Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Harry_Pluxen

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.

slippin_jimmy

Postby slippin_jimmy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:12 pm

Harry_Pluxen wrote:Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.

I have this bookmarked: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

slippin_jimmy

Postby slippin_jimmy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:13 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
Harry_Pluxen wrote:Is there a comprehensive guide on TLS to negotiating scholarships? I've only found brief ones on various blogs. I'd like to know if anyone can refer me to a "mega thread" on this subject.

ETA: I don't think all the images used to be broken.

But also interested if other folks have resources.

Harry_Pluxen

Postby Harry_Pluxen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:07 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:

Thank you.

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 pm

slippin_jimmy wrote:
slippin_jimmy wrote:

ETA: I don't think all the images used to be broken.

But also interested if other folks have resources.

That is the most comprehensive post I have seen on negotiations so far.
Thanks for sharing!

jlaw20161

Postby jlaw20161 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Quick question if anyone would be able to provide me some insight on this...

UICL offered me a full tuition scholarship. When calculating the value of that scholarship, should I assume that being an out-of-state applicant, I would receive in-state tuition for my second and third years?

lymenheimer

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:03 pm

jlaw20161 wrote:Quick question if anyone would be able to provide me some insight on this...

UICL offered me a full tuition scholarship. When calculating the value of that scholarship, should I assume that being an out-of-state applicant, I would receive in-state tuition for my second and third years?

It depends on the requirements of the school and the state. Some are easier to get in-state tuition and some almost require that you begin a residency transition when you matriculate/move in. If you are looking to negotiate the value of the scholarship though, I wouldn't only look at the total dollar value, but rather include the remaining cost of attendance in my consideration (basically COL after a full-tuition scholarship).
That is one of the factors that was pointed out to me last cycle during a negotiation when I tried to get a bump at one school: "we are only able to increase your scholarship by this amount, which maintains the affordability of our program in comparison to your other competitive offers," or something like that.

jlaw20161

Postby jlaw20161 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:12 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
jlaw20161 wrote:Quick question if anyone would be able to provide me some insight on this...

It depends on the requirements of the school and the state. Some are easier to get in-state tuition and some almost require that you begin a residency transition when you matriculate/move in. If you are looking to negotiate the value of the scholarship though, I wouldn't only look at the total dollar value, but rather include the remaining cost of attendance in my consideration (basically COL after a full-tuition scholarship).
That is one of the factors that was pointed out to me last cycle during a negotiation when I tried to get a bump at one school: "we are only able to increase your scholarship by this amount, which maintains the affordability of our program in comparison to your other competitive offers," or something like that.

Very good point thank you for the quick reply!

Bradsj

Postby Bradsj » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 am

Anyone know who I email at W&M to attempt negotiation?

lawandorder2019

Postby lawandorder2019 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Bradsj wrote:Anyone know who I email at W&M to attempt negotiation?

I emailed ffshea@wm.edu since that was the email address that sent me my admission. However they haven't been super receptive.

That being said, anyone who has some advice on scholarship negotiation or anyone who has been successful in the past, can you please PM me? I received an odd email from W&M and want some advice on how to proceed.

Bradsj

Postby Bradsj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:10 pm

lawandorder2019 wrote:
Bradsj wrote:Anyone know who I email at W&M to attempt negotiation?

I emailed ffshea@wm.edu since that was the email address that sent me my admission. However they haven't been super receptive.

That being said, anyone who has some advice on scholarship negotiation or anyone who has been successful in the past, can you please PM me? I received an odd email from W&M and want some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks! I ended up emailing Dean Shealy, too. She called to tell me of my acceptance but I guess I just felt weird emailing the dean directly for negotiation. She was incredibly nice! However, no luck with the negotiations there :(

Clytemnestra

Postby Clytemnestra » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Post deleted.
Last edited by Clytemnestra on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Postby Aeon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:31 pm

I think Michigan would be considerably more receptive to offers from peer schools. It's unlikely they would budge based on a scholarship offer from Minnesota. But if that's all you end up getting, it might be worth a try.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:44 am

Tried searching this thread but struck out....
Has anyone had success or heard of success in negotiating GULC using an offer from GW? Does the proximity help at all?
I'm not particularly interested in attending GW, but they opened with a ~50% scholarship and I'm hoping to make the best of it 8)

t14ohlehdoit

Postby t14ohlehdoit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:53 am

post removed.
Last edited by t14ohlehdoit on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jewkidontheblock

Postby jewkidontheblock » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:03 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:Tried searching this thread but struck out....
Has anyone had success or heard of success in negotiating GULC using an offer from GW? Does the proximity help at all?
I'm not particularly interested in attending GW, but they opened with a ~50% scholarship and I'm hoping to make the best of it 8)

I know it's been done, but it's obviously much easier to do it in reverse. Don't expect a full match. Also keep in mind that Georgetown hasn't made many, if any, offers yet.

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm

jewkidontheblock wrote:
TheKisSquared wrote:Tried searching this thread but struck out....

I know it's been done, but it's obviously much easier to do it in reverse. Don't expect a full match. Also keep in mind that Georgetown hasn't made many, if any, offers yet.

Oh yeah, I wasn't planning on starting this game until March.

edditb

Postby edditb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Does anybody know if during the negotiation process the schools generally ask for fall grades? And if say, for a >75 lsat and <25 gpa splitter, a fall grade submission that dropped gpa would be a big blow to that persons leverage?

president biden

Postby president biden » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14 am

edditb wrote:Does anybody know if during the negotiation process the schools generally ask for fall grades? And if say, for a >75 lsat and <25 gpa splitter, a fall grade submission that dropped gpa would be a big blow to that persons leverage?

If you were already <25 for gpa, they're probably not going to be concerned about a modest drop.

Nachoo2019

Postby Nachoo2019 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:41 pm

If I plan to negotiate with a school is it best to send a formal letter or email? Or should I call and see if they are open to reviewing my financial aid package? Also, I have a school that I know I would attend with their scholarship as long as the conditions were lowered significantly or dropped and I know that I will absolutely not attend with the current conditions. Would it be advisable to give them an ultimatum? For example, "I will withdraw other applications and enter my seat deposit to your school if this scholarship stipulations are dropped." or is that too blunt?

TheKisSquared

Postby TheKisSquared » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:37 pm

kwabedi wrote:If I plan to negotiate with a school is it best to send a formal letter or email? Or should I call and see if they are open to reviewing my financial aid package? Also, I have a school that I know I would attend with their scholarship as long as the conditions were lowered significantly or dropped and I know that I will absolutely not attend with the current conditions. Would it be advisable to give them an ultimatum? For example, "I will withdraw other applications and enter my seat deposit to your school if this scholarship stipulations are dropped." or is that too blunt?

As long as you actually intend to keep this promise I have heard this is an effective method. A well-edited and formalish email seems like the norm.

SplitterPeaSoup

Postby SplitterPeaSoup » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Hey all.

What do you do when you've received identical scholarship offers from peer schools and want to try to eek out as much as possible?

I've received $120k each from T20 peer schools. I'd rather go to School A. School A is ranked slightly higher, but tuition and cost of living in city A is more expensive. Should I:

1.first talk to School B, hoping that they are used to losing applicants to School A and that they'll try to make me an offer I can't refuse;or

2. first make the point to School A that I prefer them, but the cost of living difference between cities A and B is giving me pause?

Thanks!
Last edited by SplitterPeaSoup on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlaw20161

Postby jlaw20161 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:35 pm

SplitterPeaSoup wrote:Hey all.

What do you do when you've received identical scholarship offers from peer schools and want to try to eek out as much as possible?

I've received $120k each from T20 peer schools. I'd rather go to School A. School A is ranked slightly higher, but tuition and cost of living in city A is more expensive. Should I:

1.first talk to School B, hoping that they are used to losing applications to School A and that they'll try to make me an offer I can't refuse;or

2. first make the point to School A that I prefer them, but the cost of living difference between cities A and B is giving me pause?

Thanks!

Yes, I would see if B will increase after you talk with them. If not, use the COL argument with A.

letsplayball

Postby letsplayball » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 pm

when is the right time to start negotiating scholarships? I don't know if it would be better to just start as early as possible or to wait until later in the cycle... any thoughts?

UDtoLawSchool

Postby UDtoLawSchool » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:10 pm

letsplayball wrote:when is the right time to start negotiating scholarships? I don't know if it would be better to just start as early as possible or to wait until later in the cycle... any thoughts?

I was already able to negotiate one increase but two of my other schools said they aren't reconsidering until March

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”