Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jeffcooon

Re: Cardozo Law C/O 2020

Postby jeffcooon » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:09 pm

got in as well. received a call yesterday. Cardozo sounds interesting. Have several who friends who go there.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:49 pm

jeffcooon wrote:got in as well. received a call yesterday. Cardozo sounds interesting. Have several who friends who go there.

how is their experience? job prospects? are they happy with their choice lol?

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:41 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
jeffcooon wrote:got in as well. received a call yesterday. Cardozo sounds interesting. Have several who friends who go there.

how is their experience? job prospects? are they happy with their choice lol?

+1 would love to hear this as well!

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:11 am

lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:in with full scholly!

163/3.15, stem, two years we

woot r u considering attending?

i got a good skolly too and dnt need housing so everything is bliss, but i got into higher ranked schools with similar/a bit less skolly and im so conflicted.

honestly Im not sure. I'm gonna have to see what happens with BC (hopeful) and Fordham (doubtful). I live in the nyc suburbs and am dying to finally make the move to the city but I'm trying to use reason instead of emotions here. I was PTing in the high 160s on the LSAT so if I dont get a good result from BC/Fordham I may consider sitting out this year and retaking the LSAT in june.

I dont necessarily have biglaw aspirations, but I know BC/Fordham may open doors that dozo can't, so I need to do some thinking

Also dat COL is not cheap lol so I'd still be taking out a decent loan.

i think youll get into fordham. is fordham hard to get into? its a really good school. very nice canpus/reminds me of a modern version of columbia's.

i am kind of curious bc i kno a lot of successful ppl graduated from cardozo and idk how much their prior connects help their careers, but i dnt kno anyone who graduated from fordham.

even though fordham is ranked much higher, i put fordham/brooklyn/cardozo in the same bucket (dnt crucify me lol) i figure if its not columbia/nyu then it is the other pile lol cornell i dnt even factor bc they are in the middle of nowhere. lol cant even find time to concern myself.

i can't sit out another year. my parents will kill me and if they dnt my subconcious will. im relatively young (24) but my parents want me in my career before 30. i work as an accountant now and hate it, so i guess this is also motivation to move on to the next phase. its so hard to find jobs that do what i like (community outreach type stuff) that pays more than 50k. i cant survive in the city.

yes cost of living is crazy. i would try to commute from your nyc burbs. housing loans arent worth it and when you look back it will feel dumb having to pay 30-40k just for housing.

i'm on my own in the burbs,not with my parents, so i pay almost as much in rent now as i would in the city. plus the hour commute to greenwich village, doesn't seem worth it (train into gct, which is $300/month and then the subway downtown)

according to mylsn, fordham is way pickier than they have a right to be considering their ranking, but we'll see what happens. i wasn't expecting this much money from dozo so maybe my softs are better than i thought

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:59 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

i got a good skolly too and dnt need housing so everything is bliss, but i got into higher ranked schools with similar/a bit less skolly and im so conflicted.

honestly Im not sure. I'm gonna have to see what happens with BC (hopeful) and Fordham (doubtful). I live in the nyc suburbs and am dying to finally make the move to the city but I'm trying to use reason instead of emotions here. I was PTing in the high 160s on the LSAT so if I dont get a good result from BC/Fordham I may consider sitting out this year and retaking the LSAT in june.

I dont necessarily have biglaw aspirations, but I know BC/Fordham may open doors that dozo can't, so I need to do some thinking

i think youll get into fordham. is fordham hard to get into? its a really good school. very nice canpus/reminds me of a modern version of columbia's.

i am kind of curious bc i kno a lot of successful ppl graduated from cardozo and idk how much their prior connects help their careers, but i dnt kno anyone who graduated from fordham.

even though fordham is ranked much higher, i put fordham/brooklyn/cardozo in the same bucket (dnt crucify me lol) i figure if its not columbia/nyu then it is the other pile lol cornell i dnt even factor bc they are in the middle of nowhere. lol cant even find time to concern myself.

i can't sit out another year. my parents will kill me and if they dnt my subconcious will. im relatively young (24) but my parents want me in my career before 30. i work as an accountant now and hate it, so i guess this is also motivation to move on to the next phase. its so hard to find jobs that do what i like (community outreach type stuff) that pays more than 50k. i cant survive in the city.

yes cost of living is crazy. i would try to commute from your nyc burbs. housing loans arent worth it and when you look back it will feel dumb having to pay 30-40k just for housing.

i'm on my own in the burbs,not with my parents, so i pay almost as much in rent now as i would in the city. plus the hour commute to greenwich village, doesn't seem worth it (train into gct, which is $300/month and then the subway downtown)

according to mylsn, fordham is way pickier than they have a right to be considering their ranking, but we'll see what happens. i wasn't expecting this much money from dozo so maybe my softs are better than i thought

i think the reason y they r so picky is bc many of the students who apply have really high stats and also apply to Columbia/NYU and those schools only take but so many and fordham aims to swoop up many of those ppl who arent accepted but want to be in the nyc market

but i think ur numbers are good enough, too bad im not on the admissions team right? lol

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:24 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

i think the reason y they r so picky is bc many of the students who apply have really high stats and also apply to Columbia/NYU and those schools only take but so many and fordham aims to swoop up many of those ppl who arent accepted but want to be in the nyc market

but i think ur numbers are good enough, too bad im not on the admissions team right? lol

i've actually thought that too... location location location

snarfing

Postby snarfing » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Anyone going to the campus visit on the 20th? I got an email about it a couple days ago and they mentioned travel reimbursement, anyone know how much they reimburse? Not sure if its worth going to since I'm a 7 hr drive and its a monday (still in classes so would miss a lot).

Also has anyone ever tried negotiating a stipend in addition to a full scholarship?

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm

snarfing wrote:Anyone going to the campus visit on the 20th? I got an email about it a couple days ago and they mentioned travel reimbursement, anyone know how much they reimburse? Not sure if its worth going to since I'm a 7 hr drive and its a monday (still in classes so would miss a lot).

Also has anyone ever tried negotiating a stipend in addition to a full scholarship?

i think i'm going on the 20th.

to your second question, i just posted the same question in the financial aid section. 1 person last year got a "full+" scholarship, so not likely :(

aryi3025

Postby aryi3025 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:36 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
snarfing wrote:Anyone going to the campus visit on the 20th? I got an email about it a couple days ago and they mentioned travel reimbursement, anyone know how much they reimburse? Not sure if its worth going to since I'm a 7 hr drive and its a monday (still in classes so would miss a lot).

i think i'm going on the 20th.

to your second question, i just posted the same question in the financial aid section. 1 person last year got a "full+" scholarship, so not likely :(

i'll be at the 20th with another student! If you call the admissions office they will gladly give you info about stipends. The farther you are the more they will supply. we are heading from california so they said up to 400 each for us. i hope they do stipends! i imagine the later you go into the cycle the more leverage you have

Ferrisjso
Comptroller General of Cloudcuckooland

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:14 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Fordham is definitely better but at the end of the day they give out less scholarships than Cardozo and the question becomes how much money is the 15% higher BL/FC number(I know most don't want Big Law but it's still a good indicator of quality) worth? As late as last year when Cardozo largely gave out conditional scholly's that question probably leaned towards Fordham but the new unconditional scholly policy changes alot, especially for the NYC people who can commute. COL changes everything though.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

Fordham is definitely better but at the end of the day they give out less scholarships than Cardozo and the question becomes how much money is the 15% higher BL/FC number(I know most don't want Big Law but it's still a good indicator of quality) worth? As late as last year when Cardozo largely gave out conditional scholly's that question probably leaned towards Fordham but the new unconditional scholly policy changes alot, especially for the NYC people who can commute. COL changes everything though.

ah i kno, its hard for me to decide bc fordham and cardozo gave me a lot and fordhams skolly requires you to basically not fail out, which isnt a big difference. i am also in nyc.

i also am aiming to work off most of my debt before i graduate. this debt is ridiculous. i wish law schools were like cooper union (the still free for students?) you are expected to educate yourself and if you make just enogh money to get by you have to shell out $$$ as if everything is made of money. then you have all this debt and still back at square one or worse off than where you started...

what a rat race man

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Cooper union isn't even free anymore smh

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:37 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:
lillawyer2 wrote:

ah i kno, its hard for me to decide bc fordham and cardozo gave me a lot and fordhams skolly requires you to basically not fail out, which isnt a big difference. i am also in nyc.

i also am aiming to work off most of my debt before i graduate. this debt is ridiculous. i wish law schools were like cooper union (the still free for students?) you are expected to educate yourself and if you make just enogh money to get by you have to shell out $$$ as if everything is made of money. then you have all this debt and still back at square one or worse off than where you started...

what a rat race man

Last month NY state announced all SUNY's would be tuition free for UG for non wealthy people.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:28 pm

damn just missed the cut by like 6 yrs lol

ml530

Postby ml530 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I got waitlisted 1/5/17, went on a school tour on 2/2 and had an interview with Assistant Dean of Admissions. Numbers are 152/3.5. Thinking about May entry but I'm finishing my last semester of college at the end of May.
Has anyone here been taken off the waitlist? Anyone doing May-entry? Thoughts on May-entry right out of college??

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:21 pm

ml530 wrote:I got waitlisted 1/5/17, went on a school tour on 2/2 and had an interview with Assistant Dean of Admissions. Numbers are 152/3.5. Thinking about May entry but I'm finishing my last semester of college at the end of May.
Has anyone here been taken off the waitlist? Anyone doing May-entry? Thoughts on May-entry right out of college??

Were you admitted for May entry? Or do they give WLs the option to enter in May? In terms of going right after college, that's a personal decision you will have to make. I myself couldn't do it, but if you think you can and have the option and don't want to wait a year then I say why not. Also, did you send a LOCI? Not sure how big their waitlist is, but if you're willing to ride it out there is always a chance!

ml530

Postby ml530 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
ml530 wrote:I got waitlisted 1/5/17, went on a school tour on 2/2 and had an interview with Assistant Dean of Admissions. Numbers are 152/3.5. Thinking about May entry but I'm finishing my last semester of college at the end of May.

Were you admitted for May entry? Or do they give WLs the option to enter in May? In terms of going right after college, that's a personal decision you will have to make. I myself couldn't do it, but if you think you can and have the option and don't want to wait a year then I say why not. Also, did you send a LOCI? Not sure how big their waitlist is, but if you're willing to ride it out there is always a chance!

I can request consideration for May entry. When I met with the Dean she actually told me there's a higher chance of getting accepted into May. Working on my LOCI now, also sending updated transcript from first semester senior year and a new letter of recommendation.

aryi3025

Postby aryi3025 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:11 pm

anyone going to ASD tomorrow!? ill
be there with another admitted student.

snarfing

Postby snarfing » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 pm

aryi3025 wrote:anyone going to ASD tomorrow!? ill

I really wanted to but couldnt due to some projects I have coming up, hopefully will be there in march though. Let me know how it goes!

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 am

aryi3025 wrote:anyone going to ASD tomorrow!? ill

no bc i refused to spend my day off work doing something other than sleeping all day.

i work to hard for such few precious moments

Ferrisjso

Postby Ferrisjso » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm at school out of state, otherwise I would have went. I'll be going to the second one! Seeing as most TLS potential Cardozoers seem like they didn't go to ASW #1 maybe we could organize a group thing?

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 pm

How was ASD yesterday for those who attended? Any thoughts to share?

circle.the.wagons

Postby circle.the.wagons » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Charlie802 wrote:How was ASD yesterday for those who attended? Any thoughts to share?

I went.

It was nice to see the school, which was pretty generic college feeling, and get familiar with the area, which is amazing, but it was obvious everyone was on their best behavior. i didn't learn too much that i couldn't tell online i don't think. i was pretty tired too so i didn't do much mingling and socializing but the free beer was nice.

maybe because i was tired, i didn't feel super excited at the end, but the more i'm thinking about it, cardozo seems to make a bit of sense for me. we'll see.

Charlie802

Postby Charlie802 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
Charlie802 wrote:How was ASD yesterday for those who attended? Any thoughts to share?

I went.

It was nice to see the school, which was pretty generic college feeling, and get familiar with the area, which is amazing, but it was obvious everyone was on their best behavior. i didn't learn too much that i couldn't tell online i don't think. i was pretty tired too so i didn't do much mingling and socializing but the free beer was nice.

maybe because i was tired, i didn't feel super excited at the end, but the more i'm thinking about it, cardozo seems to make a bit of sense for me. we'll see.

Good to know. Do you think you would have learned more from a one-on-one visit with a current student (not part of admissions)? I have an in with one and am considering that route over ASD. Also- did you do a housing tour? I have heard the Alabama is AWESOME.

lillawyer2

Postby lillawyer2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Charlie802 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:

I went.

Good to know. Do you think you would have learned more from a one-on-one visit with a current student (not part of admissions)? I have an in with one and am considering that route over ASD. Also- did you do a housing tour? I have heard the Alabama is EXPENSIVE.

peep my edit.

The Alabama is a good way to throw 60k-80k down the drain. When I saw the price I said NOPE. That is a rip off. It is a nice building, but they priced it too high. I mean way high. I don't imagine many law students are loaded and can throw money away on housing just because it's pretty. I wanted to ask Cardozo did their students have job offers waiting for them that justified throwing $$$ on housing.

I had a full tuition skolly in UG. I splurged on housing and lived in the nicest apartments. I graduated and looked at my student loans and wanted to kick myself. I would have been debt free graduating college, if I didn't waste money on stupid shit. I didn't even spend most of my time in the apartment to justify the cost. I could have stayed doeming or found a cheap apt.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”