Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kev101

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by kev101 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Bump.

Anyone from this cycle have any success thus far?

bkegslounge

Bronze

Post by bkegslounge » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Curious as well. I have 3 scholarship offers right now and am trying to figure out how I should go about playing the offers off each other.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm

bkegslounge wrote:Curious as well.

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:32 pm

bkegslounge wrote:Curious as well. I have 3 scholarship offers right now and am trying to figure out how I should go about playing the offers off each other.
+1 for most of that.
I'm not curious about how to go about it.
I'm curious about whether anyone has even begun their negotiations, let alone whether they found success of any kind.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:Curious as well. I have 3 scholarship offers right now and am trying to figure out how I should go about playing the offers off each other.
+1 for most of that.
I'm curious about whether anyone has even begun their negotiations, let alone whether they found success of any kind.
I'll begin after I get my initial response from Texas to see if I even need to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cal Trask

Gold

Post by Cal Trask » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:51 am

kev101 wrote:Bump.

I think it's still a bit early.

thechancellor

Silver

Post by thechancellor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:14 am

Dingo Starr wrote:
+1 for most of that.
I'll be interested to hear how you guys go about it - I haven't gotten any $$ offers from any of my schools yet, so it's definitely a bit early on my end.

qapla

New

Post by qapla » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
+1 for most of that.
Negotiations initiated as of today. Will update if my magic works...or fails.

Savage13

New

Post by Savage13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 am

I have started negotiations with the schools that have already offered me scholarships. One directed me to apply to the school's supplementary scholarships (basically turned me down) and another asked me to fill out a scholarship reconsideration form.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kirbyb

New

Post by kirbyb » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Cal Trask wrote:

When's a good time to start?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:31 pm

kirbyb wrote:
Cal Trask wrote:

When's a good time to start?
When you have a few offers that you can start playing off of.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm

So if I have a few substantial scholarships already, it isn't too soon to start asking for cash?

berndie90

New

Post by berndie90 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:35 pm

I was under the impression that you should at least wait to see your package before you start negotiating, right? For schools that haven't released $$$ yet because they need to see your FAFSA/Need Access, wait to negotiate once they show their cards?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:43 pm

What is the concensus on a reasonable stip (outside of no stip at all)?
How does one go about negotiating down a stip?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:09 pm

JustHawkin wrote:What is the concensus on a reasonable stip (outside of no stip at all)?
Tell us the stip and that school's median and then we can tell you if it's reasonable. Since every school has different curves, it's impossible to generalize what's reasonable or not.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
JustHawkin wrote:What is the concensus on a reasonable stip (outside of no stip at all)?
Tell us the stip and that school's median and then we can tell you if it's reasonable. Since every school has different curves, it's impossible to generalize what's reasonable or not.
Nothing on the table yet, just forecasting out of curiosity. Taking a preliminary look at this, so I haven't exactly done any research into schools' past scholly offers and stips.

bkegslounge

Bronze

Post by bkegslounge » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:45 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
So I have a few offers already that I'm trying to leverage.

Full-ride to Chapman with 2.9 stip (2.8 median) and full-ride to Michigan State

$20,000 to Santa Clara with a 3.0 stip which is a B- on their 4.33 grade scale (that's what their letter says)

$33,000 to University of San Diego with no stip and a similar offer to Denver.

I think the USD offer is my top choice so far. But my second choice is to try to negotiate more out of Santa Clara because I would have my room and board taken care of there. Do you think I'd be able to get more from Santa Clara AND get rid of the stip? Do I send them every offer I've received?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

bkegslounge wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

$20,000 to Santa Clara with a 3.0 stip which is a B- on their 4.33 grade scale (that's what their letter says)

I think the USD offer is my top choice so far. But my second choice is to try to negotiate more out of Santa Clara because I would have my room and board taken care of there. Do you think I'd be able to get more from Santa Clara AND get rid of the stip? Do I send them every offer I've received?
That's a strange list of schools. Since it doesn't look like you're aiming for T14, you should go to the best school in the region you want to practice with a full-ride or close to it. This probably means retaking the LSAT.

bkegslounge

Bronze

Post by bkegslounge » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:40 pm

buddyt wrote:
bkegslounge wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

That's a strange list of schools. Since it doesn't look like you're aiming for T14, you should go to the best school in the region you want to practice with a full-ride or close to it. This probably means retaking the LSAT.

I applied to 11 CA schools. That was just a partial list. The out-of-state school I applied to just because they waived their fee and I figured I could use them for leverage. I applied to UCLA, USC and UCI as well but haven't heard anything. I'm trying to see if I can get more out of Santa Clara in the meantime.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 pm

BuddyT has some good advice. You should retake and hit up one of those schools for free with 0 stipulations or go to a higher ranked school.

Will suck initially but your wallet and career prospects will thank you in the future. Either way, good luck!

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:18 am

gaud wrote:BuddyT has some good advice. You should retake and hit up one of those schools for free with 0 stipulations or go to a higher ranked school.

Will suck initially but your wallet and career prospects will thank you in the future. Either way, good luck!
Jesus. I love how you pop out of nowhere to offer some chill and sociable advice in a chill and sociable manner.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 am

deputydog wrote:
gaud wrote:BuddyT has some good advice. You should retake and hit up one of those schools for free with 0 stipulations or go to a higher ranked school.

Jesus. I love how you pop out of nowhere to offer some chill and sociable advice in a chill and sociable manner.
Big 'ol *brofist*

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 am

bkegslounge wrote:I applied to 11 CA schools. That was just a partial list. The out-of-state school I applied to just because they waived their fee and I figured I could use them for leverage. I applied to UCLA, USC and UCI as well but haven't heard anything. I'm trying to see if I can get more out of Santa Clara in the meantime.
I see. Cali is a super competitive market, so if you want to practice there and Stanford and Boalt are out of the question, then I'd shoot for big money at USC/UCLA, which depending on GPA probably means high 160's/low 170's.

I tried hard to not sound like a jerk and I don't think I did very well, and in your brosual way you say what I wanted to say in the way I wanted to say it. You must be on LR.

kaitlyn1777

New

Post by kaitlyn1777 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Meeting with FSU tomorrow about scholarships and want to ask for a bit more $ because it's my top choice.

So far, I've been accepted to UGA, Alabama, William & Mary, and Wake Forest… Waitlisted at Vandy. I know FSU isn't ranked as highly as some of the others I have been accepted, but I really fell in love with the school.

So far, I've gotten $14k. I'm out of state, but they didn't tell me I had out of state waived…

Only received one other scholarship so far… William & Mary 10k.

Should I ask for more from FSU or is 14k about as good as I can expect? What should I say to negotiate?

LSAT: 161 GPA: 4.0

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:52 pm

kaitlyn1777 wrote:Meeting with FSU tomorrow about scholarships and want to ask for a bit more $ because it's my top choice.

So far, I've been accepted to UGA, Alabama, William & Mary, and Wake Forest… Waitlisted at Vandy. I know FSU isn't ranked as highly as some of the others I have been accepted, but I really fell in love with the school.

So far, I've gotten $14k. I'm out of state, but they didn't tell me I had out of state waived…

Only received one other scholarship so far… William & Mary 10k.

Should I ask for more from FSU or is 14k about as good as I can expect? What should I say to negotiate?

LSAT: 161 GPA: 4.0
buddyt wrote:Since it doesn't look like you're aiming for T14, you should go to the best school in the region you want to practice with a full-ride or close to it. This probably means retaking the LSAT.
This is especially true with your 4.0 GPA. You have a shot at Yale, Harvard, Stanford etc. if you retake the LSAT. Even if you don't want ivy league, just a few more points and you can go to a regional school anywhere in the country for free.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”