Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
oshberg28
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby oshberg28 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:12 pm

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Have to agree take the $$ and go to WUSTL, but c'mon, St. Louis a great city? LOL. Thanks for the Tuesday AM laugh, I needed it.


Instead of laughing, why not give your reasons for why you don't think STL is a great city? If you like a bustling city, STL isn't for you, for sure.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:11 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Have to agree take the $$ and go to WUSTL, but c'mon, St. Louis a great city? LOL. Thanks for the Tuesday AM laugh, I needed it.


Instead of laughing, why not give your reasons for why you don't think STL is a great city? If you like a bustling city, STL isn't for you, for sure.


I visited STL because WUSTL gave me a pretty large offer as well and I felt I had to give it a chance and honestly really, really didn't like it. I'm probably going to pass up the $$...

User avatar
zlrup
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:38 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby zlrup » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 pm

When you show one school a better offer from another school, do they usually match, or give you more aid (if they decided they want you)?

enkle
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:06 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby enkle » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:53 pm

capsoccer wrote:Want to ask for deposit deadline extension and negotiate more scholarship $ from same school. Is it okay to put both in the same letter or should I send one before the other? (possibly scholly negotiation now and then deadline extension closer to April 1 deadline)


Also curious about this question, afraid it got skipped over.

User avatar
LawsRUs
Posts: 1970
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:08 pm

What do you think about this matter? I would appreciate any feedback.

So a $15k increase from my initial offer at one school would definitely bring me to them. Do you think I should ask for this specific dollar amount, or...?

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:33 am

zlrup wrote:When you show one school a better offer from another school, do they usually match, or give you more aid (if they decided they want you)?


Depends on the schools and the offers. This question is way too vague.

LawsRUs wrote:What do you think about this matter? I would appreciate any feedback.

So a $15k increase from my initial offer at one school would definitely bring me to them. Do you think I should ask for this specific dollar amount, or...?


I wouldn't ask for the specific amount in case they want to give you more by any chance!

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RubyRod » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Anyone have any luck getting an increase before they had other offers. If so how did you go about it? I don't think I applied to enough peer schools... Thinking about trying to set up a 1 on 1 with a financial aid officer during ASW to get a handle on loans since I'm super debt averse. Wondering if I should start trying to negotiate while I'm at it.

User avatar
spencercross
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby spencercross » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:00 pm

mec896 wrote:I don't think I applied to enough peer schools...

Same here. Silly me, thinking schools that accepted me would offer me money because they actually want me to attend and not just because I extorted it out of them by leveraging offers from schools I never had any intention of actually attending. Guess that's a good first lesson for law school.

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:34 pm

Need advice! These are 3 year totals

30k at UCI
75k at Hastings (with a raise on the way)
130k at Loyola
Waiting on Davis but I expect to get some money there.

UCI is my top choice but clearly the worst offer. Is my best bet to wait for my acceptance/offer from Davis and use that as leverage? Or can I use Hastings... I know they are much lower than UCI in rankings.... or can I use Loyola and say I want to be in the LA area but I need more money... help please!

Also, how much time should I allow for negotiating? I think Davis would be my best bet but they are taking a long time to get back to me and I'm afraid to wait for their offer to negotiate and then it's too late!!!!


Any advice would be amazing thank you!!!!!!!!!

sp_crowell
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sp_crowell » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:Need advice! These are 3 year totals

30k at UCI
75k at Hastings (with a raise on the way)
130k at Loyola
Waiting on Davis but I expect to get some money there.

UCI is my top choice but clearly the worst offer. Is my best bet to wait for my acceptance/offer from Davis and use that as leverage? Or can I use Hastings... I know they are much lower than UCI in rankings.... or can I use Loyola and say I want to be in the LA area but I need more money... help please!

Also, how much time should I allow for negotiating? I think Davis would be my best bet but they are taking a long time to get back to me and I'm afraid to wait for their offer to negotiate and then it's too late!!!!


Any advice would be amazing thank you!!!!!!!!!


If I were you, I would use Loyola to support your assertion that LA is your end goal. I would tell UCI that they're your clear number one and that you will attend with the right anount of assistance (but obviously cost of tuition, plus COL in LA is an important factor in your decision). Be prepared for UCI to ask exactly what you want from them.

sp_crowell
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sp_crowell » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Radio silence from my top choice re: negotiations for the last 3ish weeks. Any advice on when I should apply the full-court press? Trying to be polite but aggressive here.

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:45 pm

sp_crowell wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Need advice! These are 3 year totals

30k at UCI
75k at Hastings (with a raise on the way)
130k at Loyola
Waiting on Davis but I expect to get some money there.

UCI is my top choice but clearly the worst offer. Is my best bet to wait for my acceptance/offer from Davis and use that as leverage? Or can I use Hastings... I know they are much lower than UCI in rankings.... or can I use Loyola and say I want to be in the LA area but I need more money... help please!

Also, how much time should I allow for negotiating? I think Davis would be my best bet but they are taking a long time to get back to me and I'm afraid to wait for their offer to negotiate and then it's too late!!!!


Any advice would be amazing thank you!!!!!!!!!


If I were you, I would use Loyola to support your assertion that LA is your end goal. I would tell UCI that they're your clear number one and that you will attend with the right anount of assistance (but obviously cost of tuition, plus COL in LA is an important factor in your decision). Be prepared for UCI to ask exactly what you want from them.

You mean schools will ask exactly how much $$ you hope to get from them? Yikes I have no idea what to say...should I just ask for a lot and see what they offer in response?

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RubyRod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote: Yikes I have no idea what to say...should I just ask for a lot and see what they offer in response?


This actually got a brilliant answer in around pg 20? Obviously your goal is something that may sound greedy, that being said you should be allowed to ask for it. To temper the crazy number, really think about the number you would need to consider attending. Say it's 90k. Since negotiations are a back and forth and you never want to actually show your hand....

Thank you for your response. After much thought I believe an offer of 95k would make ABC university a top choice for me, however if I got a full tuition scholarship I would be hard pressed to find a reason not to submit my deposit and withdraw from other schools immediately.

ETA: Asking directly for a number is one of the strongest negotiation tactics there are. I believe there is a trick answer that I cannot figure out the wording of. Something to the effect of, it is hard for me to put a monetary value on what I believe myself and my talents are worth.

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:21 pm

mec896 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote: Yikes I have no idea what to say...should I just ask for a lot and see what they offer in response?


This actually got a brilliant answer in around pg 20? Obviously your goal is something that may sound greedy, that being said you should be allowed to ask for it. To temper the crazy number, really think about the number you would need to consider attending. Say it's 90k. Since negotiations are a back and forth and you never want to actually show your hand....

Thank you for your response. After much thought I believe an offer of 95k would make ABC university a top choice for me, however if I got a full tuition scholarship I would be hard pressed to find a reason not to submit my deposit and withdraw from other schools immediately.

ETA: Asking directly for a number is one of the strongest negotiation tactics there are. I believe there is a trick answer that I cannot figure out the wording of. Something to the effect of, it is hard for me to put a monetary value on what I believe myself and my talents are worth.


Thanks!!! This is very helpful!!!!!!!

User avatar
Drowninmyowntears
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:48 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Drowninmyowntears » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:26 pm

mec896 wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote: Yikes I have no idea what to say...should I just ask for a lot and see what they offer in response?


This actually got a brilliant answer in around pg 20? Obviously your goal is something that may sound greedy, that being said you should be allowed to ask for it. To temper the crazy number, really think about the number you would need to consider attending. Say it's 90k. Since negotiations are a back and forth and you never want to actually show your hand....

Thank you for your response. After much thought I believe an offer of 95k would make ABC university a top choice for me, however if I got a full tuition scholarship I would be hard pressed to find a reason not to submit my deposit and withdraw from other schools immediately.

ETA: Asking directly for a number is one of the strongest negotiation tactics there are. I believe there is a trick answer that I cannot figure out the wording of. Something to the effect of, it is hard for me to put a monetary value on what I believe myself and my talents are worth.



Sorry just one last question....should I include the exact number I'm looking for in my initial message to them or just wait for them to ask??

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RubyRod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:03 pm

Drowninmyowntears wrote:

Sorry just one last question....should I include the exact number I'm looking for in my initial message to them or just wait for them to ask??


Consensus is that you always wait to ask.

Just like asking for numbers is a powerful negotiation tactic, giving your numbers is the quickest way to loose leverage.

Side Note: I am going to drive myself insane looking for the trick answer to this question. I have used this tactic before negotiating terms for bands and I've been on both sides of the table.... I was always the one to start asking for numbers first though.

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RubyRod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:09 pm

NEW QUESTION.

So I am still waiting on awards decisions almost everywhere. Considering the reality of negotiating with students law schools must account for this, and therefore I feel like the one award I have can probably go up. Has anyone had luck getting a solo offer up? Thinking of just sending a note asking for a one on one with a financial aid counselor while I'm in town for ASW where I mention how debt averse I am/how nervous loans are making me despite the scholly. Not actually asking for more aid but maybe inspiring a second look. I need to meet with someone in FinAid anyway so some kind of email is going out to them regardless. Just wondering if A. the extra effort in the finaid email is worth it or B. I should just try a legitimate pass at negotiating now and come back again later. I only have 4 weeks till the deadline to accept the $$$.

ub3r
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ub3r » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Do you think Columbia at sticker can be used as leverage for UCLA? UCLA has already offered me 40k per year (out of 45k state tuition), but it would be nice to cover that final bit of tuition if possible.

Other than that I've got 75k at Mich and probably slightly less at Duke (still pending though).

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RubyRod » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:07 pm

ub3r wrote:Do you think Columbia at sticker can be used as leverage for UCLA? UCLA has already offered me 40k per year (out of 45k state tuition), but it would be nice to cover that final bit of tuition if possible.

Other than that I've got 75k at Mich and probably slightly less at Duke (still pending though).


Have you tried to negotiate with Columbia using Mich and UCLA? Sticker might, but sticker + $ would be better. There is an old post on here that suggested going back to UCLA multiple times. That person wound up with full tuition over 4 months. Said she sent something like 6 requests and got 2 non consecutive nos. Wound up with full tuition.

I'm also curious about any negotiations so far with UCLA, stats, etc if you don't mind? PMing it to me if that makes you more comfortable. I'm about to start trying with them soon. Expecting aid package this week.

ub3r
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ub3r » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:33 am

I dunno man, I feel like Columbia doesn't give a shit about what UCLA (or even Michigan, short of a full ride) is offering me.

hearsay77
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby hearsay77 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:40 pm

So far I've been unsuccessful on 3/3 negotiation requests....I thought this was supposed to be a big cycle for negotiation :cry: :cry:

NoOneImportant
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NoOneImportant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:44 pm

hearsay77 wrote:So far I've been unsuccessful on 3/3 negotiation requests....I thought this was supposed to be a big cycle for negotiation :cry: :cry:


Same here. 2 no's. 1 not now. 1 we'll get back to you.

User avatar
Dr. Nefario
Posts: 2337
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Dr. Nefario » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 pm

It feels like everyone is saying no negotiation til after deposit deadline. How do poor kids afford to double deposit? I'm struggling to scrap up $500 for even one school with my current situation

NoOneImportant
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:18 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NoOneImportant » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:56 pm

Just another thought: part of me wants to attribute my failure at this to technique - I didn't word it right or broach it correctly, etc. - but I'm beginning to feel like no matter what I said or how I said it, the answer was always going to be no.

RubyRod
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RubyRod » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:08 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:It feels like everyone is saying no negotiation til after deposit deadline. How do poor kids afford to double deposit? I'm struggling to scrap up $500 for even one school with my current situation


There is a lot of talk in this thread about having them extend your deposit deadline based on uncertainty of aid. LSAC has some best practices about not expecting non-refundable deposits before everything is certain. It's quoted somewhere in this thread. I wouldn't mention it unless they give you push back, or if you do mention it mention it very very very gently.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”