Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
evilgenius

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by evilgenius » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 pm

This thread is one of the most helpful this cycle. Using the advice I got here I was able to negotiate an additional $34K from a reach school! Now they are covering most of the tuition. I'd say the things that worked in my favor are:

1. I had a slightly higher $ offer from the school's top competitor in the region.
2. I had a significantly higher $ offer from T20 ranked over 20 places higher and an even higher $ offer from another regional school ranked lower.
3. I genuinely needed the money, and this was my top choice.

To add my two cents on advice: Most schools won't negotiate if you come off to cocky, or if they don't believe that you are seriously considering attending. I told this school that they were one of my top choices and that the COA is the major factor that would prevent me from attending.

It also helps to actually need additional aid, and be able to prove that you need it if necessary. In my case I mentioned that I didn't believe that I'd be approved for grad plus or private loans (this is largely because of adverse credit). The schools already had my FAFSA so they were able to see my need (i.e. the EFC).

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:26 pm

I really want to negotiate my scholarship offer, but I'm not sure if I really have anything to back it up other than that I'm poor and I'm really worried how I'm going to pay for it (and this is most likely a problem that everyone faces...). I received a slightly higher offer from a similarly ranked school (by about $1000 more :roll:), but is that even worth mentioning? Should I try it anyway?

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:22 am

Using this thread and the TLS content competition entry on negotiating scholarships (see http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373) I've requested two reconsiderations... Its looking like it may come down to the last minute for me.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:04 am

Do you think it's worth asking for some $$$ if I barely squeaked in to my reach? On the one hand, what do I have to lose, but then I think it's kinda like looking a gift horse in the mouth considering my scores are so low in comparison to 90% of the others who did get in. It's almost like I'm a charity case as it is....

I guess I don't want them to point and laugh or something.

:oops:

smov_operator

Bronze

Post by smov_operator » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 am

chango wrote:Do you think it's worth asking for some $$$ if I barely squeaked in to my reach? On the one hand, what do I have to lose, but then I think it's kinda like looking a gift horse in the mouth considering my scores are so low in comparison to 90% of the others who did get in. It's almost like I'm a charity case as it is....

I guess I don't want them to point and laugh or something.

:oops:
If they laugh you won't see it. Go for it. The worst thing they will say is no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:15 am

Thanks for this thread. Before reading this and the talent competition thread I kind of figgured I wasn't going to get any more offers. The other thread (linked above) has some good graphs and a formula to compare to last year's scholarship offers. I realized I was eligable. So I sent some emails out this morning. I'll let you know how my negotiations go.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 am

I got myself an extra $4500 a year. Considering that my grades are pretty low, and I had no other offers to make them feel bad about, I thought this was great. Plus, negotiating is fun!

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:00 pm

HOLY CRAP!!! I JUST WENT FROM $0 TO $75000 BECAUSE I REQUESTED TO BE RECONSIDERED! I'M IN SCHOCK!!! :shock:

muahawhawhaw

New

Post by muahawhawhaw » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Went from 0 to 30K at CLS! Fortunate to be admitted, now stoked to have a discount!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:Went from 0 to 30K at CLS! Fortunate to be admitted, now stoked to have a discount!
details please? Did they reconsider you in light of a decision from another school?

madcherrylimas

New

Post by madcherrylimas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:23 pm

Were any of you an ED admit when you tried negotiating scholarships? I'm afraid that that means I won't get anything. And if I'm deferred until next year, when would you recommend I start asking for scholly money?

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:43 am

MURPH wrote:Thanks for this thread. Before reading this and the talent competition thread I kind of figgured I wasn't going to get any more offers. The other thread (linked above) has some good graphs and a formula to compare to last year's scholarship offers. I realized I was eligable. So I sent some emails out this morning. I'll let you know how my negotiations go.
I squeezed about $4000 more per year out of my school since reading this. Thanks. It won't change my life but it is cool to have a little less money going to them and a bit more in my pocket.

Madcherrylimas: If you ED, the only thing you can hold against them is the possibility that you might pull out and defer for a year. Talk to them - tell them you are having real financial concerns and need help. Keep an eye on who they admit from the waitlist so you can judge if they are looking for high GPA or high LSAT scorers, compare that to your scores. If you are a high LSAT score and they are pulling high LSAT scorers off of the waitlist then you might have some leverage if you threaten to pull out.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 pm

bump!

When do we pick this thread back up for the 2010-2011 cycle?

Would it be good to wait until late January or early February to ask for increased merit money?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhatSarahSaid

Bronze

Post by WhatSarahSaid » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Depends on the school, for sure. A quick look at TLS shows that several of the top schools make their initial offers in February/March. I'd suggest trying to negotiate when you have a few offers in hand, if possible, and when the school in question has made offers to other people already.

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Just jumping in for now because I'll definitely be referencing this thread in the near future :-).

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:53 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm

I've just started the negotiation process with several schools this week. I will update the thread as things start to happen.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:45 pm

trying to figure out the negotiating process. How did you all start the conversation?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm

I'm following the initial advice posted in this topic: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:20 pm

northwood wrote:trying to figure out the negotiating process. How did you all start the conversation?
PM'd you

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm

thanks a lot. that was very helpful!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:36 pm

northwood wrote:thanks a lot. that was very helpful!
My pleasure. Its not much, but you've got to start somewhere.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:40 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
northwood wrote:thanks a lot. that was very helpful!
My pleasure. Its not much, but you've got to start somewhere.
I'd appreciate the advice, too, if you don't mind PMing me with it.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:41 pm

tagging for reference this cycle :)

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Quick question:

Is it poor form to try to winkle more money out of a school that has offered a full tuition scholarship? Books and living expenses are high, and I would rather not have to take out an assload of loans to cover them. A living/book stipend would be marvelous!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”