gazorpazorp wrote:I'm itching to start negotiating but wondering if I should wait. My current options are (all initial offers):
GULC (will hear about scholarship $ hopefully in March)
WUSTL (Full ride + Dean's Fellowship)
Still waiting on an admission decision from UVA -- they just asked me to interview over the phone next Fri so fingers crossed that that means I'm most likely in (it is a slight "reach").
Question #1) ATM I'm very tempted to bring the WUSTL offer to USC and GW right now, & try to get them to also offer full rides (COL is higher in DC and CA, etc etc). But should I wait until I also have the Georgetown offer on the table in order to have maximum leverage? I'm just worried they'll take too long and I'll be in a time crunch.
Question #2) Regarding my top 2 choices (Mich/GULC)... Say Georgetown gets back to me and offers around 70k. Should I immediately take that offer to Michigan & try to get Michigan to up their current 45k offer?
Or, alternatively, should I directly respond to Georgetown's initial offer by mentioning Michigan's 45k offer & WUSTL's full scholly -- and try to get them to up their offer right out of the gate? And hold off on bringing Georgetown's offer to Michigan until it is (hopefully) a bit higher than it was initially?
Pretty sure I'm way overthinking this.
Good luck at UVA! Rumor has it those interviews are screeners to see if you're really interested in the school. I'm a splitter with similar offers from places (slightly less as GW and Michigan) and was admitted the same day I interviewed after talking about specific professors and programs I was (truthfully) interested in. I haven't heard anything from UVA re scholarships yet because they require the FAFSA and Need Access, I believe.
I would wait until you hear back from GULC and UVA. A lot of schools aren't even making offers yet so I don't think it'll be too late.
I would try to get GULC up using WUSTL/GW and continue on. Work from the bottom up.
edit: Lovely username