Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UOI4430

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby UOI4430 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Is it appropriate to contact the admissions office by phone if you haven't heard back from them over a week (i.e. 10 days)? I am worried because I have a deposit deadline on the 1st and I cannot move forward without a revised offer.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:08 am

UOI4430 wrote:Is it appropriate to contact the admissions office by phone if you haven't heard back from them over a week (i.e. 10 days)? I am worried because I have a deposit deadline on the 1st and I cannot move forward without a revised offer.

I don't see any problem with a polite checking in phone call. If you really want an excuse just say that you were having issues with your emails going to the junk inbox for other people and you wanted to ensure that hadn't happened in your case.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 am

aibohphobia wrote:So I just made my first attempt to start the process, and I'm not quite sure how to interpret the response. Cornell gave me a scholarship lower than one of mvp and I was trying to initiate (just intitiate, since I didn't know if the person I was talking to was the correct person for the topic) the conversation about whether they would increase their offer. I sent something to the extent of "im excited about the offer, law school is expensive, who can I talk to about my merit aid package and my unique situation". Basically I wanted to know who to talk to about negotiation. I got back a response basically saying we can't break down which portion of the offer is need and which is merit based.

Honestly, at this point cost and placement are all I"m really worried about and cornell placement is great so if they lowered their cost it would jump to my number one. Was I just way too subtle in my request or was that a tacit denial for a negotiation?

I think whatever you said in the initial email was confusing or misleading in some way to make the person think you were asking about need vs merit. Just send a new email and only say "I am reaching out to find out who to contact about scholarship reassessments." Do the polite hello and thank you for your time type of lines, but do not say anything else. Or you could just send the negotiation and it will find its way to the right hands.

Broncos847

Postby Broncos847 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 am

Anyone have any anecdotes about negotiating with T14 using T20 scholarships? WashU offered me 120k, a lower end T14 offered me 30k. I'd really really like to attend the T14 but i'd need them to get up to 60k, 45k at a minimum to make it feasible. I sent a letter to the T14 explaining my situation, and they immediately got back to me asking for copies of my offer. I sent it, but i'm afraid they'll just scoff at it because they aren't "peer schools". Anyone have any experience they'd like to share?

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:51 am

I sent in a scholarship reconsideration letter to a school this week and in return they asked for an interview to discuss it with me. Anybody been in a similar situation or have any advice going into my meeting with the dean?

nosocat

Postby nosocat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 am

mec896 wrote:
aibohphobia wrote:So I just made my first attempt to start the process, and I'm not quite sure how to interpret the response. Cornell gave me a scholarship lower than one of mvp and I was trying to initiate (just intitiate, since I didn't know if the person I was talking to was the correct person for the topic) the conversation about whether they would increase their offer. I sent something to the extent of "im excited about the offer, law school is expensive, who can I talk to about my merit aid package and my unique situation". Basically I wanted to know who to talk to about negotiation. I got back a response basically saying we can't break down which portion of the offer is need and which is merit based.

Honestly, at this point cost and placement are all I"m really worried about and cornell placement is great so if they lowered their cost it would jump to my number one. Was I just way too subtle in my request or was that a tacit denial for a negotiation?

I think whatever you said in the initial email was confusing or misleading in some way to make the person think you were asking about need vs merit. Just send a new email and only say "I am reaching out to find out who to contact about scholarship reassessments." Do the polite hello and thank you for your time type of lines, but do not say anything else. Or you could just send the negotiation and it will find its way to the right hands.

I'd go with the latter - you have already sent one email that sounds like it was beating around the bush (based on them misinterpreting it) so just go ahead and get to the point. If you're not sending it to the right person, they can forward it.

Skool

Postby Skool » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:06 am

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:I sent in a scholarship reconsideration letter to a school this week and in return they asked for an interview to discuss it with me. Anybody been in a similar situation or have any advice going into my meeting with the dean?

Make sure you sound convincing in how badly you want to go. I kind of get the feeling that these guys are willing to negotiate for people who really want to come to their schools, but they don't just want to be tools for lowering COA at other schools

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:55 am

Skool wrote:
MEAhrnsbrak wrote:I sent in a scholarship reconsideration letter to a school this week and in return they asked for an interview to discuss it with me. Anybody been in a similar situation or have any advice going into my meeting with the dean?

Make sure you sound convincing in how badly you want to go. I kind of get the feeling that these guys are willing to negotiate for people who really want to come to their schools, but they don't just want to be tools for lowering COA at other schools

+1. I honestly think of it as YP for scholarships. They want to save what they have left to get the best of the people who will actually show up before a deposit deadline. It may also be school policy to require interviews above a certain scholly bracket, the way they use interviews for named awards. It's also a great negotiation tactic.

MEAhrnsbrak

Postby MEAhrnsbrak » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 pm

mec896 wrote:
Skool wrote:

+1. I honestly think of it as YP for scholarships. They want to save what they have left to get the best of the people who will actually show up before a deposit deadline. It may also be school policy to require interviews above a certain scholly bracket, the way they use interviews for named awards. It's also a great negotiation tactic.

Thanks! This makes me feel better going into the interview. This is the school I've picked out that I want to go to, so hopefully I'll be able to portray that. I've picked out housing and all of that fun stuff, so as long as I can negotiate some additional money then I will be there in the fall!

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:28 pm

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:
Thanks! This makes me feel better going into the interview. This is the school I've picked out that I want to go to, so hopefully I'll be able to portray that. I've picked out housing and all of that fun stuff, so as long as I can negotiate some additional money then I will be there in the fall!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

motoman92

Postby motoman92 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Broncos847 wrote:Anyone have any anecdotes about negotiating with T14 using T20 scholarships? WashU offered me 120k, a lower end T14 offered me 30k. I'd really really like to attend the T14 but i'd need them to get up to 60k, 45k at a minimum to make it feasible. I sent a letter to the T14 explaining my situation, and they immediately got back to me asking for copies of my offer. I sent it, but i'm afraid they'll just scoff at it because they aren't "peer schools". Anyone have any experience they'd like to share?

If you're talking about Gtown, I have some encouraging news.

Gtown originally gave me $105K in response of UT's $102K offer, and then bumped me up to $120K after I told them about the Dean's Fellowship I received from WUSTL (full scholly + other benefits)

chipdouglass

Postby chipdouglass » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Long time lurker, but I have a question to shoot off: what exactly is considered a "peer school" for scholarship negotiations?

For example, would UNC be impressed by a substantial scholly offer I received from Indiana-Bloomington since they're tied in the latest USNews rankings (25k from Indiana vs. 15k from North Carolina)? Would Wake Forest be considered a peer of UNC since both are in-state T1s even though UNC has more prestige than Wake Forest (Wake Forest offered me 27k)?

How exactly do region and rankings play into whether or not a certain school is a peer of another school?

WichitaShocker

Postby WichitaShocker » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:13 pm

chipdouglass wrote:Long time lurker, but I have a question to shoot off: what exactly is considered a "peer school" for scholarship negotiations?

For example, would UNC be impressed by a substantial scholly offer I received from Indiana-Bloomington since they're tied in the latest USNews rankings (25k from Indiana vs. 15k from North Carolina)? Would Wake Forest be considered a peer of UNC since both are in-state T1s even though UNC has more prestige than Wake Forest (Wake Forest offered me 27k)?

How exactly do region and rankings play into whether or not a certain school is a peer of another school?

I think that UNC would be more likely to respond to an offer from WF than IU-B especially if you are from NC. I would bet that UNC loses significantly more students to WF than to IU-B, but there is no reason you can not send both offers to UNC. Simply thank them for their offer, and let them know you are also considering these two other options. As long as you are polite I do not see a down side. Good luck!

whodatninja

Postby whodatninja » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:23 pm

Anyone know if Chicago generally will entertain increasing money with an offer from NW? I got $165k from NW and $120k from Chicago and I'd like to get it matched if possible. I also got $120k from Duke and I'm considering using the difference in CoL between Durham and Hyde Park to try and get more from Chicago.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:43 pm

whodatninja wrote:Anyone know if Chicago generally will entertain increasing money with an offer from NW? I got $165k from NW and $120k from Chicago and I'd like to get it matched if possible. I also got $120k from Duke and I'm considering using the difference in CoL between Durham and Hyde Park to try and get more from Chicago.

I'm not entirely sure but my .02 would be that NW is a better school for non-academic work. It's a bit more practical in their education than uChi which slights theoretical. uChi is a great school, but if they don't change their offer NU is not a bad choice, especially at that price. River North can quickly make the cost even, but there are plenty of cheaper neighborhoods with accessibility to NU.

iamdumb

Postby iamdumb » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 am

Hey guys, I need help with a few negotiations. I would really appreciate any insights:

Let's say I got Michigan to up their offer in response to a higher offer from Duke, but they did not match it all the way. What would be TCR for me to get them to up it a bit more.

Also, if I wanted Duke to up their offer (currently my highest), what would I use? Should I use CCN acceptance as leverage? I also have big money from a regional school (think UT, UCLA, Vandy).

I have yet to hear from GULC and I have a lowball offer from NU that I was thinking about negotiating. Should I use m acceptance at a higher ranked school or should I use my big UCLA acceptance?

iVi

Postby iVi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 am

Total newb question, but when sending an email to negotiate do you use a standard business letter format and add it as an attachment like with an LOCI? Or do you just write everything in the email?

TIA!

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:31 am

iVi wrote:Total newb question, but when sending an email to negotiate do you use a standard business letter format and add it as an attachment like with an LOCI? Or do you just write everything in the email?

TIA!

I've just been sending it in the body of an email.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:56 am

iamdumb wrote:Hey guys, I need help with a few negotiations. I would really appreciate any insights:

Let's say I got Michigan to up their offer in response to a higher offer from Duke, but they did not match it all the way. What would be TCR for me to get them to up it a bit more.

Also, if I wanted Duke to up their offer (currently my highest), what would I use? Should I use CCN acceptance as leverage? I also have big money from a regional school (think UT, UCLA, Vandy).

I have yet to hear from GULC and I have a lowball offer from NU that I was thinking about negotiating. Should I use m acceptance at a higher ranked school or should I use my big UCLA acceptance?

Not sure about how you can get Michigan to up their offer any more with the Duke offer if you already sent it to them, but you could try higher offers from lower ranked schools (which may not work, but you can give it a shot). I would use both for Duke, mention a CCN acceptance, and also send the regional offer. Again, it may not have much leverage, but worth a shot!

aibohphobia

Postby aibohphobia » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 pm

nosocat wrote:
mec896 wrote:

I'd go with the latter - you have already sent one email that sounds like it was beating around the bush (based on them misinterpreting it) so just go ahead and get to the point. If you're not sending it to the right person, they can forward it.

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out it was the TCR. I was explicitly clear and immediately got a request for offer letters

rokiv

Postby rokiv » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:20 pm

This has probably been answered somewhere. But 80 pages is a lot to scroll through.

What's the TCR on asking for more after they've already increased (albeit small increase)?

Also, if I have another school currently reviewing my appeal for more scholarship should I inform them of the others increased offer?

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:29 am

rokiv wrote:This has probably been answered somewhere. But 80 pages is a lot to scroll through.

What's the TCR on asking for more after they've already increased (albeit small increase)?

Also, if I have another school currently reviewing my appeal for more scholarship should I inform them of the others increased offer?

Do you have another offer you can use to try to get an additional increase? I don't think you can try unless you have some new leverage to show them.

You can, or else you can save the increased offer in case you'd like to ask them for more after hearing back.

Broncos847

Postby Broncos847 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
rokiv wrote:This has probably been answered somewhere. But 80 pages is a lot to scroll through.

Do you have another offer you can use to try to get an additional increase? I don't think you can try unless you have some new leverage to show them.

You can, or else you can save the increased offer in case you'd like to ask them for more after hearing back.

What if literally 5k a year difference would be a complete game changer? I got my reconsideration this morning and it was justttt a little less than I needed. I assume sending a polite but kinda blunt email telling them this is not the move?

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Broncos847 wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:

What if literally 5k a year difference would be a complete game changer? I got my reconsideration this morning and it was justttt a little less than I needed. I assume sending a polite but kinda blunt email telling them this is not the move?

you can say "thanks for the increased offer, if you want to seal the deal, add another 5k/yr and I'll sign the forms". works for some.

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Is there anything beyond a simple "Thank you" that's expected in response to an increase your scholarship money after you requested a reassessment? I know this is getting pedantic, but I'm a little gun shy about talking to admissions people lately.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”