Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LMD

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby LMD » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 am

spencercross wrote:
Drowninmyowntears wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked:

Has anyone had any success getting a scholarship increase without having a peer school to leverage the request?

I'm curious about this too. Is "I'm sorry, but I just can't afford you with your current offer" ever a viable tactic?

Emory offered me 114 and I told them I needed a full ride without offering any competing offers, though I have stats that would get me full rides to higher ranked schools. It got forwarded to their Dean of Admissions who responded "Thanks for letting us know your plans." It was pretty clear from the tone that he really enjoyed rejecting my request, but I was probably way too direct and not deferential enough for a school that pretends it's still the 1950s-- and, perhaps more relevantly, historically doesn't negotiate.

annlean

Postby annlean » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 am

I got full ride from T15~T20. Is it possible to match it to lower T14 or should I accept the full ride? Deposit day is approaching and my nerve is racking... Thanks for any suggestion

Dr. Nefario

Postby Dr. Nefario » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:26 am

annlean wrote:I got full ride from T15~T20. Is it possible to match it to lower T14 or should I accept the full ride? Deposit day is approaching and my nerve is racking... Thanks for any suggestion

Depends on who the schools are. Just post them if you want sound advice. Makes a big difference if you're talking like Cornell and Minnesota or you're talking Georgetown and Texas.

Skool

Postby Skool » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:30 am

LMD wrote:
spencercross wrote:

Has anyone had any success getting a scholarship increase without having a peer school to leverage the request?

I'm curious about this too. Is "I'm sorry, but I just can't afford you with your current offer" ever a viable tactic?

Emory offered me 114 and I told them I needed a full ride without offering any competing offers, though I have stats that would get me full rides to higher ranked schools. It got forwarded to their Dean of Admissions who responded "Thanks for letting us know your plans." It was pretty clear from the tone that he really enjoyed rejecting my request, but I was probably way too direct and not deferential enough for a school that pretends it's still the 1950s-- and, perhaps more relevantly, historically doesn't negotiate.
Ouch. Maybe some lessons in there for all of us.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:38 am

LMD wrote:
spencercross wrote:

I don't know how you worded it, but saying you need a full ride could've come across as rude/insulting fwiw.

LawBound7

Postby LawBound7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:39 am

How much time does it usually take for a school to reply to your scholarship increase request? They confirmed the receipt of my request and my other offers. When is an appropriate time to inquire about it again? Thank you

annlean

Postby annlean » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Thanks. I am considering between WUSTL and GULC. Full ride vs at sticker

RaiderRed wrote:
annlean wrote:I got full ride from T15~T20. Is it possible to negotiate it with lower T14 or should I accept the full ride? Deposit day is approaching and my nerve is racking... Thanks for any suggestion

Depends on who the schools are. Just post them if you want sound advice. Makes a big difference if you're talking like Cornell and Minnesota or you're talking Georgetown and Texas.

SauceSoMild

Postby SauceSoMild » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Would like some advice on timetable for negotiating. So I'm headed to an ASW this coming weekend at a school that gave me decent money. Shortly following I'm visiting a school (non-ASW) that's higher ranked and gave me the same amount. I want to ask the lower ranked school for more, but am currently planning on doing it after the ASW so I can legitimately say "I had a great time, I can see myself there, top choice, yada yada yada." But April 1 is looming, so should I just do it now?

TIA

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:40 pm

SauceSoMild wrote:Would like some advice on timetable for negotiating. So I'm headed to an ASW this coming weekend at a school that gave me decent money. Shortly following I'm visiting a school (non-ASW) that's higher ranked and gave me the same amount. I want to ask the lower ranked school for more, but am currently planning on doing it after the ASW so I can legitimately say "I had a great time, I can see myself there, top choice, yada yada yada." But April 1 is looming, so should I just do it now?

TIA

Why don't u use the actual names of schools

SauceSoMild

Postby SauceSoMild » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
SauceSoMild wrote:Would like some advice on timetable for negotiating. So I'm headed to an ASW this coming weekend at a school that gave me decent money. Shortly following I'm visiting a school (non-ASW) that's higher ranked and gave me the same amount. I want to ask the lower ranked school for more, but am currently planning on doing it after the ASW so I can legitimately say "I had a great time, I can see myself there, top choice, yada yada yada." But April 1 is looming, so should I just do it now?

TIA

Why don't u use the actual names of schools

Personal choice.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Now is a great time to negotiate. I've noticed that some schools to which I've applied are freaking out.

LMD

Postby LMD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
LMD wrote:
spencercross wrote:

I don't know how you worded it, but saying you need a full ride could've come across as rude/insulting fwiw.

Yes, I agree, it was likely that viewed that way and wasn't the most carefully worded request. I really dislike niceties when both parties know what's going on but would do well to employ them a bit better.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:14 pm

If you have a visit set up with a certain school in 2 weeks, only to learn that they are not offering you ANY $$$ at all (despite being above for stats) would it be okay to cancel the visit for that reason? Or is that unprofessional?

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:If you have a visit set up with a certain school in 2 weeks, only to learn that they are not offering you ANY $$$ at all (despite being above for stats) would it be okay to cancel the visit for that reason? Or is that unprofessional?

Totally okay. :wink:

capsoccer

Postby capsoccer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Want to ask for deposit deadline extension and negotiate more scholarship $ from same school. Is it okay to put both in the same letter or should I send one before the other? (possibly scholly negotiation now and then deadline extension closer to April 1 deadline)

UOI4430

Postby UOI4430 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:54 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Now is a great time to negotiate. I've noticed that some schools to which I've applied are freaking out.

What do you mean they are freaking out? Like, they are worried about medians and such? I hope the schools I'm negotiating with are sweating it out (god knows I am).

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 pm

UOI4430 wrote:
supersplittysplitter wrote:Is it necessary to always mention more than one offer? If I have a big offer from a true peer school should I only mention that and keep it simple?

This is what I did. I haven't heard back yet, but I think that it is a good way to negotiate. It makes it sound like it's down to just the two schools in question, you know?

I agree. In my first negotiation the school I emailed completely ignored the higher offer anyway. I feel for the most part schools only care about offers from peers/ higher ranked schools, but I'm interested if anybody has been able to leverage a big offer from WUSTL/Emory/USC against a lower T14, for example.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:18 pm

UOI4430 wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:Now is a great time to negotiate. I've noticed that some schools to which I've applied are freaking out.

What do you mean they are freaking out? Like, they are worried about medians and such? I hope the schools I'm negotiating with are sweating it out (god knows I am).

1. unsolicited full rides
2. yep

limeo

Postby limeo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 pm

TIA

I waited until after ASW to negotiate so that I could talk about it in the negotiation letter as well, and I was successful in negotiating more money. Obviously there's no way of knowing if I would've had the same outcome if I had tried prior to ASW though. Good luck either way!

cocotruffles

Postby cocotruffles » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Last edited by cocotruffles on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SauceSoMild

Postby SauceSoMild » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:33 pm

limeo wrote:

TIA

I waited until after ASW to negotiate so that I could talk about it in the negotiation letter as well, and I was successful in negotiating more money. Obviously there's no way of knowing if I would've had the same outcome if I had tried prior to ASW though. Good luck either way!

Thanks. Wondering if others have had similar experiences.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:17 am

Hmm so the 3 schools I am currently negotiating with told me they will not get back to me until mid/late-April. I wanted to use these potential new offers to negotiate with a 4th school but it seems I won't be able to do that before the deposit deadline of the 4th school. Thoughts on using my negotiation material for the first 3 schools on the 4th school without waiting for a response from the 3 schools? Or should I bite the bullet and pay the first deposit for the 4th school so I can negotiate after hearing back from the other 3 schools? FYI, the 3 schools are in the MVP and CCN category and the 4th school is in the CCN category. As of now I would only be able to negotiate with the 4th school using H and a lower T14 full ride - good enough?

Shelbinole

Postby Shelbinole » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:38 am

annlean wrote:Thanks. I am considering between WUSTL and GULC. Full ride vs at sticker

RaiderRed wrote:
annlean wrote:I got full ride from T15~T20. Is it possible to negotiate it with lower T14 or should I accept the full ride? Deposit day is approaching and my nerve is racking... Thanks for any suggestion

don't pay full sticker for GULC. go to WUSTL. St Louis is a great city, trust me, I lived there my whole life.

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:14 am

Shelbinole wrote:
annlean wrote:Thanks. I am considering between WUSTL and GULC. Full ride vs at sticker

RaiderRed wrote:

don't pay full sticker for GULC. go to WUSTL. St Louis is a great city, trust me, I lived there my whole life.

Have to agree take the $$ and go to WUSTL, but c'mon, St. Louis a great city? LOL. Thanks for the Tuesday AM laugh, I needed it.

asf415

Postby asf415 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:57 pm

I was admitted into Chicago but they only gave me 30000, gpa> 75th and lsat at median. Recently I received 150k from Cornell and am still waiting on an offer from Duke. Do you guys think I should wait for Duke's offer to negotiate or proceed with just Cornell, not completely sure if they will even negotiate with Cornell's offer because of the ranking difference? Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”