Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Skool

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Skool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:39 pm

So I'm a noob at the whole negotiating thing.

Was it always like this, asking people to deposit before the May 1 deadline to keep their scholarship offers?

Was it always written into the depositing agreement that you couldn't double deposit?

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:45 pm

capsoccer wrote:George Washington responded to my email with higher offer from peer school saying that the scholarship committee is meeting early to review Increase requests and will be determined by April 15th. Then they said to keep my current merit scholarship I will need to deposit by April 1st :(

that's very interesting that seems like a way to deter negotiating since a lot of schollys have a deadline in early April..

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:49 pm

capsoccer wrote:George Washington responded to my email with higher offer from peer school saying that the scholarship committee is meeting early to review Increase requests and will be determined by April 15th. Then they said to keep my current merit scholarship I will need to deposit by April 1st :(

That's such a shitty tactic. You should ask for an extension.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Folks may be curious to know that April 1 is the first day, according to LSAC best admissions practices, that a school can ask for a candidate to make a commitment after an aid offer.

http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... oodadm.pdf (Current as of May 2014)

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:21 pm

You guys know you can make multiple first deposits right? I know they're not free, but you're playing high stakes here. If you have to throw down $500 or $1,000 in first deposits for a potential $20k increase, or even a likely $5k increase, then do it without looking back. Run it right up to the second deposit deadline, and then see if you can get an extension. This is a game of chicken. Don't blink first.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:You guys know you can make multiple first deposits right? I know they're not free, but you're playing high stakes here. If you have to throw down $500 or $1,000 in first deposits for a potential $20k increase, or even a likely $5k increase, then do it without looking back. Run it right up to the second deposit deadline, and then see if you can get an extension. This is a game of chicken. Don't blink first.

You can't always do this. Some schools specifically forbid it.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:You guys know you can make multiple first deposits right? I know they're not free, but you're playing high stakes here. If you have to throw down $500 or $1,000 in first deposits for a potential $20k increase, or even a likely $5k increase, then do it without looking back. Run it right up to the second deposit deadline, and then see if you can get an extension. This is a game of chicken. Don't blink first.

Again: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/the-mu ... ot-happen/

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Skool wrote:
Moneytrees wrote:

Again: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/the-mu ... ot-happen/

That's all well and good, but some schools I've been accepted to this cycle have specifically stated that they will rescind my merit scholarship if I double deposit.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Which schools?

bob311

Postby bob311 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Notre dame for one

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:33 pm

Skool wrote:Which schools?

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
Skool wrote:Which schools?

someone less lazy than me should create a list

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:37 pm

bob311 wrote:Notre dame for one

notre lame

spencercross

Postby spencercross » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:40 pm

USC is doing this also:

• You may not hold seat deposits at other law schools. USC Law participates in the LSAC
Deposit Overlap program, which provides participating law schools with the names of admitted
students who have submitted seat deposits to other law schools. We require that since we are
making a financial commitment to you, that in return you make a final commitment to us. If
you elect to pay our tuition deposit you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you
have been admitted. Verification that this condition has been met will be determined when the
LSAC Deposit Overlap Report is released to law schools. If your name appears on the list, then
your scholarship offer will be revoked. If you remain on any waitlists at the time you place your
commitment deposit to USC Gould, it is not required that you withdraw from consideration
unless you wish to do so.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Shame list:

Notre Dame
USC

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:43 pm

hereisonehand wrote:Shame list:

Notre Dame
USC

See, you weren't too lazy after all.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:45 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
I hate to sound like I am living in the movie Battlefield Earth but you really lose leverage if you only deposit at one school, which the law schools see in their commitment overlap reports. There are no guarantee, of course, and you may cost yourself an extra deposit or two but if I were negotiating for scholarship money I would multi-deposit.

Spivey has spoken losers.

And no one can see it until May 15 anyway.
Last edited by MarkinKansasCity on Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:47 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
I hate to sound like I am living in the movie Battlefield Earth but you really lose leverage if you only deposit at one school, which the law schools see in their commitment overlap reports. There are no guarantee, of course, and you may cost yourself an extra deposit or two but if I were negotiating for scholarship money I would multi-deposit.

Spivey has spoken losers.

Spivey is probably right but it's worth getting clear in advance on which schools are going to be a stinker about it

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:48 pm

In Notre Dame's scholarship letter, it was basically written out "if you double deposit, f*** you."

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:In Notre Dame's scholarship letter, it was basically written out "if you double deposit, f*** you."

When is their first deposit due?

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:37 pm

spencercross wrote:

USC is doing this also:

• You may not hold seat deposits at other law schools. USC Law participates in the LSAC
Deposit Overlap program, which provides participating law schools with the names of admitted
students who have submitted seat deposits to other law schools. We require that since we are
making a financial commitment to you, that in return you make a final commitment to us. If
you elect to pay our tuition deposit you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you
have been admitted. Verification that this condition has been met will be determined when the
LSAC Deposit Overlap Report is released to law schools. If your name appears on the list, then
your scholarship offer will be revoked. If you remain on any waitlists at the time you place your
commitment deposit to USC Gould, it is not required that you withdraw from consideration

So if the overlap report is run May 15, then you conceivably have until May 14 to withdraw from the other school?

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:38 pm

Dipper wrote:So if the overlap report is run May 15, then you conceivably have until May 14 to withdraw from the other school?

yes but the whole point is to make 'm sweat, so you want them to see that you've double deposited

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:39 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
Dipper wrote:So if the overlap report is run May 15, then you conceivably have until May 14 to withdraw from the other school?

yes but the whole point is to make those fuckers sweat so you want them to see that you've double deposited

No don't do that lol, after that date they can revoke scholarships and stuff

Hand

Postby Hand » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:40 pm

don't listen to bunghole

make 'm sweat

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Dipper wrote:
spencercross wrote:

USC is doing this also:

So if the overlap report is run May 15, then you conceivably have until May 14 to withdraw from the other school?

Is it run May 15th or released then?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”