Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Charlie802

Re: Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Postby Charlie802 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:50 pm

em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
em15 wrote:Yeah, SJU gave me full ride with the stip of staying in top 60%, so they are off my list

Are you going to attempt to negotiate? Or did you decide on SJU? SJU gave me double Cardozo, but I am trying to negotiate.

I don't think I could negotiate away stips, and I don't think Cardozo will budge if I give them SJU numbers just because of the lack of stips, but I could be wrong. Out of Cardozo, Brooklyn, and SJU, I prefer Cardozo. I'm still waiting to hear back from other higher ranked schools. But money is definitely going to be a big factor in my decision. Has anyone done this who could give us advice?

I'm not sure if anyone has had a successful negotiation this cycle as of yet.(correct me if I'm wrong). I sent an email and they replied brining up stips of my other offers, but told me they would give me an answer by the end of March. I tried negotiating with SJU and they told me the end of May, so I won't be attending SJU most likely.

em15

Postby em15 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
em15 wrote:Yeah, SJU gave me full ride with the stip of staying in top 60%, so they are off my list

Are you going to attempt to negotiate? Or did you decide on SJU? SJU gave me double Cardozo, but I am trying to negotiate.

I don't think I could negotiate away stips, and I don't think Cardozo will budge if I give them SJU numbers just because of the lack of stips, but I could be wrong. Out of Cardozo, Brooklyn, and SJU, I prefer Cardozo. I'm still waiting to hear back from other higher ranked schools. But money is definitely going to be a big factor in my decision. Has anyone done this who could give us advice?

I'm not sure if anyone has had a successful negotiation this cycle as of yet.(correct me if I'm wrong). I sent an email and they replied brining up stips of my other offers, but told me they would give me an answer by the end of March. I tried negotiating with SJU and they told me the end of May, so I won't be attending SJU most likely.

Yeah, I figured the lack of stips would make it non-negotiable with other schools who have stips. Makes sense

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:55 pm

em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

Yeah, I figured the lack of stips would make it non-negotiable with other schools who have stips. Makes sense

I figured I might as well try. I'm in at better schools with scholarships, so it's worth a shot! Nothing to lose at this point!

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 am

Charlie802 wrote:

For the name of all that is sacred, don't go to SJU because they gave you more! If you look at their 509's you'll see they section stack the hell out of their class and give out a ton of money and take back more than half those big scholly's. You could lose everything for slightly worse employment stats. Also yeah I got the same response from Cardozo as everyone in this discussion "you'll hear back at the end of march" and they told me the same thing about stips. It appears Cardozo came to the conclusion this year to get rid of stips and see if they could retain more students for less money that way(which is what almost all the T1 schools do and they deserve credit for that, it separates them in class from SJU and even Brooklyn which still gives out stips even if they're pretty reasonable relatively).

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:38 am

KDavis95 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:In via phone call today with a lousy scholarship lol. I'm not going since I was accepted to better schools with 3x the amount they are offering.

Just curious how much did they offer u?

12k a year. I was shocked since other schools offered me upwards of 20k a year.

Omg that is insulting, maybe they r running out of money

Dirtyolmuskrat

Postby Dirtyolmuskrat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:10 am

Hope they're not running out of money. I was accepted two days ago, but they didn't mention my scholarship on the voice-mail.

KDavis95

Postby KDavis95 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
kdavis95 wrote:12k a year. I was shocked since other schools offered me upwards of 20k a year.

Out of curiosity what other schools are these? Did you apply late because if you look at the beginning of the thread Cardozo was giving out a ton of money to people and now they're giving people less than Emory(which is a better school) so there has to be an explanation for this? Then again a kid posted a thread a few days ago where they received 52k from Cardozo(maybe they applied early and just didn't make a thread until later in the cycle) and hadn't applied to better schools. This is weird. If this does mean they're running out of money this doesn't look good for my renegotiation efforts:(

Emory, William and Mary, and Northeastern all gave me upwards of 20k a year. I don't know my package from WUSTL yet. I did apply late, about 20 days ago, so maybe that's why.

I was rejected from W+M and received 25k a year from Cardozo(stats are 156/3.5, if you got into Emory and W+M I'm going to assume your stats are north of mine by a bit). I'm almost positive the reason you got so little money is because you applied late and the school just doesn't have much money left. In terms of applying this cycle is basically over.

I think it's because I applied late for sure. But congrats on that scholly. when did you apply may I ask?

KDavis95

Postby KDavis95 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:03 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:In via phone call today with a lousy scholarship lol. I'm not going since I was accepted to better schools with 3x the amount they are offering.

Yeah it was! When I got the phone call, the lady on the phone announced the amount like it was so amazing and I was like.... "ummm okay... Thanks?" Iol

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:09 pm

KDavis95 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Yeah it was! When I got the phone call, the lady on the phone announced the amount like it was so amazing and I was like.... "ummm okay... Thanks?" Iol

lol well i guess she cant announce it like its terrible or you'll feel some type of way too lol

good luck to you!

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:15 pm

KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
kdavis95 wrote:12k a year. I was shocked since other schools offered me upwards of 20k a year.

Out of curiosity what other schools are these? Did you apply late because if you look at the beginning of the thread Cardozo was giving out a ton of money to people and now they're giving people less than Emory(which is a better school) so there has to be an explanation for this? Then again a kid posted a thread a few days ago where they received 52k from Cardozo(maybe they applied early and just didn't make a thread until later in the cycle) and hadn't applied to better schools. This is weird. If this does mean they're running out of money this doesn't look good for my renegotiation efforts:(

Emory, William and Mary, and Northeastern all gave me upwards of 20k a year. I don't know my package from WUSTL yet. I did apply late, about 20 days ago, so maybe that's why.

I was rejected from W+M and received 25k a year from Cardozo(stats are 156/3.5, if you got into Emory and W+M I'm going to assume your stats are north of mine by a bit). I'm almost positive the reason you got so little money is because you applied late and the school just doesn't have much money left. In terms of applying this cycle is basically over.

I think it's because I applied late for sure. But congrats on that scholly. when did you apply may I ask?

Late October.

KDavis95

Postby KDavis95 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

Well that makes a ton of sense lol I think they just have no money now. Yikes.

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:06 pm

KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

No!!! They need to give me more money!!

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

Seeing as they're telling people to wait until the end of march for scholly negotiations they probably have a second(smaller) wave of money earmarked for negotiations.

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

Seeing as they're telling people to wait until the end of march for scholly negotiations they probably have a second(smaller) wave of money earmarked for negotiations.

Let's hope so! :)
I mean we asked early and nicely! ;)

em15

Postby em15 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

Or they wait for people to withdraw to have more money available?? I don't know if that's a thing or not

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 pm

em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

Or they wait for people to withdraw to have more money available?? I don't know if that's a thing or not

Deadline's April 15th and they promised to let us all know by the end of march doesn't quite add up.

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:
KDavis95 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Late October.

Deadline's April 15th and they promised to let us all know by the end of march doesn't quite add up.

Agreed! I doubt people will let them know before the April 15th deadline? Or is that something people do?

em15

Postby em15 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
Agreed! I doubt people will let them know before the April 15th deadline? Or is that something people do?

If you look on LSN, you can see that people have already withdrawn from places when better deals come up. It shows a "W" next to the school name on their profiles

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:38 pm

em15 wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:

If you look on LSN, you can see that people have already withdrawn from places when better deals come up. It shows a "W" next to the school name on their profiles

Cool, good to know! Thanks!

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 pm

in with full scholly!

163/3.15, stem, two years we

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:17 am

circle.the.wagons wrote:in with full scholly!

Congrats! Looks like that answers our money questions, they still have some to give!

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:23 am

Charlie802 wrote:

Congrats! Looks like that answers our money questions, they still have some to give!

thanks, appreciate it. just wanted to post for informational purposes for everyone else. i was honestly shocked i was expecting 60k max.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 am

woot r u considering attending?

i got a good skolly too and dnt need housing so everything is bliss, but i got into higher ranked schools with similar/a bit less skolly and im so conflicted.

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:45 am

lillawyer2 wrote:

i got a good skolly too and dnt need housing so everything is bliss, but i got into higher ranked schools with similar/a bit less skolly and im so conflicted.

honestly Im not sure. I'm gonna have to see what happens with BC (hopeful) and Fordham (doubtful). I live in the nyc suburbs and am dying to finally make the move to the city but I'm trying to use reason instead of emotions here. I was PTing in the high 160s on the LSAT so if I dont get a good result from BC/Fordham I may consider sitting out this year and retaking the LSAT in june.

I dont necessarily have biglaw aspirations, but I know BC/Fordham may open doors that dozo can't, so I need to do some thinking

Also dat COL is not cheap lol so I'd still be taking out a decent loan.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:35 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

honestly Im not sure. I'm gonna have to see what happens with BC (hopeful) and Fordham (doubtful). I live in the nyc suburbs and am dying to finally make the move to the city but I'm trying to use reason instead of emotions here. I was PTing in the high 160s on the LSAT so if I dont get a good result from BC/Fordham I may consider sitting out this year and retaking the LSAT in june.

I dont necessarily have biglaw aspirations, but I know BC/Fordham may open doors that dozo can't, so I need to do some thinking

Also dat COL is not cheap lol so I'd still be taking out a decent loan.

i think youll get into fordham. is fordham hard to get into? its a really good school. very nice canpus/reminds me of a modern version of columbia's.

i am kind of curious bc i kno a lot of successful ppl graduated from cardozo and idk how much their prior connects help their careers, but i dnt kno anyone who graduated from fordham.

even though fordham is ranked much higher, i put fordham/brooklyn/cardozo in the same bucket (dnt crucify me lol) i figure if its not columbia/nyu then it is the other pile lol cornell i dnt even factor bc they are in the middle of nowhere. lol cant even find time to concern myself.

i can't sit out another year. my parents will kill me and if they dnt my subconcious will. im relatively young (24) but my parents want me in my career before 30. i work as an accountant now and hate it, so i guess this is also motivation to move on to the next phase. its so hard to find jobs that do what i like (community outreach type stuff) that pays more than 50k. i cant survive in the city.

yes cost of living is crazy. i would try to commute from your nyc burbs. housing loans arent worth it and when you look back it will feel dumb having to pay 30-40k just for housing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”