Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JXander

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:10 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
JXander wrote:Need some help. I have tried negotiating with this one school. I have sent them two emails asking for a raise in a shockingly small scholarship. Their response has both times been "we don't have the funds available..." I am not sure how else to approach this, but I really think I can squeeze a little more out of them before the second deposit deadline. I am honestly considering sending a "threat" out indicating that I will not be able to pay the deposit if I do not receive any more of a raise (which would not be a bluff).

I am willing to give more details on the school and amount offered via PM.

It definitely seems like you can get more out of them. Schools usually send out five or six denial letters before they're truly serious. A threat seems like the right call here. I would make the threat more substantial than a non-deposit though. Maybe you could kidnap the firstborn of an adcomm member or send them an envelope full of anthrax.

Thanks, Mal.

Oh, and have you not heard? Apparently, ricin is the new thing. :wink:

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 pm

JXander wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:
JXander wrote:Need some help. I have tried negotiating with this one school. I have sent them two emails asking for a raise in a shockingly small scholarship. Their response has both times been "we don't have the funds available..." I am not sure how else to approach this, but I really think I can squeeze a little more out of them before the second deposit deadline. I am honestly considering sending a "threat" out indicating that I will not be able to pay the deposit if I do not receive any more of a raise (which would not be a bluff).

I am willing to give more details on the school and amount offered via PM.

It definitely seems like you can get more out of them. Schools usually send out five or six denial letters before they're truly serious. A threat seems like the right call here. I would make the threat more substantial than a non-deposit though. Maybe you could kidnap the firstborn of an adcomm member or send them an envelope full of anthrax.

Thanks, Mal.

Oh, and have you not heard? Apparently, ricin is the new thing. :wink:

do some research about school previous admission thread, if nobody ever successfully negotiated, then your chance is very slim

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Has anyone had any experience asking for more money after depositing. I've deposited at my top choice and am very comfortable with my choice. I initially was given just an equalizer scholarship, but after asking for more aid was given a small scholarship.

The school I've deposited at is UNSWR 30s

Since depositing, I've been given an unsolicited increase in $$$ from a school that is ranked 24-30 putting the scholarship at 90k/3 YRS. Even with the increased money, my preference is to go to the school I've deposited at, but I'd like to get more money out of them. Do I have any possibility of doing so... I'm afraid of seeming ungrateful since they have already increased my aid once, and I've already committed. How would I even phrase such a request?

callipygian

Postby callipygian » Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 pm

ArchieHicox wrote:How would I even phrase such a request?

+1

whsy

Postby whsy » Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

ArchieHicox wrote:Has anyone had any experience asking for more money after depositing. I've deposited at my top choice and am very comfortable with my choice. I initially was given just an equalizer scholarship, but after asking for more aid was given a small scholarship.

The school I've deposited at is UNSWR 30s

Since depositing, I've been given an unsolicited increase in $$$ from a school that is ranked 24-30 putting the scholarship at 90k/3 YRS. Even with the increased money, my preference is to go to the school I've deposited at, but I'd like to get more money out of them. Do I have any possibility of doing so... I'm afraid of seeming ungrateful since they have already increased my aid once, and I've already committed. How would I even phrase such a request?

Just tell them exactly that, recently school xxx automatically increased your money to 90k, because of that, you are now giving the other school some more consideration, but you like the school you deposited better because of whatever reason, but $$ is also a big factor. can you be considered for additional $.

It's not ungrateful, money is a big concern for a lot of people, and most schools don't think anything of these requests. I tried it over and over witht he same schools, got shot down a few times, and it worked a few times too. The worst they can say is no.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

I've been given a deposit deadline extension of about a week with a school (A) that had initially denied my request for more money. I don't know how to go about politely asking them for a second look at my request. Though my state school (B) doubled my initial scholarship after I asked school A for an increase. The office is slow, so would emailing them first thing tomorrow morning be in poor form, given that they just gave me an extension the day before? It took them a week and a half to process my extension request, so I want to be somewhat aggressive.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:41 pm

whsy wrote: The worst they can say is no.

This sums up everything one needs to know out of this thread. All the talk of different negotiation strategies is really just baloney. At the end of the day, you ask a school for money (once or multiple times until you get a couple of no's), and use whatever offers you currently have to help negotiate. If a school wants you, they will increase. If not, they will make up some excuse about not having any money.

I had successful negotiations this cycle, and unsuccessful ones. That's usually the case for most people. And people over-think things when they are trying to go about wording their requests. Keep it short, to the point, and polite. Simple.

/end thread.

My .02 anyways.

parkys77

Postby parkys77 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 am

I also have a similar question about asking for more money after depositing.
Originally, I got 10k/year scholarship from Georgetown and the school raised the amount to 20k/year after I asked them for more aid. I put my first deposit after that.
I have also been admitted to Cornell. As tuition for Cornell is really expensive, I really hoped to get some decent amount. But Cornell initially gave me 0, and after my request for reconsideration, they decided to give me 7k/year.
After Cornell told me that they have no fund available, I was pretty much set on going to Georgetown and hoping to use the Cornell's offer after reconsideration to negotiate with Georgetown further.
I was also afraid of seeming ungrateful as they increased my aid already but decided to try it anyway.
But now that Cornell came back to me with only 7k/year, I am not sure whether I can still use this aid as a leverage in negotiating with Georgetown. :(
Any suggestion or advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 am

parkys77 wrote:I also have a similar question about asking for more money after depositing.
Originally, I got 10k/year scholarship from Georgetown and the school raised the amount to 20k/year after I asked them for more aid. I put my first deposit after that.
I have also been admitted to Cornell. As tuition for Cornell is really expensive, I really hoped to get some decent amount. But Cornell initially gave me 0, and after my request for reconsideration, they decided to give me 7k/year.
After Cornell told me that they have no fund available, I was pretty much set on going to Georgetown and hoping to use the Cornell's offer after reconsideration to negotiate with Georgetown further.
I was also afraid of seeming ungrateful as they increased my aid already but decided to try it anyway.
But now that Cornell came back to me with only 7k/year, I am not sure whether I can still use this aid as a leverage in negotiating with Georgetown. :(

The "negotiating with Georgetown rankings" are as follows:

1. T10 $ (This is almost always matched or better.)
2 T10 acceptance/DNC $ or better (This often gets you $, if they want you.)
3. DNC acceptance/T20 $ or better (This sometimes gets you $, but usually not.)
4. T20 acceptance (This almost never gets someone money).

You're at basically number 3, because Cornell's scholly is closer to bupkis than Georgetown's offer. Despite what some TLS posters will deny to their dying day, Georgetown will view Cornell as a peer school. Thus, you will have almost no negotiating strength with $21k at Cornell when they've already offered you $60k. The odds of them budging are probably close to nil, BUT...

...as everyone who has ever done this will tell you, it never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say no, and no one has ever found themselves the worse for wear by asking for no-strings-attached money. Give it a go.

parkys77

Postby parkys77 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:19 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
parkys77 wrote:I also have a similar question about asking for more money after depositing.

The "negotiating with Georgetown rankings" are as follows:

1. T10 $ (This is almost always matched or better.)
2 T10 acceptance/DNC $ or better (This often gets you $, if they want you.)
3. DNC acceptance/T20 $ or better (This sometimes gets you $, but usually not.)
4. T20 acceptance (This almost never gets someone money).

You're at basically number 3, because Cornell's scholly is closer to bupkis than Georgetown's offer. Despite what some TLS posters will deny to their dying day, Georgetown will view Cornell as a peer school. Thus, you will have almost no negotiating strength with $21k at Cornell when they've already offered you $60k. The odds of them budging are probably close to nil, BUT...

...as everyone who has ever done this will tell you, it never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say no, and no one has ever found themselves the worse for wear by asking for no-strings-attached money. Give it a go.

Thank you so much for the advice! I really hoped that Cornell would at least match GT's scholly but oh well...
I will just ask Georgetown again. Thank you!

perplexedconfused

Postby perplexedconfused » Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Has anyone had any success asking for more money without any other offers? Any meaning, I did not apply to any other schools (stupid - I know). However, other schools are still accepting applications, and I am confident I would be accepted at the other state school that is highly competitive with the school in which I was admitted. Can I phrase my request with something stating that I have "other options" when considering law school? Even if I do not have any at this time? I would not say anything regarding money, etc. as I obviously do not have any other offers.

rambleon65

Postby rambleon65 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:32 am

perplexedconfused wrote:Has anyone had any success asking for more money without any other offers? Any meaning, I did not apply to any other schools (stupid - I know). However, other schools are still accepting applications, and I am confident I would be accepted at the other state school that is highly competitive with the school in which I was admitted. Can I phrase my request with something stating that I have "other options" when considering law school? Even if I do not have any at this time? I would not say anything regarding money, etc. as I obviously do not have any other offers.

It's pretty late the cycle. It'd be awfully hard to get a high enough amount from a "peer" school that'll give you much leverage.

Your best bet is to explain that although you'd love to attend X, financial concerns are making you rethink the whole cycle and that you are contemplating reapplying next cycle in hopes for more financial assistance. For yield protection, they might throw more money at you--it's worth a shot. Worst that could happen is "sorry, no." also which schools are we talking about??

Good luck!!

OnTheRise

Postby OnTheRise » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:09 am

I was able to negotiate with my school with relative ease. I was initially offered nothing but had offers from many other schools and used them to get my top choice to negotiate. Once they raised their offer I went to the other schools and did the same thing. I repeated this process until my top choice went from not offering me anything to full instate tuition.

ls23

Postby ls23 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:13 am

So I just got accepted off the waitlist for a T-20 with 25K/year, but I am currently deposited with a peer school that is also giving me 25K/year after two rounds of negotiations (started at 20K/year). Can I still negotiate with the school I am deposited at for an increase or does it get annoying for the school to have to renegotiate this late in the cycle after already having negotiated previously? Any help would be great, thanks!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:04 am

ls23 wrote:Can I still negotiate with the school I am deposited at for an increase or does it get annoying for the school to have to renegotiate this late in the cycle after already having negotiated previously?

Yes.

But seriously, nothing to lose by trying.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Anyone have any advice/input on negotiating with a Pacific Northwest T30? I was recently admitted off the WL with 30k total. Have 65k from a school ranked 1 spot below, but nothing else to show from competitors. Am I doomed?

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:27 pm

any chance at asking for money off the WL at a lower T14 when you have in essence full rides at several schools ranked 17-25

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 pm

unclepete wrote:Anyone have any advice/input on negotiating with a Pacific Northwest T30? I was recently admitted off the WL with 30k total. Have 65k from a school ranked 1 spot below, but nothing else to show from competitors. Am I doomed?

65k from a school ranked ONE SPOT BELOW isn't competitive? Ask them to match. Your case is pretty clear.

dstars823 wrote:any chance at asking for money off the WL at a lower T14 when you have in essence full rides at several schools ranked 17-25

Always ask.

rambleon65

Postby rambleon65 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm

ls23 wrote:So I just got accepted off the waitlist for a T-20 with 25K/year, but I am currently deposited with a peer school that is also giving me 25K/year after two rounds of negotiations (started at 20K/year). Can I still negotiate with the school I am deposited at for an increase or does it get annoying for the school to have to renegotiate this late in the cycle after already having negotiated previously? Any help would be great, thanks!

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. I've gone from "No we can't" then asked again "here's a bit for you" then asked again "here a bunch of extra for you."

dstars823 wrote:any chance at asking for money off the WL at a lower T14 when you have in essence full rides at several schools ranked 17-25

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Which two schools are we talking about? The US News rankings don't really determine "peer" schools. (i.e. GW and BU/BC are peer schools)

It will depends on your numbers, what the school needs, and who you're replacing. But again, You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:44 pm

I don't want to go into details right now, but NEGOTIATING SCHOLARSHIPS WORKS. Be clear, be sincere, and don't give up at the first bump. Write sincere letters, visit and speak with whomever possible, follow up with phone calls (but not too many), and make your desire to go to that school known.

kdb

Postby kdb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Back in April I was negotiating with several schools. One school (school 1) game me a slight scholarship bump after I sent them copies of my other offers. Pretty immediately afterwards, I asked for additional funds (in my 1st email I listed other offers and described interest in the specific school. In the 2nd email I focused on my strengths/past accomplishments/future potential/financial need - sounds like a lot but it wasn't a lengthy email!). My second request was soon after denied.

During this time, I did receive higher offers from other schools, which I informed school 1 about. I have made it clear that I'm looking for more aid, but I'm not sure how to broach the subject again with them. That is, I don't have anything new to say to school 1, and I have put down both deposits and withdrawn from the other schools. Does anyone have any experience in this situation/advice? Do I just repeat myself like a broken record? Give the person I've been emailing with a phone call? Definitely not ready to call it quits on seeking additional aid, despite the position I'm in.

dstars823

Postby dstars823 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:53 pm

You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Which two schools are we talking about? The US News rankings don't really determine "peer" schools. (i.e. GW and BU/BC are peer schools)

It will depends on your numbers, what the school needs, and who you're replacing. But again, You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.[/quote]

Minne and Bama, and NU is the school we are talking about for negotiating, ive heard NU is pretty stringent with negotiations.

phlmar

Postby phlmar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Temple gave me nothing, I inquired with no leverage -> nothing. I tried again a month later with 90k from Villanova, and they responded with 22,500.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:25 pm

As others said above, go ahead and ask. But i would be very surprised if NU will give you aid based on what the University of Alabama and Minnesota gave you. Can't hurt to ask, though!

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Also, try it even if you get off the waitlist, even if it's at a school that's way above your current offers. GULC appears (from this page at least) to have a reputation for stinginess, but they seem to be pretty willing to buy an above-median LSAT late in the game--by mentioning an offer from the T50 I'd been planning on attending, I got an offer of $20k/year, up from sticker.

As has been repeated, the worst they can say is no.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”