Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adj8103

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby adj8103 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:50 pm

I do not understand who to send the email to specifically... I sent one to the director of student recruitment. was this wrong? should I send a new email to the financial aid office?

laynie

Postby laynie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:46 pm

If anyone would be willing to PM me the negotiation letter they've sent, I'd be forever grateful! Feel free to delete any specifics--I'm just struggling with wording!

gazorpazorp

Postby gazorpazorp » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haewon225

Postby haewon225 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Last edited by haewon225 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatriotP74

Postby PatriotP74 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:51 am

adj8103 wrote:I do not understand who to send the email to specifically... I sent one to the director of student recruitment. was this wrong? should I send a new email to the financial aid office?

I would send it to whoever has been your main contact and notified you of the original scholarships. Out of 3 I sent, 2 went to dean of admissions and 1 to the general email because I was directed to send it there by the form.
Last edited by PatriotP74 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:15 am

haewon225 wrote:Is it worth negotiating if you're below both medians? I haven't heard back from UCLA yet, but in the best case scenario, would like to leverage UCLA and USC against each other.

yes.

adj8103

Postby adj8103 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:50 am

PatriotP74 wrote:
adj8103 wrote:I do not understand who to send the email to specifically... I sent one to the director of student recruitment. was this wrong? should I send a new email to the financial aid office?

I would send it to whoever has been your main contact and notified you of the original scholarships. Out of 3 I sent, 2 went to dean of admissions and 1 to the general email because I was directed to send it their by the form.

Ok thank you for the advice. I appreciate it

adj8103

Postby adj8103 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:40 pm

If anyone is curious. I tried to go up from about 75% at U of Miami and they said no within a few hours. They wrote a very nice, long email encouraging me to still apply there.

SpikeSeagull

Postby SpikeSeagull » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Anyone have any advice for negotiating w/ a school after you get the initial offer? Specifics for me:

—Non URM, GPA 3.78, LSAT 177
Offers are following:
—Columbia, Butler
—Chicago, 75k
—NYU, pending
—Penn, 46k
—Duke, 105k
—Cornell, 150k
—Vanderbilt, 125k
—WUSTL, Full tuition

Ideal situation would be to have Chicago/Penn to match Columbia or go higher, but I just don't know how to start the email being "Hey guys, thanks but plz give me more money." If anyone has a sample I'd appreciate it.

SlithyTove

Postby SlithyTove » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:48 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:Anyone have any advice for negotiating w/ a school after you get the initial offer? Specifics for me:

—Non URM, GPA 3.78, LSAT 177
Offers are following:
—Columbia, Butler
—Chicago, 75k
—NYU, pending
—Penn, 46k
—Duke, 105k
—Cornell, 150k
—Vanderbilt, 125k
—WUSTL, Full tuition

Ideal situation would be to have Chicago/Penn to match Columbia or go higher, but I just don't know how to start the email being "Hey guys, thanks but plz give me more money." If anyone has a sample I'd appreciate it.

My advice would be to read the first 15-20 pages of this thread. A lot of people share stories and examples of what they wrote to successfully negotiate. This thread is also very helpful: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

YoungSimba

Postby YoungSimba » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 am

Last edited by YoungSimba on Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BirdLawExpert

Postby BirdLawExpert » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:51 am

YoungSimba wrote:Hello! If anyone is willing to coach me on negotiations out of the goodness of their heart, please PM.
Scholarship offers:
UVA $0
Vanderbilt $90K
WUSTL $120K
Emory $105K
USC $90K
Financing with loans. Want to get COA as low as possible. Nervous about how to communicate and when. Can give more details about goals in PM if needed. Thank you!

I have almost these exact offers, except replace "UVA $0" with "UT $1K", replace Emory with Iowa, and USC with Alabama. If you get any solid advice, I'd really appreciate it if you could clue me in. I'll send you anything I hear, as well.

DeathByLSATWasTaken

Postby DeathByLSATWasTaken » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:22 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
YoungSimba wrote:Hello! If anyone is willing to coach me on negotiations out of the goodness of their heart, please PM.
Scholarship offers:
UVA $0
Vanderbilt $90K
WUSTL $120K
Emory $105K
USC $90K
Financing with loans. Want to get COA as low as possible. Nervous about how to communicate and when. Can give more details about goals in PM if needed. Thank you!

I have almost these exact offers, except replace "UVA $0" with "UT $1K", replace Emory with Iowa, and USC with Alabama. If you get any solid advice, I'd really appreciate it if you could clue me in. I'll send you anything I hear, as well.

I'm also in a very similar positions, and FWIW I emailed Emory this morning (I also got $105k) and heard back immediately that they don't negotiate scholarships.

hhollow

Postby hhollow » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:38 am

Has anyone ever asked a school for a formal copy of their scholarship offer?

I got my scholarship info only in the body of the acceptance email, and want to use this school to negotiate with others. Not sure if it's bad form to ask for something official.

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 am

hhollow wrote:Has anyone ever asked a school for a formal copy of their scholarship offer?

I got my scholarship info only in the body of the acceptance email, and want to use this school to negotiate with others. Not sure if it's bad form to ask for something official.

That is an official copy...?

hhollow

Postby hhollow » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:49 am

lymenheimer wrote:
hhollow wrote:Has anyone ever asked a school for a formal copy of their scholarship offer?

That is an official copy...?

It is? :oops: Would it look silly if I forward this email to the other school?
Last edited by hhollow on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

archipm

Postby archipm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:59 am

I just took a screenshot of the email and made it a PDF.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:16 am

archipm wrote:

You can also just print the email to PDF.

hhollow

Postby hhollow » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:37 am

TheKisSquared wrote:
archipm wrote:

You can also just print the email to PDF.

Great, I think I'll just do this. Thanks!

dylarama

Postby dylarama » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Getting a little ahead of myself here, but I'm on 7 waitlists so I'm assuming there's a reasonable chance I will get off at least 1. What's the protocol for discussing scholarships after an acceptance off the waitlist (especially in the summer)? Has anybody had success negotiating a scholarship based on in-state status at a peer school (specifically in-state at Texas -> low-T14)?

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:49 pm

dylarama wrote:Getting a little ahead of myself here, but I'm on 7 waitlists so I'm assuming there's a reasonable chance I will get off at least 1. What's the protocol for discussing scholarships after an acceptance off the waitlist (especially in the summer)? Has anybody had success negotiating a scholarship based on in-state status at a peer school (specifically in-state at Texas -> low-T14)?

I cannot answer the part about in-state status, but I personally know people who were given money at GULC, at least, after receiving offers from the wait list. Same basic idea as negotiating normally, but maybe be more realistic in your ask. "I would love to go here but I've been offered x at y school, I will lose my deposit, any financial help the school can offer would greatly aid my decision. [wl school] also has a higher cost of living which I must factor into my consideration." etc. I also know people who were given more aid after accepting. depends on the finaid office.

gsy987

Postby gsy987 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Just an anecdote about negotiating working:

I emailed Michigan asking for some kind of scholarship, and gave them the following "comparable" offers:

WUSTL: 40k
GW: 25k
Minny: 35k
BC: 25k
Admit at NW

You'll notice that none of those are particularly strong comparables (that's probably even understating it.)

Anyways.. Michigan emailed me today and bumped me up to a half scholarship! Moral of the story: ALWAYS email a school to ask/negotiate, even if you don't think you have a prayer of getting anything. No matter what most schools say, they will deal and negotiate most of the time!

Remus

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Remus wrote:Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?

Columbia hasn't released aid yet, and isn't expected to until after April 1. The Class of 2019 thread might be a good thread for you to read.

Remus

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:56 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
Remus wrote:Hey, first time posting on this forum. Anyone have any information on merit-based scholarships for columbia? Aside from Hamilton & Butlers I haven't seen much. Help?

Columbia hasn't released aid yet, and isn't expected to until after April 1. The Class of 2019 thread might be a good thread for you to read.

OK. Anything I can do in the meantime?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”