International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freekick

Re: International Applicants 2016-17 cycle

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:59 am

madxkings wrote:
galeatus wrote:
freekick wrote:Would be great if we start posting our outcomes school-wise. We could even compile it all later like the 2014-15 thread did.

I am a Jan applicant and have nothing so far.

Yeah I might get a spreadsheet up later or something, the 14-15 spreadsheet was incredibly helpful.

Fwiw, 171/AA, applied late Nov/Early Dec, dinged at Cornell and Penn, in at NU and GULC, still waiting on Duke/Berkeley/H/CCN

Checking in as well and I have a pretty similar profile, 172/AA, but I applied mid-Jan. Got dinged at Cornell today, but I'm in at Vanderbilt. Waiting to hear back from other schools!

So about that. Did you interview?

madxkings

Postby madxkings » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:37 am

freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
galeatus wrote:
freekick wrote:Would be great if we start posting our outcomes school-wise. We could even compile it all later like the 2014-15 thread did.

Yeah I might get a spreadsheet up later or something, the 14-15 spreadsheet was incredibly helpful.

Fwiw, 171/AA, applied late Nov/Early Dec, dinged at Cornell and Penn, in at NU and GULC, still waiting on Duke/Berkeley/H/CCN

Checking in as well and I have a pretty similar profile, 172/AA, but I applied mid-Jan. Got dinged at Cornell today, but I'm in at Vanderbilt. Waiting to hear back from other schools!

Not for Vanderbilt, no.

freekick

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:39 am

madxkings wrote:
freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Not for Vanderbilt, no.

And Cornell?

madxkings

Postby madxkings » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:41 am

freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Not for Vanderbilt, no.

And Cornell?

Not for Cornell either, but I've got an interview with Georgetown.

How are the rest of your cycles going? Looking for some reassurance because I'm really unsure about how international applicants fare.

freekick

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:44 am

madxkings wrote:
freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Not for Vanderbilt, no.

And Cornell?

How are the rest of your cycles going? Looking for some reassurance because I'm really unsure about how international applicants fare.

As for me, in at NDLS and interviewing at Cornell. January applicant. Waiting to hear on all other apps.

JDrat

Postby JDrat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:52 am

madxkings wrote:
freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
freekick wrote:
madxkings wrote:
galeatus wrote:

Not for Vanderbilt, no.

And Cornell?

Congrats on Vandy! I got dinged at Cornell, NU (erstwhile top choice), WLed at BC. In at Emory (AJD) and GW with some $$. Stats are 167/Superior.

madxkings

Postby madxkings » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:12 am

JDrat wrote:
Congrats on Vandy! I got dinged at Cornell, NU (erstwhile top choice), WLed at BC. In at Emory (AJD) and GW with some $$. Stats are 167/Superior.

Congrats on the $$! And really sorry about Cornell and NU, but it looks like you've got some good options and the money is so important. Starting to freak out over scholarships, tbh.

JDrat

Postby JDrat » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:34 am

madxkings wrote:
JDrat wrote:

Congrats on the $$! And really sorry about Cornell and NU, but it looks like you've got some good options and the money is so important. Starting to freak out over scholarships, tbh.

Yep! Totally relatable. Wish you the best of luck for the rest of the cycle. I'm sure you will crush it with your 172 at the remaining T14 schools.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:49 am

Hello again people! I applied through Jan first half. In at GWU with 105k, SMU with 72k, Vandy and W&L with 112.5. WLed at UCLA. Waiting for the rest. Good luck to all. Am 167/Superior.

myrik

Postby myrik » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Last edited by myrik on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

freekick

Postby freekick » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 pm

myrik wrote:Hey all - Canadian applicant here, trying to figure out if we count as International or if our GPA counts for their law school numbers...

I've looked a bit over the internet and couldn't find the answer, any chance someone here knows? Mainly trying to figure out if my GPA is going to be considered by admissions officers. I don't have a rating of AA/Superior/etc., LSAC shows my full GPA

You are technically international but your GPA will count since LSAC has kept it numerical. This makes your outcomes slightly more predictable as compared to international applicants with a GPA rating. All the best.

pleasesendhelp

Postby pleasesendhelp » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:05 am

Dinged at Cornell, UMich, UPenn

In at Emory with basically full scholly, *not Woodruff.

Held at GULC after alumni interview

Interviewed (recorded and likely used for entertainment) at Northwestern. Avoided the WL/Ding wave today.

My actual GPA is super low, so I think that's been hurting me a lot. I was very surprised I even got an AA.

170/AA/Non-URM/Avg. Softs

I don't think this info really helps anyone lol, sorry y'all

myrik

Postby myrik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:51 am

freekick wrote:You are technically international but your GPA will count since LSAC has kept it numerical. This makes your outcomes slightly more predictable as compared to international applicants with a GPA rating. All the best.

Thanks! This is really good to know, helps me ballpark how this cycle will go. Good luck to you too.

potatocowpower

Postby potatocowpower » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:15 am

High 170s/AA

Wait listed at Cornell, Penn, Northwestern
Dinged at Michigan

RIP self-esteem

pitter

Postby pitter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:24 am

I am a US citizen but did my UG in Asia. Would being a citizen count as a positive factor in admission? My lsac gpa is 3.86 so I am pretty confident that I would receive a 'superior'.
Last edited by pitter on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

freekick

Postby freekick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:27 am

pitter wrote:I am an US citizen but did my UG in Asia. Would being a citizen count as a positive factor in admission? My lsac gpa is 3.86 so I am pretty confident that I would receive a 'superior'.

It will count for a lot coz you are not an international applicant and wouldn't pose possible immigration issues. You pose no risk to the law school and the government.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 am

freekick wrote:
pitter wrote:I am an US citizen but did my UG in Asia. Would being a citizen count as a positive factor in admission? My lsac gpa is 3.86 so I am pretty confident that I would receive a 'superior'.

It will count for a lot coz you are not an international applicant and wouldn't pose possible immigration issues. You pose no risk to the law school and the government.

tbh, i'm not sure if us citizenship would matter much for adcoms, as i don't think they are being cognizant of employment issues while making admissions decisions.

also, 3.86 is v high gpa for an asian ug so def superior. can you post or pm ug country/major?

pitter

Postby pitter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 am

freekick wrote:

I am a little confused. I've heard that what determines international is not citizenship but where you got your ud. By that logic wouldn't I still be counted as an international? I've been warned that admission for those in international status is harder.
Last edited by pitter on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pitter

Postby pitter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:39 am

appind wrote:
freekick wrote:

tbh, i'm not sure if us citizenship would matter much for adcoms, as i don't think they are being cognizant of employment issues while making admissions decisions.

also, 3.86 is v high gpa for an asian ug so def superior. can you post or pm ug country/major?

I graduated from a (pretty well known) college in east Asia majoring in Economics. I initially wanted to do masters/doctorate in economics so my Econ grade was all As and my school gave pluses..
Last edited by pitter on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

freekick

Postby freekick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:42 am

pitter wrote:
freekick wrote:

I am a little confused. I've heard that what determines international is not citizenship but where you got your ud. By that logic wouldn't instill be counted as an international? I've been warned that admission for those in international status is harder.

Two classic cases of International applicants are:
A non-resident alien with non-US UG
A non-American student with American UG

Citizenship, not residency, is determinative of international status.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:48 am

pitter wrote:
freekick wrote:

I am a little confused. I've heard that what determines international is not citizenship but where you got your ud. By that logic wouldn't I still be counted as an international? I've been warned that admission for those in international status is harder.

naturalized or by-birth? it may matter i think.
i think if you have an international ug, then you're international for admissions as you don't have gpa. i think not having gpa is what makes admission harder for international category.

ssolli

Postby ssolli » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 am

freekick wrote:
pitter wrote:
freekick wrote:

I am a little confused. I've heard that what determines international is not citizenship but where you got your ud. By that logic wouldn't instill be counted as an international? I've been warned that admission for those in international status is harder.

What about a US citizen who did UG abroad and then came back to the US? I'm American but my degree is from the UK (hence no LSAC GPA). Would I still count as an "international applicant"?

pitter

Postby pitter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:03 am

appind wrote:
pitter wrote:
freekick wrote:

i think if you have an international ug, then you're international for admissions as you don't have gpa. i think not having gpa is what makes admission harder for international category.

By birth! Could you explain why this matters? So to clarify, albeit my us citizenship, due to my non-us ud gpa, I will still count as an 'international' , which means 3,86 gpa loses its competitiveness...right?

freekick

Postby freekick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 am

ssolli wrote:
freekick wrote:
pitter wrote:
freekick wrote:

What about a US citizen who did UG abroad and then came back to the US? I'm American but my degree is from the UK (hence no LSAC GPA). Would I still count as an "international applicant"?

Nope. Your UG is international but your "applicant" status remains national because of your citizenship. I think there is some confusion about the meaning of 'international' wrt to applicant status. Like I said, the key is citizenship. Where one's UG was is immaterial. That said, absence of a numerical GPA does make a difference even for a national applicant because you are not helping GPA medians. So to that extent you are at a slight disadvantage.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:13 am

pitter wrote:
appind wrote:
pitter wrote:
freekick wrote:

By birth! Could you explain why this matters? So to clarify, albeit my us citizenship, due to my non-us ud gpa, I will still count as an 'international' , which means 3,86 gpa loses its competitiveness...right?

i don't think your 3.86 loses value because no gpa. i think usually international gpa are on the lower side than american gpa, and that's where disadvantage for internationals mainly comes from. i think the only way by birth vs nat citizenship may be different for adcom is in the way of life story. i don't exactly know how adcomm differentiate between american citizens who have intnl ug vs foreign citizens with intnl ug.

lack of much data about intnl ug also makes the 'international' category somewhat nebulous.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”