Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wholahoop

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by wholahoop » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:26 pm

I have the same offer from USC and UCLA, but would definitely like to get more. Could I possibly ask USC for more by stating higher tuition costs than UCLA?

Like, hey I got accepted in UCLA with XXX dollars. I really want to go to USC but your tuition is higher so I'll have less debt at UCLA?

jdapplicant

Bronze

Post by jdapplicant » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:12 pm

wholahoop wrote:I have the same offer from USC and UCLA, but would definitely like to get more. Could I possibly ask USC for more by stating higher tuition costs than UCLA?

Like, hey I got accepted in UCLA with XXX dollars. I really want to go to USC but your tuition is higher so I'll have less debt at UCLA?
Are you still waiting on any $ offers from comparably ranked schools? Maybe wait for something else (eg $$ or $$$ from comparable schools) before you start negotiating. If not, I think your plan is still worth a shot and you should try it. It definitely seems plausible and the worst thing that would happen is they say no.

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:31 pm

Alright, I could use the unbiased eyes and wisdom of this thread to analyze my situation. Last week I wrote a polite, artfully-worded email to William & Mary inquiring about requesting additional merit aid. I told them why W&M was one of my top choices. They responded immediately requesting offers from the competing schools I cited. I sent the letters and they seemed very open to the idea of negotiating. Then, today, I got this email back from the Dean:
Good Morning ____,

We remain excited with your application and interest in William & Mary Law School. Congratulations on your credentials which resulted in the offer of admission! Your request for additional funds awarded by William & Mary has been reviewed. You remain on the list for continued consideration should additional funds become available. Currently, you have the _____ scholarship aid awarded in the letter dated ____, 2014. As a top ranked public law school, William & Mary remains a bargain when compared to most law schools in terms of both tuition and cost of living.

Know that we hope you will be among those we welcome to William & Mary Law School in August as a member of the Class of 2017.
Is this their polite way of giving me a firm no and closing the door on the subject? Or should I read this to mean that I may be eligible for more merit aid closer to the deposit deadline (which I think is 4/15) when they have a clearer picture of who will be accepting offers? If the answer is the latter, should I just keep quiet and hope that I hear from them, or is a follow-up email in a few weeks appropriate? I'm already planning on replying with a polite "thank you for your time and consideration" email.

wholahoop

New

Post by wholahoop » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:50 pm

jdapplicant wrote:
wholahoop wrote:I have the same offer from USC and UCLA, but would definitely like to get more. Could I possibly ask USC for more by stating higher tuition costs than UCLA?

Are you still waiting on any $ offers from comparably ranked schools? Maybe wait for something else (eg $$ or $$$ from comparable schools) before you start negotiating. If not, I think your plan is still worth a shot and you should try it. It definitely seems plausible and the worst thing that would happen is they say no.
Nope, all my T14's are waitlist or held (I definitely don't think I'd get money from Duke or Northwestern if I got accepted from Hold). I also didn't think to apply to any other comparable school since I got UCLA really early on. :(

I guess I could hold out and wait for a Held acceptance to play as leverage, but who knows when they'll get back to me?

Don't you lose out by negotiating too late in the cycle?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Do not do it by phone. You should email the dean, I believe, but you have to see what the protocol the individual school has. Never phone, though.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:53 pm

If I don't have any competing offers to use as leverage, is it worth appealing for more merit aid? The school in question is Seton Hall, I really want to go and will probably go regardless, but obviously I would like to get more money. Without another offer to use as leverage is it a pointless exercise that will just make me look like an ungrateful, greedy dick?

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:56 pm

SeriousLehigh wrote:If I don't have any competing offers to use as leverage, is it worth appealing for more merit aid? The school in question is Seton Hall, I really want to go and will probably go regardless, but obviously I would like to get more money. Without another offer to use as leverage is it a pointless exercise that will just make me look like an ungrateful, greedy dick?
It doesn't matter what you look like, you're accepted, just send an email anyway. And you're not being greedy, the situation is tough for law students in general. Tell them that you want to go but without more aid you feel that you will have significantly more economic hardship, and considering the state of employment for law students...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote: It doesn't matter what you look like, you're accepted, just send an email anyway. And you're not being greedy, the situation is tough for law students in general. Tell them that you want to go but without more aid you feel that you will have significantly more economic hardship, and considering the state of employment for law students...
Yeah, I figure I may as well. I am not really worried about how it will make me look, just wanted to know if there was precedent (anecdotal or otherwise) where people appealed and successfully negotiated with nothing other than "Thanks for the $$ but I need more, I am poor." If the answer had been a resounding no and it seemed that it would be an exercise in futility, I would probably not bother....but I didn't really anticipate that either. I am just really nervous about this and would love some guidance from those in the know! Thanks for your message.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:36 pm

NoDayButToday wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Do not do it by phone. You should email the dean, I believe, but you have to see what the protocol the individual school has. Never phone, though.
Why never phone? Would the same reason for not via phone mean "never in person" either?

Also, is it crass to actually state an amount offered by another school or the name of the other school itself? Like is it better to just say "One of your peer schools offered me a considerably higher amount; I would like to come to your school, but I cannot justify it when I have this other option. Would you consider raising your offer by X amount?" Or is it better to be more concrete? For example: "The University of Meh offered me $40,000 per year; I would like to come to the University of Blah, but as you can see, Meh offered me more and it would be hard to turn down. etc."

Also....timing? Like, better now, better in April, better after deposits are due?
On a phone call you are putting them on the spot to think of something. An email you are giving them more leeway, especially since they may have other things to do. In general, it's recommended that you email. They can answer you on their own time. Phone may put them off and you are more likely to be lowballed.

I think generally you should state the amount. I know for NYU and Berkeley, you are to produce the letter stating what you are offered.

In terms of timing, that I can't honestly say. I think you can start maybe April, and that way have time for a round of exchanges before the deposit date? Technically, aren't you supposed to put a deposit only in one school?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 pm

Are people receiving notifications of receipt of negotiation letters? Like, "Thanks for your note, we're glad you're still interested, we'll get back to you?"

Or is there generally just a week or two delay before response?

(sitting on just over a week since I sent a couple of emails... no word from either school)

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 am

Some schools get right back to you, easily within a week or so. Other schools leave you hanging for weeks.
For me, the ones that got back right away were eager to shoot me down.
It's ok, I've got thick skin, and one should expect first round negotiations to not go amazingly well from the get go.
We'll see how it really is after first deposits, when schools are both hard up to fill those seats and know that they have X amount of extra dollars to allocate. I wouldn't up someone's scholly from 75% to 100%+ without stips, just because they asked. Schools aren't dumb, per se, and many seem to have adjusted to the new reality of negotiations being a given.
Either that or they hate me :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:40 am

NoDayButToday wrote:
Theopliske8711 wrote:Do not do it by phone. You should email the dean, I believe, but you have to see what the protocol the individual school has. Never phone, though.
Also, is it crass to actually state an amount offered by another school or the name of the other school itself? Like is it better to just say "One of your peer schools offered me a considerably higher amount; I would like to come to your school, but I cannot justify it when I have this other option. Would you consider raising your offer by X amount?" Or is it better to be more concrete? For example: "The University of Meh offered me $40,000 per year; I would like to come to the University of Blah, but as you can see, Meh offered me more and it would be hard to turn down. etc."
From what I hear from my friends at T14 schools, they negotiated by stating the specific schools and amounts. Many schools asked them to submit paperwork. Some matched, some increased, some didn't.
I would also agree with NoDay on emailing over calling.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:42 am

yossarian71 wrote:
jebsterb wrote:So just because I don't think a straight answer was given:

Is now a bad time to start talking to admissions departments or should we wait until we put deposits in? Phone or e-mail?
Email. Writing is important. Before deposit deadlines. Once you've deposited, there isn't a ton of reason to throw money your way unless you have something WAY better.
^ basically, this. +100

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:48 am

patfeeney wrote:What happens when you received no money from a school you were accepted to, but the only way you could possibly afford the school would be if they covered at least a portion of tuition? I can't just get $160k entirely in loans to pay off NYU tuition.
I would say write the Dean of Admissions detailing your circumstances. It's better than not saying anything. They may be sympathetic and throw something, albeit small, your way. You should include that receiving "X" amount per year would make it more feasible. Are you looking at numbers like 10,000-15,000/yr? They may be quite open to that.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 am

So. If you're down to 2-3 schools, but you still need more aid, do you deposit to all of them, none of them? I've gotten some indication that more aid may be available after deposit deadlines, but will they be giving that aid to people who have or haven't deposited?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nodey

New

Post by nodey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 am

Anyone ever try using some sort of statistical analysis to negotiate? Are they receptive to this sort of stuff?

I have two full rides to schools that are not necessarily peer schools of the one id like to attend but do offer employment value nonetheless. I don't expect my preferred school to match that full ride, I just want them to increase my scholarship to the point at which an analysis would dictate they have equal value, per the employment opportunities they provide.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:04 am

anybody negotiate emory?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:48 pm

nodey wrote:Anyone ever try using some sort of statistical analysis to negotiate? Are they receptive to this sort of stuff?

I have two full rides to schools that are not necessarily peer schools of the one id like to attend but do offer employment value nonetheless. I don't expect my preferred school to match that full ride, I just want them to increase my scholarship to the point at which an analysis would dictate they have equal value, per the employment opportunities they provide.
I mean. I wouldn't provide charts, but I think explaining the logic you just spit would be alright. Typically if its not a peer school it won't be influential, but you're route is about the only route to take.

jebsterb

New

Post by jebsterb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 pm

yossarian71 wrote:So. If you're down to 2-3 schools, but you still need more aid, do you deposit to all of them, none of them? I've gotten some indication that more aid may be available after deposit deadlines, but will they be giving that aid to people who have or haven't deposited?
Quoting this because I'm in the same boat. Anyone?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marquis

Bronze

Post by Marquis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

jebsterb wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:So. If you're down to 2-3 schools, but you still need more aid, do you deposit to all of them, none of them? I've gotten some indication that more aid may be available after deposit deadlines, but will they be giving that aid to people who have or haven't deposited?
Quoting this because I'm in the same boat. Anyone?
+1

wholahoop

New

Post by wholahoop » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Anybody get a request for a phone call conversation after asking for more $$$? Will they be negotiating the amount with me? Asking me reasons why I want a higher scholarship, or testing me if I really do want the school?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:03 pm

wholahoop wrote:Anybody get a request for a phone call conversation after asking for more $$$? Will they be negotiating the amount with me? Asking me reasons why I want a higher scholarship, or testing me if I really do want the school?
Be prepared for all three

Sheriff McLaw Dog

New

Post by Sheriff McLaw Dog » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:59 am

Who should I contact regarding scholarships? Should I contact the Assistant Dean of admissions who contacted me to notify me of enrollment? Or should I contact the schools financial aid office? It seems almost obvious to contact the financial aid office, but they don't award the scholarships and aid. I feel like they're more in charge of processing the paperwork and providing assistance in filing for loans. It seems like the Assistant Dean of admissions would be more likely to be in contact with the people who are actually in charge of awarding grants and scholarships.

I was honestly expecting a much more clear picture of which school I intended to attend by this point, but there are a few schools, each with something nearly equal to offer when I take into account affordability, location, program, and culture all together. People seem successful at increasing their grant and scholarship offers, and if I can just get one of the four schools I'm still considering to step forward with a bit more, I think I'd go that way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”