Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ga208

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ga208 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:20 pm

usually when you defer they require that you not reapply elsewhere - so I can't see you would have much luck saying a) you reapplied elsewhere, and b) b/c of that you want more money from them.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:27 pm

ga208 wrote:usually when you defer they require that you not reapply elsewhere - so I can't see you would have much luck saying a) you reapplied elsewhere, and b) b/c of that you want more money from them.

Last edited by yossarian on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theonerd

Postby theonerd » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:33 pm

yossarian71 wrote:
ga208 wrote:usually when you defer they require that you not reapply elsewhere - so I can't see you would have much luck saying a) you reapplied elsewhere, and b) b/c of that you want more money from them.

Yeah. That's what I though. Sorry, should have been clear. WHen I said stipulations I didn't mean for maintenance . I mean I explicitly checked to see if I could apply elsewhere. And, I've negotiated with them once already. They've been very accommodating, and I've been very explicit with them about what I'm doing this cycle. I'd like to try, I just can't think of a tactful way to do so.

You may have read this already, but I found it very helpful:
http://lawschooladvice.com/guides/negot ... olarships/

If it was me, I might use the approach of...
1. I want to go to your school.
2. Finances are tough.
3. Discuss offers from other comparable schools that make this a tough decision.
4. Your school has worked with me in the past. I am soooo grateful for the offer on the table.
5. I just want to make sure I have your final offer before I make my final decision.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 pm

theonerd wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

Yeah. That's what I though. Sorry, should have been clear. WHen I said stipulations I didn't mean for maintenance . I mean I explicitly checked to see if I could apply elsewhere. And, I've negotiated with them once already. They've been very accommodating, and I've been very explicit with them about what I'm doing this cycle. I'd like to try, I just can't think of a tactful way to do so.

You may have read this already, but I found it very helpful:
http://lawschooladvice.com/guides/negot ... olarships/

If it was me, I might use the approach of...
1. I want to go to your school.
2. Finances are tough.
3. Discuss offers from other comparable schools that make this a tough decision.
4. Your school has worked with me in the past. I am soooo grateful for the offer on the table.
5. I just want to make sure I have your final offer before I make my final decision.

Last edited by yossarian on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLUERUFiO

Postby BLUERUFiO » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:22 pm

La Cosa Nostra wrote:Is the consensus that one should wait closer to the deposit deadline to negotiate?

Yes. http://lawyerwrit.org/its-too-soon-for- ... otiations/

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:47 pm

omzster67 wrote:is it possible to play acceptance to a T6 to swing a scholarship at one of the lower T14's?

It's possible. The wording of your letter is a little trickier with $0 from the T6, but I know it does work sometimes.

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating with BC? It's my top choice right now and I am anticipating having to negotiate with them in the near future.

Also, is it best practice to state actual dollar amounts of rival scholarship offers when negotiating? In my opening salvo I want to say something like "I have been fortunate enough to receive substantial scholarship offers from several top tier universities including X, Y, Z" (all the schools are higher ranked). Should I include the numbers right off the bat? Or just list the schools and hold the numbers in reserve for a later email? I've also read that it's advisable to list a total COA figure that would make attending the school in question realistic, like "my total cost of attendance would need to be below $50,000 in order for attending ____ to be financially realistic." Is this credited?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

canes14

Postby canes14 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but has anyone had any success using a Ruby to negotiate for money at Columbia? Is it best to wait until an initial offer is made (no Hamilton or Butler) or to send a letter before hearing anything?

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

Postby 112 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:44 pm

can I negotiate Michigan with vandy?

samoby

Postby samoby » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:39 pm

112 wrote:can I negotiate Michigan with vandy?

I remember reading somewhere that last year someone negotiated Michigan with UCLA, and UCLA was #15 last year (although maybe they negotiated after the new rankings came out and UCLA had dropped to # 17). Since Vandy is #15 this year, I would guess you could give it a shot?

TheHarveySpecter

Postby TheHarveySpecter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Suffolk Law question. Has anyone spoken with Dean Sims before regarding scholarships and financial aid? I was asked to set up a phone meeting with her in response to a negotiation letter I wrote.

couchpizza

Postby couchpizza » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm

General question. Anyone know a timeframe or how long it takes before schools answer negotiation requests? I just started negotiating so it would be awesome to know what the expected amount of time would be.

eguard

Postby eguard » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:07 pm

delete
Last edited by eguard on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:02 pm

I have my initial offers, but I was wondering if I should wait until after attending the various ASWs to provide a better context in the email. It would leave about 1-2 weeks until seat deposit deadline, so the timeline seems tight.

Great thread, great info, and congrats to all that have had success.

OUT.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 pm

Thoughts on a full from WUSTL for negotiating with BU (90k)? Or UVA (60K) against the BU offer? Would it be better to mention one or the other, or each offer when contacting BU?

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm

Letter in the body of the email or as an attached .pdf?

iskim88

Postby iskim88 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Tag

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 am

yossarian71 wrote:Letter in the body of the email or as an attached .pdf?

From a different school? I would say pdf

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am

JustHawkin wrote:

I meant the actual negotiation letter. Are people really attaching other offers? That seems weird. Like too eager to prove you're not a liar.
Last edited by yossarian on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheHarveySpecter

Postby TheHarveySpecter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:00 am

yossarian71 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

I meant the actual negotiation letter. Are people really attaching other offers? That seems weird. Like too eager to prove your not a liar.

In general, yes.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:28 am

yossarian71 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:

I meant the actual negotiation letter. Are people really attaching other offers? That seems weird. Like too eager to prove you're not a liar.

Chicago-Kent asked me to send them other letters. So straight up some schools want proof. Weird and distrusting of them, but I obliged (and got no extra $$$ out of it).

Estreetshuffler

Postby Estreetshuffler » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating with UCLA? Would higher offers from USC or Minnesota or both be appropriate to mention? Thanks guys...

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Is it credited to throw out all your offers in the first email, or should I save some as additional bargaining chips for if they don't budge?

Marquis

Postby Marquis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:29 pm

drawstring wrote:Is it credited to throw out all your offers in the first email, or should I save some as additional bargaining chips for if they don't budge?

+1

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:34 pm

drawstring wrote:Is it credited to throw out all your offers in the first email, or should I save some as additional bargaining chips for if they don't budge?

I saw throw them all out. Once they offer you something, send that new offer to the other options, then back, etc. etc.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”