Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
szb5058
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby szb5058 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Is it too soon to start negotiating? Should we wait until March? (Not sure if anyone knows...)


It's only too soon if you don't have enough ammunition to start firing. If you have leverage...use it. But if you're waiting on some schools that you think may be able to give you some more, you may be better off waiting.

User avatar
zippernicus
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby zippernicus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Does anyone have experience with a scholarship to a state school where you are considered OOS but will probably be able to get in-state tuition (in my case, because of a spouse). Would the scholarship offer stay the same or be reduced? Or is it likely to be different school to school?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 16764
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sublime » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:25 pm

..

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2985
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Just an update, I emailed Loyola Chicago, DePaul and Chicago-Kent today asking for more $$$.

Loyola Chicago has been AWESOME about communication and responding to my questions. They answered in a matter of minutes with a very nice email, unfortunately rejecting my request to raise the scholarship money. They brought up points about how their tuition isn't raised as much as other peer schools in the area and some intangible benefits of choosing them, etc.

One thing: It looked like a form email. My name was in a different color and font so I think they have a template of what they should say perhaps. There was an additional sentence in the middle that I think was customized but other than that I think it was a form email.

Either way, hopefully this works out with one of my schools...

Psy123
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Psy123 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:31 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Just an update, I emailed Loyola Chicago, DePaul and Chicago-Kent today asking for more $$$.

Loyola Chicago has been AWESOME about communication and responding to my questions. They answered in a matter of minutes with a very nice email, unfortunately rejecting my request to raise the scholarship money. They brought up points about how their tuition isn't raised as much as other peer schools in the area and some intangible benefits of choosing them, etc.

One thing: It looked like a form email. My name was in a different color and font so I think they have a template of what they should say perhaps. There was an additional sentence in the middle that I think was customized but other than that I think it was a form email.

Either way, hopefully this works out with one of my schools...


Loyola is known to not negotiate, thats exactly what I experienced last year, and didnt even attempt to this year.

kartelite
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby kartelite » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Maybe a bit off-topic, but has anyone had success negotiating an RA position (with an accompanying living stipend)?

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth as I've been offered a full scholarship, but this would also potentially give me an "in" to collaborate with professors. I had a fellowship and TA position in previous grad programs that provided a decent stipend, but it seems a bit unusual for law schools to do that.

User avatar
angels2fly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby angels2fly » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 pm

kartelite wrote:Maybe a bit off-topic, but has anyone had success negotiating an RA position (with an accompanying living stipend)?

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth as I've been offered a full scholarship, but this would also potentially give me an "in" to collaborate with professors. I had a fellowship and TA position in previous grad programs that provided a decent stipend, but it seems a bit unusual for law schools to do that.


W&M does something like this

kartelite
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby kartelite » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 pm

angels2fly wrote:
kartelite wrote:Maybe a bit off-topic, but has anyone had success negotiating an RA position (with an accompanying living stipend)?

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth as I've been offered a full scholarship, but this would also potentially give me an "in" to collaborate with professors. I had a fellowship and TA position in previous grad programs that provided a decent stipend, but it seems a bit unusual for law schools to do that.


W&M does something like this


Not applying there (my alma mater actually), but good to know that they at least exist!

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 16764
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sublime » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:07 pm

..

metalgeek
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby metalgeek » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Question for anyone: I am on the waitlist for my top choice school. I have visited them and I feel good about retaking the LSAT in June to try to get admission. I have another school that I wouldn't mind attending that is close to home. This school has offered a scholarship. I'm going to ask if they will consider a June LSAT for scholarship if I pay the deposits that are due before the test. I am guessing that they will discourage me from taking it, knowing that I am likely taking it to get off another school's waitlist (I could be wrong on that assumption). If they say no to considering my new LSAT, I would probably try to negotiate the scholarship right then. Is that unethical/rude if I try to negotiate for a better scholarship when I am going to take the LSAT later to get into another school?

User avatar
Power_of_Facing
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Power_of_Facing » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:21 pm

metalgeek wrote:Question for anyone: I am on the waitlist for my top choice school. I have visited them and I feel good about retaking the LSAT in June to try to get admission. I have another school that I wouldn't mind attending that is close to home. This school has offered a scholarship. I'm going to ask if they will consider a June LSAT for scholarship if I pay the deposits that are due before the test. I am guessing that they will discourage me from taking it, knowing that I am likely taking it to get off another school's waitlist (I could be wrong on that assumption). If they say no to considering my new LSAT, I would probably try to negotiate the scholarship right then. Is that unethical/rude if I try to negotiate for a better scholarship when I am going to take the LSAT later to get into another school?


No, this is not rude/unethical at all. The debt burden attendant to law school matriculation, particularly in this economy, represents a significant financial risk, so you owe it yourself to secure the best possible outcome you can (within the bounds of the good JD admissions practices as outlined by the LSAC [http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/publications-(lsac-resources)/statementofgoodadm.pdf]). As long as you're compliant with those rules, you should only be concerned with being perceived as "rude" insofar as it could hamper your ability to achieve your professional goals. Law schools are about their rankings and their bottom lines first and foremost -- and we, as applicants, don't owe them our allegiance. At least not IMHO.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2985
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am

Just an FYI to others, Chicago-Kent forwarded my email on to Admissions (specifically Ms. Karla Davis). So send it there instead of Financial Aid.
This happened yesterday so I am hoping that them not having responded yet means they are looking into it, rather than a flat out rejection like Loyola did...
We will see.

RLowry23
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RLowry23 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 am

leigh912198972 wrote:Just an FYI to others, Chicago-Kent forwarded my email on to Admissions (specifically Ms. Karla Davis). So send it there instead of Financial Aid.
This happened yesterday so I am hoping that them not having responded yet means they are looking into it, rather than a flat out rejection like Loyola did...
We will see.


If you have a 163, 3.5 GPA or above I am sure that they are just going to tell you to apply to the Chicago Kent Honor's Scholar program (applications are due Feb. 21st, I believe). After that deadline passes, I would imagine they would be more milling to negotiate... I also want to contact them to raise my offer (hopefully to full tuition), but am gonna wait until that deadline passes or I might just apply.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2985
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks for that!

Also, DePaul responded saying the award they're offering me is already the highest they give (30K per year). Oh well.

User avatar
LyricsToLitigation
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby LyricsToLitigation » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:36 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Thanks for that!

Also, DePaul responded saying the award they're offering me is already the highest they give (30K per year). Oh well.


a lot of schools say this... then you check the 509 aba and it has numbers for "full tuition" and "more than full tuition" - so i feel like sometimes the schools just BS the 0L's to get them out of their hair lol

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2985
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Chicago-Kent asked for documentation on other offers and I need some advice on how to explain this scenario...

The two that are competing in my mind are CK and Loyola.
Loyola offered $27k and I am confident I have a shot at a $2.5k scholarship as well.
Loyola's tuition is cheaper by about $2.5k AND historically have had smaller tuition increases than CK.

CK offered $30k per year and they are ranked higher than Loyola.

I am pretty much considering the amount offered to be the same and now just worried about those tuition increases. It may not sound like much, but every little bit counts when it comes to debt.

Any advice on how to explain this all without sounding like I'm being trivial?

Psy123
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Psy123 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

leigh912198972 wrote:Chicago-Kent asked for documentation on other offers and I need some advice on how to explain this scenario...

The two that are competing in my mind are CK and Loyola.
Loyola offered $27k and I am confident I have a shot at a $2.5k scholarship as well.
Loyola's tuition is cheaper by about $2.5k AND historically have had smaller tuition increases than CK.

CK offered $30k per year and they are ranked higher than Loyola.

I am pretty much considering the amount offered to be the same and now just worried about those tuition increases. It may not sound like much, but every little bit counts when it comes to debt.

Any advice on how to explain this all without sounding like I'm being trivial?


Im curious, why didn't you apply to Illinois? They have been giving out some good money this year, at the very least it could help with negotiating.

As far as negotiating for more money from Chicago Kent tell them exactly what you said, explain that the cost will come down to the same from each school and that you are looking for a bit more to help make the decision of where to attend a bit easier. You could also throw at them the 30K from DePaul since that matches CK's amount. Basically you just need explain how important the overall cost is to you and that basically the school who offers the best money will likely get your enrollment.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2985
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:56 am

Psy123 wrote:Im curious, why didn't you apply to Illinois? They have been giving out some good money this year, at the very least it could help with negotiating.

As far as negotiating for more money from Chicago Kent tell them exactly what you said, explain that the cost will come down to the same from each school and that you are looking for a bit more to help make the decision of where to attend a bit easier. You could also throw at them the 30K from DePaul since that matches CK's amount. Basically you just need explain how important the overall cost is to you and that basically the school who offers the best money will likely get your enrollment.



Thanks for the advice!
I did not apply to Illinois because my brother and sister are in Chicago and I do not want to leave the city. For me, at this age and place in my life, location is extremely important. And, luckily, there are some great schools in this location.
I guess I could have applied just to get $$$ to bargain with, but I feel that's kinda dishonest since I have no intention of going there. I did apply to Vandy on a whim that if I got accepted (slim chance), I could possibly convince myself to move to Nashville, but as time goes on I know that won't happen.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:37 am

Has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships from the University of Denver?

User avatar
zippernicus
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:35 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby zippernicus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:45 am

sublime wrote:
zippernicus wrote:Does anyone have experience with a scholarship to a state school where you are considered OOS but will probably be able to get in-state tuition (in my case, because of a spouse). Would the scholarship offer stay the same or be reduced? Or is it likely to be different school to school?



Email the admissions office.


Thanks for your advice - I went ahead and emailed about it and it went well :mrgreen:

User avatar
berndie90
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby berndie90 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:38 am

I'm interested if anyone has tried the "final offer" email discussed on that website linked above. For those who didn't see it, the site suggests that even after your top choice provides you a match of whatever scholarship you asked for, you should reach out one more time to make sure that it's their "final offer" a week or two ahead of the deadline. Has anyone tried his successfully? Seems like it's pushing it a bit to me and I would feel uncomfortable doing it, but I suppose, what is there to lose?

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 775
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby buddyt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm

berndie90 wrote:I'm interested if anyone has tried the "final offer" email discussed on that website linked above. For those who didn't see it, the site suggests that even after your top choice provides you a match of whatever scholarship you asked for, you should reach out one more time to make sure that it's their "final offer" a week or two ahead of the deadline. Has anyone tried his successfully? Seems like it's pushing it a bit to me and I would feel uncomfortable doing it, but I suppose, what is there to lose?

Do it. I told my school how much I needed (which was almost full-ride but not quite), ended up getting it in the end, but based on others' negotiations I'm certain there was more money I left on the table that I could've easily got if I had been more aggressive.

User avatar
szb5058
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby szb5058 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:33 pm

buddyt wrote:
berndie90 wrote:I'm interested if anyone has tried the "final offer" email discussed on that website linked above. For those who didn't see it, the site suggests that even after your top choice provides you a match of whatever scholarship you asked for, you should reach out one more time to make sure that it's their "final offer" a week or two ahead of the deadline. Has anyone tried his successfully? Seems like it's pushing it a bit to me and I would feel uncomfortable doing it, but I suppose, what is there to lose?

Do it. I told my school how much I needed (which was almost full-ride but not quite), ended up getting it in the end, but based on others' negotiations I'm certain there was more money I left on the table that I could've easily got if I had been more aggressive.


I assume you're referring to http://lawschooladvice.com/guides/negot ... olarships/

I mean it's obviously not a mandatory step, but its just another weapon in your arsenal if you want to try it out. I used this step aggressively and it worked pretty well. I asked for one number (which was pretty high compared to the previous offer) but instead they offered me a slightly lower one and emphatically expressed they still hope I choose their school. I think the whole point is that the worst that can happen is they say, "No, but please still come to our school. We would loveeee to have your money."

Times are tough for law schools. Less graduates are getting good jobs. Prospective students realize this, so less are applying. And the ones who have options are opting out and going into other fields. Law schools need to try their best to stay afloat by attracting the best and brightest to move up in the coveted law school rankings. You are a wanted commodity. Leverage your skills. Get a better deal!

kobe1020
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:43 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby kobe1020 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:54 am

i understand the consensus here is to use leverage, e.g. a bigger scholarship from a peer school, an acceptance from a better school etc. But has anyone tried just go ask for scholarship raise straight up? if so, what are your reasoning structures besides telling them hey i'm a poor student? thanks everyone !!

Merbear129
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Merbear129 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 am

Has anyone included an additional letter of rec. with their requests? My boss is an alum of the school I am looking to request more money from and would be more than willing to write me a glowing rec. I figure it won't hurt, but I'm not sure if I should have him submit it to LSAC or send it directly to the school....




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests