Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bklynlady
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby bklynlady » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:06 am

You could have tried to ask for a deadline extension. They denied my request, but I know they did grant it to some...

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10972
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:12 am

XYL42 wrote:Today is the deadline for me to accept scholarship at NYU Law School. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Penn as regard to $$ information. I was planning to send the deposit and make decisions later. However, I called NYU admission office today, and they said for me to enroll, I have to withdraw from schools to which I was admitted. Although I am still waiting the $$ information, I was already admitted to Penn and, thus,technically had to withdraw. But I am just wondering if that's really the case. Is it still okay for me to send my deposit and change my mind later. Any input is appreciated!!


They absolutely have the right to pull the scholarship offer if you don't withdraw from Penn, so I would be careful here. My understanding is that pulling an offer over something like this is very rare, but you don't want to be the test case.

As the poster above said, you should request an extension. Let them know you are waiting on a competing offer and would like to make an informed decision, and don't have all the necessary information yet.

I would also email Penn and let them know the situation you're in, and that you will probably have to withdraw if you don't hear from them ASAP.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

XYL42 wrote:Today is the deadline for me to accept scholarship at NYU Law School. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Penn as regard to $$ information. I was planning to send the deposit and make decisions later. However, I called NYU admission office today, and they said for me to enroll, I have to withdraw from schools to which I was admitted. Although I am still waiting the $$ information, I was already admitted to Penn and, thus,technically had to withdraw. But I am just wondering if that's really the case. Is it still okay for me to send my deposit and change my mind later. Any input is appreciated!!


Did you already withdraw...? Penn won't send you a $$ offer if you already withdrew. Ask NYU for an extension.

XYL42
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:15 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby XYL42 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:21 am

hearsay77 wrote:
XYL42 wrote:Today is the deadline for me to accept scholarship at NYU Law School. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Penn as regard to $$ information. I was planning to send the deposit and make decisions later. However, I called NYU admission office today, and they said for me to enroll, I have to withdraw from schools to which I was admitted. Although I am still waiting the $$ information, I was already admitted to Penn and, thus,technically had to withdraw. But I am just wondering if that's really the case. Is it still okay for me to send my deposit and change my mind later. Any input is appreciated!!


Did you already withdraw...? Penn won't send you a $$ offer if you already withdrew. Ask NYU for an extension.


No, I haven't withdrawn. I will try to ask for an extension. But what if they denied my request??

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10972
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:23 am

XYL42 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
XYL42 wrote:Today is the deadline for me to accept scholarship at NYU Law School. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Penn as regard to $$ information. I was planning to send the deposit and make decisions later. However, I called NYU admission office today, and they said for me to enroll, I have to withdraw from schools to which I was admitted. Although I am still waiting the $$ information, I was already admitted to Penn and, thus,technically had to withdraw. But I am just wondering if that's really the case. Is it still okay for me to send my deposit and change my mind later. Any input is appreciated!!


Did you already withdraw...? Penn won't send you a $$ offer if you already withdrew. Ask NYU for an extension.


No, I haven't withdrawn. I will try to ask for an extension. But what if they denied my request??


Then you'll have to make a decision. Are you willing to risk NYU's offer for what Penn might put on the table? Bird in the hand, two in the bush, etc.

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:55 pm

This might be super obvious, but I wish I had thought of this when negotiating. If you feel comfortable asking for a set amount of $ from a school, make sure that number is divisible by three (or however many years the scholarship will be disbursed). It shows you understand what's going on and it makes it more likely a school can match the number.

For example if you ask for 130k, a school isn't going to be able to evenly spread that over three years. They'll have to come close. And by close I mean they'll give you 129k not 132k

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:41 am

So I've pretty much decided on a school, and they've already increased my scholarship once but I asked a second time a couple of days ago and they said no. Is there any benefit in me waiting another week until the deadline or should I just go ahead and deposit? If they said no just now, I highly doubt they'd say anything different in just a week with no new leverage.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10972
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:59 am

hearsay77 wrote:So I've pretty much decided on a school, and they've already increased my scholarship once but I asked a second time a couple of days ago and they said no. Is there any benefit in me waiting another week until the deadline or should I just go ahead and deposit? If they said no just now, I highly doubt they'd say anything different in just a week with no new leverage.


Ask for an extension, and then make another request for an increase right after the deposit date. They'll have a much better idea of how much money they have to work with after the deadline, so you'll have a better shot then. Requesting an extension signals that you're still considering other offers, which at least leaves the door open for an increase.

Worst they can do is say no.

User avatar
bretby
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby bretby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I asked for an extension from a T14, then withdrew, citing in my email financial concerns. They replied almost immediately ready to negotiate whereas they had previously been completely closed to the idea. Just an idea for those still out there negotiating.

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 pm

bretby wrote:I asked for an extension from a T14, then withdrew, citing in my email financial concerns. They replied almost immediately ready to negotiate whereas they had previously been completely closed to the idea. Just an idea for those still out there negotiating.


Sounds like it paid off for you, but that's a bold strategy.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10972
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
bretby wrote:I asked for an extension from a T14, then withdrew, citing in my email financial concerns. They replied almost immediately ready to negotiate whereas they had previously been completely closed to the idea. Just an idea for those still out there negotiating.


Sounds like it paid off for you, but that's a bold strategy.


I had a school refuse to budge and then up their offer by 30k after I withdrew. I wouldn't have had the balls to withdraw as a tactical move though.

User avatar
aibohphobia
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby aibohphobia » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating two identical offers against each other? I've got identical offers from duke and uva. Duke just raised their offer to match virginia. I was going to reach out to virginia and see if they would increase my offer but I'm not sure how hardball to make it especially since I've already deposited at virginia and I've requested an extended deadline from duke (I haven't been granted it yet but since I just received their aid letter today I'm optimistic about my chances).

Also in my letter to virginia should I note an extended deposit deadline at duke if i receive it, just to make sure they know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them (the normal deadline is 4/24)

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 10972
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

aibohphobia wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating two identical offers against each other? I've got identical offers from duke and uva. Duke just raised their offer to match virginia. I was going to reach out to virginia and see if they would increase my offer but I'm not sure how hardball to make it especially since I've already deposited at virginia and I've requested an extended deadline from duke (I haven't been granted it yet but since I just received their aid letter today I'm optimistic about my chances).

Also in my letter to virginia should I note an extended deposit deadline at duke if i receive it, just to make sure they know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them (the normal deadline is 4/24)


Is the cost of living significantly different, does one school do something better than the other school, and is either school closer to your target market?

supersplittysplitter
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby supersplittysplitter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:23 pm

aibohphobia wrote:
Also in my letter to virginia should I note an extended deposit deadline at duke if i receive it, just to make sure they know I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them (the normal deadline is 4/24)



If you send the negotiation email before 4/24, what difference does it make?

User avatar
aibohphobia
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby aibohphobia » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:24 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Is the cost of living significantly different, does one school do something better than the other school, and is either school closer to your target market?


They are fairly even on all counts for me. I'm targeting DC so UVA has a slight edge there, but I think either school would help me get where I want to just fine. I was hoping one of them might give me a straightforward financial reason to choose since their COA are fairly even all factors considered.

supersplittysplitter wrote:
If you send the negotiation email before 4/24, what difference does it make?


I didn't know whether Virginia would consider it if they could just wait a day and either the offer would expire and I would come to virginia or I would have to withdraw from virginia to deposit at duke and preserve my offer. I'm apparently a little paranoid

User avatar
lokikoala
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby lokikoala » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:40 pm

Do you think it's harmful/helpful/neither to mention that you've already DEPOSITED at a school but would really like to attend the one you're negotiating with when submitting your appeal? It seems like it might be harmful because they think you're a lost cause, but helpful in that they know you must really want to go to their school since you're still putting up a fight despite having deposited elsewhere.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

SoCal Japorean
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby SoCal Japorean » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:59 pm

When you email the person, what do you put on the subject line?

User avatar
tuxedocat
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby tuxedocat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:23 am

SoCal Japorean wrote:When you email the person, what do you put on the subject line?


I would not recommend "GINME DAT GREEN BITCHES." Please learn from my mistakes :oops:

User avatar
prodigal.daughter
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby prodigal.daughter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:05 am

tuxedocat wrote:I would not recommend "GINME DAT GREEN BITCHES." Please learn from my mistakes :oops:


:lol:

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:24 am

SoCal Japorean wrote:When you email the person, what do you put on the subject line?



I put Financial Aid Reconsideration. I didn't want to use the term negotiation, but the subject still gets the point across.

It really doesn't matter as long as it is something close to that. They'll know.

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:13 pm

So I wrote to a school that offered me $10,000 a year to try to negotiate scholarship. I received an email back saying "we are able to increase your scholarship award by $5,000". Do you think that means just a $5000 increase or $5000 per year? It was a short email and the dean of adm said she wrote it in a hurry. It makes more logical sense for the increase to be per year as $35,000 doesn't evenly split between 3 years and a $5000 flat increase seems kind of odd, but what you do all think? Would it be weird for me to write back and ask? No matter what the answer is, I'm going to try to negotiate for more, so does it even matter?

Thanks!!!

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:So I wrote to a school that offered me $10,000 a year to try to negotiate scholarship. I received an email back saying "we are able to increase your scholarship award by $5,000". Do you think that means just a $5000 increase or $5000 per year? It was a short email and the dean of adm said she wrote it in a hurry. It makes more logical sense for the increase to be per year as $35,000 doesn't evenly split between 3 years and a $5000 flat increase seems kind of odd, but what you do all think? Would it be weird for me to write back and ask? No matter what the answer is, I'm going to try to negotiate for more, so does it even matter?

Thanks!!!


It sounds like $5k increase per year although I would ask for clarification.

Good luck!

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Got an initial increase from a school. Asked for a deadline extension (deadline is 4/30) so I could negotiate more after that, but they said no. I really need more money from the school, they are my top choice. Should I try to negotiate for a little bit more in these next few days before the deadline? Or should I try to ask for some after I SIR on the deadline and more money becomes available? Do I lose ALL leverage if I SIR?

Thanks!

User avatar
dasani13
Posts: 1055
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby dasani13 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:So I wrote to a school that offered me $10,000 a year to try to negotiate scholarship. I received an email back saying "we are able to increase your scholarship award by $5,000". Do you think that means just a $5000 increase or $5000 per year? It was a short email and the dean of adm said she wrote it in a hurry. It makes more logical sense for the increase to be per year as $35,000 doesn't evenly split between 3 years and a $5000 flat increase seems kind of odd, but what you do all think? Would it be weird for me to write back and ask? No matter what the answer is, I'm going to try to negotiate for more, so does it even matter?

Thanks!!!


Was the initial award offered as a per year amount or a total for 3 yrs?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”