Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
psyduckiscool

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by psyduckiscool » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:59 pm

How long should we wait after placing our first deposits to try to negotiate for more $? Also do we have to show the schools new offers from other schools or can it just be a general "can you consider giving me more" type of question?

skatekate

New

Post by skatekate » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:45 am

This thread has been super helpful so far! I was wondering if anyone could help with my situation.

I already deposited at BU, my top choice, and I was thinking about emailing for more scholarship money after the first deposit date, 4/15. I had an email drafted up including offers from other schools on hand and I was going to talk about costs of living in Boston vs. my home state. But I just got into BC! Should I mention that I got into BC in my negotiation email? I thought maybe BU would get nervous that I might go there and increase money to lure me back (even though I'm supposedly already committed by depositing ugh) OR this could backfire, BU would not care if I go to BC...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

HRomanus

Silver

Post by HRomanus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00 pm

skatekate wrote:This thread has been super helpful so far! I was wondering if anyone could help with my situation.

I already deposited at BU, my top choice, and I was thinking about emailing for more scholarship money after the first deposit date, 4/15. I had an email drafted up including offers from other schools on hand and I was going to talk about costs of living in Boston vs. my home state. But I just got into BC! Should I mention that I got into BC in my negotiation email? I thought maybe BU would get nervous that I might go there and increase money to lure me back (even though I'm supposedly already committed by depositing ugh) OR this could backfire, BU would not care if I go to BC...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I don't know how BU specifically works, but most first deposits just reserve your seat and are not a binding commitment. Negotiating won't "backfire" - BU won't withdraw your scholarship offer or deny you admission. But typically schools only care about comparable/better scholarship offers from comparable/better schools. Just getting into BC won't influence BU. Have you received your scholarship info from BC?

JDByron31

New

Post by JDByron31 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:16 pm

How long does it usually take, after sending a negotiation letter, before you get a response? I also sent my letter, specifically, to the head of the financial aid department. Should I have sent it to the general financial aid department?

Manteca

Silver

Post by Manteca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 pm

JDByron31 wrote:How long does it usually take, after sending a negotiation letter, before you get a response? I also sent my letter, specifically, to the head of the financial aid department. Should I have sent it to the general financial aid department?
I've recieved responses within a couple of hours. That being said, I sent mine straight to the Dean.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theonerd

New

Post by theonerd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:31 pm

JDByron31 wrote:How long does it usually take, after sending a negotiation letter, before you get a response? I also sent my letter, specifically, to the head of the financial aid department. Should I have sent it to the general financial aid department?
It depends on the school, but you should usually send these things to Admissions office personnel.
For incoming merit-based awards, the financial aid office is usually not involved at most schools. The Admissions Committee generally chooses those who will receive merit-based awards, and what amounts they will receive.
That being said, if you sent it to FinAid and it needs to go elsewhere, they will likely forward it.

underwood15

New

Post by underwood15 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I have had no luck so far in negotiating scholarships...the most additional money I have gotten is an extra $1,000/year. All the schools I talked to said that more money will be available after deposits are due. Anyone else have any luck?

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:31 pm

underwood15 wrote:I have had no luck so far in negotiating scholarships...the most additional money I have gotten is an extra $1,000/year. All the schools I talked to said that more money will be available after deposits are due. Anyone else have any luck?
I had mild success, but the school I have deposited at also said more money would be available after the 4/1 deadline, and I have since emailed and asked for more but haven't heard back yet. I have heard many stories of increases after the deadline though.

Seriously, everyone should ask for more money. As long as you do so in a polite way, worst they will do is say no, and best case you get more $$$$

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:05 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DerekZoolander

New

Post by DerekZoolander » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 pm

I'm also trying to weigh when to ask again. I deposited on the deadline Friday, so today would be the first business day that they have an accurate "look" at what their current class is like (median GPA/LSAT, etc). I'm sure they have another deadline at the end of the month for late admits and off-the-waitling-list people.

Can't decide wether to see now or perhaps in a couple weeks...obviously don't want to badger but also want to get in while the money is liquidated again.

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 pm

DerekZoolander wrote:I'm also trying to weigh when to ask again. I deposited on the deadline Friday, so today would be the first business day that they have an accurate "look" at what their current class is like (median GPA/LSAT, etc). I'm sure they have another deadline at the end of the month for late admits and off-the-waitling-list people.

Can't decide wether to see now or perhaps in a couple weeks...obviously don't want to badger but also want to get in while the money is liquidated again.
I sent on 4/11 with a 4/1 deadline. So I gave them 10 days, but I can't say if this was the right call yet.

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:47 pm

I have an interview with UCLA on Friday. Today I got a full ride at Texas and I also have a $120k offer from USC. I'm pretty sure that if they don't specifically ask me where I've been accepted and how much I've been offered I'm going to bring it up anyways so they give me a good initial offer. Is this a good idea?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Presumptuous to send a second negotiation request immediately after getting notification that my scholarship had been increased after an appeal?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DerekZoolander

New

Post by DerekZoolander » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:29 pm

drawstring wrote:Presumptuous to send a second negotiation request immediately after getting notification that my scholarship had been increased after an appeal?
that's swag right there

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:20 am

Can a wait list be used as leverage or does it just make a school think that you'd be a flight risk? Because if the price is right, i would give up the wait list but somehow, i think the school would be offended if i tried to use a wait list as negotiation.

mellow

Bronze

Post by mellow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:36 am

milkandcheerios wrote:Can a wait list be used as leverage or does it just make a school think that you'd be a flight risk? Because if the price is right, i would give up the wait list but somehow, i think the school would be offended if i tried to use a wait list as negotiation.
That sounds like a terrible idea. A waitlist can't really be used as leverage since it could easily be a rejection. And it probably would come off like you consider being on x school's waitlist to be equal to, if not better than, being a student at y school.

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

drawstring wrote:Presumptuous to send a second negotiation request immediately after getting notification that my scholarship had been increased after an appeal?
I also want to know this. Seton Hall gave me 25k and after negotiating it's up to 35. That still leaves an additional 15 however, and I have a 'top 75% or 2.8' stipulation that I would like to get rid of. My parents are calling me crazy and think it's a bad idea and will make me look ungrateful/greedy, but I'm pretty sure its a good idea. Does anyone have experience renegotiating a scholarship after receiving a positive renogtiation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Has anyone had success with the UT scholarship matching program? What schools do they consider in this? I know it has a fair amount to do with overall COA.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm

CHICAGO HAS A SCHOLARSHIP NEGOTIATION DEADLINE. IT IS THIS FRIDAY.

I don't know if this has been posted ITT before, but I just wanted to make sure people knew because I didn't.

Does anyone know what time it is this Friday? I want to give CLS as much time as possible to get me any aid :?

Menes

New

Post by Menes » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 pm

logicspeaks wrote:I have an interview with UCLA on Friday. Today I got a full ride at Texas and I also have a $120k offer from USC. I'm pretty sure that if they don't specifically ask me where I've been accepted and how much I've been offered I'm going to bring it up anyways so they give me a good initial offer. Is this a good idea?
I think you'd be better served by waiting until after the interview, say the following Monday, to let UCLA know how you felt about the interview; then you should mention your other offers. I don't think they would ask you about your other offers, and if they do, tell them you'd be willing to email a pdf of your other offers to them on Monday.

Either way, congrats on a great cycle.
Last edited by Menes on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aight_123234

New

Post by aight_123234 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:Has anyone had success with the UT scholarship matching program? What schools do they consider in this? I know it has a fair amount to do with overall COA.
I used UT's Matching with an offer from WUSTL. Don't expect them to actually match the amount, but they definitely increased the original offer a fair amount.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shirosham

Bronze

Post by Shirosham » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:46 am

For those that are negotiating at schools with their first deposit already down... what are you writing to them? I got into a signifcantly better school with more money... but it's out of state...

Placed deposits for Santa Clara & Pepperdine and trying to get a better offer.
Last edited by Shirosham on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clemenza

New

Post by clemenza » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Could use some advice - is it possible to use specialty rankings as leverage for more scholarships. I've been admitted into all top environmental law programs with scholarships (2 with significant amount, the third not nearly as much), but would like to get more from the one that offered me less. I know that these schools are very competitive with each other when it comes to their enviro law programs, so it seems like it could work.

Thoughts?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 pm

clemenza wrote:Could use some advice - is it possible to use specialty rankings as leverage for more scholarships. I've been admitted into all top environmental law programs with scholarships (2 with significant amount, the third not nearly as much), but would like to get more from the one that offered me less. I know that these schools are very competitive with each other when it comes to their enviro law programs, so it seems like it could work.

Thoughts?
This seems stupid, since environmental law rankings don't correlate with the general US News rankings, which is what the schools actually care about.

clemenza

New

Post by clemenza » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:23 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
clemenza wrote:Could use some advice - is it possible to use specialty rankings as leverage for more scholarships. I've been admitted into all top environmental law programs with scholarships (2 with significant amount, the third not nearly as much), but would like to get more from the one that offered me less. I know that these schools are very competitive with each other when it comes to their enviro law programs, so it seems like it could work.

Thoughts?
This seems stupid, since environmental law rankings don't correlate with the general US News rankings, which is what the schools actually care about.
Not sure how accurate that is considering those specific programs is what draws the students to the school. They pride themselves on that program more than the others. Yes overall ranking is important, but they compete with each other to maintain that top enviro law ranking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”