George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
marniemadden

New

Re: George Mason Scalia Law c/o 2020

Post by marniemadden » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Was only offered half of tuition from GMU. Was offered a full scholarship somewhere else. Anyone have any success in getting more than they were originally offered? Also, I applied early decision-- anyone know anything about getting out of the early decision agreement? I'd love to go to GMU so I hope they give me more money, but it's hard to pass up a full scholarship....

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:31 pm

marniemadden wrote:Was only offered half of tuition from GMU. Was offered a full scholarship somewhere else. Anyone have any success in getting more than they were originally offered? Also, I applied early decision-- anyone know anything about getting out of the early decision agreement? I'd love to go to GMU so I hope they give me more money, but it's hard to pass up a full scholarship....
I've read the only way to get out of an early decision commitment is to put off going to law school for a year. Some schools say they share the info of students accepted ED to other schools. Schools don't negotiate with ED applicants because they have to attend.

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:16 pm

Just got my scholarship info in the mail. My question is: Does anyone know how possible it is to qualify for in-state tuition after a year? And if you do become a resident after one year would Mason reduce my scholarship?

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm very impressed with George Mason so far, spoke with Dean Butler this weekend and he was extremely helpful and personable!

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Last edited by charles117 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monotonemr

New

Post by monotonemr » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:14 pm

raeofsunshine wrote:I'm very impressed with George Mason so far, spoke with Dean Butler this weekend and he was extremely helpful and personable!
Yeah I spoke with him a while ago and felt the same way. Not sure how I feel about Mason and their offer but they have been very helpful so far.

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:33 pm

LawBuckeye12 wrote:Just got my scholarship info in the mail. My question is: Does anyone know how possible it is to qualify for in-state tuition after a year? And if you do become a resident after one year would Mason reduce my scholarship?
http://www.law.gmu.edu/financing/tuition

Here's the link. The answer is basically no.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:39 pm

marniemadden wrote:Was only offered half of tuition from GMU. Was offered a full scholarship somewhere else. Anyone have any success in getting more than they were originally offered? Also, I applied early decision-- anyone know anything about getting out of the early decision agreement? I'd love to go to GMU so I hope they give me more money, but it's hard to pass up a full scholarship....
Ouch. Sorry to say that it was poor poor choice applying ED to GMU (or any school) if you were looking to negotiate money. Applying ED most likely gives you significantly les money. Seeing that you got half tuition by applying ED, I'm sure you would've gotten a lot more if you had applied RD.

Only way out of a ED contract is to not go to law school in 2017.

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Ouch. Sorry to say that it was poor poor choice applying ED to GMU (or any school) if you were looking to negotiate money. Applying ED most likely gives you significantly les money. Seeing that you got half tuition by applying ED, I'm sure you would've gotten a lot more if you had applied RD.

Thanks! Since I got a full scholarship elsewhere GMU did a scholarship reconsideration and gave me more, bringing up to approximately 3/4 of my tuition.
Last edited by marniemadden on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks! Since I got a full scholarship elsewhere GMU did a scholarship reconsideration and gave me more, bringing it up to approximately 3/4 of my tuition.

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Anyone going to the open house on Saturday? If so, have you gotten any sort of schedule for it? The only thing I've gotten so far is that there's a mock lecture beginning at 10. Would be nice to be able to plan the rest of my day...

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:40 pm

marniemadden wrote:Anyone going to the open house on Saturday? If so, have you gotten any sort of schedule for it? The only thing I've gotten so far is that there's a mock lecture beginning at 10. Would be nice to be able to plan the rest of my day...
Yes. There is a schedule on the accepted students website. It's not super detailed.

redsox20981

New

Post by redsox20981 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:55 pm

marniemadden wrote:

Thanks! Since I got a full scholarship elsewhere GMU did a scholarship reconsideration and gave me more, bringing it up to approximately 3/4 of my tuition.
How did you go about initiating the scholarship reconsideration, and how did the whole process work?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LawBuckeye12

New

Post by LawBuckeye12 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:36 pm

redsox20981 wrote:
marniemadden wrote:

How did you go about initiating the scholarship reconsideration, and how did the whole process work?
Try emailing the person who signed your original scholarship letter. They will send you a form that you have to fill out and attach other offers.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:17 pm

Last edited by charles117 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm

Has anyone done the call with Dean Butler? Just wanted to know if you found it useful.

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:41 am

redsox20981 wrote:
marniemadden wrote:

I spoke with Tiffany Williams and explained the situation. She sent me a reconsideration form, in which I put in the tuition for the other school I got a scholarship to, how much it was for, how much the overall cost of attendance would be, etc., then emailed it to her, along with my scholarship letter from the other school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aaron1621

New

Post by aaron1621 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 am

Is it too late to apply?

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

amta wrote:anyone know if mason offers travel stipends.
Super late response but yes, they do, for open houses at least, up to $500

marniemadden

New

Post by marniemadden » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 am

Anyone have any idea how to submit the seat deposit? Do we just mail it in or can we make it online?

UMD121

New

Post by UMD121 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 am

Anyone have their phone convo with the Dean? Have mine today and was trying to see how formal/involved it was.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Charlie802

Bronze

Post by Charlie802 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm

UMD121 wrote:Anyone have their phone convo with the Dean? Have mine today and was trying to see how formal/involved it was.
It was pretty informal. He made a comment on my application and asked what my goals were, etc. Gave a little background on the school. Did have an interesting moment when he asked where else I was considering and got a little negative and pushy about my decision. Overall was a fine chat. Don't worry about it too much.

onecallthats all

Bronze

Post by onecallthats all » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Waitlisted today with a 161/3.58.

Beyond shocked. I am beginning to wonder if there was some glaring, blatant error I missed in my application.

monotonemr

New

Post by monotonemr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
UMD121 wrote:Anyone have their phone convo with the Dean? Have mine today and was trying to see how formal/involved it was.
It was pretty informal. He made a comment on my application and asked what my goals were, etc. Gave a little background on the school. Did have an interesting moment when he asked where else I was considering and got a little negative and pushy about my decision. Overall was a fine chat. Don't worry about it too much.
Basically the same for me as well. It was mostly him trying to sell Mason to me.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 pm

monotonemr wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
Basically the same for me as well. It was mostly him trying to sell Mason to me.
Same for me. He was very nice.
Who's coming on March 4??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”