Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fliptrip

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby fliptrip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:19 pm

letsplayball wrote:when is the right time to start negotiating scholarships? I don't know if it would be better to just start as early as possible or to wait until later in the cycle... any thoughts?

I tend to think you should start negotiating once you have the highest leverage offer to present to the school you're trying to negotiate up. The classic example is using a UCLA full ride to negotiate with USC.

letsplayball

Postby letsplayball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:46 pm

fliptrip wrote:
letsplayball wrote:when is the right time to start negotiating scholarships? I don't know if it would be better to just start as early as possible or to wait until later in the cycle... any thoughts?

I tend to think you should start negotiating once you have the highest leverage offer to present to the school you're trying to negotiate up. The classic example is using a UCLA full ride to negotiate with USC.

what if you have a really good leverage to negotiate up but could potentially get better (because haven't heard back from everyone yet)... go head and see what happens or wait and see what other offers are?

fliptrip

Postby fliptrip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:48 pm

letsplayball wrote:
fliptrip wrote:

what if you have a really good leverage to negotiate up but could potentially get better (because haven't heard back from everyone yet)... go head and see what happens or wait and see what other offers are?

If you think you could get a higher leverage offer, then wait. You want to get 'em once and get 'em good.

letsplayball

Postby letsplayball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 pm

fliptrip wrote:
letsplayball wrote:
fliptrip wrote:

If you think you could get a higher leverage offer, then wait. You want to get 'em once and get 'em good.

but what about if by the time i get a better offer the money at the first place is gone?? or you don't think that will be an issue??

fliptrip

Postby fliptrip » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:54 pm

letsplayball wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
letsplayball wrote:
fliptrip wrote:

but what about if by the time i get a better offer the money at the first place is gone?? or you don't think that will be an issue??

And there you go pushing us into the inevitable grey area. Is there any way you could share more specifics without outing yourself?

letsplayball

Postby letsplayball » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:39 pm

fliptrip wrote:
letsplayball wrote:
fliptrip wrote:
letsplayball wrote:
fliptrip wrote:

And there you go pushing us into the inevitable grey area. Is there any way you could share more specifics without outing yourself?

Basically I want to try and increase my Duke scholly (75k) because I have better awards from similarly or higher ranked schools (120k). I don't know if I should just go at it now and see what happens, or wait it out and see what other schools have to offer and make my case more solid (I'm still waiting to hear back from several T-14's).

My dilemma is if I wait they might have less money to throw around, but if I try to negotiate too soon I might have not as strong a case as I would if I waited. Also, I really don't know the best timeline for scholly negotiations... best to start early as possible? Or is there a particular time that schools like to re-evaluate scholarship offers?

fliptrip

Postby fliptrip » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Hm, I'll read between the lines and assume the "similar or highly ranked schools" are either Michigan or UVA.

I know you're waiting for other money, but anything more than the $120k would probably come from schools lower than Duke. And if you have the numbers to get big money from CCN, I figure you would already be sitting on a Dillard, Darrow, or Moredecai. So, I think you should open the negotiations now. If it's too early for Duke, they will tell you.

If you have $120k from Michigan in hand, I think it could go any number of ways. They could match, they could increase slightly, to say $90 or even $105 and then make you choose. Duke's star is rising and Michigan's is falling. They might call your bluff.

If you have $120k from UVA, I think they will match or slightly exceed. UVA is preferred to Duke in most if not all circles, so Duke knows they will have to probably exceed their offer a bit to get you to come. I don't know if Duke will get close to full tuition without it being a Moredecai, but it's worth it to find out.

gamerish

Postby gamerish » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Wrote a kind of Why X/scholly negotiation letter today I was hoping someone could take a look at and tell me if I'm not being forward enough with my desire to get more money lol. If anyone's up for it, I can send it via PM

redfred22

Postby redfred22 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:06 pm

gamerish wrote:Wrote a kind of Why X/scholly negotiation letter today I was hoping someone could take a look at and tell me if I'm not being forward enough with my desire to get more money lol. If anyone's up for it, I can send it via PM

I have no experience with this, but I'd love to read your letter if you don't mind and discuss it/bounce some ideas off each other. I'm also planning to negotiate with a school that gave me a near full ride to try and bump it up a little higher to an actual full ride. Would love to discuss with some others what they've heard about sending such letters, etc.

kylemolodets

Postby kylemolodets » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Same issue as previous poster, have a good offer at a regional I want to go to but am waiting to hear back from others before trying to negotiate it up >.<

yenisey

Postby yenisey » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 am

kylemolodets wrote:Same issue as previous poster, have a good offer at a regional I want to go to but am waiting to hear back from others before trying to negotiate it up >.<

I got a UC Hastings scholarship and intend to use it as a leverage. But Hastings asks in the acceptance letter that they want me keep the scholarship details credential. Could I ignore this request?

jewkidontheblock

Postby jewkidontheblock » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:51 am

yenisey wrote:
kylemolodets wrote:Same issue as previous poster, have a good offer at a regional I want to go to but am waiting to hear back from others before trying to negotiate it up >.<

I got a UC Hastings scholarship and intend to use it as a leverage. But Hastings asks in the acceptance letter that they want me keep the scholarship details credential. Could I ignore this request?

Assuming you mean confidential, that's pretty crappy of them to ask. Only reason would seem to be preventing you from negotiating for other offers. I would personally ignore, but defer to others in this thread.

herecomesthesun

Postby herecomesthesun » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 am

Thoughts on getting UVA/Michigan to match an offer from Cornell?

Tls2016

Postby Tls2016 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:13 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:
yenisey wrote:

Assuming you mean confidential, that's pretty crappy of them to ask. Only reason would seem to be preventing you from negotiating for other offers. I would personally ignore, but defer to others in this thread.

Confidential request isn't binding on you unless the scholarship is contingent on you not sharing it. You should use it to negotiate without repercussions. I'm assuming they aren't asking applicants to sign confidentiality agreements.

Drmrndaphd

Postby Drmrndaphd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:42 pm

gamerish wrote:Wrote a kind of Why X/scholly negotiation letter today I was hoping someone could take a look at and tell me if I'm not being forward enough with my desire to get more money lol. If anyone's up for it, I can send it via PM

I can also help with this. I feel like we are the same applicant anyways haha

KiltedKicker

Postby KiltedKicker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm

herecomesthesun wrote:Thoughts on getting UVA/Michigan to match an offer from Cornell?

Possible, though likely not close to a full match

kittencastle

Postby kittencastle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:26 am

Can negotiating still work if you base it on cost rather than award amount? Schools in my home state are very reasonably priced. At sticker, they cost about the same as a private school with a 75% scholarship. The school state offered me a substantial scholarship that would make total tuition cost $6000. Can I ask the private school to match?

jobz

Postby jobz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:36 pm

Hello all,

I tried perusing through this thread for an answer first but couldn't find anything similar.

So here is my situation:

I was accepted to school school A: ranked nationally in the 60s but does well in its region. They offered me $35k

However is was accepted to 3 other schools (B, C, D) ranked in the top 20 who offered $20k.

I would prefer school A for the right price since it's much closer to home, so I really want to negotiates an increase my scholarship. I'm above 75th in both their LSAT and GPA.

Could I make a fair case with this? Should I first ask for an increase at the other schools and then approach school A? Is that kosher or viewed badly?

Thanks for your input and best of luck to all of you.

gazorpazorp

Postby gazorpazorp » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 am

Last edited by gazorpazorp on Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:33 pm

gazorpazorp wrote:I'm itching to start negotiating but wondering if I should wait. My current options are (all initial offers):

Mich (45k)
GULC (will hear about scholarship $ hopefully in March)
WUSTL (Full ride + Dean's Fellowship)
USC (150k)
GW (105k)

Still waiting on an admission decision from UVA -- they just asked me to interview over the phone next Fri so fingers crossed that that means I'm most likely in (it is a slight "reach").

Question #1) ATM I'm very tempted to bring the WUSTL offer to USC and GW right now, & try to get them to also offer full rides (COL is higher in DC and CA, etc etc). But should I wait until I also have the Georgetown offer on the table in order to have maximum leverage? I'm just worried they'll take too long and I'll be in a time crunch.

Question #2) Regarding my top 2 choices (Mich/GULC)... Say Georgetown gets back to me and offers around 70k. Should I immediately take that offer to Michigan & try to get Michigan to up their current 45k offer?

Or, alternatively, should I directly respond to Georgetown's initial offer by mentioning Michigan's 45k offer & WUSTL's full scholly -- and try to get them to up their offer right out of the gate? And hold off on bringing Georgetown's offer to Michigan until it is (hopefully) a bit higher than it was initially?

Pretty sure I'm way overthinking this.

Good luck at UVA! Rumor has it those interviews are screeners to see if you're really interested in the school. I'm a splitter with similar offers from places (slightly less as GW and Michigan) and was admitted the same day I interviewed after talking about specific professors and programs I was (truthfully) interested in. I haven't heard anything from UVA re scholarships yet because they require the FAFSA and Need Access, I believe.

I would wait until you hear back from GULC and UVA. A lot of schools aren't even making offers yet so I don't think it'll be too late.

I would try to get GULC up using WUSTL/GW and continue on. Work from the bottom up.

edit: Lovely username :P
Last edited by TheKisSquared on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maplesyrup

Postby Maplesyrup » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm

sorry if this has already been answered.

i was offered a full ride at school x. i verbally accepted the scholarship. do i have to go now? my gut tells me no, but would like to get insight. Thanks.

skimmilk

Postby skimmilk » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:50 pm

jobz wrote:Hello all,

I tried perusing through this thread for an answer first but couldn't find anything similar.

So here is my situation:

I was accepted to school school A: ranked nationally in the 60s but does well in its region. They offered me $35k

However is was accepted to 3 other schools (B, C, D) ranked in the top 20 who offered $20k.

I would prefer school A for the right price since it's much closer to home, so I really want to negotiates an increase my scholarship. I'm above 75th in both their LSAT and GPA.

Could I make a fair case with this? Should I first ask for an increase at the other schools and then approach school A? Is that kosher or viewed badly?

Thanks for your input and best of luck to all of you.

You will most likely not be able to leverage top 20 schools with a school ranked in the 60s. However, if you are above the 75ths for the school ranked in the 60s I would take your offers from the top 20 schools to them. You would arguably have better employment opportunities at these schools and on top of that they are only offering you 15K less than a school ranked well below them. Obviously address the school professionally, but I see no reason why a school with that rank wouldn't give you a full tuition scholarship based on your numbers alone. You may want to play the top 20 schools against each other if you can though, they may be willing to up their offers which you could then use against the school in the 60s (if they refuse to to up their offer based on your scores alone). Hope this all works out and congrats on your offers so far!

squidditch

Postby squidditch » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Question: do you think it would be appropriate to try to use full rides from late teen-early 20s schools to scholly negotiate with a t-14 school? I wasn't impressed with my scholarship offer from Cornell, but got a full ride to Emory, Minnesota and am expecting money from Vandy. Thanks for the input!

UDtoLawSchool

Postby UDtoLawSchool » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:49 pm

I am currently negotiating between two schools :
Brooklyn ($35,000/year)
Cardozo ($30,000/year)

Even though I received close offers from both schools, the sticker price at Brooklyn is almost $9,000 less per year. Is it likely that I will be able to get Cardozo to raise their offer on the basis that Brooklyn is $13,000 cheaper per year? Or will they just look at the scholarship amount and not consider the price of tuition?

michelekfla

Postby michelekfla » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Removed
Last edited by michelekfla on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”