Negotiating scholarships works!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vbc515

New

Re: Negotiating scholarships works!!!!!

Post by vbc515 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating with Emory? I called Admissions to ask what their policy was and they told me to write the dean with whathever information I thought was relevant...but from what I've been reading on TLS and otherwise, apparently Emory goes back and forth between a strict non-negotiation policy to a policy where you are welcome to try, but highly unlikely to be successful. Anyone have a personal experience or insight they could share with me? Thanks!

kroakstool

Bronze

Post by kroakstool » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:05 pm

vbc515 wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating with Emory? I called Admissions to ask what their policy was and they told me to write the dean with whathever information I thought was relevant...but from what I've been reading on TLS and otherwise, apparently Emory goes back and forth between a strict non-negotiation policy to a policy where you are welcome to try, but highly unlikely to be successful. Anyone have a personal experience or insight they could share with me? Thanks!
I emailed them with a better offer from a higher ranked school and didn't get a boost of any type. I might try again later but I'm not holding my breath.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 pm

This might have already been answered but what is a good time to email again after not hearing anything after you email your negotiation letter...one week?....two weeks?

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:16 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:This might have already been answered but what is a good time to email again after not hearing anything after you email your negotiation letter...one week?....two weeks?
I got a letter about 2 weeks after i sent my initial request... so maybe wait 3 weeks?

jlz111

New

Post by jlz111 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Does anyone have a negotiating letter ? I just got a scholarship from Brooklyn and want to see if I can get one from miami

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rahrah

New

Post by rahrah » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:38 pm

jlz111 wrote:Does anyone have a negotiating letter ? I just got a scholarship from Brooklyn and want to see if I can get one from miami
Check pages 17 & 18

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Would it be an alright idea to say that "Without the stipulations being removed, I will not be able to commit to this school and would ask for my application to be withdrawn".

I received the full ride scholly to Iowa with the top 1/3 stipulation. There really is no way I see myself there without the stipulations removed, so does this sound like an alright negotiation tactic to ask for your application to be withdrawn if they don't remove the stips?

advocate1

New

Post by advocate1 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Any advice on how to incorporate these things into a letter?

Admission to t-14's
Full tuition at t-30's
GPA increase of more than .05 since they accepted me (this is the one that I haven't seen much if anything on)

Thank you!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:58 pm

advocate1 wrote:Any advice on how to incorporate these things into a letter?

Admission to t-14's
Full tuition at t-30's
GPA increase of more than .05 since they accepted me (this is the one that I haven't seen much if anything on)

Thank you!
I don't mean to sound like a dick, but you got into a t-14 and received a full-ride at a t-30, and because of this, I figure that you must be kind of bright. What's up with everyone asking for letter templates and what not? Can nobody draft a letter nowadays? When I wrote mine, I just did it on my own, and I was successful. Just come across as polite and professional, and use some common sense. Make it original.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 pm

buckythebadger wrote:Would it be an alright idea to say that "Without the stipulations being removed, I will not be able to commit to this school and would ask for my application to be withdrawn".

I received the full ride scholly to Iowa with the top 1/3 stipulation. There really is no way I see myself there without the stipulations removed, so does this sound like an alright negotiation tactic to ask for your application to be withdrawn if they don't remove the stips?
That sounds too aggressive. I would try "if the stipulations cannot be removed, I would find myself in a difficult financial situation and would be forced to explore other options" or something. I can definitely see where your approach would be more effective, but in general I would recommend not being so forceful when asking for money.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:04 pm

How hard is it to lower the amount of $$$ in exchange for reduced or no stipulations at all???

landla

Bronze

Post by landla » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:52 pm

noleknight16 wrote:How hard is it to lower the amount of $$$ in exchange for reduced or no stipulations at all???
Rather than you suggesting to give up the money, I'd suggest telling them that you will find it difficult to attend with the stipulation. They may say sure and remove it with the same amount (especially if you tell them of better offers) or say sure but we're lowering your amount (I haven't seen this anywhere on TLS, but it is possible I guess) - but you don't want to be the one that suggests less money.
bobbyh1919 wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Would it be an alright idea to say that "Without the stipulations being removed, I will not be able to commit to this school and would ask for my application to be withdrawn".

That sounds too aggressive. I would try "if the stipulations cannot be removed, I would find myself in a difficult financial situation and would be forced to explore other options" or something. I can definitely see where your approach would be more effective, but in general I would recommend not being so forceful when asking for money.
I was going to suggest the same. Phrase it with positives rather than negatives.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 pm

:|
Last edited by mtyler19 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newtothegame

New

Post by newtothegame » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Admittedly don't know much about this whole process...but does anyone know if $20k a year at W&L would be something I could use as even the slightest leverage to draw some $ from schools like GW and BU?

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:44 pm

newtothegame wrote:Admittedly don't know much about this whole process...but does anyone know if $20k a year at W&L would be something I could use as even the slightest leverage to draw some $ from schools like GW and BU?
It might...they aren't TOO far apart in the rankings. You might be able to get 10k outta one of them. It is absolutely worth asking...

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:59 pm

Just negotiated from 0 to 20K per year as a PT student at Suffolk thanks to this thread.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:04 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:

I disagree. I prefer to cut the bs. They know exactly what you're doing. Softening the blow invites more hemming and hawwing (and usually long emails from admissions telling you how great their school is even though they can't give you more money) and is basically just a waste of everyone's time. I'd stick with your original sentiment, and add a note that you're just doing your best to be a "smart shopper/consumer" when it comes to your legal education.

I haven't received responses from my outgoing negotiation emails yet, and don't yet have any results to back up (or refute) the above suggestion. It's just my opinion.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:

I disagree. I prefer to cut the bs. They know exactly what you're doing. Softening the blow invites more hemming and hawwing (and usually long emails from admissions telling you how great their school is even though they can't give you more money) and is basically just a waste of everyone's time. I'd stick with your original sentiment, and add a note that you're just doing your best to be a "smart shopper/consumer" when it comes to your legal education.

I haven't received responses from my outgoing negotiation emails yet, and don't yet have any results to back up (or refute) the above suggestion. It's just my opinion.
That's how I felt as well. I know for sure that I won't attend without the stipulations being removed, so why soften my argument when I have nothing to lose? I feel like a lot of students make a half hearted attempt when trying to negotiate. So adcoms may just simply keep their offer on the table with the feeling that they still will probably matriculate to their respective schools. By giving them the ultimatum of removing the stipulations or withdrawing my application, I put the pressure back on them if they really want to me to attend their school.

Any other opinions on this would be appreciated. I've still yet to send out the email

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:36 pm

buckythebadger wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:

That's how I felt as well. I know for sure that I won't attend without the stipulations being removed, so why soften my argument when I have nothing to lose? I feel like a lot of students make a half hearted attempt when trying to negotiate. So adcoms may just simply keep their offer on the table with the feeling that they still will probably matriculate to their respective schools. By giving them the ultimatum of removing the stipulations or withdrawing my application, I put the pressure back on them if they really want to me to attend their school.

Any other opinions on this would be appreciated. I've still yet to send out the email
What about instead of thinking of it as "forceful" think of it as factual. My letter to the financial aid was more of a.... "as you know, the economy is really rough, and unfortunately finances have to play a large part of my final law school decision" As far as the stipulations, maybe include something about how competitive law school is and how unsure the economy is, and maybe in a different you would feel comfortable taking it with the stipulations, but it's a risky choice with stipulations and the way the job market is... I wouldn't say that your application needs to be withdrawn because who knows what they will come back with... just be honest and practical.

vkgarrett

Bronze

Post by vkgarrett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 pm

And just for reference, I did get my scholarship tripled!! :)

kakaa001

New

Post by kakaa001 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Got my 18k/nonrenewable scholarship (first year only) changed to an 18k/renewable scholarship with a 10k-first year additional bonus!!

Thanks to everyone who posts in this thread! The success stories and helpful tips are much appreciated!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Would anyone mind reading over my letter real quick? :D

USMCMatt

Bronze

Post by USMCMatt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:32 pm

mtyler19 wrote:Would anyone mind reading over my letter real quick? :D

sure...you can PM me if you like. I'm riding a desk today.

mtyler19

Bronze

Post by mtyler19 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
mtyler19 wrote:Would anyone mind reading over my letter real quick? :D

sure...you can PM me if you like. I'm riding a desk today.
:D Thanks!! PM'd

Dead Parrot

New

Post by Dead Parrot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:04 pm

Would Kentucky be considered a "peer" school for trying to negotiate a better scholarship from Penn State?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”