Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ramybamy
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ramybamy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm getting ready to do some negotiations between schools and I was wondering, is it necessary to attach evidence of the scholarship granted from the other school's offer that you are using? Or do you just simply explain in the email "X school gave me Y amount of money"

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby jumbo2016 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:28 pm

ramybamy wrote:I'm getting ready to do some negotiations between schools and I was wondering, is it necessary to attach evidence of the scholarship granted from the other school's offer that you are using? Or do you just simply explain in the email "X school gave me Y amount of money"


attach a PDF of the scholarship offer

User avatar
ramybamy
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ramybamy » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:39 pm

jumbo2016 wrote:
ramybamy wrote:I'm getting ready to do some negotiations between schools and I was wondering, is it necessary to attach evidence of the scholarship granted from the other school's offer that you are using? Or do you just simply explain in the email "X school gave me Y amount of money"


attach a PDF of the scholarship offer


thank you!

igo2northwestern
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby igo2northwestern » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:45 pm

ramybamy wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
ramybamy wrote:I'm getting ready to do some negotiations between schools and I was wondering, is it necessary to attach evidence of the scholarship granted from the other school's offer that you are using? Or do you just simply explain in the email "X school gave me Y amount of money"


attach a PDF of the scholarship offer


thank you!

Wait is this actually the practice? Because it seems awfully crass to me.

My understanding is that most admission folks are well connected and understand the scholarship practices of other schools. Explaining in an email should be sufficient.

purplepen55
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby purplepen55 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:53 pm

.
Last edited by purplepen55 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jumbo2016
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby jumbo2016 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:55 am

igo2northwestern wrote:
ramybamy wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
ramybamy wrote:I'm getting ready to do some negotiations between schools and I was wondering, is it necessary to attach evidence of the scholarship granted from the other school's offer that you are using? Or do you just simply explain in the email "X school gave me Y amount of money"


attach a PDF of the scholarship offer


thank you!

Wait is this actually the practice? Because it seems awfully crass to me.

My understanding is that most admission folks are well connected and understand the scholarship practices of other schools. Explaining in an email should be sufficient.


I know I've read before that you should attach the offer. I'm also sure that some people do it and some people don't so it probably doesn't matter all that much

User avatar
JuliusCaesar
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:58 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby JuliusCaesar » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:50 pm

Can anyone give insight as to who to contact for cornell to negotiate?

User avatar
sfoglia
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sfoglia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:59 pm

purplepen55 wrote:In at HYS, Ruby, Hamilton


:shock:

MOKE4311
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MOKE4311 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Has anyone begun or thought about beginning negotiations with BC? I have read, mostly here, that BC is stingy and generally does not negotiate. I would like to at least test this out. I got an almost identical offer (75k) from University of Minnesota. I would think that the large disparity in rankings would be a benefit, however the regional differences are ridiculous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
mayorscurvy
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby mayorscurvy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:21 pm

MOKE4311 wrote:Has anyone begun or thought about beginning negotiations with BC? I have read, mostly here, that BC is stingy and generally does not negotiate. I would like to at least test this out. I got an almost identical offer (75k) from University of Minnesota. I would think that the large disparity in rankings would be a benefit, however the regional differences are ridiculous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


Worth a shot, but yeah you already mentioned, I wouldn't get your hopes up b/c vastly different regions.

JimmyPacquiao
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:59 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby JimmyPacquiao » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:53 am

So I'm currently strategizing how I can go about negotiations given my acceptances/offers. So far I've gotten
120k from UC Irvine
105k from USC
80k from UCLA
In at Boalt, scholarship (if any) TBD

At this point, I'm not really sure where I want to go, but I do know I want to get the best offer possible from all of them. Any tips on strategizing?

tezzeret
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tezzeret » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

jumbo2016 wrote:
igo2northwestern wrote:
ramybamy wrote:
jumbo2016 wrote:
ramybamy wrote:I'm getting ready to do some negotiations between schools and I was wondering, is it necessary to attach evidence of the scholarship granted from the other school's offer that you are using? Or do you just simply explain in the email "X school gave me Y amount of money"


attach a PDF of the scholarship offer


thank you!

Wait is this actually the practice? Because it seems awfully crass to me.

My understanding is that most admission folks are well connected and understand the scholarship practices of other schools. Explaining in an email should be sufficient.


I know I've read before that you should attach the offer. I'm also sure that some people do it and some people don't so it probably doesn't matter all that much
yeah I am curious too about pdf vs no pdf, and also generally how many offers should you present? Also, if you have high offers from lower ranked schools and admits at higher ranked school with little to no money should you mention those too?

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby duras92 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 am

So I e-mailed the dean of a certain school about reconsideration of my scholarship offer. She said she would call me today to discuss it over the phone. Is this normal practice? I was under the impression that all scholarship "negotiation" took place over e-mail, rather than over the phone.

I'm nervous she'll put me on the spot and ask me to deposit immediately if my scholarship is increased. What do I do?? :oops:

GreatBraffsby
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby GreatBraffsby » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 am

duras92 wrote:So I e-mailed the dean of a certain school about reconsideration of my scholarship offer. She said she would call me today to discuss it over the phone. Is this normal practice? I was under the impression that all scholarship "negotiation" took place over e-mail, rather than over the phone.

I'm nervous she'll put me on the spot and ask me to deposit immediately if my scholarship is increased. What do I do?? :oops:


Tell her that you're flattered and that the scholarship has changed your mind, but you don't feel comfortable committing until talking to your parents/significant other and taking time to make sure this is truly what's best.

Your reaction should also depend on if this is your first choice, one of a few contenders, or an unlikely destination you are using to leverage another school. Don't be afraid to burn bridges at the latter type of school if it comes down to it. Also that wouldn't be a binding agreement, and even if you deposited you can always keep negotiating or double deposit if another offer arises.

Honestly, this is an unlikely worst-case scenario that came from anxiety/overthinking. I'm also one of the people that likes to have a contingency plan for every little thing that can go wrong, so I understand where you're coming from. Just know that if a dean is taking time out of her schedule to talk to you, that probably means you're the type of student they want. It's also possible the dean is worried about you using a written offer to influence another school, so she will issue a verbal increase that you can't verify when talking to other law schools.

User avatar
duras92
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:46 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby duras92 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:23 am

GreatBraffsby wrote:
duras92 wrote:So I e-mailed the dean of a certain school about reconsideration of my scholarship offer. She said she would call me today to discuss it over the phone. Is this normal practice? I was under the impression that all scholarship "negotiation" took place over e-mail, rather than over the phone.

I'm nervous she'll put me on the spot and ask me to deposit immediately if my scholarship is increased. What do I do?? :oops:


Tell her that you're flattered and that the scholarship has changed your mind, but you don't feel comfortable committing until talking to your parents/significant other and taking time to make sure this is truly what's best.

Your reaction should also depend on if this is your first choice, one of a few contenders, or an unlikely destination you are using to leverage another school. Don't be afraid to burn bridges at the latter type of school if it comes down to it. Also that wouldn't be a binding agreement, and even if you deposited you can always keep negotiating or double deposit if another offer arises.

Honestly, this is an unlikely worst-case scenario that came from anxiety/overthinking. I'm also one of the people that likes to have a contingency plan for every little thing that can go wrong, so I understand where you're coming from. Just know that if a dean is taking time out of her schedule to talk to you, that probably means you're the type of student they want. It's also possible the dean is worried about you using a written offer to influence another school, so she will issue a verbal increase that you can't verify when talking to other law schools.


First of all, thanks for the advice.

This is definitely a school I am interested in attending. However, there is at least one other that I am at least as interested in - if not slightly more interested in.

Do you think she could ask something like "If I were to increase your amount from X to Y, you would commit to attending?" I just don't want to be pushed into a corner! :o

gazorpazorp
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:42 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby gazorpazorp » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:24 pm

.
Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunflower410
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sunflower410 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Do you guys think there's any merit in mentioning WL from higher ranked schools? I got waitlisted at Georgetown and was wondering if it's worth mentioning it to USC in the email to increase their current $$ offer.

cj346
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby cj346 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:45 pm

sunflower410 wrote:Do you guys think there's any merit in mentioning WL from higher ranked schools? I got waitlisted at Georgetown and was wondering if it's worth mentioning it to USC in the email to increase their current $$ offer.


I can't speak from experience, but that seems like the exact opposite of what you would want to do. That only makes USC's position stronger for not giving you money.

tezzeret
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tezzeret » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 pm

I need very specific advice on my negotiations, anyone willing to help me via pm?

Jgd272
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Jgd272 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:26 am

Hey all! Was hoping to get a little input on my game plan. Here are the schools I currently have scholarship offers from:

1: Vandy - $90,000
2: Fordham - $120,000
3: Cardozo - $150,000

As of now, I'm planning on first going to back to Vandy with Fordham's and Cardozo's offers to see if they will offer me more money. Next, I was planning on going back to Fordham with Vandy's new offer (fingers crossed) and Cardozo's offer to see if they will give me more.

Does this make sense to you guys as far as the initial steps go? Any input is more than welcome.

MOKE4311
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MOKE4311 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:51 am

Jgd272 wrote:Hey all! Was hoping to get a little input on my game plan. Here are the schools I currently have scholarship offers from:

1: Vandy - $90,000
2: Fordham - $120,000
3: Cardozo - $150,000

As of now, I'm planning on first going to back to Vandy with Fordham's and Cardozo's offers to see if they will offer me more money. Next, I was planning on going back to Fordham with Vandy's new offer (fingers crossed) and Cardozo's offer to see if they will give me more.

Does this make sense to you guys as far as the initial steps go? Any input is more than welcome.

Reread your Vandy letter, they specifically say that they don't negotiate. I mean it may not hurt to try? Just don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere with them. Additionally, even if they do play ball, I don't think Fordham and Cardozo are comparable regionally or in terms of prestige. They are just too far away on all counts. They are NY schools and so 90k in Nashville goes a shitload further than 120/150 in NYC.

Jgd272
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Jgd272 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 pm

MOKE4311 wrote:
Jgd272 wrote:Hey all! Was hoping to get a little input on my game plan. Here are the schools I currently have scholarship offers from:

1: Vandy - $90,000
2: Fordham - $120,000
3: Cardozo - $150,000

As of now, I'm planning on first going to back to Vandy with Fordham's and Cardozo's offers to see if they will offer me more money. Next, I was planning on going back to Fordham with Vandy's new offer (fingers crossed) and Cardozo's offer to see if they will give me more.

Does this make sense to you guys as far as the initial steps go? Any input is more than welcome.

Reread your Vandy letter, they specifically say that they don't negotiate. I mean it may not hurt to try? Just don't be surprised if you don't get anywhere with them. Additionally, even if they do play ball, I don't think Fordham and Cardozo are comparable regionally or in terms of prestige. They are just too far away on all counts. They are NY schools and so 90k in Nashville goes a shitload further than 120/150 in NYC.


Thanks for the quick response!

I saw that language in the email but figured it was just a "formality". Noted regarding the COL difference between the locations. I figured asking for more money from Vandy is a longshot (for the reasons you mentioned above). As I have to stay in NYC, perhaps it may be worth me just going directly to Fordham with Vandy's and Cardozo's initial offers...

User avatar
fliptrip
Posts: 1879
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby fliptrip » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Jgd272 wrote:Thanks for the quick response!

I saw that language in the email but figured it was just a "formality". Noted regarding the COL difference between the locations. I figured asking for more money from Vandy is a longshot (for the reasons you mentioned above). As I have to stay in NYC, perhaps it may be worth me just going directly to Fordham with Vandy's and Cardozo's initial offers...


Oh no, I wouldn't read it as a formality at all. I think those folks are serious. They do open the door for you to make a plea for more money based on need. You should try to do that and manage your expectations (probably not going to work). Also, if this were a straight negotiation, you don't have much leverage presenting Fordham and 'dozo to Vandy.

Jgd272
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Jgd272 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 pm

fliptrip wrote:
Jgd272 wrote:Thanks for the quick response!

I saw that language in the email but figured it was just a "formality". Noted regarding the COL difference between the locations. I figured asking for more money from Vandy is a longshot (for the reasons you mentioned above). As I have to stay in NYC, perhaps it may be worth me just going directly to Fordham with Vandy's and Cardozo's initial offers...


Oh no, I wouldn't read it as a formality at all. I think those folks are serious. They do open the door for you to make a plea for more money based on need. You should try to do that and manage your expectations (probably not going to work). Also, if this were a straight negotiation, you don't have much leverage presenting Fordham and 'dozo to Vandy.


Thank you for the response. I've also received a few PMs echoing the sentiment that Vandy does not, in fact, negotiate.

ftge232
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:54 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ftge232 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:07 pm

So I was accepted to CCN but with no money offered as of yet (must've heard I'm ugly).. do you think I have any chance of negotiating some cash from Columbia/NYU with a 175 LSAT and 25<GPA<50?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leliana and 15 guests