Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HRomanus

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby HRomanus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

thevuch wrote:this is my idea
i basically want to goto UGA, and im thinking about saying to her in this follow up email something to the effect of, "look i want to goto UGA, only thing keeping bama in the mix is the $, i assure you if UGA offers me something like 12500 a year on top of the instate equalizer with a reasonable academic stipulation i WILL come to UGA, you guys can draft up a binding agreement and give me a week to decide, i will sign that piece of paper and withdraw all my other applications and mail it back with the 1st and 2nd seat deposit"

Just to give you perspective, I have scholarship offers from UGA and Emory that make tuition + fees essentially equal. When I sent a negotiation request, UGA basically laughed it off because of cost of living in Atlanta is (hypothetically) more expensive. What are your numbers? I'd be very surprised if UGA went from no scholarship to $12,500 per year.

But if you really want to go to UGA, why not ask? It's not like they'll rescind your admission or current scholarship offer.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:55 am

HRomanus wrote:
thevuch wrote:this is my idea
i basically want to goto UGA, and im thinking about saying to her in this follow up email something to the effect of, "look i want to goto UGA, only thing keeping bama in the mix is the $, i assure you if UGA offers me something like 12500 a year on top of the instate equalizer with a reasonable academic stipulation i WILL come to UGA, you guys can draft up a binding agreement and give me a week to decide, i will sign that piece of paper and withdraw all my other applications and mail it back with the 1st and 2nd seat deposit"

Just to give you perspective, I have scholarship offers from UGA and Emory that make tuition + fees essentially equal. When I sent a negotiation request, UGA basically laughed it off because of cost of living in Atlanta is (hypothetically) more expensive. What are your numbers? I'd be very surprised if UGA went from no scholarship to $12,500 per year.

But if you really want to go to UGA, why not ask? It's not like they'll rescind your admission or current scholarship offer.

i have a scholarship from alabama that makes my tuition 5k a year. so for UGA to make the COA equal it would have to be 12500 a year.

my numbers are 165 3.3 so im right at the 25th gpa and above the 75th lsat. theyve given me the instate

HRomanus

Postby HRomanus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm

thevuch wrote:i have a scholarship from alabama that makes my tuition 5k a year. so for UGA to make the COA equal it would have to be 12500 a year.

my numbers are 165 3.3 so im right at the 25th gpa and above the 75th lsat. theyve given me the instate

Again, just for perspective for your negotiation: I am at 165/4.0 and received $7,500 and the in-state equalizer.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:01 pm

HRomanus wrote:
thevuch wrote:i have a scholarship from alabama that makes my tuition 5k a year. so for UGA to make the COA equal it would have to be 12500 a year.

Again, just for perspective for your negotiation: I am at 165/4.0 and received $7,500 and the in-state equalizer.

hmm. are you going to goto UGA? they may see you as a candidate that can get into a better school with that 4.0

im more right up their alley.

this helps though, they may laugh at me for saying look i want 12500

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm definitely going to deposit at multiple schools in the hopes it can pay off. My only issue is that I haven't narrowed down where I'm going to live/study/practice in, as my long-term girlfriend and I are moving together. She can do her job in NYC, the Bay Area, and LA-area, so I'm looking at two schools in NYC, one in Bay Area, and two in LA.

I was considering just picking my preferred school in each city (so three schools in total), but how likely are these schools to negotiate with me if I haven't deposited at one of their direct competitors? I.E. Will School A in New York care that I've deposited at School B in Los Angeles and School C in San Francisco?

Or should I just bite the bullet and deposit and both schools in New York and both schools in Los Angeles? Any insight would be greatly helpful! :D

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:52 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:I'm definitely going to deposit at multiple schools in the hopes it can pay off. My only issue is that I haven't narrowed down where I'm going to live/study/practice in, as my long-term girlfriend and I are moving together. She can do her job in NYC, the Bay Area, and LA-area, so I'm looking at two schools in NYC, one in Bay Area, and two in LA.

I was considering just picking my preferred school in each city (so three schools in total), but how likely are these schools to negotiate with me if I haven't deposited at one of their direct competitors? I.E. Will School A in New York care that I've deposited at School B in Los Angeles and School C in San Francisco?

Or should I just bite the bullet and deposit and both schools in New York and both schools in Los Angeles? Any insight would be greatly helpful! :D

Outside the very, very highest ranked schools, my understanding is that most schools really only consider schools in their area as "competing" with them. Which makes sense - they want the best they can get among applicants who intend to enter the market they want their students placed in. A market they don't compete to place grads in isn't as huge a concern for them. I would pick the cities you want most and deposit at 2 schools in each to try to negotiate with, and maybe consider which cities are most likely to have two schools compete fiercely when selecting the cities. So if you know the 2 schools in NY battle each other harder than the 2 in the Bay Area, choose NY.

aldiddy

Postby aldiddy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Maybe I'm being naive, but the following scares me from having multiple deposits:

"If you submit your tuition deposit to Duke, you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted."

What if I don't?

NoDayButToday

Postby NoDayButToday » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

HRomanus

Postby HRomanus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:52 pm

aldiddy wrote:Maybe I'm being naive, but the following scares me from having multiple deposits:

"If you submit your tuition deposit to Duke, you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted."

What if I don't?

If a school states that so explicitly, I would follow it. When I submitted my first deposit to Emory Law there wasn't any comparable language, so I've kept other applications active.

underwood15

Postby underwood15 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:54 pm

I am deciding between two peer schools that gave me the exact same amount of money. I want to negotiate for more $, but how would i go about asking for more??

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Nah, I think you're thinking too much into this. I'm sure they're just verifying; from my understanding of and interaction with most admissions departments, they wouldn't have time do stuff like this even if they wanted to, and the risk of any collusion going public would far outweigh any (likely meager) benefits.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:05 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:Why do schools ask for copies of the scholarship letters? Do you think the schools communicate with each other? I understand a need to verify that a student is honest in sharing the scholarship offers s/he has, but is that all a school would do? Would one financial aid office call another and say "this student is negotiating with us; are they negotiating with you too?"

I don't know why but I was kind of wary of this.

Because higher ed is just a field where everything having to do with budget has to be recorded and kept to justify decisions later when they are reviewed. It's pretty standard. If they're going to increase your scholarship, they have to be prepared for a VP to review that increase at a later date. I'm married to someone in higher ed and he spends (wastes) more valuable time justifying simple decisions he should just be trusted to make than he does utilizing the skills that helped him land his job.

BankruptMe

Postby BankruptMe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Negotiation tried. If neither bites, I really dont care; at this point I am willing to wait till next year anyway.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:48 pm

got about a 20% in tuition increase after first request. 1st seat deposit is may 1st, should i ask for more before that day or wait until after it to ask for more between the 1st and second seat deposit?

W$RKliveWELL

Postby W$RKliveWELL » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:53 pm

thevuch wrote:got about a 20% in tuition increase after first request. 1st seat deposit is may 1st, should i ask for more before that day or wait until after it to ask for more between the 1st and second seat deposit?

i like your style. i did the same. im waiting until after 1st deposit for round 2 though. By then i figured more $$ would have freed up

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:50 am

W$RKliveWELL wrote:
thevuch wrote:got about a 20% in tuition increase after first request. 1st seat deposit is may 1st, should i ask for more before that day or wait until after it to ask for more between the 1st and second seat deposit?

i like your style. i did the same. im waiting until after 1st deposit for round 2 though. By then i figured more $$ would have freed up

How long after the deposit are you going to wait? I'm going to ask for more $$$ and I wasn't sure how long to wait after the deposit.

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:21 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote:
W$RKliveWELL wrote:

How long after the deposit are you going to wait? I'm going to ask for more $$$ and I wasn't sure how long to wait after the deposit.

my plan was maybe a day or two after. while the money is all there

CoffeeIsLife

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 am

thevuch wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:
W$RKliveWELL wrote:

my plan was maybe a day or two after. while the money is all there

What would be a good way to approach it in email? As in what to say

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:52 am

im just gonna say something like look im super interested in your school for X and X, i really wanna goto your school but the offer i have from school B where ive also put my deposit down is still superior. shaky legal market, im a broke college student, can you help me out and make my decision easier to come to your school cause its really where i wanna be by reassessing my scholly. much love and thanks. hugs and kisses.

something like that i imagine

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:19 pm

thevuch wrote:im just gonna say something like look im super interested in your school for X and X, i really wanna goto your school but the offer i have from school B where ive also put my deposit down is still superior. shaky legal market, im a broke college student, can you help me out and make my decision easier to come to your school cause its really where i wanna be by reassessing my scholly. much love and thanks. hugs and kisses.

something like that i imagine

Reading this in Ron Burgundy's voice is pre' fun.

underwood15

Postby underwood15 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:39 pm

I'm in a dilemma. One T-20 school offered me $16,000 per year, and its peer school offered me $17,000. I got School A to match $17,000. I then asked School B for an increase, and they went up $1,000/per year. Should I keep going back and forth? This seems like it will drag on forever...

Also, I really can't decide between the two, which is making things harder.

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:51 pm

underwood15 wrote:I'm in a dilemma. One T-20 school offered me $16,000 per year, and its peer school offered me $17,000. I got School A to match $17,000. I then asked School B for an increase, and they went up $1,000/per year. Should I keep going back and forth? This seems like it will drag on forever...

Also, I really can't decide between the two, which is making things harder.

Give School A a specific number you want to hit and feel is appropriate, and explain to them why it is. Then, watch if they do or not, and see if School B will as well. That's better than just the one-upmanship back and forth.

underwood15

Postby underwood15 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks. Is negotiating with schools twice before the deposit deadline passe? Deposits are due on Tuesday, and I really dont want the financial aid offices to hate me!

thevuch

Postby thevuch » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 pm

underwood15 wrote:Thanks. Is negotiating with schools twice before the deposit deadline passe? Deposits are due on Tuesday, and I really dont want the financial aid offices to hate me!

i did it, i got an initial increase, and shot down the second time but was told to ask again after the first deposit deadline

after you enroll you cant negotiate shit man. now is the time. they need them LSATs. law schools run on law students. and law schools attract law students by high rankings. high rankings are acquired by strong numbers. we embody the strong numbers. ask bro. just be polite and respectful and itll be cool. worst thing they can say is no. ive read all 60 something pages of this thread and the other merit aid thread in the tls content competition forum as well and numerous scholarship negotiation threads in the financial aid forum and i have not once seen an instance where a school rescinded an offer or lowered a scholarship offer.

if they did something like that i'd go straight to abovethelaw and it would be a shit storm

DerekZoolander

Postby DerekZoolander » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:29 pm

thevuch wrote:
underwood15 wrote:Thanks. Is negotiating with schools twice before the deposit deadline passe? Deposits are due on Tuesday, and I really dont want the financial aid offices to hate me!

i did it, i got an initial increase, and shot down the second time but was told to ask again after the first deposit deadline

after you enroll you cant negotiate shit man. now is the time. they need them LSATs. law schools run on law students. and law schools attract law students by high rankings. high rankings are acquired by strong numbers. we embody the strong numbers. ask bro. just be polite and respectful and itll be cool. worst thing they can say is no. ive read all 60 something pages of this thread and the other merit aid thread in the tls content competition forum as well and numerous scholarship negotiation threads in the financial aid forum and i have not once seen an instance where a school rescinded an offer or lowered a scholarship offer.

if they did something like that i'd go straight to abovethelaw and it would be a shit storm

There's no incentive for them to rescind an offer, unless you're a royal douche and they realize they don't want your presence there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”