George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
charles117
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby charles117 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 pm

aaron1621 wrote:Is it too late to apply?


nah, their application is open until something like june I think

Pinkpanda24
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby Pinkpanda24 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Anyone on here coming to the open house next weekend? Traveling by myself from the Midwest and hoping it'll be worth it lol

UMD121
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby UMD121 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:27 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:Anyone on here coming to the open house next weekend? Traveling by myself from the Midwest and hoping it'll be worth it lol



I'll be there.... Can someone who went to the first one let us know what it entailed. The description online isn't really organized or comprehensive. Thanks.

Army_of_blood
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby Army_of_blood » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:

marniemadden
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby marniemadden » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:46 pm

UMD121 wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:Anyone on here coming to the open house next weekend? Traveling by myself from the Midwest and hoping it'll be worth it lol



I'll be there.... Can someone who went to the first one let us know what it entailed. The description online isn't really organized or comprehensive. Thanks.


I went to the first one. Some of the events may be slightly out of order. Breakfast, then an intro from the associate dean (the dean was sick, sadly). Then a great mock lecture. Then some of the admissions staff presented with statistics and the like. Then I believe we had lunch, tables of 8 or so people with a professor (mine was the former dean) and a current student. Then a quick tour. Then we had two Q&As, one with four current students, one with four alumni. Then I believe closing remarks. Both breakfast and lunch were good-- basic continental breakfast buffet (bagels, fruit, pastries, OJ, coffee), lunch was soup, entree-sized taco salad, and cheesecake and lemon tarts for dessert (I can't remember the order of activities but I can remember what we ate lol).

The facilities aren't fancy-- if you want that in the DC area, go to American, pay more money for a lower ranking. But the open house was the deciding factor for me, and visiting made me really excited to be a lawyer. I came from New York and was able to stay with family so it wasn't super expensive (got cheap train tix) but they did reimburse me for travel.

marniemadden
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby marniemadden » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:Anyone on here coming to the open house next weekend? Traveling by myself from the Midwest and hoping it'll be worth it lol


I replied to UMD121, see above! I know it wasn't too detailed, it was a busy weekend for me and there was a lot, but I def think it was worth the trip and it was the deciding factor for me.

LawBuckeye12
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby LawBuckeye12 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:

You didn't want to apply because you saw the name of one of the most influential Supreme Court justices of all time? Sorry I'm sure you as a 0L know more about the constitution than him. Sotomoyer, RBG, and Kagan all attended the dedication for the school and have nothing but great things to say about the idea.

I'm sure your gonna have a great career in law though and know more than everyone.

Pinkpanda24
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby Pinkpanda24 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:30 pm

marniemadden wrote:
UMD121 wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:Anyone on here coming to the open house next weekend? Traveling by myself from the Midwest and hoping it'll be worth it lol



I'll be there.... Can someone who went to the first one let us know what it entailed. The description online isn't really organized or comprehensive. Thanks.


I went to the first one. Some of the events may be slightly out of order. Breakfast, then an intro from the associate dean (the dean was sick, sadly). Then a great mock lecture. Then some of the admissions staff presented with statistics and the like. Then I believe we had lunch, tables of 8 or so people with a professor (mine was the former dean) and a current student. Then a quick tour. Then we had two Q&As, one with four current students, one with four alumni. Then I believe closing remarks. Both breakfast and lunch were good-- basic continental breakfast buffet (bagels, fruit, pastries, OJ, coffee), lunch was soup, entree-sized taco salad, and cheesecake and lemon tarts for dessert (I can't remember the order of activities but I can remember what we ate lol).

The facilities aren't fancy-- if you want that in the DC area, go to American, pay more money for a lower ranking. But the open house was the deciding factor for me, and visiting made me really excited to be a lawyer. I came from New York and was able to stay with family so it wasn't super expensive (got cheap train tix) but they did reimburse me for travel.

Thank you for this!!! Lol what food is there is very important so thank you for including that :P

griffins94
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby griffins94 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:28 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:

You didn't want to apply because you saw the name of one of the most influential Supreme Court justices of all time? Sorry I'm sure you as a 0L know more about the constitution than him. Sotomoyer, RBG, and Kagan all attended the dedication for the school and have nothing but great things to say about the idea.

I'm sure your gonna have a great career in law though and know more than everyone.


Much more than a great career in law. I'd bet that Army_of_blood might just be the next great SCOTUS justice after attending Tulane or Rutgers. Those fine institutions should consider themselves lucky to have you :roll:

onecallthats all
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 am

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby onecallthats all » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:


Regardless of your political ideology, refusing to apply to a law school because of who it is named after proves the hypocrisy of the left. His name was so offensive to you, you refused to even apply. Naming a school after an influential SC judge is nothing new. Take ASU for example. But I am certain the name Sotomayer did not trigger you near to the degree that Scalia did. Good thing for you is that there are plenty of law schools that surely have a plethora of safe spaces for you to hide in to avoid being intellectually challenged. Certainly Santa Clara or Pepperdine are in your future, I am certain you would fit in there.

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:30 am

onecallthats all wrote:
Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:


Regardless of your political ideology, refusing to apply to a law school because of who it is named after proves the hypocrisy of the left. His name was so offensive to you, you refused to even apply. Naming a school after an influential SC judge is nothing new. Take ASU for example. But I am certain the name Sotomayer did not trigger you near to the degree that Scalia did. Good thing for you is that there are plenty of law schools that surely have a plethora of safe spaces for you to hide in to avoid being intellectually challenged. Certainly Santa Clara or Pepperdine are in your future, I am certain you would fit in there.


I don't see how it's hypocritical at all. People are applying to law school because they are trying to get a professional education. People are not looking for the undergrad liberal arts "open your mind" experience. By choosing the name the school after Scalia, GMU chose to broadcast a certain ideology. I think that it is totally acceptable for people who are not interested in spending three years developing their professional skills under the umbrella of that ideology to be turned off by the name. Likewise, I bet that there are many conservatives who wouldn't be interested in studying at a RBG or Sotomayer law school, and I bet that that wouldn't "trigger" you.

LawBuckeye12
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby LawBuckeye12 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:02 am

bitter_melon wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:


Regardless of your political ideology, refusing to apply to a law school because of who it is named after proves the hypocrisy of the left. His name was so offensive to you, you refused to even apply. Naming a school after an influential SC judge is nothing new. Take ASU for example. But I am certain the name Sotomayer did not trigger you near to the degree that Scalia did. Good thing for you is that there are plenty of law schools that surely have a plethora of safe spaces for you to hide in to avoid being intellectually challenged. Certainly Santa Clara or Pepperdine are in your future, I am certain you would fit in there.


I don't see how it's hypocritical at all. People are applying to law school because they are trying to get a professional education. People are not looking for the undergrad liberal arts "open your mind" experience. By choosing the name the school after Scalia, GMU chose to broadcast a certain ideology. I think that it is totally acceptable for people who are not interested in spending three years developing their professional skills under the umbrella of that ideology to be turned off by the name. Likewise, I bet that there are many conservatives who wouldn't be interested in studying at a RBG or Sotomayer law school, and I bet that that wouldn't "trigger" you.

Lol they aren't teaching a "Scalia ideology" at GMU.

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby bitter_melon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 am

I know that they aren't and I don't think that I implied that they did. But the name is a brand, and you can't deny that they chose to tie their brand to a person who has come to represent a specific ideology. I agree that you shouldn't base your entire decision on the name, but it still sends a message.

User avatar
amta
Posts: 9410
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby amta » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:


Regardless of your political ideology, refusing to apply to a law school because of who it is named after proves the hypocrisy of the left. His name was so offensive to you, you refused to even apply. Naming a school after an influential SC judge is nothing new. Take ASU for example. But I am certain the name Sotomayer did not trigger you near to the degree that Scalia did. Good thing for you is that there are plenty of law schools that surely have a plethora of safe spaces for you to hide in to avoid being intellectually challenged. Certainly Santa Clara or Pepperdine are in your future, I am certain you would fit in there.


I don't see how it's hypocritical at all. People are applying to law school because they are trying to get a professional education. People are not looking for the undergrad liberal arts "open your mind" experience. By choosing the name the school after Scalia, GMU chose to broadcast a certain ideology. I think that it is totally acceptable for people who are not interested in spending three years developing their professional skills under the umbrella of that ideology to be turned off by the name. Likewise, I bet that there are many conservatives who wouldn't be interested in studying at a RBG or Sotomayer law school, and I bet that that wouldn't "trigger" you.

Lol they aren't teaching a "Scalia ideology" at GMU.


chicharon wrote:call in

User avatar
chicharon
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby chicharon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:09 am

amta wrote:
LawBuckeye12 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:


Regardless of your political ideology, refusing to apply to a law school because of who it is named after proves the hypocrisy of the left. His name was so offensive to you, you refused to even apply. Naming a school after an influential SC judge is nothing new. Take ASU for example. But I am certain the name Sotomayer did not trigger you near to the degree that Scalia did. Good thing for you is that there are plenty of law schools that surely have a plethora of safe spaces for you to hide in to avoid being intellectually challenged. Certainly Santa Clara or Pepperdine are in your future, I am certain you would fit in there.


I don't see how it's hypocritical at all. People are applying to law school because they are trying to get a professional education. People are not looking for the undergrad liberal arts "open your mind" experience. By choosing the name the school after Scalia, GMU chose to broadcast a certain ideology. I think that it is totally acceptable for people who are not interested in spending three years developing their professional skills under the umbrella of that ideology to be turned off by the name. Likewise, I bet that there are many conservatives who wouldn't be interested in studying at a RBG or Sotomayer law school, and I bet that that wouldn't "trigger" you.

Lol they aren't teaching a "Scalia ideology" at GMU.


chicharon wrote:call in


I was concerned about the name change as well, but I talked to a friend of a friend who happened to be an alum, and she assured me that the school is a good one, and that the name didn't change anything about the school.

I'm a current student now and couldn't be happier. I really like it here. I like my professors, I like my classmates, and I'm learning a lot. In my section, there is a good mix of conservatives, liberals, and moderates, and of course many faculty members are conservative, but none of our politics have gotten in the way of our learning. And whether or not you like Scalia the person, you as a law student have much to learn from him, and you'll probably end up discussing his opinions and dissents no matter which law school you go to (shoutout to my friends from UPenn and Vandy). That said, I acknowledge that this school isn't perfect, but from what I have experienced, it really is a good school. Feel free to ask me questions, and I will try my best to answer without outing myself.

User avatar
chicharon
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby chicharon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:17 am

To you guys who are attending the open house tomorrow (today!), please feel free to approach us current students! If you mention TLS and I'm in the vicinity I'll reveal myself :D

Also I'd like to echo what was mentioned above--for me, visiting the campus was a deciding factor in applying and attending, so if you can visit, please do.

Pinkpanda24
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby Pinkpanda24 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:42 pm

chicharon wrote:To you guys who are attending the open house tomorrow (today!), please feel free to approach us current students! If you mention TLS and I'm in the vicinity I'll reveal myself :D

Also I'd like to echo what was mentioned above--for me, visiting the campus was a deciding factor in applying and attending, so if you can visit, please do.

The visit today was great! Seems like a really good vibe :)

User avatar
chicharon
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby chicharon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:26 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:The visit today was great! Seems like a really good vibe :)


Yay I'm glad you had a good time! :D

jfo13
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby jfo13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:41 am

marniemadden wrote:Just got my acceptance by phone! 703 area code, showed up as Vienna, VA. Didn't mention if I got a scholarship, am waiting on the acceptance package. Called around noon Eastern. 162 LSAT, around a 3.4 GPA.


Just wondering how long after you got the "you application is now complete" email that you got the call? I have the exact same LSAT/GPA stats so you're giving me hope lol.

UMD121
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby UMD121 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:25 am

Has anyone paid their deposit? Where do we find it online?

marniemadden
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby marniemadden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 pm

jfo13 wrote:
marniemadden wrote:Just got my acceptance by phone! 703 area code, showed up as Vienna, VA. Didn't mention if I got a scholarship, am waiting on the acceptance package. Called around noon Eastern. 162 LSAT, around a 3.4 GPA.


Just wondering how long after you got the "you application is now complete" email that you got the call? I have the exact same LSAT/GPA stats so you're giving me hope lol.


Two months and four days, to be exact. I applied early decision so don't know how long you'd have to wait for regular decision. Applied 11/15, found out 1/19.

marniemadden
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby marniemadden » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:06 pm

UMD121 wrote:Has anyone paid their deposit? Where do we find it online?


Go to the student intranet page and click "Enrollment." It's not one of the drop down items-- took me forever to figure that out.

kaptainkeepa
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby kaptainkeepa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:16 pm

Very happy with scholarship offer

And now their rankings have improved. Definitely in the area I want to attend law school.

Army_of_blood
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby Army_of_blood » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:51 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:
Army_of_blood wrote:Thought about applying, saw they named their school after Antonin Scalia and was like "nope" :mrgreen:

You didn't want to apply because you saw the name of one of the most influential Supreme Court justices of all time? Sorry I'm sure you as a 0L know more about the constitution than him. Sotomoyer, RBG, and Kagan all attended the dedication for the school and have nothing but great things to say about the idea.

I'm sure your gonna have a great career in law though and know more than everyone.


Kewl. Wasn't aware that because Sotomayer, RBG, and Kagan attended a dedication that I should go. Where did I claim to know more than anyone? As an LGBT individual, I'm not going to a school named after a man who consistently tried to stop myself and others like me from attaining basic civil rights.

chicagoburger
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Postby chicagoburger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Army_of_blood wrote:
Kewl. Wasn't aware that because Sotomayer, RBG, and Kagan attended a dedication that I should go. Where did I claim to know more than anyone? As an LGBT individual, I'm not going to a school named after a man who consistently tried to stop myself and others like me from attaining basic civil rights.


What kind of "basic civil rights" has Scalia denied you "LGBT individual"?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: anacabana, BodieBroadus, cheeseras, joooookchang, kace3030, QUIZ, Revelator 12, tinycatfriend, vikingrunner and 21 guests