Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hearsay77

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 pm

NoOneImportant wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:So far I've been unsuccessful on 3/3 negotiation requests....I thought this was supposed to be a big cycle for negotiation :cry: :cry:

Same here. 2 no's. 1 not now. 1 we'll get back to you.

Yea similar situation here...1 was a no, the other 2 were "we'll reconsider after the deposit deadline"

anxiousAF

Postby anxiousAF » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:04 pm

I can't seem to find a clear answer to this:

If I have received only need-based aid from a school, is this something that can be negotiated? With merit scholarships I can see how you can negotiate, as ostensibly they are providing it to you for your achievements and you can make a case about how much those are worth. But for need-based aid? It feels different somehow.

School in question is GW. I haven't received any merit money from them, so I am wondering if to talk to them about my financial situation as a whole and see if they want to offer a merit or add more need-based. Thoughts?

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:46 pm

Last edited by RubyRod on Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:57 pm

^^ yea that; also, @anxious, the max amount for need based for GW is $16k from what I was told, so it would also depend on how much you got.

anxiousAF

Postby anxiousAF » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for the replies mec & LawsRus.

I was unaware that GW's need based max was 16k...which is what I got, a dubious distinction.

I've been cooking up an email to send to them, and with this knowledge I'll tailor it differently to ask about the possibility of a merit scholarship like you mentioned mec896. I appreciate the help.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:13 pm

anxiousAF wrote:Thanks for the replies mec & LawsRus.

I was unaware that GW's need based max was 16k...which is what I got, a dubious distinction.

I've been cooking up an email to send to them, and with this knowledge I'll tailor it differently to ask about the possibility of a merit scholarship like you mentioned mec896. I appreciate the help.

Good luck! Could you pm me if you are successful? (I also received that $16k.) Thanks!!

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:33 pm

I 1000000% did not apply to enough peer schools.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:47 pm

Anyone tried using a Northwestern offer to negotiate with UVA?

Hand

Postby Hand » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Anyone tried using a Northwestern offer to negotiate with UVA?

do you have a northwestern offer?

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:54 pm

Not yet, but expecting one any day. They offered me $105K last cycle, so I'd imagine (hope) it's in that range this time around.

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:59 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Anyone tried using a Northwestern offer to negotiate with UVA?

Wondering the same thing. Love to be at UVA, but I get the sense they might be irrationally snooty about Northwestern.

RubyRod

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:43 pm

So my scholarship reservation response letter has an interesting option
Please check one

I want to reserve my scholarship. I am attending in the fall.
I want to reserve my scholarship. I am unsure if I will be attending in the fall.
I do not wish to reserve my scholarship. I will not be attending in the fall.

Anyone see a downside in clicking the I'm unsure option?

JamesMcGillEsquire

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:58 pm

Not sure if this has come up before, but as you know some schools asked in their app to list the other schools we applied to or intended to apply to. Since I submitted my apps very early, I wasn't sure of all the schools I was applying to when I filled out this question. So, if I tried to negotiate using a school NOT listed on my app, would that raise eyebrows? Or am I over-thinking this?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 am

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:Not sure if this has come up before, but as you know some schools asked in their app to list the other schools we applied to or intended to apply to. Since I submitted my apps very early, I wasn't sure of all the schools I was applying to when I filled out this question. So, if I tried to negotiate using a school NOT listed on my app, would that raise eyebrows? Or am I over-thinking this?

Hey. You are def overthinking this. You're okay.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:10 am

mec896 wrote:So my scholarship reservation response letter has an interesting option
Please check one

I want to reserve my scholarship. I am attending in the fall.
I want to reserve my scholarship. I am unsure if I will be attending in the fall.
I do not wish to reserve my scholarship. I will not be attending in the fall.

Anyone see a downside in clicking the I'm unsure option?

I'm curious about this too.

greggags2

Postby greggags2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:09 pm

I have a negotiation all typed up and set to go. I have a Law school in my home town that offered me a scholarship and I calculated out that it would cost me about 20k to go there a year without living costs because I could live at home. Another school is out of state but gave me a decent scholarship so it would cost 18k a year to go there but I would have to pay for living costs (about 10k a year). Is using the fact that I can live at home and have no living costs good to use as leverage when negotiating with the out of state school?

Thanks in advance!

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 pm

greggags2 wrote:I have a negotiation all typed up and set to go. I have a Law school in my home town that offered me a scholarship and I calculated out that it would cost me about 20k to go there a year without living costs because I could live at home. Another school is out of state but gave me a decent scholarship so it would cost 18k a year to go there but I would have to pay for living costs (about 10k a year). Is using the fact that I can live at home and have no living costs good to use as leverage when negotiating with the out of state school?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds good to me!

beverley

Postby beverley » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm

So besides USC, Notre Dame, and any school that goes about negotiation through the one time match or reconsideration form, are there any schools we for sure cannot involve in double deposits? Definitely want to do this for negotiation, but just want to make sure my schools won't pull admission or money or anything.

greggags2

Postby greggags2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:13 pm

For those who have negotiated scholarships before. What did you do to show the scholarship of the competing school? Did you forward the e-mail that had the scholarship amount to the school you were negotiating with? I have heard people attach it to an email but I do not have a hard copy so how would I do that?

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:15 pm

greggags2 wrote:For those who have negotiated scholarships before. What did you do to show the scholarship of the competing school? Did you forward the e-mail that had the scholarship amount to the school you were negotiating with? I have heard people attach it to an email but I do not have a hard copy so how would I do that?

All schools should offer a printable copy of your scholarship award. Check your student portal or email the adm. office saying you want a physical copy. Then scan and attach it as a pdf when you negotiate.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:17 pm

greggags2 wrote:For those who have negotiated scholarships before. What did you do to show the scholarship of the competing school? Did you forward the e-mail that had the scholarship amount to the school you were negotiating with? I have heard people attach it to an email but I do not have a hard copy so how would I do that?

If you have chrome, you can "print" the email, and under where you select a printer, choose "save as pdf". then attach the pdf

greggags2

Postby greggags2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:21 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:

If you have chrome, you can "print" the email, and under where you select a printer, choose "save as pdf". then attach the pdf

Thanks!

idontknow1

Postby idontknow1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:32 pm

I am not sure if this has been answered, sorry if it has.

If I didn't apply to any peer schools can I try to negotiate with a school? I am trying to type out the email but I am not sure what to say exactly; any tips? Their offer is about 125k but I would want atleast 150k to attend.

pcph

Postby pcph » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Last edited by pcph on Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

greggags2

Postby greggags2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Anyone had success negotiating with Penn State? I would really like to got here but they would have to increase their offer to make it worth going there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”