Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MarkinKansasCity

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
Effingham wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:I received an increase to one of my scholarships, but it's contingent on my withdrawing from all other law schools where I've been accepted. I figure I lose all leverage by doing that, and I'm not quite satisfied with that offer as a final scholarship amount. Am I killing any future reconsiderations from that law school by declining to accept this offer with the current provisions attached? Will they take it as a sign that I'm not seriously considering the school?

I knew of some people who received similar offers and simply lied...I know of other people who had similar offers and did withdraw.

No one I know of on this site has reported their offer actually being withdrawn, and it would make for a pretty good ATL article if a school actually did it. I would be pretty surprised if any administrator at a decent school actually wanted to open themselves up to that. Take these "threats" with a grain of salt, they shouldn't be lowering themselves to that any way.

I'm not going to lie to them.

Good call. That seems like a bad idea generally. Be ruthless, but don't be dishonest on anything concrete. It's one thing to say you would really love to attend; something else entirely to promise explicitly to take concrete action you have no intention of taking.

Effingham

Postby Effingham » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:04 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:
Effingham wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:I received an increase to one of my scholarships, but it's contingent on my withdrawing from all other law schools where I've been accepted. I figure I lose all leverage by doing that, and I'm not quite satisfied with that offer as a final scholarship amount. Am I killing any future reconsiderations from that law school by declining to accept this offer with the current provisions attached? Will they take it as a sign that I'm not seriously considering the school?

I knew of some people who received similar offers and simply lied...I know of other people who had similar offers and did withdraw.

No one I know of on this site has reported their offer actually being withdrawn, and it would make for a pretty good ATL article if a school actually did it. I would be pretty surprised if any administrator at a decent school actually wanted to open themselves up to that. Take these "threats" with a grain of salt, they shouldn't be lowering themselves to that any way.

I'm not going to lie to them.

Good call. That seems like a bad idea generally. Be ruthless, but don't be dishonest on anything concrete. It's one thing to say you would really love to attend; something else entirely to promise explicitly to take concrete action you have no intention of taking.

To be honest, I read this wrong. Are they also requiring you to withdraw from schools where you were wait-listed? That's the stand I wanted to take.

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Effingham

Postby Effingham » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
No, they're just disallowing other seat deposits.

my bad, that sounds a lot less controversial and a lot easier to monitor on their end.

Just make sure you're confident you want to be there and it's your absolute best gamble, you'll have to live with this decision for a long time.

LMD

Postby LMD » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:50 pm

So, supposing our last negotiation salvo was sent two days ago and has been met with crickets, given that today is decision day, what is our play? E-mail politely tonight asking if there has been any consideration of last e-mail, call in the morning, wait and don't deposit, or make the (very small) seat deposit and continue negotiating?

keosu11

Postby keosu11 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 am

LMD wrote:So, supposing our last negotiation salvo was sent two days ago and has been met with crickets, given that today is decision day, what is our play? E-mail politely tonight asking if there has been any consideration of last e-mail, call in the morning, wait and don't deposit, or make the (very small) seat deposit and continue negotiating?

I would call tomorrow and ask for an extension because you asked for your scholarship to be reevaluated . If you send an email you risk it not being seen until after the deposit deadline.

Ehrler

Postby Ehrler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:57 am

No one reads the Financial Aid Board, so I thought this would be the next best place to solicit advice on using HYS admission as leverage at CCN:

I've been offered 1/4 tuition at 1 of CCN and and 1/2 in the lower T14. Above all 75ths.

In at 2 of HYS with 1/4 tuition in need grants.

I know CCN will care more about HYS (and maybe admission to peers) than L-T14 money.

What narrative do I spin to convince them I'd really rather go there with money? It's kind of hard to say I like your school more, but going to HLS would save me $1,234, so I need a revised award offer.

How do I tell CCN I need more money to attend over HYS without giving them the sense I think they're inferior?

altf4

Postby altf4 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:03 am

Ehrler wrote:No one reads the Financial Aid Board, so I thought this would be the next best place to solicit advice on using HYS admission as leverage at CCN:

I've been offered 1/4 tuition at 1 of CCN and and 1/2 in the lower T14. Above all 75ths.

I know CCN will care more about HYS (and maybe admission to peers) than L-T14 money.

What narrative do I spin to convince them I'd really rather go there with money? It's kind of hard to say I like your school more, but going to HLS would save me $1,234, so I need a revised award offer.

How do I tell CCN I need more money to attend over HYS without giving them the sense I think they're inferior?

It really shouldn't be hard to not sound insulting.

Tell CCN that you prefer their location, larger (or smaller) class size, a program or a professor or a clinic.. or if you have ties, use that.

Basically tell them you like aspects of ccn more and you'd rather go there if financially feasible (and that at the moment, hopefully CCN costs more, so you need the scholly boost).

Ehrler

Postby Ehrler » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:49 pm

altf4 wrote:
Ehrler wrote:No one reads the Financial Aid Board, so I thought this would be the next best place to solicit advice on using HYS admission as leverage at CCN:

Tell CCN that you prefer their location, larger (or smaller) class size, a program or a professor or a clinic.. or if you have ties, use that.

Basically tell them you like aspects of ccn more and you'd rather go there if financially feasible (and that at the moment, hopefully CCN costs more, so you need the scholly boost).

This doesn't help resolve my issue, but I think it does help me clarify.

HYS and CCN are thereabout equally financially viable. I'd just like to lower my coa and I know CCN is responsive to HYS admission. How do I say "as things stand I'm going to HYS even though cost is the same; This is credible because tons of people do it; are you willing to offer more to prevent it?"

I honestly like CCN faculty, size, location, programs more than YHS. I'm just trying to lower my coa. I have the ammunition to do so, I'm just looking for advice on how to deploy it rhetorically without arguing from some pathetically small difference in coa as things stand.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Ehrler wrote:
altf4 wrote:

This doesn't help resolve my issue, but I think it does help me clarify.

HYS and CCN are thereabout equally financially viable. I'd just like to lower my coa and I know CCN is responsive to HYS admission. How do I say "as things stand I'm going to HYS even though cost is the same; This is credible because tons of people do it; are you willing to offer more to prevent it?"

I honestly like CCN faculty, size, location, programs more than YHS. I'm just trying to lower my coa. I have the ammunition to do so, I'm just looking for advice on how to deploy it rhetorically without arguing from some pathetically small difference in coa as things stand.

This is all you need to say, imo.

usernotfound

Postby usernotfound » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:19 pm

Well, I wouldn't.
Last edited by usernotfound on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:23 pm

usernotfound wrote:Is there any downside to asking for more money? I'm trying to negotiate with my number one choice which is a t14 school, but I don't have any competing offers that would act as leverage.

I already received a half-decent merit scholarship, but would it hurt to ask for reconsideration even without leverage? Can they alter/rescind offers based on my proposal?

They won't rescind it, assuming your behavior meets minimal standards of decency, and yes, you can ask for an increase without competing offers - if they like you enough, and if the increase you ask for is reasonable, they may well just go for it (I didn't have to do this, but it has worked for others.)

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:26 pm

usernotfound wrote:Is there any downside to asking for more money? I'm trying to negotiate with my number one choice which is a t14 school, but I don't have any competing offers that would act as leverage.

I already received a half-decent merit scholarship, but would it hurt to ask for reconsideration even without leverage? Can they alter/rescind offers based on my proposal?

No, it only happens if you lie about getting a scholarship you did not receive, or lie about the amount.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Definitely wouldn't worry about them rescinding an offer. Just ask politely. Probably don't have a great shot without a competing offer, but it never hurts to try!

Drowninmyowntears

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Sent a scholarship negotiation and got only a $5000 increase (total, not per year). Any advice on follow up negotiations? Is it better to wait until after the deadline? What's the best strategy to get the most money? Lol

smiles123

Postby smiles123 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:38 pm

[quote="mec896"][quote="usernotfound"]Is there any downside to asking for more money? I'm trying to negotiate with my number one choice which is a t14 school, but I don't have any competing offers that would act as leverage.

I already received a half-decent merit scholarship, but would it hurt to ask for reconsideration even without leverage? Can they alter/rescind offers based on my proposal?[/quote]
No, it only happens if you lie about getting a scholarship you did not receive, or lie about the amount.[/quote]

^I think this was sarcastic... But definitely don't lie...

Just ask nicely. They may say no, but it can't hurt to try.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:55 pm

No, it only happens if you lie about getting a scholarship you did not receive, or lie about the amount.

He meant it is only rescinded if you lied about getting one or the amount.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:28 am

Winston1984 wrote:

He meant it is only rescinded if you lied about getting one or the amount.

^^^TCR

smiles123

Postby smiles123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Is it a good idea to use hard figures? For example, pointing out one schools tuition is 5k higher than the other or COL is estimated to $XXX higher in one area?

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm

currently trying to negotiate with fordham and waiting on her response...

i'll let y'all know how it goes. going with the hardball strategy

gillian

Postby gillian » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 pm

starry eyed wrote:currently trying to negotiate with fordham and waiting on her response...

Good luck... I got shot down hard by Fordham.

BananaSplit626

Postby BananaSplit626 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:40 pm

gillian wrote:
starry eyed wrote:currently trying to negotiate with fordham and waiting on her response...

Good luck... I got shot down hard by Fordham.

Got shot down twice.

equestrian+jd

Postby equestrian+jd » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I actually got Fordham to up my offer by 50%, granted it wasn't crazy high to being with. . . feel free to message me if you have any questions about it, although to be honest I don't really think I did anything so out of the ordinary to get the increase. . .

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:57 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:I'm failing at this negotiating. Maybe someone can advise.

I have almost an identical offer from top two choice schools that I'm considering. I showed both of them the two offers with how much I would love to go to their school if they would give me a little bit of more money to help me decide. I got shot down at both schools.

I have a couple of full rides (+RA positions) at some regional schools (family in these regions). Should I show my top two choice schools these full rides although I would prefer not to go there? I'm hesitant to show these offers because I'm afraid I may look as though I don't have my mind made up.

You need to create a differential to give yourself some leverage. Is the COL at both of your two top choices the same? If not, then emphasize how much more it will cost to attend that school when requesting an increase to cover the differential.

Similarly, when using lower ranked full ride offers for leverage with higher ranked schools, emphasize that you're nervous about the debt, and it's very tempting to avoid it altogether. Also relevant: Ask to speak to recent grads of the lower ranked schools who got full rides. See if you can get a feel for outcomes of students who went to that school under similar conditions, and then use that pool to emphasize to the higher ranked school that your odds seem pretty good.

For reference, the state school I was considering only gave out full rides to 5 people in the most recently graduated class. 1 was working at a small firm, three were at large firms that paid market, and the other one landed a federal clerkship. When I used this offer for leverage, I emphasized to my current school that my odds of a great outcome at the state school appeared to be 80%.

Get creative. What you're trying to do is convince them that you're truly on the fence and leaning towards a competitor. The objective reality is less important that you making a compelling argument that you believe another option makes more sense for you.

This worked!!!! Thank you Mark!!

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Note to everyone here:

Don't quit asking for money until they've told you no at least twice. This game isn't over until you've put down a second deposit or you aren't paying tuition. Keep asking, and don't feel bad about it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”