Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
deuceindc
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby deuceindc » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:56 am

JesusChrist wrote:So I tried my hands at negotiating and got a decent bump, but then again, my negotiation email might have been irrelevant to my bump. Anyways, I have no offer that comes even close to what WUSTL gave me. I didn't bother applying to many safety schools, and the 2 that I applied to decided they wanted to WL me. So I have no other offers. How do you think I should go about asking for a 3rd consideration? If at all, I do sorta feel bad about asking again. Especially since I feel like I'm getting the market rate, given my GPA. Maybe even above market-rate since my GPA is below the 25th percentile.


As long as you're polite and honest, you shouldn't feel bad about asking for more money. "Market value" is determined by the market - if they don't want to give you more money, they won't.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:00 am

deuceindc wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:So I tried my hands at negotiating and got a decent bump, but then again, my negotiation email might have been irrelevant to my bump. Anyways, I have no offer that comes even close to what WUSTL gave me. I didn't bother applying to many safety schools, and the 2 that I applied to decided they wanted to WL me. So I have no other offers. How do you think I should go about asking for a 3rd consideration? If at all, I do sorta feel bad about asking again. Especially since I feel like I'm getting the market rate, given my GPA. Maybe even above market-rate since my GPA is below the 25th percentile.


As long as you're polite and honest, you shouldn't feel bad about asking for more money. "Market value" is determined by the market - if they don't want to give you more money, they won't.


Whether or not you get a second bump will depend more on your numbers and its relative value to the median than anything else (this could probably apply to all negotiations though)...There's no harm in asking, but i wouldn't expect to get a response until after the first deadline

kfischm1
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Sent an email to Dean Anne Richards a few weeks back trying to negotiate my scholarship of $90,000 at UVA. Never responded.

joshuajsmith
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby joshuajsmith » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Do you think it's poor form to come right back with a request for more money after being awarded more, or is there a period of time you guys would suggest to wait?

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm

kfischm1 wrote:Sent an email to Dean Anne Richards a few weeks back trying to negotiate my scholarship of $90,000 at UVA. Never responded.


S-so you ddidint think to follow upp with a a second email or a pph phone call?

florida1949
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby florida1949 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:01 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:Do you think it's poor form to come right back with a request for more money after being awarded more, or is there a period of time you guys would suggest to wait?


Seems like poor form in my opinion. Has something changed? i.e. you received another offer

User avatar
annet
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby annet » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:11 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:Do you think it's poor form to come right back with a request for more money after being awarded more, or is there a period of time you guys would suggest to wait?


I'd dig back into this thread. There was a poster who got her UCLA offer raised several times. I believe she contacted them about once a month through July.

kfischm1
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:17 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:Sent an email to Dean Anne Richards a few weeks back trying to negotiate my scholarship of $90,000 at UVA. Never responded.


S-so you ddidint think to follow upp with a a second email or a pph phone call?


I was going to call but this week she sent out an email about deposit deadlines not being able to extended, that additional scholarship offers might be made after the first deposit, etc. Seemed like it would be useless to follow up.

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

.
Last edited by MyNameIsFlynn! on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

kfischm1
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby kfischm1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
kfischm1 wrote:Sent an email to Dean Anne Richards a few weeks back trying to negotiate my scholarship of $90,000 at UVA. Never responded.


S-so you ddidint think to follow upp with a a second email or a pph phone call?


I was going to call but this week she sent out an email about deposit deadlines not being able to be extended, that additional scholarship offers might be made after the first deposit, etc. Seemed like it would be useless to follow up.


I've found UVa's staff very helpful so I cut them some slack - emails do get lost in the inbox sometimes. For what it's worth, I think you're right about the timing of UVA - I intend to approach them next week to start negotiations. Betting they'll have a significant amount of $ open up after tomorrow.


Yeah, I'm also thinking that they will have more money after the deposit deadline for scholarship recipients tomorrow. I don't know how successful I will be at getting any more money though. My numbers are 169/4.14. Last I checked UVA still had a 170 median, so I don't think they are likely to try and sway me too much and will probably use the freed up money to attract later admits with higher LSATs that they weren't able to offer money originally.

RyanP
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RyanP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 am

Long-time lurker here. Would anyone be willing to read my negotiation letter? I would really appreciate it!

rshw89
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby rshw89 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:55 am

RyanP wrote:Long-time lurker here. Would anyone be willing to read my negotiation letter? I would really appreciate it!


I don't have the reputation that some around here have, but I've been pretty successful in my scholarship negotiations. Send it to my inbox if you'd like.

RyanP
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby RyanP » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 am

rshw89 wrote:
RyanP wrote:Long-time lurker here. Would anyone be willing to read my negotiation letter? I would really appreciate it!


I don't have the reputation that some around here have, but I've been pretty successful in my scholarship negotiations. Send it to my inbox if you'd like.


Thanks! I just sent it.

CourCour
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby CourCour » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 pm

SenatorClayDavis wrote:Do you think it is reasonable to ask your top choice school for money if none has been offered? :?


Its always reasonable. If you're already in, why wouldn't you ask?

Every school but 1 that I've asked has given me more money.

parkys77
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby parkys77 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:25 pm

I got acceptance letter from BC, but scholarship information didn't come with the admission packet.
Since deposit dates are coming up, I asked the school's financial committee anyway whether they could offer me a merid aid scholarship.
I got full tuition from UMN, and I mentioned it in the letter. Today I just received an e-mail from BC saying that they cannot provide scholarship. My lsat score and gpa are both above their medians. Does anyone know whether the school ran out of scholly money or do they really hate me? :cry: I would really like to attend BC, and it would be really nice if I can get scholarship. I think and hope that there would be a change in school's scholarship fund around or after the deposit date if some students who were offered scholarships withdraw. I want to ask the school to continue considering giving scholarship to me, but I am afraid that it might be too brusque to mention my thought above. Anyone who had luck with negotiating scholarship after denied the first time? It would really help me. Thank you!

User avatar
learntolift
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby learntolift » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Has anyone tried to get more money from Cornell? Who do we email regarding it?

And any tips on what to say in your email or exactly how to approach it?

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby nba101790 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:13 pm

parkys77 wrote:I got acceptance letter from BC, but scholarship information didn't come with the admission packet.
Since deposit dates are coming up, I asked the school's financial committee anyway whether they could offer me a merid aid scholarship.
I got full tuition from UMN, and I mentioned it in the letter. Today I just received an e-mail from BC saying that they cannot provide scholarship. My lsat score and gpa are both above their medians. Does anyone know whether the school ran out of scholly money or do they really hate me? :cry: I would really like to attend BC, and it would be really nice if I can get scholarship. I think and hope that there would be a change in school's scholarship fund around or after the deposit date if some students who were offered scholarships withdraw. I want to ask the school to continue considering giving scholarship to me, but I am afraid that it might be too brusque to mention my thought above. Anyone who had luck with negotiating scholarship after denied the first time? It would really help me. Thank you!


That's a weird situation. I'd call the dean of admissions and explain the situation and see if they'd at least be willing to meet you halfway.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:15 pm

nba101790 wrote:
parkys77 wrote:I got acceptance letter from BC, but scholarship information didn't come with the admission packet.
Since deposit dates are coming up, I asked the school's financial committee anyway whether they could offer me a merid aid scholarship.
I got full tuition from UMN, and I mentioned it in the letter. Today I just received an e-mail from BC saying that they cannot provide scholarship. My lsat score and gpa are both above their medians. Does anyone know whether the school ran out of scholly money or do they really hate me? :cry: I would really like to attend BC, and it would be really nice if I can get scholarship. I think and hope that there would be a change in school's scholarship fund around or after the deposit date if some students who were offered scholarships withdraw. I want to ask the school to continue considering giving scholarship to me, but I am afraid that it might be too brusque to mention my thought above. Anyone who had luck with negotiating scholarship after denied the first time? It would really help me. Thank you!


That's a weird situation. I'd call the dean of admissions and explain the situation and see if they'd at least be willing to meet you halfway.


They are most certainly NOT out of money. If you're willing to pay the deposit fee, i would wait until after their first deadline to ask again. As of now, they probably maxed out their commitments. But money should be freed up once first deadline passes and the first group of candidates withdraw.

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby maxmartin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 pm

parkys77 wrote:I got acceptance letter from BC, but scholarship information didn't come with the admission packet.
Since deposit dates are coming up, I asked the school's financial committee anyway whether they could offer me a merid aid scholarship.
I got full tuition from UMN, and I mentioned it in the letter. Today I just received an e-mail from BC saying that they cannot provide scholarship. My lsat score and gpa are both above their medians. Does anyone know whether the school ran out of scholly money or do they really hate me? :cry: I would really like to attend BC, and it would be really nice if I can get scholarship. I think and hope that there would be a change in school's scholarship fund around or after the deposit date if some students who were offered scholarships withdraw. I want to ask the school to continue considering giving scholarship to me, but I am afraid that it might be too brusque to mention my thought above. Anyone who had luck with negotiating scholarship after denied the first time? It would really help me. Thank you!


Are you an international student? Someone mentioned in BC thread they don'y give money out to international students.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Anyone want to help me out a bit? Have an interesting competing offer...

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby shntn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Anyone want to help me out a bit? Have an interesting competing offer...

Hasn't their deadline already passed? That said, I haven't received any scolding e-mail yet, so you probably do have some wiggle room.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Any chance of getting a bump without a competing offer to show them? Also can't promise them that they're my first choice..

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby shntn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:34 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any chance of getting a bump without a competing offer to show them? Also can't promise them that they're my first choice..

Re the bolded, you don't have to swear on your life that that's the case. Just say that you're strongly considering them as one of your many wonderful options.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any chance of getting a bump without a competing offer to show them? Also can't promise them that they're my first choice..


Yeah it could happen. It depends on your numbers relative to their medians. FWIW I got a bump last year without a competing offer. But i did email them saying that i would need more money. Didn't say they were my first choice or anything

florida1949
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Postby florida1949 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:40 pm

cusenation wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Any chance of getting a bump without a competing offer to show them? Also can't promise them that they're my first choice..


Yeah it could happen. It depends on your numbers relative to their medians. FWIW I got a bump last year without a competing offer. But i did email them saying that i would need more money. Didn't say they were my first choice or anything


hmm, would you mind expanding on how you worded your letter? I am in a similar situation (received some $, but bumping it, even by a small amount, would make attending a lot more attractive). Also, I should wait until after the first deposit deadline to send an e-mail, right?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”