Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jbabs

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by jbabs » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 pm

I originally had $72k from W&M, negotiated up to $87k. Three years of law school for (roughly) twenty grand: :mrgreen:

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:38 pm

jbabs wrote:I originally had $72k from W&M, negotiated up to $87k. Three years of law school for (roughly) twenty grand: :mrgreen:
By simply asking or did you employ leverage?

salsahips

Bronze

Post by salsahips » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:18 am

Do you think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for leverage against Georgetown or Vandy? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area?

And if you don't think it'll help, do you think it'll hurt?

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 am

salsahips wrote:Do you think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for leverage against Georgetown or Vandy? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area?

Consensus is it never hurts. What are they going to do, take away your acceptance? Worst thing that happens, unless you manage to somehow be a monumental dick about it, is they say "no".

That said, it's always worth a shot, but I wouldn't expect much given that, as you've said, they aren't peers.

jbabs

New

Post by jbabs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:23 pm

splitbrain wrote:
jbabs wrote:I originally had $72k from W&M, negotiated up to $87k. Three years of law school for (roughly) twenty grand: :mrgreen:
I used Minnesota's $75,000 for leverage.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Hey TLSers... getting ready to send in my "negotiation" e-mails in a bit here, would love some wise advice on these... Here's my situation

School A (bottom T2 School) offered me $10k/year
School B (top T2 School) offered me $18k/first year only (random??)
School C (T1 School) offered me $16K/three years (out of state)
A few other lower t2 Schools have offered me 20k/year

I'm interested in A,B & C, and really am strongly considering all of them equally. How would you negotiate extending your scholly for all 3 years? I'm just a little confused as to the wording to use because I already have scholarships. I've read through this entire thread but would love some additional advice. If anyone else is drafting negotiation letters and wants to swap ideas PM me.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:55 pm

jbabs wrote:
splitbrain wrote:
I used Minnesota's $75,000 for leverage.
Thank you :)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:59 pm

FYI it's possible to negotiate for merit aid upon being accepted ED with no merit aid. So for example, you get a June/October score back you know is good enough to get in ED MVP with no $$ and don't wanna put all your dice on the next score (as in, waiting to apply assuming your score will be higher), ED, get in, take LSAT again, submit score to school you've been accepted to, and profit. Srsly werkd fer me.

wamanda

New

Post by wamanda » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:18 pm

vkgarrett wrote:Hey TLSers... getting ready to send in my "negotiation" e-mails in a bit here, would love some wise advice on these... Here's my situation

School A (bottom T2 School) offered me $10k/year
School B (top T2 School) offered me $18k/first year only (random??)
School C (T1 School) offered me $16K/three years (out of state)
A few other lower t2 Schools have offered me 20k/year

I'm interested in A,B & C, and really am strongly considering all of them equally. How would you negotiate extending your scholly for all 3 years? I'm just a little confused as to the wording to use because I already have scholarships. I've read through this entire thread but would love some additional advice. If anyone else is drafting negotiation letters and wants to swap ideas PM me.
For School B, all you really need to do is tell them about School C's offer. C is substantially higher ranked than B, so this shouldn't really be an issue. Just say something like:

I received your generous merit aid offer and would like to thank you sincerely for the award. However, I just received an offer from C for $48,000 (no need to break down per year because this way highlights the vast difference in award amounts). Right now, even with B's generous merit aid offer, it is looking significantly more financially feasible to attend C. Still, I very much admire B as an institution and would love the opportunity to attend if any additional merit aid might become available to me.

You may also want to include reasons why you like B so much, as well as possible advantages C has that are relevant to you, without going over the top. For example, you might mention that C has a stronger LRAP program, which might bring down the costs more or something. However, don't mention any disadvantages that C has, like charging you out of state tuition. But definitely end by emphasizing how you would be grateful for the opportunity to attend B if you can make it work financially.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrl

New

Post by nygrl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:30 pm

salsahips wrote:Do you think a full ride at University of Miami, given that I have many pull factors and connections cause its my hometown and I would have the benefit of living at home, is alright to use for leverage against Georgetown or Vandy? They are obviously not peer schools, and I would mention that to them. But would it be a good idea to highlight the huge difference in financial help and the big ties I have to the area?

I'm not sure where else you applied, but I would first try negotiating the UM scholly with other peer schools to see if you can get those offers upped at all. Then, continue negotiating with peer schools, moving up the rankings, until you reach your target schools. If you got into Vandy/GT I would imagine you would get some money from some T1 schools as well. Granted, this is coming from a 0L who has yet to negotiate, but from what I've read/heard it sounds like a decent approach. Good luck!

ACGator2012

New

Post by ACGator2012 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Has any one done multiple negotiations with a single school? How much time do you wait in between asking for another increase?

Elliott_Smith

Bronze

Post by Elliott_Smith » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 pm

You can theoretically just continue to bring back competing offers.

Some schools will only allow you to do that once though (I think Michigan?)

wamanda

New

Post by wamanda » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

ACGator2012 wrote:Has any one done multiple negotiations with a single school? How much time do you wait in between asking for another increase?
Yes, generally you ask for an increase any time you get a new (and hopefully better) offer.

Also, don't forget--you can easily use an acceptance with no scholarship at a higher ranked school to get money from a lower ranked school. It doesn't always have to be a competing scholarship offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 pm

How do they vet your claims? Aren't they lying when at first they say, "We are unable to extend you a scholarship offer" or "this is the most we can give you".

"stanford is giving me a full ride. i like your school better, so why not kick in some cash?"

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:29 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:How do they vet your claims? Aren't they lying when at first they say, "We are unable to extend you a scholarship offer" or "this is the most we can give you".*
*At this time.

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 am

I'm a bit confused by the entire process. Many people have received a scholarship offer with their initial acceptance. For me, however, that has not happened. I know that some of my schools (such as Cornell), unless you are in the running for the huge schollies, do not offer aid until you've submitted your FASFA and all that jazz - so you don't know for a few months.

Should I be waiting until I get offers to start the process? Do I email Cornell and tell them that I've gotten into better schools and see how they respond?

yepyepyep

Bronze

Post by yepyepyep » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 am

Smumps wrote:I'm a bit confused by the entire process. Many people have received a scholarship offer with their initial acceptance. For me, however, that has not happened. I know that some of my schools (such as Cornell), unless you are in the running for the huge schollies, do not offer aid until you've submitted your FASFA and all that jazz - so you don't know for a few months.

Should I be waiting until I get offers to start the process? Do I email Cornell and tell them that I've gotten into better schools and see how they respond?
+1...was wondering the same thing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

backwards54

Bronze

Post by backwards54 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:01 am

Hey everyone!

I have a basic question about scholarships negotiation. It may sound dumb but I was thinking about it randomly (note: I do not want to employ that strategy, I'm just wondering!)

Let's say for instance I apply at U. of Miami and UCLA. Let's pretend Miami offer me a 75k$ scholarship (25 000$/year) and UCLA offers me the same thing. If my inner goal is to go to UCLA and to have them upgrade my scholarship, it obviously is not a big leverage tool because it's the same amount and U. of Miami is less prestigious and less well-ranked than UCLA. So writing them an email negotiating with these numbers would be pretty useless.

However, if (just want to mention again that i'm not going to do , I'm really just wondering what happens if someone does it) I would write to UCLA and pretend that U. of Miami are offering me a full ride scholarship, does UCLA has any way of finding out? Is it common practice for law schools to call other law schools to verify these kind of statements?

tolson1

Bronze

Post by tolson1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:10 am

backwards54 wrote:Hey everyone!

I have a basic question about scholarships negotiation. It may sound dumb but I was thinking about it randomly (note: I do not want to employ that strategy, I'm just wondering!)

Let's say for instance I apply at U. of Miami and UCLA. Let's pretend Miami offer me a 75k$ scholarship (25 000$/year) and UCLA offers me the same thing. If my inner goal is to go to UCLA and to have them upgrade my scholarship, it obviously is not a big leverage tool because it's the same amount and U. of Miami is less prestigious and less well-ranked than UCLA. So writing them an email negotiating with these numbers would be pretty useless.

However, if (just want to mention again that i'm not going to do , I'm really just wondering what happens if someone does it) I would write to UCLA and pretend that U. of Miami are offering me a full ride scholarship, does UCLA has any way of finding out? Is it common practice for law schools to call other law schools to verify these kind of statements?

Ah, a fellow lawyer that will most definitely be contributing to that "bad rep" lawyers have! :) In all seriousness, I do not know at all. That is a good question though, hopefully someone will be able to answer..

dolfan0516

Bronze

Post by dolfan0516 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 am

My guess is they ask for proof. Like faxing or scanning and emailing a copy of the letter? Otherwise I dont know. But dont think it would be worth the risk in case they find out the truth

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 am

Generally schools ask to see a copy of the offer letter. Also, people say "it's not like they are going to revoke your acceptance." What they mean is, they aren't going to revoke your acceptance unless you are a total asshat who demonstrates that they shouldn't be a lawyer. If you did this hypothetical you would be the definition of the category "total asshat who demonstrates that they shouldn't be a lawyer."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ClassyKelly

New

Post by ClassyKelly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:25 am

Wake Forest offered 30K each year and U of GA offered nothing. Is it reasonable to request a comparable award from U of GA?

captainwasabi09

Bronze

Post by captainwasabi09 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I just received $75k from W&M and I'm considering negotiating for more. I haven't heard back from other schools yet, though, so do you think I should wait? Also I'm a 173/4.0x

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:16 pm

There was a case at Michigan where someone tried this and, since the other offer sounded a little fishy, Michigan called the other school and found out that the applicant was lying. Pretty safe to say that that person did not attend either of those two schools. I have a feeling most admissions officers can pick out this type of stuff and will not hesitate to verify their hunches.

Cornelius

Silver

Post by Cornelius » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:49 pm

ClassyKelly wrote:Wake Forest offered 30K each year and U of GA offered nothing. Is it reasonable to request a comparable award from U of GA?
ALWAYS worth a shot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”