Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mvp99

Silver

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by mvp99 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:12 pm

Masonsmith

New

Post by Masonsmith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Has anyone ever had an experience getting any money out of an ED program? I just got into my ED program, and i am willing to take on the debt but I would like to know if it's possible for me to reduce my debt load at least a little bit. Sorry if there is already a post on this! ><

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:43 pm

Masonsmith wrote:Has anyone ever had an experience getting any money out of an ED program? I just got into my ED program, and i am willing to take on the debt but I would like to know if it's possible for me to reduce my debt load at least a little bit. Sorry if there is already a post on this! ><
I mean, just talk to them and tell them that finances are a big issue and you'd appreciate if there's anything minimal that they could throw at you.

Masonsmith

New

Post by Masonsmith » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Masonsmith wrote:Has anyone ever had an experience getting any money out of an ED program? I just got into my ED program, and i am willing to take on the debt but I would like to know if it's possible for me to reduce my debt load at least a little bit. Sorry if there is already a post on this! ><
I mean, just talk to them and tell them that finances are a big issue and you'd appreciate if there's anything minimal that they could throw at you.
Thanks scott, I'll try that. I'm hoping that I can get at least a little bit of money to help ease the debt pressure.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Masonsmith wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Thanks scott, I'll try that. I'm hoping that I can get at least a little bit of money to help ease the debt pressure.
You probably won't get anything, but it doesn't hurt to just ask.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 pm

I would just keep pestering them, the worst they can do is say no, and if they say no the first time, ask again. It's my understanding that once you start law school you will never see the admissions staff again. They are not going to revoke your acceptance unless you are rude about it, so be polite and ask away.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:37 pm

school's are fun
Last edited by Dr. Nefario on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calawgrl

Bronze

Post by calawgrl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:47 pm

I'm pretty sure they will. I know someone who negotiated with them with a similarly ranked school

Dipper

Bronze

Post by Dipper » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Masonsmith wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
In a previous cycle I successfully negotiated 90K after ED'ing. And there's always need-based aid. Worth a shot, definitely!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Masonsmith

New

Post by Masonsmith » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Dipper wrote:
Masonsmith wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
In a previous cycle I successfully negotiated 90K after ED'ing. And there's always need-based aid. Worth a shot, definitely!
^that is literally my dream.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:24 pm

Dipper wrote:
Masonsmith wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
That is pretty awesome and cool. Well played.

I have my own crazy story but it is a total outlier so please don't think it is likely, that I am looking for clients for scholarship neg. (I'm not) or that it is indicative of anything other than getting really lucky with a really good client but anyway we he was WL's at HLS and Chicago so he called me for help and we ended up getting him Rubenstein at Chicago off the WL.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:32 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:That is pretty awesome and cool. Well played.

I have my own crazy story but it is a total outlier so please don't think it is likely, that I am looking for clients for scholarship neg. (I'm not) or that it is indicative of anything other than getting really lucky with a really good client but anyway we he was WL's at HLS and Chicago so he called me for help and we ended up getting him Rubenstein at Chicago off the WL.
WHAT?!?!

How?

TEACH ME!?

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes. Although I had the numbers for the lower T14, I applied ED at a school just outside the T14 that was not splitter friendly (but in an area near where I lived). Told them I was more than happy to sit out a year and keep working at my firm if they there was no money to be had. Got bumped from $5k to $28k per year. I forget when exactly they got back to me but they took a good long while. April? This was probably a fluke, but it can't hurt to try. I was more than happy to sit out a cycle and I'm guessing they knew it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:

WHAT?!?!

How?

TEACH ME!?
I'll do it for $163,387.

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:58 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

WHAT?!?!

How?

TEACH ME!?
I'll do it for $163,387.
Lol

Masonsmith

New

Post by Masonsmith » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:59 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
Uschoolqb10 wrote:

WHAT?!?!

How?

TEACH ME!?
I'll do it for $163,387.
I only have $163, 386. Sorry. :(

Falcon3

New

Post by Falcon3 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Masonsmith wrote: I only have $163, 386. Sorry. :(
I'll spot you a buck.

After reading through the many dozens of pages of this thread, I've got a question. I'm a splitter 168/2.9x My LSAT makes me competitive at some higher schools (T20s to T40's). However, I'm much more interested in attending a lower tier school at significant discount (spare the lecture, I've done my research). I've identified several schools that I should have a great shot at great money, but I'm getting pretty low offers so far- around half tuition.

Do you think they're low-balling me thinking I'm going to attend a T40+ school and these 100+ schools don't want to tie up scholarship money for peeps that they think have a better chance of actually attending? Any tips on negotiating with this sort of situation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JMWZ

New

Post by JMWZ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:52 pm

So from this thread here's what I garner about negotiating scholarships. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

1) Wait until all decisions are in and you have a good idea where you're working from.

2) Work on your schools of lower preference first. Build those offers up so you can use them with your higher preference schools.

3) Transition to the schools you really want to go to. Send them an email and use the offers from the schools in step 2 and your other high preference schools to raise their offers.

4) Don't withdraw or commit to any school as long as possible so you can reap increasingly better offers.

5) Deposit to two schools (if possible) so that you have two schools that both want you. It doesn't hurt to be in contact with other schools that you didn't send deposit to.

Am I missing anything?

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:56 pm

JMWZ wrote:So from this thread here's what I garner about negotiating scholarships. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

1) Wait until all decisions are in and you have a good idea where you're working from.

2) Work on your schools of lower preference first. Build those offers up so you can use them with your higher preference schools.

3) Transition to the schools you really want to go to. Send them an email and use the offers from the schools in step 2 and your other high preference schools to raise their offers.

4) Don't withdraw or commit to any school as long as possible so you can reap increasingly better offers.

5) Deposit to two schools (if possible) so that you have two schools that both want you. It doesn't hurt to be in contact with other schools that you didn't send deposit to.

Am I missing anything?
We can deposit at multiple schools? That would give some negotiation leverage for sure.

JMWZ

New

Post by JMWZ » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Uschoolqb10 wrote:
JMWZ wrote:So from this thread here's what I garner about negotiating scholarships. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Am I missing anything?
We can deposit at multiple schools? That would give some negotiation leverage for sure.
That's what I thought I read? It might be against the rules at some schools, or just douchey, but I think plenty of people do it.

calawgrl

Bronze

Post by calawgrl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:02 pm

How would depositing at multiple schools help?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:03 pm

^^ i wld recommend not to double deposit
you wld b double dopositing at the risk of losing admission to both schools if doing so violates the SIR for that school and that school decides to show it to the other school
check out SIR and the language contained there

calawgrl

Bronze

Post by calawgrl » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:08 pm

LawsRUs wrote:^^ i wld recommend not to double deposit
you wld b double dopositing at the risk of losing admission to both schools if doing so violates the SIR for that school and that school decides to show it to the other school
that's true it could be dangerous, on a side note LawRUS I love ur posts on these forums, you're always so happy and optimistic loll :P

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 pm

calawgrl wrote:
LawsRUs wrote:^^ i wld recommend not to double deposit
that's true it could be dangerous, on a side note LawRUS I love ur posts on these forums, you're always so happy and optimistic loll :P
lol i recongize u too. u r always in at all the schools !!

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:11 pm

I thought I've heard of it, too. But I'm not sure what other opinions are on the matter. Mike, would you mind shedding some light on this for us?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”