Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TheKisSquared
Posts: 787
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:57 pm

Remus wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?

Columbia hasn't released aid yet, and isn't expected to until after April 1. The Class of 2019 thread might be a good thread for you to read.


OK. Anything I can do in the meantime?

Make sure all of your aid forms are submitted, other than that, not really.

Remus
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:59 pm

OK Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Remus
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:00 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?

Columbia hasn't released aid yet, and isn't expected to until after April 1. The Class of 2019 thread might be a good thread for you to read.


OK. Anything I can do in the meantime?

Make sure all of your aid forms are submitted, other than that, not really.


Thanks! Appreciate the help.

gazorpazorp
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby gazorpazorp » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:19 pm

.
Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yenisey
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:22 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby yenisey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:21 am

gazorpazorp wrote:
gsy987 wrote:Just an anecdote about negotiating working:

I emailed Michigan asking for some kind of scholarship, and gave them the following "comparable" offers:

WUSTL: 40k
GW: 25k
Minny: 35k
BC: 25k
Admit at NW

You'll notice that none of those are particularly strong comparables (that's probably even understating it.)

Anyways.. Michigan emailed me today and bumped me up to a half scholarship! Moral of the story: ALWAYS email a school to ask/negotiate, even if you don't think you have a prayer of getting anything. No matter what most schools say, they will deal and negotiate most of the time!


Hey, can you clarify what you mean by a "half" scholarship?


WUSTL 40K is comparable to Michigan 25K. No wonder.

gazorpazorp
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby gazorpazorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 am

.
Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yenisey
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:22 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby yenisey » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:23 am

gazorpazorp wrote:
gsy987 wrote:Just an anecdote about negotiating working:

I emailed Michigan asking for some kind of scholarship, and gave them the following "comparable" offers:

WUSTL: 40k
GW: 25k
Minny: 35k
BC: 25k
Admit at NW

You'll notice that none of those are particularly strong comparables (that's probably even understating it.)

Anyways.. Michigan emailed me today and bumped me up to a half scholarship! Moral of the story: ALWAYS email a school to ask/negotiate, even if you don't think you have a prayer of getting anything. No matter what most schools say, they will deal and negotiate most of the time!


Hey, can you clarify what you mean by a "half" scholarship?


He means half-tuition scholly, I think.

User avatar
gsy987
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby gsy987 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:57 am

yenisey wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:
gsy987 wrote:Just an anecdote about negotiating working:

I emailed Michigan asking for some kind of scholarship, and gave them the following "comparable" offers:

WUSTL: 40k
GW: 25k
Minny: 35k
BC: 25k
Admit at NW

You'll notice that none of those are particularly strong comparables (that's probably even understating it.)

Anyways.. Michigan emailed me today and bumped me up to a half scholarship! Moral of the story: ALWAYS email a school to ask/negotiate, even if you don't think you have a prayer of getting anything. No matter what most schools say, they will deal and negotiate most of the time!


Hey, can you clarify what you mean by a "half" scholarship?


He means half-tuition scholly, I think.


That is correct, sorry if I was unclear! And yes, I did negotiate from nothing (which sometimes is easier to do than negotiating when the school already gives you something.)

Also, I guess you could say WUSTL is comparable, though WUSTL has had a kind of wild cycle, from what I've been reading and seeing. Basically, it looks like they admitted everyone above a 167 and threw huge amounts of money at anyone above a 168, regardless of GPA & softs. So I'm sure I'm not the only one who used a huge WUSTL offer against another school!

lawyergirl94
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby lawyergirl94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:17 am

I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?

AnonymousPython
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:50 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby AnonymousPython » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:41 am

Can anyone provide me some negotiation advice over PM?

I'd prefer not to share too many details in the post, but the schools I'm seriously considering and to which I currently have offers of varying amounts are NYU, NW, Duke and Mich. NYU is my top choice (I already live in NYC with a gainfully employed s/o, and NYC big law is the post-graduation goal), but NW just offered me a windfall. First scholarship acceptance deadline is NW on 4/18 so time is precious. Will share more details over PM,

Thanks!

gazorpazorp
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby gazorpazorp » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 pm

.
Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holodigm
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Holodigm » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:07 pm

lawyergirl94 wrote:I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?


I certainly hope they're taking the new rankings into account!

As far as multiple deposits though, yellow flag - if your offer from USC was like mine, you can't have a deposit down at any other school by the 17th. If UVA's shows up on that interschool deposit database or whatever, your USC scholarship will be revoked. If that's not the case with your offer, then cool, but reread your offer letter to be safe.

lawyergirl94
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby lawyergirl94 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:11 pm

Holodigm wrote:
lawyergirl94 wrote:I've been accepted to quite a few schools, but am deciding between USC (bumped up from 60k to 75k) & UVA (60k). I am strongly leaning towards USC because I want to go into entertainment law (not really gung ho on big law) & with California as the place I want to ultimately end up, as a person with NO ties to the state or even the region, I feel that USC is the best choice. I am considering UVA primarily because of the combination of money & rank. I visited the school & while I loved it, I wasn't too thrilled with Charlottesville or even the DMV area as a whole.

As I mentioned before, USC has already bumped me from 60 to 75k. I am not visiting USC until April 15, which is when all deposits are due, with the exception of USC (due the 17th). I am considering submitting multiple deposits (UVA and USC) in an effort to get at least 90k from USC. Is this a common practice? Will the money from UVA be considered anymore by USC since they have already exceeded that?

Also, although I am not considering Emory Law School, they are (or were) higher ranked than USC & are offering me more money (84k). So feel like I have the most leverage by using them and am also considering submitting a deposit to them. Do schools take into consideration new USNWR ranks?


I certainly hope they're taking the new rankings into account!

As far as multiple deposits though, yellow flag - if your offer from USC was like mine, you can't have a deposit down at any other school by the 17th. If UVA's shows up on that interschool deposit database or whatever, your USC scholarship will be revoked. If that's not the case with your offer, then cool, but reread your offer letter to be safe.


Wow! Thank you SO much! I just read my letter again and saw that! I would've been doomed lol

t14ohlehdoit
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby t14ohlehdoit » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:18 am

What would incline GULC to up their award: full ride at UT or acceptance at Columbia (possibly at sticker - haven't gotten my aid package yet). I have one week to accept GULC's offer of 120k, and I don't want to pass up this opportunity waiting for Columbia then end up paying sticker at either institution.

lawyergirl94
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby lawyergirl94 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:06 pm

I received a bump in my scholarship offer last Tuesday, March 27 that I still felt was pretty low. I don't have any new scholarship offers or anything, but I was thinking of sending a second negotiation email tomorrow, again stressing the reasons this school is my top choice. I figured it can't hurt. But is tomorrow too soon? It'd be 6 days. If not, when's the best time to try to negotiate again?

User avatar
missie
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:49 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby missie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:17 am

lawyergirl94 wrote:I received a bump in my scholarship offer last Tuesday, March 27 that I still felt was pretty low. I don't have any new scholarship offers or anything, but I was thinking of sending a second negotiation email tomorrow, again stressing the reasons this school is my top choice. I figured it can't hurt. But is tomorrow too soon? It'd be 6 days. If not, when's the best time to try to negotiate again?


Don't wait, do it!

yunjh2725
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby yunjh2725 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 pm

.
Last edited by yunjh2725 on Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
greenapples
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby greenapples » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm

I sent an email to my school's financial aid office last Friday re possible merit scholarship and I haven't heard back yet.

Is it okay to give them a quick call? The school I'm using to wager has a deadline of 4/1 but I got it extended to 4/8. Thanks guys!!

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10955
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:04 pm

greenapples wrote:I sent an email to my school's financial aid office last Friday re possible merit scholarship and I haven't heard back yet.

Is it okay to give them a quick call? The school I'm using to wager has a deadline of 4/1 but I got it extended to 4/8. Thanks guys!!


Don't sound desperate. Give them a few days. Negotiating is about have the other party believe you have other options, which doesn't work if you sound like you're begging.

User avatar
PatriotP74
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:51 pm

Update for my negotiations, 4 schools total, 2 via forms, 2 via email. 1st email no bump but would look at it after first seat deposit. 2nd email requested copies of other offers, I never responded, 3 days later bumped me up 10k/yr to 2k short of a full ride. Both form schools have yet to respond.

User avatar
adj8103
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby adj8103 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:40 am

One of my schools replied to my letter and said no bump... A few days later bumped me from 32-36k.. Should I email again now in hopes of bump to full?

bananagram5
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby bananagram5 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 pm

What does everyone think re: request in the body of an email vs. attaching a more formal "letter" to the email?

User avatar
TheKisSquared
Posts: 787
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby TheKisSquared » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:26 pm

bananagram5 wrote:What does everyone think re: request in the body of an email vs. attaching a more formal "letter" to the email?

just send them an email. I am firmly anti attached PDFs unless specifically requested.

User avatar
adj8103
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby adj8103 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:57 pm

adj8103 wrote:One of my schools replied to my letter and said no bump... A few days later bumped me from 32-36k.. Should I email again now in hopes of bump to full?

Well, I emailed them. Within the day, they responded with no bump.... but they also did that last time and I received one anyway.....meh...

matrim133
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby matrim133 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:52 am

.
Last edited by matrim133 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], hip to be Square, longsh0305, SevenSeven77 and 9 guests