Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darkchildnana

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby darkchildnana » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm

BirdLawExpert wrote:
Draconem wrote:Could someone please PM me their negotiation letter?

I could really use some help.

+1

+100

cakeslayer0623

Postby cakeslayer0623 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:49 pm

Hey guys, longtime lurker here, I have received merit scholarship information from two schools but have also applied for other special scholarships at each. I'd like to negotiate the merit scholarship amount, but should I wait until I know if I got the special scholarships?

Thanks!

Drmrndaphd

Postby Drmrndaphd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Hand wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:Need some help here guys... Finally got my GULC offer. My current offers are:

Michigan 45k (somewhat disappointing)
GULC 60k (immensely disappointing)
USC 150k
WUSTL full scholarship
GW 105k (disappointing)

I was hoping to use my eventual GULC offer to pull Michigan up to around 60 or 70k. In order to pull me away from Mich at all, GULC would honestly have to offer something in the six-figure range.

Any ideas on how to achieve my somewhat lofty goals (Get Mich up to 60-70k and GULC up to 100k)?

I'm thinking I'm first going to approach GW and USC and try to get them up to full rides. Then I'll go to GULC and blatantly (but as diplomatically as possible) tell them that a) there is no chance I will attend with their current offer, and b) I will very strongly consider attending if they offer something closer 40k/yr.

I'll save Michigan for last, and hopefully I'll have a better GULC offer to show them.

Thoughts?

You could take your USC and WUSTL offers to GW, and then take a hopefully higher offer from GW plus the other two to GULC. But with their April 1st deadline for you saying something, I'd probably take your USC and WUSTL offers to GULC right now, and maybe also mention your Mich offer, provided you can make a case about how it's cheaper for you to go there (would it be?), while at the same time trying to negotiate with GW. GULC is known to be responsive to offers from the likes of WUSTL, USC and GW; can't speak to Mich. GULC is also not unresponsive to bluntly asserting it's still too expensive right now. Me and others had success by saying "I'd need at least XXX to commit" last year. Good luck.

Would you ,mind PMing me the letter/email you sent last year?

Draconem

Postby Draconem » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Drmrndaphd wrote:
Hand wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:Need some help here guys... Finally got my GULC offer. My current offers are:

Michigan 45k (somewhat disappointing)
GULC 60k (immensely disappointing)
USC 150k
WUSTL full scholarship
GW 105k (disappointing)

I was hoping to use my eventual GULC offer to pull Michigan up to around 60 or 70k. In order to pull me away from Mich at all, GULC would honestly have to offer something in the six-figure range.

Any ideas on how to achieve my somewhat lofty goals (Get Mich up to 60-70k and GULC up to 100k)?

I'm thinking I'm first going to approach GW and USC and try to get them up to full rides. Then I'll go to GULC and blatantly (but as diplomatically as possible) tell them that a) there is no chance I will attend with their current offer, and b) I will very strongly consider attending if they offer something closer 40k/yr.

I'll save Michigan for last, and hopefully I'll have a better GULC offer to show them.

Thoughts?

You could take your USC and WUSTL offers to GW, and then take a hopefully higher offer from GW plus the other two to GULC. But with their April 1st deadline for you saying something, I'd probably take your USC and WUSTL offers to GULC right now, and maybe also mention your Mich offer, provided you can make a case about how it's cheaper for you to go there (would it be?), while at the same time trying to negotiate with GW. GULC is known to be responsive to offers from the likes of WUSTL, USC and GW; can't speak to Mich. GULC is also not unresponsive to bluntly asserting it's still too expensive right now. Me and others had success by saying "I'd need at least XXX to commit" last year. Good luck.

Would you ,mind PMing me the letter/email you sent last year?

I'd really appreciate it if you could send it to me as well.

Drmrndaphd

Postby Drmrndaphd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Ohio State University (Moritz) -- $48,000.00
University of Michigan -- &75,000.00
Boston University -- $90,000.00
Vanderbilt U (TN) -- $105,000.00
Boston College -- $111,000.00
Emory U (GA) -- $111,000.00
University of Virginia-- $0.00

Still waiting on offers from Cornell, GULC, and Duke. Any advice on either a) getting any aid from UVA (my dream school) or b) maximizing aid so that I can actually afford law school?

jobz

Postby jobz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Has anyone tried or heard of trying to negotiate a 2nd time? I'm kind of disappointed with the scholarship increase. If is possible do to close to seat deposits?

sadie T.

Postby sadie T. » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Tried to negotiate with BC, but was told they won't have much money to negotiate with until after the seat deposit deadline. Are they assuming that I will pay the seat deposit and then we will negotiate? Or, is it possible to negotiate without paying the seat deposit? I guess my question is really, how hard of a deadline are seat deposit dates?

sjp200

Postby sjp200 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Drmrndaphd wrote:Ohio State University (Moritz) -- $48,000.00
University of Michigan -- &75,000.00
Boston University -- $90,000.00
Vanderbilt U (TN) -- $105,000.00
Boston College -- $111,000.00
Emory U (GA) -- $111,000.00
University of Virginia-- $0.00

Still waiting on offers from Cornell, GULC, and Duke. Any advice on either a) getting any aid from UVA (my dream school) or b) maximizing aid so that I can actually afford law school?

My advice would be to take vandy, BC, and Emory to BU, then take adjusted Vandy and BU to Michigan, then try taking Vandy, Michigan and maybe BU to UVA.

HTlaw

Postby HTlaw » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 am

Can I use a school that I sent a withdrawal letter to to negotiate with another school? I sent the letter last week via snail mail and received an email from them today with a scholarship bump..So I'm not sure they have received the letter yet or maybe received it then offered me more money?

madoodle16

Postby madoodle16 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:46 am

biddymulligan wrote:Has anyone tried to negotiate scholarships with NYU yet? I want to ensure I reach out to the correct contact in order to do so.

would like to know as well

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:20 pm

I never seem to email the right person. They always say they will forward it on and I never hear anything back.

edditb

Postby edditb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:22 pm

For those who have already started the negotiating process, were you asked for your fall grades and other updates? I just got a nice scholarship and want to take it to my top choice but I had some bad fall grades and am worried that I'll bring them out of the woodwork too early and jeopardize my acceptance for a potentially small amount of money. Ty!

GrandJC

Postby GrandJC » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:27 pm

edditb wrote:For those who have already started the negotiating process, were you asked for your fall grades and other updates? I just got a nice scholarship and want to take it to my top choice but I had some bad fall grades and am worried that I'll bring them out of the woodwork too early and jeopardize my acceptance for a potentially small amount of money. Ty!

I got a $35K bump from a school and they never asked for fall grades. I think if your grades improve you can update them on your grades yourself, but generally, I do not think they ask. At least in my situation they didn't.

tuesdayninja

Postby tuesdayninja » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm

sadie T. wrote:Tried to negotiate with BC, but was told they won't have much money to negotiate with until after the seat deposit deadline. Are they assuming that I will pay the seat deposit and then we will negotiate? Or, is it possible to negotiate without paying the seat deposit? I guess my question is really, how hard of a deadline are seat deposit dates?

+1

monceau

Postby monceau » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:39 pm

Stupid question: when negotiating, do you need to show the school the actual scholarship letters from other schools? Or can you just mention that you got X amount from such and such school?

JuliusCaesar

Postby JuliusCaesar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:49 pm

monceau wrote:Stupid question: when negotiating, do you need to show the school the actual scholarship letters from other schools? Or can you just mention that you got X amount from such and such school?

Attach pdfs

monceau

Postby monceau » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:49 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:
monceau wrote:Stupid question: when negotiating, do you need to show the school the actual scholarship letters from other schools? Or can you just mention that you got X amount from such and such school?

Attach pdfs

Thanks!

southerntexan

Postby southerntexan » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Whats the best way about negotiating away stipulations and receiving more money? Is it best to ask for them separately or in one shot?

js7981

Postby js7981 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:35 pm

deleted

ltbenn

Postby ltbenn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Anyone have any advice for the second round of negotiations?

Got an initial offer, wrote back with what appears to be the standard "I'd love to enroll, daunting loans, blah blah", and just got a new offer (50% increase). The school is without a doubt my first choice (of the ones I've been accepted to), which I mentioned in the reconsideration request, but it'd really take a bit more $$ for me to feel comfortable choosing it over other, much larger offers from slightly-less-prestigious-but-still-great schools.

Thoughts?

ohthatjenn

Postby ohthatjenn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 pm

ssitt wrote:
BirdLawExpert wrote:
Draconem wrote:Could someone please PM me their negotiation letter?

I could really use some help.

+1

+100

++++1 please anyone?! I'm waiting on most of T14 still but it would be helpful when the time comes!

PatriotP74

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:34 pm

ltbenn wrote:Anyone have any advice for the second round of negotiations?

Got an initial offer, wrote back with what appears to be the standard "I'd love to enroll, daunting loans, blah blah", and just got a new offer (50% increase). The school is without a doubt my first choice (of the ones I've been accepted to), which I mentioned in the reconsideration request, but it'd really take a bit more $$ for me to feel comfortable choosing it over other, much larger offers from slightly-less-prestigious-but-still-great schools.

Thoughts?

Just tell them exactly what it will take, it's not going to hurt anything. But be sure you are positive you'd attend for that amount if you make promises!

ih8makingscreennames

Postby ih8makingscreennames » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:39 pm

ltbenn wrote:Anyone have any advice for the second round of negotiations?

Thoughts?

Would you [or anyone] mind sending me a copy of your letter? You can redact all you wish.

I think for you personally, you can factor in things like COL or if you have undergrad debt. Just try and make it sound sincere. I think if there was a number that would make you send in the forms tomorrow, you could include that? I've seen people say that they have done that with some success.

lawyergirl94

Postby lawyergirl94 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:49 pm

Okay, so:

Michigan (45k)
UVA (60k)
Texas (76k)
Emory (84k)
USC (60k)
GW (75k)
Irvine (135j)

Anyone had any success negotiating w. USC? Thinking of sending UVA, Texas, Emory, GW, & Irvine to them. Any predictions or recommendations?

ohthatjenn

Postby ohthatjenn » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:01 pm

lawyergirl94 wrote:Okay, so:

Michigan (45k)
UVA (60k)
Texas (76k)
Emory (84k)
USC (60k)
GW (75k)
Irvine (135j)

Anyone had any success negotiating w. USC? Thinking of sending UVA, Texas, Emory, GW, & Irvine to them. Any predictions or recommendations?

I heard USC doesnt really care for anything other than T14 and UCLA but it doesnt hurt to try of course! Im waiting on UCLA so i can negotiate with USC. Good luck!!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”