ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beantheshadow

Bronze

Re: ASU - Sandra Day O'Connor Law c/o 2020

Post by beantheshadow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:37 pm

What do you guys know about negotiating? ASU is one of my top choices, didn't like the scholarship offer. Other schools I've been accepted into have giving me more money for tuition but if I factor in out of state tuition + COL, I'd still be saving wayyy more money by attending ASU. How should I go about a scholarship increase? My LSAT is above their 75th and my GPA is at median.

Huskies13!

Bronze

Post by Huskies13! » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Got it. So it wasn't that UCI was necessarily cheaper--just that to move it wasn't enough from the other school...

katietw95

New

Post by katietw95 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 am

In at ASU!

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:57 am

katietw95 wrote:In at ASU!
Congrats!

iwishiwasthemoon

New

Post by iwishiwasthemoon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Hey guys, I went under review 1/23, and I'm really hoping for the quick turnaround everyone seems to be experiencing. I was just wondering how you get informed for acceptance, waitlist, and rejection. Via email?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:31 pm

notmarkymark wrote:Hey guys, I went under review 1/23, and I'm really hoping for the quick turnaround everyone seems to be experiencing. I was just wondering how you get informed for acceptance, waitlist, and rejection. Via email?
I got a call from the Dean.

brewpub16

New

Post by brewpub16 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Does anyone know what a "hold" on an application means? Is it like a waitlist or more like "we need more time to review"?

aspiringesq.elle

New

Post by aspiringesq.elle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:00 pm

brewpub16 wrote:Does anyone know what a "hold" on an application means? Is it like a waitlist or more like "we need more time to review"?
That's odd. I would say it may be a Future LSAT registration hold but ASU doesn't do that (many schools do). I'd give the admissions office a call to see why there's a hold and if you need to supply anymore information. Just to cover all of your bases.

helpmedecide222

New

Post by helpmedecide222 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:28 am

Just sent in a late app. Saw that people are getting quick decisions after going UR. How long after applying did you guys go under review? I'm 164/3.33

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 pm

helpmedecide222 wrote:Just sent in a late app. Saw that people are getting quick decisions after going UR. How long after applying did you guys go under review? I'm 164/3.33
nearly identical numbers, went UR three days after and got a decision in about 10 days from when I submitted in early Jan.

helpmedecide222

New

Post by helpmedecide222 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:52 pm

aryi3025 wrote:
helpmedecide222 wrote:Just sent in a late app. Saw that people are getting quick decisions after going UR. How long after applying did you guys go under review? I'm 164/3.33
nearly identical numbers, went UR three days after and got a decision in about 10 days from when I submitted in early Jan.
Haven't gotten a status checker yet. Did you get Scholly info when you were admitted?

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm

helpmedecide222 wrote:
aryi3025 wrote:
Haven't gotten a status checker yet. Did you get Scholly info when you were admitted?
i got a phone call from the dean and he told me I was accepted and that they are awarding me a scholly package but said they were working on the numbers. I got the award amount along with my packet in the mail

Daniwah

New

Post by Daniwah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:41 pm

I have decided to attend ASU. Does anyone have any input on where most of the law students live now, since the law school relocated to downtown? I assume some of the older students still live in Tempe, is that still the case for everyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sspeckk

New

Post by sspeckk » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:10 pm

lawboi619 wrote:I have decided to attend ASU. Does anyone have any input on where most of the law students live now, since the law school relocated to downtown? I assume some of the older students still live in Tempe, is that still the case for everyone?
I'm not sure where most of the law students live. If it helps, I personally am planning to live in downtown Phoenix, as close to the law building as possible.

Congrats, and good luck with your plans!

spqr351

New

Post by spqr351 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

lawboi619 wrote:I have decided to attend ASU. Does anyone have any input on where most of the law students live now, since the law school relocated to downtown? I assume some of the older students still live in Tempe, is that still the case for everyone?
Congrats on your decision! My cousin is a 1L at ASU and I've asked him about this. Also, I'm a Phoenix native so I know a bit about the area.

There's no one complex or part of town where law students cluster. Most live around the Valley in whatever housing they want. The commute from the east side (Mesa, south Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler) isn't all that bad, and housing is MUCH cheaper. Housing on the west side of town is even more affordable, but the commute is hellish.

Law students who really want a big social life live in Tempe, and many take the light rail every day. There are abundant, cheap options surrounding the ASU main campus if you don't mind constant undergrad parties. The more serious undergrads often live a few miles away from campus in rental houses, but you'd lose the light rail as an option.

There is also a decent population of law students within walking distance of the law school, but prices are high and the social scene is lacking.

For what it's worth, ASU Law students have to park in a garage nearly 1/2 mile away, in the same lots that serve Chase Field. The closer garages are small and usually occupied by faculty and staff. Few students even get a chance to buy a permit there, as faculty gets first-dibs and undergrads compete for the same spots. Free street parking is possible if you're willing to walk 3/4 mile-ish to a sketchy-but-gentrifying neighborhood (the area immediately surrounding the school is quite nice and very safe). The light rail station is about a block away, and less than a 5 minute walk. Buses in Phoenix are a joke, don't count on them.

TwoTwo1B

New

Post by TwoTwo1B » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:34 pm

As someone who lives in AZ, I'll add that the light rail is a decent option. I live in Gilbert and there's a park-and-ride very close to my house. Much better than dealing with traffic/parking issues downtown. And ASU students get an unlimited pass for $100 per semester (pretty sure that includes grad students).

BobbyWarz

New

Post by BobbyWarz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Current 2L. Feel free to ask any questions, and Congrats! A good chunk of the population moved downtown. There's a few apartment buildings that are close by that are affordable. Some students (like myself) found better bang for our buck in Tempe. It really depends on what you're after. Personally I don't find the parking garage that bad though. Its about a 10 minute walk from the school. At 4th and Filmore if you want to look up the distance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

helpmedecide222

New

Post by helpmedecide222 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Went UR1 on 2/8, just had status date change to 2/20. Does this mean anything? how long til i know?

Daniwah

New

Post by Daniwah » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:57 pm

BobbyWarz wrote:

Current 2L. Feel free to ask any questions, and Congrats! A good chunk of the population moved downtown. There's a few apartment buildings that are close by that are affordable. Some students (like myself) found better bang for our buck in Tempe. It really depends on what you're after. Personally I don't find the parking garage that bad though. Its about a 10 minute walk from the school. At 4th and Filmore if you want to look up the distance.

Thanks for your input! What is your opinion on living in Old Town Scottsdale and going to school downtown? It is bit farther than Tempe obviously, but for financial reasons may be more feasible for me.

helpmedecide222

New

Post by helpmedecide222 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:40 pm

In at ASU 164/3.33, how does scholarship info come in?

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:54 pm

helpmedecide222 wrote:In at ASU 164/3.33, how does scholarship info come in?
Mine came in via snail mail about a week and a half later.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:37 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
same here. anyone try negotiating yet?

TheTaylor

New

Post by TheTaylor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:13 pm

aryi3025 wrote:
TheTaylor wrote:
I haven't. I am waiting to hear back from one more school. But, I am not sure I really even want to go to ASU at this point, their original offer kind of offended me haha. Does anyone else feel like their offer was lower than expected?

aryi3025

Bronze

Post by aryi3025 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 pm

TheTaylor wrote:
aryi3025 wrote:
TheTaylor wrote:
I haven't. I am waiting to hear back from one more school. But, I am not sure I really even want to go to ASU at this point, their original offer kind of offended me haha. Does anyone else feel like their offer was lower than expected?
not offended but i was low balled

ryan.laine94

New

Post by ryan.laine94 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Does anyone know when they start to review their WL? I was WL'ed back in December and recently visited the school. They said they would mark my interest (I flew in from Ohio) on my app, but I never did get a response about timeline, even when I e-mailed them after I left...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”