Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NotASpecialSnowflake

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Got an initial increase from a school. Asked for a deadline extension (deadline is 4/30) so I could negotiate more after that, but they said no. I really need more money from the school, they are my top choice. Should I try to negotiate for a little bit more in these next few days before the deadline? Or should I try to ask for some after I SIR on the deadline and more money becomes available? Do I lose ALL leverage if I SIR?

Thanks!

I'm not 100% experienced in these things, but it sounds like its a question of negotiating now with leverage vs negotiating when more $$ may be available. If that's the case, I'd negotiate now, while you have leverage. They can always tell you to wait until more $$ becomes available.

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:17 pm

dasani13 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:So I wrote to a school that offered me $10,000 a year to try to negotiate scholarship. I received an email back saying "we are able to increase your scholarship award by $5,000". Do you think that means just a $5000 increase or $5000 per year? It was a short email and the dean of adm said she wrote it in a hurry. It makes more logical sense for the increase to be per year as $35,000 doesn't evenly split between 3 years and a $5000 flat increase seems kind of odd, but what you do all think? Would it be weird for me to write back and ask? No matter what the answer is, I'm going to try to negotiate for more, so does it even matter?

Thanks!!!

Was the initial award offered as a per year amount or a total for 3 yrs?

Per year

adman921

Postby adman921 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:44 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:So I've pretty much decided on a school, and they've already increased my scholarship once but I asked a second time a couple of days ago and they said no. Is there any benefit in me waiting another week until the deadline or should I just go ahead and deposit? If they said no just now, I highly doubt they'd say anything different in just a week with no new leverage.

Ask for an extension, and then make another request for an increase right after the deposit date. They'll have a much better idea of how much money they have to work with after the deadline, so you'll have a better shot then. Requesting an extension signals that you're still considering other offers, which at least leaves the door open for an increase.

Worst they can do is say no.

What's the approach for asking when you have no leverage and have already deposited? any thoughts?

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:23 pm

adman921 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:So I've pretty much decided on a school, and they've already increased my scholarship once but I asked a second time a couple of days ago and they said no. Is there any benefit in me waiting another week until the deadline or should I just go ahead and deposit? If they said no just now, I highly doubt they'd say anything different in just a week with no new leverage.

Ask for an extension, and then make another request for an increase right after the deposit date. They'll have a much better idea of how much money they have to work with after the deadline, so you'll have a better shot then. Requesting an extension signals that you're still considering other offers, which at least leaves the door open for an increase.

What's the approach for asking when you have no leverage and have already deposited? any thoughts?

+1

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:53 am

What's the etiquette on responding after you've already withdrawn and you get more $$? Do you re-withdraw if you still don't want to go?

bingo90

Postby bingo90 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:20 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
adman921 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

+1

Interested in this as well.

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:22 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:What's the etiquette on responding after you've already withdrawn and you get more $$? Do you re-withdraw if you still don't want to go?

I'd just send a short email thanking them for more $, but still declining their offer.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Got a bump today. Had already deposited and committed. Basically just said if as students withdrawal, if money becomes available, please consider me for a additional aid.

Skool

Postby Skool » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
adman921 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:

+1
You always have the option of just saying fuck it. I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing rather than go to law school, if you can't make your school more affordable.

Obviously you don't say it that way, but basically you talk about being concerned about job outcomes compared with debt. Maybe you've given it some thought and retaking is a better idea than going this year.

The trick for this kind of thing is to make them believe you're really willing to take your ball and go home. It works even better if you really are willing to. If they really want you (or at least some of your money), maybe they'll say, "baby, baby please don't go."

NotASpecialSnowflake

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Thanks guys! Two very different but effective approaches there.

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:32 am

Does anyone have experience with and/or advice regarding using an acceptance off a wait list to get more money from a school which you are basically committed to?

adman921

Postby adman921 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:53 am

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:Thanks guys! Two very different but effective approaches there.

ya I went with the first approach...I just sent them a nice email saying I'm very excited about attending (have already deposited, etc.) but my financial concerns remain the same as I initially expressed. Asked if, as the deposit deadline has passed, there is any more information available to them about money freeing up. And that anything they could do to help me would be great.

Went from 50k to 75k off!

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:35 pm

adman921 wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:Thanks guys! Two very different but effective approaches there.

ya I went with the first approach...I just sent them a nice email saying I'm very excited about attending (have already deposited, etc.) but my financial concerns remain the same as I initially expressed. Asked if, as the deposit deadline has passed, there is any more information available to them about money freeing up. And that anything they could do to help me would be great.

Congrats! I sent a similar email last week but gotten a response yet.

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Tue May 05, 2015 2:37 pm

I have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but have you guys been using just one offer as leverage? Or are you mentioning 2 or 3 offers? I think there's merits to each strategy, but I'm a little torn here. Especially since I have an offer from one clear peer school, and another school that's a little bit lower ranked.

ladybug_231

Postby ladybug_231 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
adman921 wrote:

Wow, hadn't thought about trying this.

I received a large scholarship after a February LSAT increase and a request back in March - any downside to asking for additional money now that the initial deposit deadline has passed?

KGLaw18

Postby KGLaw18 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:07 pm

adman921 wrote:

Congrats!! Had you already gotten a bump or was this your first attempt?

I've deposited at two schools and one (A) has already matched the other (B...which is ranked higher) but I feel as though they could have gone higher...I'm wondering how to gently say well A, you matched B, but if you really want me to attend I'm going to need you to beat them! I want to make sure to ask A for more without simply sounding greedy...B currently has the edge but A's location is where I want to practice, so a good bump would likely be enough to make me choose them for networking and future employment prospects. I am also debating if it is better to wait until May 15th when they can run the report to see that I really am deposited at both schools? Any thoughts/tips are welcome!

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:56 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:I have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but have you guys been using just one offer as leverage? Or are you mentioning 2 or 3 offers? I think there's merits to each strategy, but I'm a little torn here. Especially since I have an offer from one clear peer school, and another school that's a little bit lower ranked.

I've mentioned multiple when I had multiple that I thought they would consider (even if one probably had more leverage than the others), but on my 2nd/3rd attempt at negotiating with schools I mostly just used one. PM me if you want more details.

ladybug_231 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
adman921 wrote:

Wow, hadn't thought about trying this.

I received a large scholarship after a February LSAT increase and a request back in March - any downside to asking for additional money now that the initial deposit deadline has passed?

No downside whatsoever. Ask until they say no.

gyra15

Postby gyra15 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:42 am

So I just received a scholarship offer that was much more than I expected from a T10. I was a late applicant and found out about my acceptance to this school after I had already deposited at a T25. The difference between my two scholarships is 18K but the T25 has a much cheaper cost of living so the overall difference ends up being about 42K. According to LSN, I outperformed my numbers in terms of my T10 scholarship- how can I go about asking for more money given they've already offered more than expected?

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed May 13, 2015 11:52 am

gyra15 wrote:So I just received a scholarship offer that was much more than I expected from a T10. I was a late applicant and found out about my acceptance to this school after I had already deposited at a T25. The difference between my two scholarships is 18K but the T25 has a much cheaper cost of living so the overall difference ends up being about 42K. According to LSN, I outperformed my numbers in terms of my T10 scholarship- how can I go about asking for more money given they've already offered more than expected?

You don't have a lot of leverage, but you can simply say something like "Thanks so much for your generous offer, I'm very interested in your school but the cost is still prohibitive at this point, and I have the considerably cheaper option of attending T25 school X on the table. Anything you can do to raise the amount of my scholarship would make it easier for me to decide in favor of attending your school, as I would be thrilled to do o. XOXO Gyros51"

l18

Postby l18 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:29 pm

I am thinking of mentioning in my email that I have received updated offers from other schools since I deposited and that I remain on several waitlists but I would like to fully commit to this particular school with a higher offer. Would mentioning these come off as too strong?

MurdockLLP

Postby MurdockLLP » Thu May 14, 2015 9:40 am

l18 wrote:I am thinking of mentioning in my email that I have received updated offers from other schools since I deposited and that I remain on several waitlists but I would like to fully commit to this particular school with a higher offer. Would mentioning these come off as too strong?

At this point in the cycle, I do not think there is something as too strong. I would absolutely send your 1st choice the new offers, explain that this school is one of your top choices, but that the finances play a major role in your decision-making. If this school could reconsider their current offer, you would strongly consider fully committing to them for the class of 2018 (or 2019 if part time).

When I negotiate, I never deal in absolute terms; it gives you that extra leverage when new things arise. I do however, use strongly worded language (like strongly consider), and it has worked out well for me.

kray

Postby kray » Thu May 14, 2015 10:18 am

adman921 wrote:

Congrats! And +1 to this approach -- I sent a nice letter to the school I'm going to after I was accepted with no leverage/etc. just nicely explaining why I could use a scholarship, and ended up getting more than I asked for.

HavingFun

Postby HavingFun » Wed May 20, 2015 9:55 am

has anyone been successful with asking for more money after the second seat deposit? I know there is almost no leverage to this, but i figured simply asking nicely once again for an increase could maybe yield results? something like "thanks for your initial increase and i am very grateful, if there is any remaining scholarship money i ask that you please consider me once again after the second seat deposit" or something like that. Anyone been successful doing this?

Edit: I have already negotiated in the past, and was successful in getting a bump. Just trying to see if asking again after the second seat deposit has garnered any results to squeeze out any more remaining money. Thanks

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Wed May 20, 2015 1:03 pm

HavingFun wrote:has anyone been successful with asking for more money after the second seat deposit? I know there is almost no leverage to this, but i figured simply asking nicely once again for an increase could maybe yield results? something like "thanks for your initial increase and i am very grateful, if there is any remaining scholarship money i ask that you please consider me once again after the second seat deposit" or something like that. Anyone been successful doing this?

Edit: I have already negotiated in the past, and was successful in getting a bump. Just trying to see if asking again after the second seat deposit has garnered any results to squeeze out any more remaining money. Thanks

If you look a few comments up, a couple people have been successful. I am in your same situation and sent the email but they never responded and it's been about 3 weeks. Is it ok to write a follow up email?

dopedoer

Postby dopedoer » Fri May 29, 2015 2:28 pm

So, I've read through most of latter parts of this thread and have now twice attempted to ask for an increase to my modest scholarship. Twice, I've received the following stock reply:

Dear Dopedoer,

We have reviewed your inquiry regarding the possibility of increasing your scholarship at Dopesick Law. Unfortunately, we regret that we are not able to increase your scholarship at this time. Despite this, we very much hope that you will choose to enroll at Dopesick Law.

If you have any questions about the Law School, please call the Admissions Office at 800-555-5555 or email us at law.admit@dopesick.edu.

Sincerely,
The Admissions and Financial Aid Team

After taking the time to craft a thoughtful request and sincerely laying out my various options and priorities, getting this formulaic blow-off feels a bit insulting. Any insight on an appropriate response is appreciated.

Also, the second deposit deadline is on Monday, June 1. Is there any hope trying again after then or will I have lost all leverage at that point?
Last edited by dopedoer on Fri May 29, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”