Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Chriz

Bronze

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by Chriz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 am

Sheriff McLaw Dog wrote:Who should I contact regarding scholarships? Should I contact the Assistant Dean of admissions who contacted me to notify me of enrollment? Or should I contact the schools financial aid office? It seems almost obvious to contact the financial aid office, but they don't award the scholarships and aid. I feel like they're more in charge of processing the paperwork and providing assistance in filing for loans. It seems like the Assistant Dean of admissions would be more likely to be in contact with the people who are actually in charge of awarding grants and scholarships.

I was honestly expecting a much more clear picture of which school I intended to attend by this point, but there are a few schools, each with something nearly equal to offer when I take into account affordability, location, program, and culture all together. People seem successful at increasing their grant and scholarship offers, and if I can just get one of the four schools I'm still considering to step forward with a bit more, I think I'd go that way.
I just always negotiated by replying to the email with my scholarship information. Like, I appreciate the offer but I have competing offers. Usually they asked me to send them the offers.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Anyone have any sense of how many rounds of negotiations you can get away with? Like I already negotiated an increase, but it wasn't QUITE a big enough one...if they just upped it a little, I'd go. I don't want to push it and seem ungrateful, though. I also don't have any new cards to play.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:36 pm

If they don't negotiate, is it worth trying one more time, maybe adding something like I would enroll immeadiately if I got even $5k more a year?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm

What I've heard (I didn't try, so I don't know how effective this is) is that a good negotiation strategy is to put down multiple deposits in May/June/whenever deposits come due. Then tell the schools you are having SUCH a hard time deciding, that's why you deposited in multiple places, and that a little more $ would really help you make the decision. I knew people who even put down multiple 2nd deposits. The longer you hold out, the harder it will be for the school to get someone off the waitlist to accept (because who wants to change their mind in August?).

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 am

cinephile wrote:What I've heard (I didn't try, so I don't know how effective this is) is that a good negotiation strategy is to put down multiple deposits in May/June/whenever deposits come due. Then tell the schools you are having SUCH a hard time deciding, that's why you deposited in multiple places, and that a little more $ would really help you make the decision. I knew people who even put down multiple 2nd deposits. The longer you hold out, the harder it will be for the school to get someone off the waitlist to accept (because who wants to change their mind in August?).
I think this would be a strategy especially strong candidates who feel they've be shortchanged can use successfully (don't know if they should though). For everyone else, this is way too much risk. For all you know, schools someone's already deposited to might be less inclined to open up their wallets because that admit is practically snagged already. Personally, I think multiple deposits should be made only when the entire picture is not certain (i.e., you honestly cannot tell what scholly will look like).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32 am

cinephile wrote:What I've heard (I didn't try, so I don't know how effective this is) is that a good negotiation strategy is to put down multiple deposits in May/June/whenever deposits come due. Then tell the schools you are having SUCH a hard time deciding, that's why you deposited in multiple places, and that a little more $ would really help you make the decision. I knew people who even put down multiple 2nd deposits. The longer you hold out, the harder it will be for the school to get someone off the waitlist to accept (because who wants to change their mind in August?).
Yeah. We need to go to Spivey or someone for clarification. Or, I'm sure it's been covered somewhere on TLS, but I think 1st deposit isn't binding while 2nd deposit is or something loosely along those lines. My understanding is that the ABA allows law schools to require binding decisions after a certain date but not before it.

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32 am

Also some schools reserve the right to take away your admission if you do that

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 am

The Dark Shepard wrote:Also some schools reserve the right to take away your admission if you do that
Then you can always see the terms for your particular school.

But you're never fully bound to any decision. If you get off a waitlist elsewhere, even if you've put down a "binding" deposit, you can always decide to go to the school where you got in off the waitlist. This was really common, but I entered law school in 2011 (3L now). It's possible that law schools are getting increasingly desperate for warm bodies and are forcing people to withdraw from waitlists and preventing them from holding out. If so, law school is even more of a scam than I thought.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:05 am

cinephile wrote:
The Dark Shepard wrote:Also some schools reserve the right to take away your admission if you do that

But you're never fully bound to any decision. If you get off a waitlist elsewhere, even if you've put down a "binding" deposit, you can always decide to go to the school where you got in off the waitlist. This was really common, but I entered law school in 2011 (3L now). It's possible that law schools are getting increasingly desperate for warm bodies and are forcing people to withdraw from waitlists and preventing them from holding out. If so, law school is even more of a scam than I thought.
Yeah. We need to find the rules somewhere. But after whatever date law schools are allowed to make your decision "binding" then the only reasons you may break your agreement with said school is to (1) not attend any ABA accredited law school or (2) accept a new offer. To my understanding getting off of a waitlist is a new offer while an increase in scholarship is not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

Question: I have not gotten in to any schools that I am super excited about going. I can take the LSAT one more time, and I'm going to do that in June. I'm trying to get as much money as possible from the best school that I'm currently into that I "would" go to. But, I'm hoping to get off the waitlist somewhere, and if that doesn't happen, DEFERRING at the best school I've gotten into as a safety net in case I don't get into a better school when I reapply next year.

Is this a viable strategy? Do schools carry over scholarship offers on deferrals?

mathwhiz87

New

Post by mathwhiz87 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 am

gerrydawg wrote:Question: I have not gotten in to any schools that I am super excited about going. I can take the LSAT one more time, and I'm going to do that in June. I'm trying to get as much money as possible from the best school that I'm currently into that I "would" go to. But, I'm hoping to get off the waitlist somewhere, and if that doesn't happen, DEFERRING at the best school I've gotten into as a safety net in case I don't get into a better school when I reapply next year.

Is this a viable strategy? Do schools carry over scholarship offers on deferrals?
I believe this has been addressed before, and if I remember correctly, usually schools make any deferral binding (read: you commit to not applying to any other schools in the next cycle). Most schools also have pretty strict requirements for granting a deferral in the first place.

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:48 am

gerrydawg wrote:Question: I have not gotten in to any schools that I am super excited about going. I can take the LSAT one more time, and I'm going to do that in June. I'm trying to get as much money as possible from the best school that I'm currently into that I "would" go to. But, I'm hoping to get off the waitlist somewhere, and if that doesn't happen, DEFERRING at the best school I've gotten into as a safety net in case I don't get into a better school when I reapply next year.

I am not sure about carrying scholarship offers over. Usually if you defer though, they will not allow you to apply again next year or you will lose your spot. Deferring essentially means you are going to that school and you put a deposit down, but you just need to wait until next year for X reason. You could reapply next year, but you could not also defer your acceptance from this year as a "back up" plan.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 am

If you are retaking in June, why defer? You can just take the best school this year. If you are intent on sitting out a cycle, take the LSAT in Sept unless you're sure you'll be ready in time for June.

But June retakers are usually trying to either (1) get off a waitlist or (2) increase scholarships.

Yes. Some schools carry scholarships. Others don't. Some schools have binding stips that you can't apply elsewhere. Others don't. Most schools need a good reason for deferring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 am

cinephile wrote:

Bingo to all of this, except the withdraw from WL part. This is all in the LSAC Statement of Good Practices, fyi.

Also, you are never bound to go to any school -- they can not make you. You are simply bound to withdraw from the schools you have been admitted at.

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:45 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
cinephile wrote:

Bingo to all of this, except the withdraw from WL part. This is all in the LSAC Statement of Good Practices, fyi.

Also, you are never bound to go to any school -- they can not make you. You are simply bound to withdraw from the schools you have been admitted at.
So, it seems like I acutally would be able to do my plan, since the school cannot actually bind me to going there, and the only thing that I would be losing if I were to do this would be my deposit money...any maybe my integrity? So far, it does not seem that there is any structural impediment in the process that would prevent me from doing this.

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:20 am

yossarian71 wrote:

If you are retaking in June, why defer? You can just take the best school this year. If you are intent on sitting out a cycle, take the LSAT in Sept unless you're sure you'll be ready in time for June.

But June retakers are usually trying to either (1) get off a waitlist or (2) increase scholarships.

Yes. Some schools carry scholarships. Others don't. Some schools have binding stips that you can't apply elsewhere. Others don't. Most schools need a good reason for deferring.
How would a June retake provide you with leverage? I know they would appreciate the higher number, but unless you are on a WL, you've already had to withdraw deposits from other admitted schools by late-June, right? I've been curious about this.

omzster67

Bronze

Post by omzster67 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Quick question about negotiating with Michigan. I'm not sure which scholarships I should tell them of in hopes of getting them to give me any sort of money.

So far I have received:
Northwestern: 15/year
Vanderbilt: 25/year
UCLA: 20/year
UCLA: 35/year
Minnesota: Full

I'm assuming they would only care about Northwestern, but if anyone has any intel on how they view the other schools I would love any feedback before I submit my email to the finaid office.

Also, I've been admitted to UChicago (no $)...does my acceptance there have any leverage on Michigan? Should I even make note of that?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:01 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

How would a June retake provide you with leverage? I know they would appreciate the higher number, but unless you are on a WL, you've already had to withdraw deposits from other admitted schools by late-June, right? I've been curious about this.
I think the leverage is that you'll sit out and reapply to other schools. I don't know. I've never understood it either, but I keep getting told it's a viable option.

jbalsamo

New

Post by jbalsamo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:56 pm

Hey guys,

I just negotiated Cardozo's Scholarship offer from 30K, 36K a year with no stips. I was hoping to get a bit more. I have some competitive offers but I'm still waiting on about 10 schools. Should I wait on them before requesting more money again? What's the consensus on re-negotiating scholarships?

PattyCake

Bronze

Post by PattyCake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:04 pm

Now that it's getting closer to deposit deadlines, how long after receiving a scholarship offer is it appropriate to request an increase? I just got a nice offer but it's not enough to make me change my current plans. Not sure how long I should wait in case they need time to consider, but I don't want to just fire off a negotiation letter the next day like some kind of rabid wolf.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 pm

I was able to get my deposits "waived" at the school of my choice. PM if you want details.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

esther0123

Bronze

Post by esther0123 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:58 am

Is leveraging an acceptance from a higher ranked school (t4) a good idea when negotiating a scholarship from a lower ranked (t6) school (merit + need-based = ~90K)?

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:34 am

esther0123 wrote:Is leveraging an acceptance from a higher ranked school (t4) a good idea when negotiating a scholarship from a lower ranked (t6) school (merit + need-based = ~90K)?
NYU won't give you more money just because you were accepted to Columbia, a peer school.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:36 am

Lol t4

kobe1020

Bronze

Post by kobe1020 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Lol t4
+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?