Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sportaddict144

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sportaddict144 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am

I'm sure it is already in here, but I was just bumped from 15 to 22 and I have comparable schools offering 35 and 40 but would really like to go to this school. How do I broach the subject again, after an increase yesterday. I'd be patient, but it came with a deadline of Friday. Do I call? e-Mail?

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am

Is there a nice way to tell a lower-ranked school that an acceptance at a higher-ranked school (without an offer) merits an increase from the former? I don't want to say "The other school is better at what I want to go into" for example. How do I walk the line?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

bruin91 wrote:Is there a nice way to tell a lower-ranked school that an acceptance at a higher-ranked school (without an offer) merits an increase from the former? I don't want to say "The other school is better at what I want to go into" for example. How do I walk the line?

In these cases I generally just let them get the hint on their own. Assuming the higher-ranked school in this case is clearly better, adcomms are aware of the hierarchy and its impact on job placement.

1. hi thank you for your offer, i want to attend because of ___________.
2. however balance my debt with job placement is a priority for me.
3. would you consider increasing my scholarship to make attendance more viable?
4. Also, just as an FYI, i have these other offers on the table

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 am

I'm sure it is already in here, but I was just bumped from 15 to 22 and I have comparable schools offering 35 and 40

Importantly, to maximize your merit money, you need offers from competing schools...think BC and BU, or UCLA-USC. OTOH, a school like GW is not going to care too much about an offer from UCLA (and vice versa).

It's more than just ranking. It comes down to how much they want your numbers, and if they can buy your numbers from someone else for $22k, they will.

jsmith201

Postby jsmith201 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

I am sending out a negotiation letter this afternoon. Should I include the exact PDF I got from the other school with scholly info from the Director of Financial Aid?

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm

I have found myself in, what feels like, an awkward position. I am trying to negotiate a full ride (from a significant scholly) to a school. I am using a partial scholly from a far, far, far, FAR better school as leverage. I got an interesting response. It basically asks what factors I am considering between the two. It seems that no matter how I phrase it that I am simply stating that the other school is better and the only thing that makes theirs an option is some serious loot.

Any tips on how to reply that don't reference school prestige, bar passage rates, job prospects, etc (even though these are all considerations)?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Jeebs wrote:I have found myself in, what feels like, an awkward position. I am trying to negotiate a full ride (from a significant scholly) to a school. I am using a partial scholly from a far, far, far, FAR better school as leverage. I got an interesting response. It basically asks what factors I am considering between the two. It seems that no matter how I phrase it that I am simply stating that the other school is better and the only thing that makes theirs an option is some serious loot.

Any tips on how to reply that don't reference school prestige, bar passage rates, job prospects, etc (even though these are all considerations)?

Placement into preferred practice area, but your debt aversion could sway you away from said placement? That's what I'm trying.

ArchieHicox

Postby ArchieHicox » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm

What is the consensus on which offers to send as comparisons when asking for more money? Is it a targeted strategy of only peer schools... or is a kitchen sink approach okay (of sending 4 or 5 offers). The issue I am having is at peer schools I have gotten only comparable money, and tuition is actually more expensive. At lower ranked schools, I have gotten cash money but is not any where near a peer.

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 pm

ha-ri wrote:What is the consensus on which offers to send as comparisons when asking for more money? Is it a targeted strategy of only peer schools... or is a kitchen sink approach okay (of sending 4 or 5 offers). The issue I am having is at peer schools I have gotten only comparable money, and tuition is actually more expensive. At lower ranked schools, I have gotten cash money but is not any where near a peer.

In that case, I would probably cite the scholarships as percentages of tuition or as percentages of CoA. Some schools are responsive to cost-of-living issues, but most that I've dealt with are indifferent.

whsy

Postby whsy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm

trying to negotiate with Loyola LA, who has told me they do not match scholarships, but will consider my request for $ after 1st deposit deadline. I just got a scholarship bump from Cardozo, do you guys think it would be worth mentioning to them?

timshellaw

Postby timshellaw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

jsmith201 wrote:I am sending out a negotiation letter this afternoon. Should I include the exact PDF I got from the other school with scholly info from the Director of Financial Aid?

I always did and summarized amounts/school in the body of the email.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 am

How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

Do I just tell them "As of right now, I'm attending "x" school with "y" scholarship money" and negotiate from there? I think I have a pretty good chance of getting pulled off of a few of them, even though they will be much later in the cycle and wanted to be prepared for how that whole thing works.

TYIA

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 am

togepi wrote:How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

Do I just tell them "As of right now, I'm attending "x" school with "y" scholarship money" and negotiate from there? I think I have a pretty good chance of getting pulled off of a few of them, even though they will be much later in the cycle and wanted to be prepared for how that whole thing works.

TYIA

Interested in this as well :mrgreen:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 am

togepi wrote:How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

TYIA

Yup 8)

But I dunno how fruitful the process will be. By that time most schools will be "out of money" or they'll take you off the waitlist with the assumption that you'll be willing to pay sticker. I think waitlist admits in the past have been offered schollies but it only happens occasionally. In general it's better to assume that you'll pay sticker

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 pm

cusenation wrote:

TYIA

Yup 8)

But I dunno how fruitful the process will be. By that time most schools will be "out of money" or they'll take you off the waitlist with the assumption that you'll be willing to pay sticker. I think waitlist admits in the past have been offered schollies but it only happens occasionally. In general it's better to assume that you'll pay sticker

Thanks. Does this apply even if I sign something that says "I will attend "x" school blah blah blah and accept the scholarship that was awarded" AND paying my seat deposit by check? It just seems odd to be that there couldn't be any blow-back from committing somewhere then going somewhere else that pulls you off the waitlist. Sorry if this seems paranoid.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:53 pm

If I fail to pay a deposit at a school, can I still use its scholarship as leverage? I asked USC to up my offer recently and they did, but it wasn't as much as I wanted but paid my deposit since it i really liked what the school offered. Just found out my scholarship at WUStL is a little more (very marginal like 10k more). Would it come off as too greedy to ask USC to up my scholarship again after already asking for one a few weeks ago?

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Dmini7 wrote:If I fail to pay a deposit at a school, can I still use its scholarship as leverage? I asked USC to up my offer recently and they did, but it wasn't as much as I wanted but paid my deposit since it i really liked what the school offered. Just found out my scholarship at WUStL is a little more (very marginal like 10k more). Would it come off as too greedy to ask USC to up my scholarship again after already asking for one a few weeks ago?

This is a buyer's market. As long as you're not sounding entitled or rude, I think it's fine to keep asking (with a reason to do so, e.g. another competing offer) until they say "no."

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 pm

buddytyler wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:If I fail to pay a deposit at a school, can I still use its scholarship as leverage? I asked USC to up my offer recently and they did, but it wasn't as much as I wanted but paid my deposit since it i really liked what the school offered. Just found out my scholarship at WUStL is a little more (very marginal like 10k more). Would it come off as too greedy to ask USC to up my scholarship again after already asking for one a few weeks ago?

This is a buyer's market. As long as you're not sounding entitled or rude, I think it's fine to keep asking (with a reason to do so, e.g. another competing offer) until they say "no."

Yup. It's not like they're going to take away what they've already given you. Nothing to lose and $$$ to gain.

bigfootseattle

Postby bigfootseattle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I am planning on sending out a negotiation letter this. Should be specific with the number I am looking for or just present my other offers and hope for the best? I am trying to get a school to go from 2/3 tuition to a full ride. Should I just ask for a full ride?

fredmerz

Postby fredmerz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Jeebs wrote:I have found myself in, what feels like, an awkward position. I am trying to negotiate a full ride (from a significant scholly) to a school. I am using a partial scholly from a far, far, far, FAR better school as leverage. I got an interesting response. It basically asks what factors I am considering between the two. It seems that no matter how I phrase it that I am simply stating that the other school is better and the only thing that makes theirs an option is some serious loot.

What makes you think the other school is 'better'? Is it simply their ranking? If it is I think you should rethink your priorities in life. If it isn't, it should not be that difficult for you to point out some things about this far far far far far far better school in a way that will not come off as obnoxious and still indicate you see some value in the education the far far far far far far worse school will give you.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 pm

bigfootseattle wrote:I am planning on sending out a negotiation letter this. Should be specific with the number I am looking for or just present my other offers and hope for the best? I am trying to get a school to go from 2/3 tuition to a full ride. Should I just ask for a full ride?

I don't think most schools are going to offer you a full ride if you ask for more money. They will probably give you as little as they can, so you may as well ask for your full ride to put the idea in their heads. Might not work, but as others have said, there is nothing to lose. I do hope you got a full ride from somewhere else though - to make them see a reason to give that to you.

Pierrot

Postby Pierrot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Do you all think 90K from Emory would give me any bargaining power to up my $0 from USC to something? Should I specify how much I want? I was thinking about sending them an email tomorrow since their scholly deadline was today.

NikiShiz

Postby NikiShiz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm

NikiShiz wrote:Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

I don't really know, but if I were you I would seriously look into retaking and/or finding an alternate career path. Those options are not good.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
NikiShiz wrote:Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

I don't really know, but if I were you I would seriously look into retaking and/or finding an alternate career path. Those options are not goodhorrible and/or life-ruining.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”