Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baseballfan660
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby baseballfan660 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:29 pm

dbalkaran wrote:I was bored at work and put this together just to show how much of a crock the USNWR rankings are when it comes to strong regionals.

I compared George Washington which is ranked #30 to Brooklyn which is ranked #88 to see how many current associates are employed by V10 firms in NYC. GW is known as a trap school which is why I chose that particular one to compare it with. Weil has a weird way of listing employees so I couldn't get numbers for them.

http://imgur.com/a/BpSkU

i don't think its a fair comparison unless you also now add the V10 firms from D.C. You're taking Brooklyn's home market, and not GW's.

User avatar
dbalkaran
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby dbalkaran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm

baseballfan660 wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:I was bored at work and put this together just to show how much of a crock the USNWR rankings are when it comes to strong regionals.

I compared George Washington which is ranked #30 to Brooklyn which is ranked #88 to see how many current associates are employed by V10 firms in NYC. GW is known as a trap school which is why I chose that particular one to compare it with. Weil has a weird way of listing employees so I couldn't get numbers for them.

http://imgur.com/a/BpSkU

i don't think its a fair comparison unless you also now add the V10 firms from D.C. You're taking Brooklyn's home market, and not GW's.


I think a lot of people are led to believe a Tier I (Top 50) school can place you anywhere, but that's just not true. Outside of the T14 there are few schools that can compete with strong regionals in their home market, so I was just attempting to show how a Tier I school doesn't necessarily guarantee you better job prospects if you want employment outside of their home market. You can pick almost any school from 15-50 and get similar results. I think outside of the T20 there are going to be a lot of instances where you're probably better off choosing the school closest to the city you want to work in that will give you the most $$$ as opposed to just blindly choosing the highest USNWR ranked school.

babygap5
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby babygap5 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:01 pm

I have been "in review" since March 3. What does UR2 stand for? Will my status change to that as it moves forward? I'm checking the status checker daily for updates.

User avatar
dbalkaran
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby dbalkaran » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:22 pm

babygap5 wrote:I have been "in review" since March 3. What does UR2 stand for? Will my status change to that as it moves forward? I'm checking the status checker daily for updates.


Don't think so.

User avatar
thefuturewoods
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby thefuturewoods » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 pm

babygap5 wrote:I have been "in review" since March 3. What does UR2 stand for? Will my status change to that as it moves forward? I'm checking the status checker daily for updates.


My date has changed a bunch but it has always said "In Review"!

babygap5
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby babygap5 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

I am so anxious, this waiting game isn't fun at all. I applied for the part time 4 year program and I've been out of school for about 20 years. I wish everyone the best in this process, and I'm really hoping that I hear something soon.

User avatar
dbalkaran
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby dbalkaran » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

babygap5 wrote:I am so anxious, this waiting game isn't fun at all. I applied for the part time 4 year program and I've been out of school for about 20 years. I wish everyone the best in this process, and I'm really hoping that I hear something soon.


Their deposit deadline is 4/15 so you should hear within the next couple of weeks.

aaronkainth95
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby aaronkainth95 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 pm

So quick question, my current status and current status date just went blank, but I do not see a decision update. However, the requirements changed and it now says Official Final Transcript, does this mean anything?

User avatar
thefuturewoods
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby thefuturewoods » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:54 pm

aaronkainth95 wrote:So quick question, my current status and current status date just went blank, but I do not see a decision update. However, the requirements changed and it now says Official Final Transcript, does this mean anything?


Almost positive from what I've read about Brooklyn that that means an acceptance is coming your way! Keep us updated. Mine still hasn't moved from 3/6, wishing I was on the same boat as you!

aaronkainth95
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby aaronkainth95 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:51 pm

thefuturewoods wrote:
aaronkainth95 wrote:So quick question, my current status and current status date just went blank, but I do not see a decision update. However, the requirements changed and it now says Official Final Transcript, does this mean anything?


Almost positive from what I've read about Brooklyn that that means an acceptance is coming your way! Keep us updated. Mine still hasn't moved from 3/6, wishing I was on the same boat as you!



Was just accepted!! Status check is still blank but I received the email. Scholarship was not as much as I expected. Will try to negotiate. Super excited though!

babygap5
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby babygap5 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Congratulations!!!

aaronkainth95
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby aaronkainth95 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:56 pm

babygap5 wrote:Congratulations!!!


Thank you very much! For those still waiting, I did email them yesterday just asking for how long this process usually take and I received a decision today. Not saying that this is what caused them to send a decision, but I'm assuming it did help

User avatar
thefuturewoods
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby thefuturewoods » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:27 pm

aaronkainth95 wrote:
babygap5 wrote:Congratulations!!!


Thank you very much! For those still waiting, I did email them yesterday just asking for how long this process usually take and I received a decision today. Not saying that this is what caused them to send a decision, but I'm assuming it did help


I e-mailed them the 20th and never heard back so I'm hoping that they got the message!!

babygap5
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby babygap5 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Does anyone know if it takes as long for an acceptance as it would a rejection?

nikakm
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby nikakm » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 pm

aaronkainth95 wrote:
babygap5 wrote:Congratulations!!!


Thank you very much! For those still waiting, I did email them yesterday just asking for how long this process usually take and I received a decision today. Not saying that this is what caused them to send a decision, but I'm assuming it did help


I did the same thing today & they sent me my acceptance within a few hours. Congrats to everyone on their acceptances!

User avatar
dbalkaran
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby dbalkaran » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm

For anyone deciding between St. John's and Brooklyn...

http://imgur.com/a/NdicE

quietnoise
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:12 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby quietnoise » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:58 am

My status went blank yday when I checked around 9:30 pm and it wasn't blank when I checked that morning at 10am. I haven't received an email yet. I did receive an email about a Barbri scholarship opportunity for first year students. Did anyone else receive this?

aaronkainth95
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby aaronkainth95 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am

quietnoise wrote:My status went blank yday when I checked around 9:30 pm and it wasn't blank when I checked that morning at 10am. I haven't received an email yet. I did receive an email about a Barbri scholarship opportunity for first year students. Did anyone else receive this?



Yup received it this morning. Under requirements does it say official final transcript? If so, I think you will have some good news coming your way!

aaronkainth95
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby aaronkainth95 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:43 am

Also, what would be some peer schools that I can use to negotiate this scholarship with Brooklyn Law? Still waiting on St. Johns, but I have $$$ from Pace and NYLS. But, I wouldn't know if Brooklyn would count those schools as peer schools

quietnoise
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:12 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby quietnoise » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:17 pm

In with $35k/year.

With the new rankings out, would I be able to negotiate with Rutgers? I'm trying to decide between the two while I wait out Seton Hall Fordham and my out-of-reach, Columbia. I would get in-state and have the ability to live with a relative paying about $250/ month in "rent".


I'm waitlisted at WUSTL, but I don't think they'd give me much money so I'm not really considering them.

Edit: I currently "live" in NY, and absolutely love Brooklyn Heights and NYC in general, but maybe Rutgers will start placing more people in bigger firms?

User avatar
dbalkaran
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby dbalkaran » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:17 am

aaronkainth95 wrote:Also, what would be some peer schools that I can use to negotiate this scholarship with Brooklyn Law? Still waiting on St. Johns, but I have $$$ from Pace and NYLS. But, I wouldn't know if Brooklyn would count those schools as peer schools


I think they would consider St. John's and Cardozo peer schools, but Pace and NYLS are generally seen as below Brooklyn.

toplaw01
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:53 am

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby toplaw01 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:35 am

baseballfan660 wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:I was bored at work and put this together just to show how much of a crock the USNWR rankings are when it comes to strong regionals.

I compared George Washington which is ranked #30 to Brooklyn which is ranked #88 to see how many current associates are employed by V10 firms in NYC. GW is known as a trap school which is why I chose that particular one to compare it with. Weil has a weird way of listing employees so I couldn't get numbers for them.

http://imgur.com/a/BpSkU

i don't think its a fair comparison unless you also now add the V10 firms from D.C. You're taking Brooklyn's home market, and not GW's.

In my two cents of view , it's still better if you go to Tier 1 law school with $$ instead of tier 2 $$$$ or tier 3-4 full ride . It's particularly true when it applies to top 1-30 law school with $. I think the reputation of tier 1( 1-30) is substantially better than tier 2,3 . Your degree will go with you for the rest of your life . And $$$ can't compensate the people's judge when they hear your school's name

User avatar
dbalkaran
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby dbalkaran » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:11 am

toplaw01 wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:I was bored at work and put this together just to show how much of a crock the USNWR rankings are when it comes to strong regionals.

I compared George Washington which is ranked #30 to Brooklyn which is ranked #88 to see how many current associates are employed by V10 firms in NYC. GW is known as a trap school which is why I chose that particular one to compare it with. Weil has a weird way of listing employees so I couldn't get numbers for them.

http://imgur.com/a/BpSkU

i don't think its a fair comparison unless you also now add the V10 firms from D.C. You're taking Brooklyn's home market, and not GW's.

In my two cents of view , it's still better if you go to Tier 1 law school with $$ instead of tier 2 $$$$ or tier 3-4 full ride . It's particularly true when it applies to top 1-30 law school with $. I think the reputation of tier 1( 1-30) is substantially better than tier 2,3 . Your degree will go with you for the rest of your life . And $$$ can't compensate the people's judge when they hear your school's name


I guess I should have clarified...GW is a trap school for people who want to practice in NYC. I don't think going there gives you a significant leg up over Brooklyn, Cardozo, or Fordham students.

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby bitter_melon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 am

Just withdrew a significant scholarship offer, hope that this opens up a spot and money for someone else.

ml530
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law c/o 2020

Postby ml530 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know if it's possible to negotiate a scholarship offer if I wasn't granted any? I was admitted with full rides to all lower-tier schools in NYC that I applied to (Hofstra, NYL, Pace) but wasn't offered a penny from Brooklyn. I know that's not exactly the best leverage to negotiate with but the idea of taking out +$150k in loans for Brooklyn doesn't sound too good.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests