Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tuesdayninja

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tuesdayninja » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:49 pm

My current cycle:
WashU: 84k
UMinnesota: 90k
BC: 75K
Loyola Chicago: 96k
Chicago-Kent: 90k
Iowa: Accepted but on scholarship waitlist

Still waiting on acceptances at BU and Notre Dame.

Currently live in Chicago but would like to end up in Boston so BU/BC are top choices. Should I wait on acceptances/money from ND and BU before emailing BC for negotiations? Or do I have enough leverage currently with WashU and UMinnesota? BU will give me the most leverage against BC (if I get money) but I want to get the ball rolling on negotiations sooner than later when scholarship money gets more tight. Any other general negotiation tips would be appreciated too.

dasani13

Postby dasani13 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:07 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:My current cycle:
WashU: 84k
UMinnesota: 90k
BC: 75K
Loyola Chicago: 96k
Chicago-Kent: 90k
Iowa: Accepted but on scholarship waitlist

Still waiting on acceptances at BU and Notre Dame.

Currently live in Chicago but would like to end up in Boston so BU/BC are top choices. Should I wait on acceptances/money from ND and BU before emailing BC for negotiations? Or do I have enough leverage currently with WashU and UMinnesota? BU will give me the most leverage against BC (if I get money) but I want to get the ball rolling on negotiations sooner than later when scholarship money gets more tight. Any other general negotiation tips would be appreciated too.

BU will likely (at least) match whatever WashU gives you.

16to19

Postby 16to19 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Last edited by 16to19 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

purplepansy wrote:So I sent out an email to San Diego after their initial scholarship offer of $23,000 a year asking for an increased amount. Today, I just got a letter saying I am receiving the Dean's Honor Scholarship which covers full tuition ($39,000) and a gives me a living stipend! This pretty much just made my decision.

Excellent bargain! I received an initial 28K/yr and leveraged with another offer of 40K. They responded with an amended amount of 35K/yr.

gobeers

Postby gobeers » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 am

If I have 102k from Emory, is it worth it to start negotiating USC's 20k right now? Or should I wait on my last few schools to hopefully increase my bargaining chip?

Also, anyone know if its possible to negotiate scholarships after getting off a waitlist (UCLA or Texas specifically).

Thanks!

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:03 am

gobeers wrote:If I have 102k from Emory, is it worth it to start negotiating USC's 20k right now? Or should I wait on my last few schools to hopefully increase my bargaining chip?

Also, anyone know if its possible to negotiate scholarships after getting off a waitlist (UCLA or Texas specifically).

Thanks!

Emory 102K/3yrs, USC 20k/yr?

UDtoLawSchool

Postby UDtoLawSchool » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:18 pm

sadie T. wrote:
bnssweeney wrote:Anyone have success negotiating with Brooklyn?

+1

I negotiated from 30K to 35K a year after sending a full ride offer from St. John's

bnssweeney

Postby bnssweeney » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:28 pm

UDtoLawSchool wrote:
sadie T. wrote:

+1

I negotiated from 30K to 35K a year after sending a full ride offer from St. John's

Can I PM you?

sadie T.

Postby sadie T. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:31 pm

How do you ask for a living stipend? I have a full ride offer, and other lesser offers from much higher ranked schools, but a full ride with a living stipend would probably seal the deal...

UDtoLawSchool

Postby UDtoLawSchool » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:37 pm

bnssweeney wrote:
UDtoLawSchool wrote:
sadie T. wrote:

+1

Can I PM you?

Sure!

hammocklv06

Postby hammocklv06 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:38 pm

sadie T. wrote:How do you ask for a living stipend? I have a full ride offer, and other lesser offers from much higher ranked schools, but a full ride with a living stipend would probably seal the deal...

Just go back and say "While (insert law school name here) is among my top choices for law school, merit aid will play a significant role in my decision, blah blah etc. If (insert law school name here) was able to provide an annual living stipend in the amount of $X, I would be willing to definitively commit to your school."

sadie T.

Postby sadie T. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:44 pm

hammocklv06 wrote:
sadie T. wrote:How do you ask for a living stipend? I have a full ride offer, and other lesser offers from much higher ranked schools, but a full ride with a living stipend would probably seal the deal...

Just go back and say "While (insert law school name here) is among my top choices for law school, merit aid will play a significant role in my decision, blah blah etc. If (insert law school name here) was able to provide an annual living stipend in the amount of $X, I would be willing to definitively commit to your school."

Thanks. How "definite" do you think that commitment has to be??

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:46 pm

sadie T. wrote:
hammocklv06 wrote:

How definite would someone's commitment have to be to you for you to schill out more in order to pay them to come to you?

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:46 pm

sadie T. wrote:
hammocklv06 wrote:

Don't offer it unless you mean to accept it.

16to19

Postby 16to19 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Last edited by 16to19 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gobeers

Postby gobeers » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:58 pm

yenisey wrote:
gobeers wrote:If I have 102k from Emory, is it worth it to start negotiating USC's 20k right now? Or should I wait on my last few schools to hopefully increase my bargaining chip?

Thanks!

Emory 102K/3yrs, USC 20k/yr?

yeah my bad. Emory 102 k/3 years; USC 60 k/3 years

PatriotP74

Postby PatriotP74 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:04 pm

hammocklv06 wrote:

How common is it to request/offer this, I am negotiating with schools and one of them if they upped my offer to full tuition I would 100% commit to them. But I don't want to come across the wrong way by mentioning that?

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:07 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:
hammocklv06 wrote:

How common is it to request/offer this, I am negotiating with schools and one of them if they upped my offer to full tuition I would 100% commit to them. But I don't want to come across the wrong way by mentioning that?

The worst they say is no, and if you mean it, offer it.

hammocklv06

Postby hammocklv06 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:
hammocklv06 wrote:

The worst they say is no, and if you mean it, offer it.

+1 agree completely - it's probably better to overshoot a bit and give them the number that would 100% pull you in, or even a bit of a higher offer, because they may counter, and their counter-offer will likely be higher if your initial ask is higher.

Draconem

Postby Draconem » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:29 pm

Could someone please PM me their negotiation letter?

I could really use some help.

gazorpazorp

Postby gazorpazorp » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:13 pm

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

gazorpazorp wrote:Need some help here guys... Finally got my GULC offer. My current offers are:

Michigan 45k (somewhat disappointing)
GULC 60k (immensely disappointing)
USC 150k
WUSTL full scholarship
GW 105k (disappointing)

I was hoping to use my eventual GULC offer to pull Michigan up to around 60 or 70k. In order to pull me away from Mich at all, GULC would honestly have to offer something in the six-figure range.

Any ideas on how to achieve my somewhat lofty goals (Get Mich up to 60-70k and GULC up to 100k)?

I'm thinking I'm first going to approach GW and USC and try to get them up to full rides. Then I'll go to GULC and blatantly (but as diplomatically as possible) tell them that a) there is no chance I will attend with their current offer, and b) I will very strongly consider attending if they offer something closer 40k/yr.

I'll save Michigan for last, and hopefully I'll have a better GULC offer to show them.

Thoughts?

You could take your USC and WUSTL offers to GW, and then take a hopefully higher offer from GW plus the other two to GULC. But with their April 1st deadline for you saying something, I'd probably take your USC and WUSTL offers to GULC right now, and maybe also mention your Mich offer, provided you can make a case about how it's cheaper for you to go there (would it be?), while at the same time trying to negotiate with GW. GULC is known to be responsive to offers from the likes of WUSTL, USC and GW; can't speak to Mich. GULC is also not unresponsive to bluntly asserting it's still too expensive right now. Me and others had success by saying "I'd need at least XXX to commit" last year. Good luck.

gazorpazorp

Postby gazorpazorp » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:39 am

Hand wrote:
gazorpazorp wrote:Need some help here guys... Finally got my GULC offer. My current offers are:

Michigan 45k (somewhat disappointing)
GULC 60k (immensely disappointing)
USC 150k
WUSTL full scholarship
GW 105k (disappointing)

I was hoping to use my eventual GULC offer to pull Michigan up to around 60 or 70k. In order to pull me away from Mich at all, GULC would honestly have to offer something in the six-figure range.

Any ideas on how to achieve my somewhat lofty goals (Get Mich up to 60-70k and GULC up to 100k)?

I'm thinking I'm first going to approach GW and USC and try to get them up to full rides. Then I'll go to GULC and blatantly (but as diplomatically as possible) tell them that a) there is no chance I will attend with their current offer, and b) I will very strongly consider attending if they offer something closer 40k/yr.

I'll save Michigan for last, and hopefully I'll have a better GULC offer to show them.

Thoughts?

You could take your USC and WUSTL offers to GW, and then take a hopefully higher offer from GW plus the other two to GULC. But with their April 1st deadline for you saying something, I'd probably take your USC and WUSTL offers to GULC right now, and maybe also mention your Mich offer, provided you can make a case about how it's cheaper for you to go there (would it be?), while at the same time trying to negotiate with GW. GULC is known to be responsive to offers from the likes of WUSTL, USC and GW; can't speak to Mich. GULC is also not unresponsive to bluntly asserting it's still too expensive right now. Me and others had success by saying "I'd need at least XXX to commit" last year. Good luck.

That's good to hear because this is essentially the approach I've taken in sending out my emails today. Thanks.

As far as the April 1st deadline goes, would you be able to clarify -- it isn't "binding," correct? I can still continue negotiating with these schools after April 1st, I just need to send in the form to "reserve" the offer?

BirdLawExpert

Postby BirdLawExpert » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:58 am

Last edited by BirdLawExpert on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:00 pm

gazorpazorp wrote:
As far as the April 1st deadline goes, would you be able to clarify -- it isn't "binding," correct? I can still continue negotiating with these schools after April 1st, I just need to send in the form to "reserve" the offer?

Correct. You can, and should, keep negotiating after that. The "reserve the offer" stuff only serves to tell them you're still interested. Once seat deposit deadlines come around it's a different story, of course, but this is not binding in any way.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”