Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11019
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:19 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
1. The first one is actually a deadline that I already got a 2 week extension on.

2. Point taken, and I am willing to double deposit if necessary, but triple is stretching it.

I'm going with Hand's advice and emailing them right now, and will continue to negotiate all around :?


Sorry if that came off a little harsh. I remember thinking about how much money I was pissing away when I was going through it, and I know how hard it is to keep things in perspective when it's happening. You just have to think long term right now, and the extra $1,000 now seems a lot more real and immediate than $10,000 later. Just stay cool. In a couple of months you'll be settling in and patting yourself on the back as long as you can keep it together.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm failing at this negotiating. Maybe someone can advise.

I have almost an identical offer from top two choice schools that I'm considering. I showed both of them the two offers with how much I would love to go to their school if they would give me a little bit of more money to help me decide. I got shot down at both schools.

I have a couple of full rides (+RA positions) at some regional schools (family in these regions). Should I show my top two choice schools these full rides although I would prefer not to go there? I'm hesitant to show these offers because I'm afraid I may look as though I don't have my mind made up.

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11019
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:36 pm

LawsRUs wrote:I'm failing at this negotiating. Maybe someone can advise.

I have almost an identical offer from top two choice schools that I'm considering. I showed both of them the two offers with how much I would love to go to their school if they would give me a little bit of more money to help me decide. I got shot down at both schools.

I have a couple of full rides (+RA positions) at some regional schools (family in these regions). Should I show my top two choice schools these full rides although I would prefer not to go there? I'm hesitant to show these offers because I'm afraid I may look as though I don't have my mind made up.


You need to create a differential to give yourself some leverage. Is the COL at both of your two top choices the same? If not, then emphasize how much more it will cost to attend that school when requesting an increase to cover the differential.

Similarly, when using lower ranked full ride offers for leverage with higher ranked schools, emphasize that you're nervous about the debt, and it's very tempting to avoid it altogether. Also relevant: Ask to speak to recent grads of the lower ranked schools who got full rides. See if you can get a feel for outcomes of students who went to that school under similar conditions, and then use that pool to emphasize to the higher ranked school that your odds seem pretty good.

For reference, the state school I was considering only gave out full rides to 5 people in the most recently graduated class. 1 was working at a small firm, three were at large firms that paid market, and the other one landed a federal clerkship. When I used this offer for leverage, I emphasized to my current school that my odds of a great outcome at the state school appeared to be 80%.

Get creative. What you're trying to do is convince them that you're truly on the fence and leaning towards a competitor. The objective reality is less important that you making a compelling argument that you believe another option makes more sense for you.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Thank you, Mark. I really appreciate the reply. It helps a lot.

Falcon3
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:26 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Falcon3 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:59 pm

So I'm trying to ascertain whether I'm maxed out- I've received full tuition offers at several schools, and one living stipend offer contingent on establishing in-state tuition. I'm narrowed down to two schools:

#1- full tuition- relatively low COL- total COA would be ~55k

#2- named scholarship- works out to a living stipend 2L &3L contingent on becoming a resident- bad news: I have connections in a neighboring state where I"d like to do my summer internships, which would jeopardize the residency issue. TOTAL COA (with stipend): 29K

These are both TTT schools, and I've done my research, so please no lecture on choosing inferior schools- with deposit date looming, I'm seeing the only benefit of double depositing would be to extend the time I have to make a decision- these scholarships are the highest these schools give out- should I ask for a living stipend from school #1? I had no issue asking for reduced tuition, as it's basically play money, but a living stipend constitutes a real out-of-pocket charge for them.

joeschmoe
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby joeschmoe » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:15 pm

I've been working on negotiating my merit-based scholarships with two schools. One came back today after I asked for reconsideration and, without me giving the offer that I wanted them to match, gave me an offer that is less than what I was hoping. Is it rude to respond to the email that they sent me with their latest offer and give them the details of the offers that I was hoping that they would match?

TIA

User avatar
golden44
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby golden44 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:18 pm

.
Last edited by golden44 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMart
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby KMart » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:22 pm

I'd do option C. Although you can try talking to the higher ranked school about extending the deadline in light of the new scholarship offer to buy yourself more time.

User avatar
zlrup
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:38 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby zlrup » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:47 pm

.
Last edited by zlrup on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZ123
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby AZ123 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:55 pm

joeschmoe wrote:I've been working on negotiating my merit-based scholarships with two schools. One came back today after I asked for reconsideration and, without me giving the offer that I wanted them to match, gave me an offer that is less than what I was hoping. Is it rude to respond to the email that they sent me with their latest offer and give them the details of the offers that I was hoping that they would match?

TIA


Go for it. Worst case scenario, they say no. Best case scenario, you make easy $$

DK21
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:50 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DK21 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:02 pm

It's looking like all the schools I'm considering either aren't giving me aid, or are dragging their feet. NYU has said no already, but is it worth reaching out and appealing now in advance of hearing offers from elsewhere? I'm worried I won't hear back from places like Penn, Gtown, and CLS in time to let NYU respond, and NYU is maybe my top pick (them or CLS really). Thoughts on if it's worth hanging back and waiting?

User avatar
WichitaShocker
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby WichitaShocker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:55 am

hearsay77 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote: have a pending scholarship negotiation request with a school who said they would get back to me by April 15th (Wednesday). I just received a scholarship from another school, that this school would probably consider much more of a peer than the previous offers I sent them, and this new offer is about $30k greater than the offer the first school has given me. Should I send them an email with an update to my request with this offer, or wait for them to get back to me before sending them this offer? I feel like waiting could give me more leverage if they say no or don't increase my scholarship as much as I'd like, but I also have three deadlines this week and am still undecided and would like a firm answer from them before saying yes/no to the deadlines

A couple of things here.

1) You can always request an extension on the deposit deadline, especially the first one. This should buy you a little bit of time without having to pay up. It also politely communicates to the school that you're still on the fence.

2) Re: "I can't afford to double deposit": You're playing for keeps here, and there's huge money on the table. If you can get even a token $1k/year increase, your deposit money is more than covered. Odds are, you can get much more than that. It's still relatively early. The nail-biting won't happen until the second deposit deadline if you do it right. So do what you need to do to put up the money for multiple deposits. Credit cards, parents, whatever. Get it done. Now is no time to be frugal. Penny-wise, pound foolish and all that.


1. The first one is actually a deadline that I already got a 2 week extension on.

2. Point taken, and I am willing to double deposit if necessary, but triple is stretching it.

I'm going with Hand's advice and emailing them right now, and will continue to negotiate all around :?


Just wanted to let you know that I had a school with an original deadline of 4/1. I got them to extend to 4/15, and then asked and received another extension until 5/4, so it never hurts to ask especially if you are legitimately on the fence about it.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:32 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
1. The first one is actually a deadline that I already got a 2 week extension on.

2. Point taken, and I am willing to double deposit if necessary, but triple is stretching it.

I'm going with Hand's advice and emailing them right now, and will continue to negotiate all around :?


Sorry if that came off a little harsh. I remember thinking about how much money I was pissing away when I was going through it, and I know how hard it is to keep things in perspective when it's happening. You just have to think long term right now, and the extra $1,000 now seems a lot more real and immediate than $10,000 later. Just stay cool. In a couple of months you'll be settling in and patting yourself on the back as long as you can keep it together.


No worries :D thanks!

@Wichita, thats a good idea. Maybe I'll try for another extension :shock:

supersplittysplitter
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby supersplittysplitter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:04 am

what reason do you guys give when you ask for an extension? I've already asked 2 schools and just said I need more time to think and I got turned down twice, so I want to change up my approach for next time

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:50 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:what reason do you guys give when you ask for an extension? I've already asked 2 schools and just said I need more time to think and I got turned down twice, so I want to change up my approach for next time


I told a school that had an April 1st deadline that I hadn't heard back from a few of the schools I was considering about their scholarships/financial aid (which was completely true), and while I was seriously considering the school I couldn't make a decision until I had that information. They asked how long I would need to make a decision and gave me the 2 weeks I asked for.

User avatar
IsThisForReal
Posts: 3430
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby IsThisForReal » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:44 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:what reason do you guys give when you ask for an extension? I've already asked 2 schools and just said I need more time to think and I got turned down twice, so I want to change up my approach for next time

I think some of us are just unlucky. I've been turned down by every school when I asked for more $$ and the only extension I've gotten was 2 days. Not a whole lot you can do with 2 days.

ath160610
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ath160610 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:02 am

BU and BC gave me the same amount of money. I sent the offer from BC to BU and the offer from BU to BC but they won't negotiate with me at this time.
Do you think if I double deposited they would be willing to negotiate after the deposit deadline?

I tried another offer from GW with BU and BC as well and they wouldn't negotiate but I cannot tell if that's just because it is before the deposit deadline or if they never will.

User avatar
pcph
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby pcph » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:29 am

.
Last edited by pcph on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ineedacupofcoffee
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ineedacupofcoffee » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:09 am

DK21 wrote:It's looking like all the schools I'm considering either aren't giving me aid, or are dragging their feet. NYU has said no already, but is it worth reaching out and appealing now in advance of hearing offers from elsewhere? I'm worried I won't hear back from places like Penn, Gtown, and CLS in time to let NYU respond, and NYU is maybe my top pick (them or CLS really). Thoughts on if it's worth hanging back and waiting?

I think it's worth asking for more before they potentially "run out". It can't hurt, especially if you have any application updates to add. I can't speak to the others, but Georgetown is apparently known for being stingy.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:08 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
prodigal.daughter
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby prodigal.daughter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:I received an increase to one of my scholarships, but it's contingent on my withdrawing from all other law schools where I've been accepted. I figure I lose all leverage by doing that, and I'm not quite satisfied with that offer as a final scholarship amount. Am I killing any future reconsiderations from that law school by declining to accept this offer with the current provisions attached? Will they take it as a sign that I'm not seriously considering the school?

Well... are you seriously considering the school?

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:22 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
prodigal.daughter
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby prodigal.daughter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:
prodigal.daughter wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:I received an increase to one of my scholarships, but it's contingent on my withdrawing from all other law schools where I've been accepted. I figure I lose all leverage by doing that, and I'm not quite satisfied with that offer as a final scholarship amount. Am I killing any future reconsiderations from that law school by declining to accept this offer with the current provisions attached? Will they take it as a sign that I'm not seriously considering the school?

Well... are you seriously considering the school?

Yes.

Then if the school is really an option for you, but you're just not completely satisfied with that, I say you should just tell them that. I vote you thank them for the offer, but explain what's holding you back and see if you can't get that offer to an amount you'll be able to commit to. I'd try to negotiate before outright declining.

But if you can't come to an agreement that works for you, then, yeah, I assume the school will take it as a sign that you're not seriously considering them.

Effingham
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Effingham » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:I received an increase to one of my scholarships, but it's contingent on my withdrawing from all other law schools where I've been accepted. I figure I lose all leverage by doing that, and I'm not quite satisfied with that offer as a final scholarship amount. Am I killing any future reconsiderations from that law school by declining to accept this offer with the current provisions attached? Will they take it as a sign that I'm not seriously considering the school?


I knew of some people who received similar offers and simply lied...I know of other people who had similar offers and did withdraw.

No one I know of on this site has reported their offer actually being withdrawn, and it would make for a pretty good ATL article if a school actually did it. I would be pretty surprised if any administrator at a decent school actually wanted to open themselves up to that. Take these "threats" with a grain of salt, they shouldn't be lowering themselves to that any way.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:47 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”