Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sportaddict144
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby sportaddict144 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 am

I'm sure it is already in here, but I was just bumped from 15 to 22 and I have comparable schools offering 35 and 40 but would really like to go to this school. How do I broach the subject again, after an increase yesterday. I'd be patient, but it came with a deadline of Friday. Do I call? e-Mail?

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby bruin91 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am

Is there a nice way to tell a lower-ranked school that an acceptance at a higher-ranked school (without an offer) merits an increase from the former? I don't want to say "The other school is better at what I want to go into" for example. How do I walk the line?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:50 am

bruin91 wrote:Is there a nice way to tell a lower-ranked school that an acceptance at a higher-ranked school (without an offer) merits an increase from the former? I don't want to say "The other school is better at what I want to go into" for example. How do I walk the line?


In these cases I generally just let them get the hint on their own. Assuming the higher-ranked school in this case is clearly better, adcomms are aware of the hierarchy and its impact on job placement.

1. hi thank you for your offer, i want to attend because of ___________.
2. however balance my debt with job placement is a priority for me.
3. would you consider increasing my scholarship to make attendance more viable?
4. Also, just as an FYI, i have these other offers on the table

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 am

I'm sure it is already in here, but I was just bumped from 15 to 22 and I have comparable schools offering 35 and 40


Importantly, to maximize your merit money, you need offers from competing schools...think BC and BU, or UCLA-USC. OTOH, a school like GW is not going to care too much about an offer from UCLA (and vice versa).

It's more than just ranking. It comes down to how much they want your numbers, and if they can buy your numbers from someone else for $22k, they will.

jsmith201
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby jsmith201 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:45 pm

I am sending out a negotiation letter this afternoon. Should I include the exact PDF I got from the other school with scholly info from the Director of Financial Aid?

Jeebs
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Jeebs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm

I have found myself in, what feels like, an awkward position. I am trying to negotiate a full ride (from a significant scholly) to a school. I am using a partial scholly from a far, far, far, FAR better school as leverage. I got an interesting response. It basically asks what factors I am considering between the two. It seems that no matter how I phrase it that I am simply stating that the other school is better and the only thing that makes theirs an option is some serious loot.

Any tips on how to reply that don't reference school prestige, bar passage rates, job prospects, etc (even though these are all considerations)?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Jeebs wrote:I have found myself in, what feels like, an awkward position. I am trying to negotiate a full ride (from a significant scholly) to a school. I am using a partial scholly from a far, far, far, FAR better school as leverage. I got an interesting response. It basically asks what factors I am considering between the two. It seems that no matter how I phrase it that I am simply stating that the other school is better and the only thing that makes theirs an option is some serious loot.

Any tips on how to reply that don't reference school prestige, bar passage rates, job prospects, etc (even though these are all considerations)?

Placement into preferred practice area, but your debt aversion could sway you away from said placement? That's what I'm trying.

User avatar
ArchieHicox
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby ArchieHicox » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm

What is the consensus on which offers to send as comparisons when asking for more money? Is it a targeted strategy of only peer schools... or is a kitchen sink approach okay (of sending 4 or 5 offers). The issue I am having is at peer schools I have gotten only comparable money, and tuition is actually more expensive. At lower ranked schools, I have gotten cash money but is not any where near a peer.

User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby deuceindc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 pm

ha-ri wrote:What is the consensus on which offers to send as comparisons when asking for more money? Is it a targeted strategy of only peer schools... or is a kitchen sink approach okay (of sending 4 or 5 offers). The issue I am having is at peer schools I have gotten only comparable money, and tuition is actually more expensive. At lower ranked schools, I have gotten cash money but is not any where near a peer.


In that case, I would probably cite the scholarships as percentages of tuition or as percentages of CoA. Some schools are responsive to cost-of-living issues, but most that I've dealt with are indifferent.

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby whsy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:55 pm

trying to negotiate with Loyola LA, who has told me they do not match scholarships, but will consider my request for $ after 1st deposit deadline. I just got a scholarship bump from Cardozo, do you guys think it would be worth mentioning to them?

timshellaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby timshellaw » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:06 pm

jsmith201 wrote:I am sending out a negotiation letter this afternoon. Should I include the exact PDF I got from the other school with scholly info from the Director of Financial Aid?


I always did and summarized amounts/school in the body of the email.

User avatar
togepi
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:34 am

How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

Do I just tell them "As of right now, I'm attending "x" school with "y" scholarship money" and negotiate from there? I think I have a pretty good chance of getting pulled off of a few of them, even though they will be much later in the cycle and wanted to be prepared for how that whole thing works.

TYIA

User avatar
RetakeFrenzy
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 am

togepi wrote:How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

Do I just tell them "As of right now, I'm attending "x" school with "y" scholarship money" and negotiate from there? I think I have a pretty good chance of getting pulled off of a few of them, even though they will be much later in the cycle and wanted to be prepared for how that whole thing works.

TYIA


Interested in this as well :mrgreen:

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:44 am

togepi wrote:How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

Do I just tell them "As of right now, I'm attending "x" school with "y" scholarship money" and negotiate from there? I think I have a pretty good chance of getting pulled off of a few of them, even though they will be much later in the cycle and wanted to be prepared for how that whole thing works.

TYIA


Yup 8)

But I dunno how fruitful the process will be. By that time most schools will be "out of money" or they'll take you off the waitlist with the assumption that you'll be willing to pay sticker. I think waitlist admits in the past have been offered schollies but it only happens occasionally. In general it's better to assume that you'll pay sticker

User avatar
togepi
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby togepi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 pm

cusenation wrote:
togepi wrote:How does it work if I pay my seat deposit and accept my scholarship to a school that I plan on going to if other schools (higher ranked, more expensive, etc) take me off the waitlist?

Do I just tell them "As of right now, I'm attending "x" school with "y" scholarship money" and negotiate from there? I think I have a pretty good chance of getting pulled off of a few of them, even though they will be much later in the cycle and wanted to be prepared for how that whole thing works.

TYIA


Yup 8)

But I dunno how fruitful the process will be. By that time most schools will be "out of money" or they'll take you off the waitlist with the assumption that you'll be willing to pay sticker. I think waitlist admits in the past have been offered schollies but it only happens occasionally. In general it's better to assume that you'll pay sticker


Thanks. Does this apply even if I sign something that says "I will attend "x" school blah blah blah and accept the scholarship that was awarded" AND paying my seat deposit by check? It just seems odd to be that there couldn't be any blow-back from committing somewhere then going somewhere else that pulls you off the waitlist. Sorry if this seems paranoid.

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:53 pm

If I fail to pay a deposit at a school, can I still use its scholarship as leverage? I asked USC to up my offer recently and they did, but it wasn't as much as I wanted but paid my deposit since it i really liked what the school offered. Just found out my scholarship at WUStL is a little more (very marginal like 10k more). Would it come off as too greedy to ask USC to up my scholarship again after already asking for one a few weeks ago?

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby buddyt » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Dmini7 wrote:If I fail to pay a deposit at a school, can I still use its scholarship as leverage? I asked USC to up my offer recently and they did, but it wasn't as much as I wanted but paid my deposit since it i really liked what the school offered. Just found out my scholarship at WUStL is a little more (very marginal like 10k more). Would it come off as too greedy to ask USC to up my scholarship again after already asking for one a few weeks ago?

This is a buyer's market. As long as you're not sounding entitled or rude, I think it's fine to keep asking (with a reason to do so, e.g. another competing offer) until they say "no."

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby gaud » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 pm

buddytyler wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:If I fail to pay a deposit at a school, can I still use its scholarship as leverage? I asked USC to up my offer recently and they did, but it wasn't as much as I wanted but paid my deposit since it i really liked what the school offered. Just found out my scholarship at WUStL is a little more (very marginal like 10k more). Would it come off as too greedy to ask USC to up my scholarship again after already asking for one a few weeks ago?

This is a buyer's market. As long as you're not sounding entitled or rude, I think it's fine to keep asking (with a reason to do so, e.g. another competing offer) until they say "no."


Yup. It's not like they're going to take away what they've already given you. Nothing to lose and $$$ to gain.

bigfootseattle
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby bigfootseattle » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:11 pm

I am planning on sending out a negotiation letter this. Should be specific with the number I am looking for or just present my other offers and hope for the best? I am trying to get a school to go from 2/3 tuition to a full ride. Should I just ask for a full ride?

fredmerz
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby fredmerz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Jeebs wrote:I have found myself in, what feels like, an awkward position. I am trying to negotiate a full ride (from a significant scholly) to a school. I am using a partial scholly from a far, far, far, FAR better school as leverage. I got an interesting response. It basically asks what factors I am considering between the two. It seems that no matter how I phrase it that I am simply stating that the other school is better and the only thing that makes theirs an option is some serious loot.

Any tips on how to reply that don't reference school prestige, bar passage rates, job prospects, etc (even though these are all considerations)?


What makes you think the other school is 'better'? Is it simply their ranking? If it is I think you should rethink your priorities in life. If it isn't, it should not be that difficult for you to point out some things about this far far far far far far better school in a way that will not come off as obnoxious and still indicate you see some value in the education the far far far far far far worse school will give you.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 pm

bigfootseattle wrote:I am planning on sending out a negotiation letter this. Should be specific with the number I am looking for or just present my other offers and hope for the best? I am trying to get a school to go from 2/3 tuition to a full ride. Should I just ask for a full ride?

I don't think most schools are going to offer you a full ride if you ask for more money. They will probably give you as little as they can, so you may as well ask for your full ride to put the idea in their heads. Might not work, but as others have said, there is nothing to lose. I do hope you got a full ride from somewhere else though - to make them see a reason to give that to you.

User avatar
Pierrot
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby Pierrot » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Do you all think 90K from Emory would give me any bargaining power to up my $0 from USC to something? Should I specify how much I want? I was thinking about sending them an email tomorrow since their scholly deadline was today.

NikiShiz
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NikiShiz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm

NikiShiz wrote:Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

...

I don't really know, but if I were you I would seriously look into retaking and/or finding an alternate career path. Those options are not good.

User avatar
buddyt
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby buddyt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
NikiShiz wrote:Do you guys think that $60K at Chicago Kent and $45K + $5K first year only at Case Western can get me $$ from U of Miami? (currently offering me nothing)

...

I don't really know, but if I were you I would seriously look into retaking and/or finding an alternate career path. Those options are not goodhorrible and/or life-ruining.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, okf731, SevenSeven77 and 13 guests