Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
koolimy

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby koolimy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Hello, I have just been admitted to Vanderbilt University with a 95K scholarship package and UT Austin with a 45K scholarship package. I was wondering if I could leverage my Vanderbilt offer to increase the offer at UT, but I am a little puzzled in how I might word my question, because it seems that the COA will actually be lower at UT (I am admitted as an in-state student). Do you guys have any recommendations on how I should approach UT with a negotiating offer? Thanks a lot.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:38 pm

koolimy wrote:Hello, I have just been admitted to Vanderbilt University with a 95K scholarship package and UT Austin with a 45K scholarship package. I was wondering if I could leverage my Vanderbilt offer to increase the offer at UT, but I am a little puzzled in how I might word my question, because it seems that the COA will actually be lower at UT (I am admitted as an in-state student). Do you guys have any recommendations on how I should approach UT with a negotiating offer? Thanks a lot.

You can say something like "I've received a competitive scholarship offer from Vanderbilt (95K) and am not in a position to reach a final decision about where to attend quite yet, but if you increase my offer to XXX, I'd be happy to pay my seat deposit at UT".

koolimy

Postby koolimy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Hand wrote:You can say something like "I've received a competitive scholarship offer from Vanderbilt (95K) and am not in a position to reach a final decision about where to attend quite yet, but if you increase my offer to XXX, I'd be happy to pay my seat deposit at UT".

Thanks a lot! I will definitely try that. I have a few other questions. The first is, I am thinking of getting married in the near future, and I was wondering if it would seem too sappy or emotional to bring this type of topic up in the negotiating process? Or should I just give them any relevant information?

And lastly, I just received my admissions and scholarship offer at UT about 2 days ago, but the deposit deadline for Vanderbilt is on May 1st. When do you think would be a good time to send the email to UT?

Many thanks for your reply, and I would appreciate any further information.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:51 pm

koolimy wrote:
Hand wrote:You can say something like "I've received a competitive scholarship offer from Vanderbilt (95K) and am not in a position to reach a final decision about where to attend quite yet, but if you increase my offer to XXX, I'd be happy to pay my seat deposit at UT".

Thanks a lot! I will definitely try that. I have a few other questions. The first is, I am thinking of getting married in the near future, and I was wondering if it would seem too sappy or emotional to bring this type of topic up in the negotiating process? Or should I just give them any relevant information?

And lastly, I just received my admissions and scholarship offer at UT about 2 days ago, but the deposit deadline for Vanderbilt is on May 1st. When do you think would be a good time to send the email to UT?

I would not mention getting married. And you can email UT right now, I don't see why you'd wait unless you're waiting for some other offers.

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

koolimy wrote:

I mean, if you think it's somehow relevant that you're getting married, you can mention it, but I wouldn't throw it in there just because you are excited about it (viz., I mentioned my spouse's student debt in my emails, to explain why I needed a bigger discount, but wouldn't have brought up the fact that I'm married otherwise).

And deadlines are approaching anywhere; I wouldn't hesitate to reach out quickly at this point. It'll take them a few days to get back to you, and maybe you need to go through another round after that, so I'd say go for it as soon as you've written up a nice email.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Hand wrote:
koolimy wrote:Hello, I have just been admitted to Vanderbilt University with a 95K scholarship package and UT Austin with a 45K scholarship package. I was wondering if I could leverage my Vanderbilt offer to increase the offer at UT, but I am a little puzzled in how I might word my question, because it seems that the COA will actually be lower at UT (I am admitted as an in-state student). Do you guys have any recommendations on how I should approach UT with a negotiating offer? Thanks a lot.

You can say something like "I've received a competitive scholarship offer from Vanderbilt (95K) and am not in a position to reach a final decision about where to attend quite yet, but if you increase my offer to XXX, I'd be happy to pay my seat deposit at UT".

I might be in the minority here, but I would avoid promising to commit to any school for anything less than an unreasonable amount. (Like they offered 60k, and you offer to commit for 120k)

Be the weasel, your new spirit animal. "I would really prefer to attend your school, but at the current cost I don't think I can justify it given my other options. If there is any additional financial aid available, it would certainly make my decision easier. Please let me know if there's anything you can do.

Sincerely,

Weasel who commits to nothing and asks again 2 weeks later

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:54 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Hand wrote:

I might be in the minority here, but I would avoid promising to commit to any school for anything less than an unreasonable amount. (Like they offered 60k, and you offer to commit for 120k)

Be the weasel, your new spirit animal. "I would really prefer to attend your school, but at the current cost I don't think I can justify it given my other options. If there is any additional financial aid available, it would certainly make my decision easier. Please let me know if there's anything you can do.

Sincerely,

Oh I'm very much in agreement here; definitely ask for considerably more than what it would take for you to actually commit

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:55 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Note to everyone here:

Don't quit asking for money until they've told you no at least twice. This game isn't over until you've put down a second deposit or you aren't paying tuition. Keep asking, and don't feel bad about it.

Uh-oh, I think I screwed up then. What happens if your school says the following?

If you elect to pay our tuition deposit you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted.

Is it game over at first deposit? I could only use my WLs?

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:55 pm

I would take my UT offer to Vandy first, and point out the lower total cost. UT is your better offer right now, and they know it. They'll point it out as soon as you try and leverage the Vandy offer. See if Vandy will pony up some more cash so you can take it back to UT.

koolimy

Postby koolimy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Thanks to both of you guys, the reason why I thought about bringing up marriage is the additional financial burden (COL goes up), but after your recommendations it seems like it may not be a good strategy to bring it up. I appreciate your responses!

koolimy

Postby koolimy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:58 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I would take my UT offer to Vandy first, and point out the lower total cost. UT is your better offer right now, and they know it. They'll point it out as soon as you try and leverage the Vandy offer. See if Vandy will pony up some more cash so you can take it back to UT.

I have heard Vandy does not negotiate, but I will try this out right now. Will get back to you guys if I get any response.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:59 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Note to everyone here:

Don't quit asking for money until they've told you no at least twice. This game isn't over until you've put down a second deposit or you aren't paying tuition. Keep asking, and don't feel bad about it.

Uh-oh, I think I screwed up then. What happens if your school says the following?

If you elect to pay our tuition deposit you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted.

Is it game over at first deposit? I could only use my WLs?

It sounds like it. You might want to ask Spivey for a ruling on this one, but that sounds like some pretty strong language.

You already told them you would put down a deposit right? And that language is for the first deposit rather than the second deposit?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:18 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:You already told them you would put down a deposit right? And that language is for the first deposit rather than the second deposit?

1. Yes
2. Yes
:| I definitely screwed up. lol

I hope everyone learns from my mistake haha.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:21 pm

I need to write a guide so people don't miss shit like this. Sorry man.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:22 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:You already told them you would put down a deposit right? And that language is for the first deposit rather than the second deposit?

1. Yes
2. Yes
:| I definitely screwed up. lol

I hope everyone learns from my mistake haha.

I don't know the background behind this, but you mentioning to them in an email that you would put down a deposit shouldn't be binding if you've changed your mind/aren't sure. Did they say this because they gave you a bump?

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:26 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I might be in the minority here, but I would avoid promising to commit to any school for anything less than an unreasonable amount. (Like they offered 60k, and you offer to commit for 120k)

Sincerely,

I haven't used the "I will definitely commit for XX amount" card yet, but was thinking about using it with one school because I've already negotiated with them and gotten a bump, and thought it might be that extra push to make them give me another small bump. If not this, what would you say when trying to negotiate with a school for a second time? I don't have any significant new leverage and want a little more money, I'm not sure how else to be convincing enough. I'm afraid if I say the same thing I said last time they won't change anything.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:28 pm

hearsay77 wrote:I don't know the background behind this, but you mentioning to them in an email that you would put down a deposit shouldn't be binding if you've changed your mind/aren't sure. Did they say this because they gave you a bump?

No, what I did was I figured the upper limit of what they would give me based on my #s, then I asked them for it on my offer that I would deposit. They gave me the amount.

I hope everyone learns from my mistake. I probably could have asked for more. :oops:

I really can't complain though.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:29 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:I might be in the minority here, but I would avoid promising to commit to any school for anything less than an unreasonable amount. (Like they offered 60k, and you offer to commit for 120k)

Sincerely,

I haven't used the "I will definitely commit for XX amount" card yet, but was thinking about using it with one school because I've already negotiated with them and gotten a bump, and thought it might be that extra push to make them give me another small bump. If not this, what would you say when trying to negotiate with a school for a second time? I don't have any significant new leverage and want a little more money, I'm not sure how else to be convincing enough. I'm afraid if I say the same thing I said last time they won't change anything.

PM me the details and I'll let you know how I would approach it.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:30 pm

LawsRUs wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:I don't know the background behind this, but you mentioning to them in an email that you would put down a deposit shouldn't be binding if you've changed your mind/aren't sure. Did they say this because they gave you a bump?

No, what I did was I figured the upper limit of what they would give me based on my #s, then I asked them for it on my offer that I would deposit. They gave me the amount.

I hope everyone learns from my mistake. I probably could have asked for more. :oops:

I really can't complain though.

Sorry I ruined your happy day by making you greedy. It sounds like you're still in pretty good shape though.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:30 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I need to write a guide so people don't miss shit like this. Sorry man.

Maybe after your finals?
---
lol yeah greed is a strange thing. .

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:11 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:

Sincerely,

PM me the details and I'll let you know how I would approach it.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm about to negotiate with my top choice for the 2nd time but I'm not sure which offers I should pick to use as leverage

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:10 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:
I'm in a similar situation. I'm about to negotiate with my top choice for the 2nd time but I'm not sure which offers I should pick to use as leverage

Use the offers that you would most plausibly bail on your top choice for. Without knowing more about your situation, it's hard to say what would be most convincing.

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:55 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

Use the offers that you would most plausibly bail on your top choice for. Without knowing more about your situation, it's hard to say what would be most convincing.

In terms of strategy do you think I should ask for a specific number, or just state my other offers?

By asking for a specific number I feel like I risk accidentally low-balling myself...but if I just throw my other offers out there that's somewhat vague, and I might still get low-balled...

I've been grappling with this problem throughout the cycle, still not sure what the best approach is

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:52 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

In terms of strategy do you think I should ask for a specific number, or just state my other offers?

By asking for a specific number I feel like I risk accidentally low-balling myself...but if I just throw my other offers out there that's somewhat vague, and I might still get low-balled...

I've been grappling with this problem throughout the cycle, still not sure what the best approach is

Be the weasel. Don't ask for a specific number unless it's waaaaay higher than you think is realistic. I prefer "Anything you could do to make attending your school more affordable would be appreciated. While I would really love to attend, I have to make a financially responsible decision moving forward. Thanks for all the work you have done on my behalf. Sincerely, impossible to nail down weasel."

XYL42

Postby XYL42 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 am

Today is the deadline for me to accept scholarship at NYU Law School. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Penn as regard to $$ information. I was planning to send the deposit and make decisions later. However, I called NYU admission office today, and they said for me to enroll, I have to withdraw from schools to which I was admitted. Although I am still waiting the $$ information, I was already admitted to Penn and, thus,technically had to withdraw. But I am just wondering if that's really the case. Is it still okay for me to send my deposit and change my mind later. Any input is appreciated!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”