Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
warwickmain

Re: Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Postby warwickmain » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
warwickmain wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
warwickmain wrote:Anyone attending the 3/16 Admitted Students Day?

Yup! Does anyone who went to the first one have any insight on what to expect and whether to dress casual or professional etc?

Welp, guess we might be the only 2 TLS going tomorrow.
Are you going to one of the walk-in office hours? Not really sure what that's about.

No theres at least two more on the Cardozo Class of 2020 thread. Something tells me theyll also be a lot of lurkers there though. Im going to be trying to talk to everyone i can during the walk in period, honestly think they should have made that longer and shortened the panels.

Oh wow, didn't look in that section, and you're probably right about the lurkers too.
Yea, 3 hours of panels does seem like a bit much...

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:06 pm

warwickmain wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
warwickmain wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

Yup! Does anyone who went to the first one have any insight on what to expect and whether to dress casual or professional etc?

Are you going to one of the walk-in office hours? Not really sure what that's about.

No theres at least two more on the Cardozo Class of 2020 thread. Something tells me theyll also be a lot of lurkers there though. Im going to be trying to talk to everyone i can during the walk in period, honestly think they should have made that longer and shortened the panels.

Oh wow, didn't look in that section, and you're probably right about the lurkers too.

I don't recommend the panels. They basically get the best of the best to sell the school. Most people ask about big law prospects. In the student panel, they had the top 5% on it saying that big law is no hard thing to get if you work hard, etc. I guess if you have no ideas re: the school and its programs, the panels are nice. Loved the mock class.

potus

Postby potus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:09 pm

I feel like the only reason I'm going now is to meet the Dean in person and reiterate that I need more $.

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:
warwickmain wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
warwickmain wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

I don't recommend the panels. They basically get the best of the best to sell the school. Most people ask about big law prospects. In the student panel, they had the top 5% on it saying that big law is no hard thing to get if you work hard, etc. I guess if you have no ideas re: the school and its programs, the panels are nice. Loved the mock class.

This is what i feared, a cheerleading session just like UG. Cant blame them really, I guess every school does this but i just wish we had more time to walk around, ask questions and talk to people instead.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Yeah, they have a reception afterwards where you can talk to some of the students who weren't on the panels. Even the professors on the panels were like "I'm a CLS or H grad, but you don't need to go to those schools to do well."

Legallylawyer2020

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:27 pm

So, am I not allowed to go to ASD tomorrow since I was admitted today and got no info about ASD? I want to stay in NYC so cardozo just shot to the top of my list. I'd love to visit and learn about it.

warwickmain

Postby warwickmain » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:So, am I not allowed to go to ASD tomorrow since I was admitted today and got no info about ASD? I want to stay in NYC so cardozo just shot to the top of my list. I'd love to visit and learn about it.

Not too sure, but I'd try to call their admissions office if they haven't left yet for the day to see if it's possible

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:So, am I not allowed to go to ASD tomorrow since I was admitted today and got no info about ASD? I want to stay in NYC so cardozo just shot to the top of my list. I'd love to visit and learn about it.

I'm almost positive you're allowed. You didn't have a chance to RSVP and this is the last ASD, I can't imagine them saying no.

Legallylawyer2020

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:48 pm

warwickmain wrote:

Not too sure, but I'd try to call their admissions office if they haven't left yet for the day to see if it's possible

I tried calling and emailing but haven't gotten a response yet. I live in NYC so if it doesn't work out tomorrow I'm sure I can schedule a tour.

warwickmain

Postby warwickmain » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:17 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
warwickmain wrote:

I tried calling and emailing but haven't gotten a response yet. I live in NYC so if it doesn't work out tomorrow I'm sure I can schedule a tour.

Yea, hopefully they respond early tomorrow. Would you like to know the schedule for the day? I can PM you

Legallylawyer2020

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 pm

warwickmain wrote:
Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
warwickmain wrote:

Yea, hopefully they respond early tomorrow. Would you like to know the schedule for the day? I can PM you

That would be amazing and much appreciated!

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Just show up. They have agendas there and people always RSVP and don't show up.

Legallylawyer2020

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:03 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Just show up. They have agendas there and people always RSVP and don't show up.

Thanks for the advice!

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Just show up. They have agendas there and people always RSVP and don't show up.

Thanks for the advice!

No problem! Have fun and congrats on the scholly!

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Can those that went to ASD today share their thoughts? I am going to visit, but couldn't make ASD, huge bummer.

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Charlie802 wrote:Can those that went to ASD today share their thoughts? I am going to visit, but couldn't make ASD, huge bummer.

Faculty was great(best part by far), so were the students. I really didnt like the building though, besides the lobby it seemed super cramped, hallways are super narrow. Left before most of the panels but i was there for the tours, walk around, lunch and mock class.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:Can those that went to ASD today share their thoughts? I am going to visit, but couldn't make ASD, huge bummer.

Faculty was great(best part by far), so were the students. I really didnt like the building though, besides the lobby it seemed super cramped, hallways are super narrow. Left before most of the panels but i was there for the tours, walk around, lunch and mock class.

Yeah I thought the facilities sucked. But as one 2L put it - they put their money into their students, vs upgrading their facilities.

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 pm

How do you guys feel about the school being closed on the Sabbath? :twisted:

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:How do you guys feel about the school being closed on the Sabbath? :twisted:

I currently live in a town that SHUTS DOWN on Sunday, so the idea of that doesn't bother me. Can study somewhere else.

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:

Bummer about the building. Overall, it sounds like it left a good impression?

Shakawkaw

Postby Shakawkaw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:How do you guys feel about the school being closed on the Sabbath? :twisted:

I currently live in a town that SHUTS DOWN on Sunday, so the idea of that doesn't bother me. Can study somewhere else.

Yeah apparently they have reciprocal privileges with the New School (which is across the street), so Dozo students can use their library.

potus

Postby potus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:52 pm

I loved the mock class the most. It was fantastic and engaging; really made me look forward to law school. I thought the faculty was great and I wish I was more decided about Cardozo since I'm currently on the fence due to the current $ on the table. The alumni panel was probably the weakest imo.

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:00 pm

potus wrote:I loved the mock class the most. It was fantastic and engaging; really made me look forward to law school. I thought the faculty was great and I wish I was more decided about Cardozo since I'm currently on the fence due to the current $ on the table. The alumni panel was probably the weakest imo.

What did you find made it weak? Quality of their positions, their support of the school, etc.?

potus

Postby potus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Charlie802 wrote:What did you find made it weak? Quality of their positions, their support of the school, etc.?

The alumni's support of the school seemed forced by their positive interactions and support for the Office of Career Services. There were just some things that stood out to me. One alum got her associate job through RAMP and stated she likely wouldn't have picked up by her firm if it wasn't for that program (placing grads at around min salary at affordable cost to the firm). Another alum got pulled aside at her firm because she was a Cardozo Law student and then asked whether or not she could do the work. Not sure if I misheard. Somehow that was a positive interaction and led to the idea that people think Cardozo students are extremely hardworking. They seemed to reinforce the real landscape that Cardozo's tiered below "prestigious schools like Fordham," and they seemed baffled when asked about opportunities outside of NYC -- forcing an alum to cite her experiences working at the border of North/South Korea for the U.S. military. Outside the NYC Law Dept., the firms they worked in only had a handful of Cardozo students relative to other T14 and regionals, but made sure to say that all feedback has always been positive. And they also made sure to reiterate the moot court comps and beating schools like Harvard, etc.

Probably huge props for presenting what seems to be reality, but disconcerting in shaping the narrative for potential incoming 1L students.
Last edited by potus on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:51 pm

Got screwed in the mock class, bungled a followup question because I didn't expect him to follow up, looked like an idiot. Liked the case though. Thought the faculty was great(only qualm I had was that the Dean dropped the whole "there is no limit to what you can do with a law degree" line once), the two personal interactions I had with faculty both at lunch and on the tour really impressed me. Law Review also really had their shit together, they were just a class act. I just can't picture myself going to school there(I am already someone who was skeptical about going to school in Manhattan in general, so if you're one of those people who loves NYC, take my words with a grain of salt, because that's a factor). School's "Hispanic association" also really didn't seem to exist and seemed to just share a tiny room with the rest of the minority associations. I know the schools' physical plant is supposed to be irrelevant but I just got a depressing vibe from it(not the people who again were great, the place). Also did anyone notice the bizzare collection of sofas stacked up on one another near the second floor stairs(or maybe third floor stairs), that kind of freaked me out?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”