GW (50k scholarship) vs. GULC

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
salonim

New

GW (50k scholarship) vs. GULC

Postby salonim » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi everyone,

Wanted to get someone's opinion on this: I was accepted to both George Washington and Georgetown, however George Washington is offering me a $50k per year scholarship. Georgetown hasn't mentioned anything about a scholarship. I did some research and I don't think they have a process to apply for a scholarship post-acceptance (correct me if I'm wrong).

Which one would be the better option? Obviously, GW's offer of $50k per year is a really good amount. At the same time, GULC is a T-14 and I don't want to regret not enrolling there.

If anyone could provide their opinion/feedback on this, with reasons why they'd lean one way or the other, it would be very helpful! Thank you!

EDIT: I also got into Duke and UCLA, and am waiting on a few other schools. So I'm not just limiting myself to age and GULC, I just wanted a comparison of the two.
Last edited by salonim on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rubbishdump

Bronze

Re: GW (50k scholarship) vs. GULC

Postby Rubbishdump » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Wait until you hear more from GULC. My understanding is that you aren't always notified of your scholarship in an acceptance letter.

addie1412

Silver

Postby addie1412 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Any other options?

Leliana

Bronze

Postby Leliana » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:05 pm

It's still really early in the cycle... wait and see if you get $$ from GULC. The Georgetown thread says they probably won't be sending out scholly info until February or so.

Also, did you apply to any other schools you could use to negotiate with GULC? Might be a good idea.

LawSchoolTitan

New

Postby LawSchoolTitan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:09 pm

When the time comes, you should post this in "Choosing A Law School...", you'd probably get more help there too.

emkay625

Gold

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:31 pm

I would apply to 2-3 schools similarly ranked to Georgetown (UT, Vanderbilt, Cornell, UCLA) and see if I got offers from them. If you do, use them to negotiate.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:02 am

well what are your stats relative to GULC's medians? based on that you can figure out how much money to expect from them.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:46 am

salonim wrote:Hi everyone,

Wanted to get someone's opinion on this: I was accepted to both George Washington and Georgetown, however George Washington is offering me a $50k per year scholarship. Georgetown hasn't mentioned anything about a scholarship. I did some research and I don't think they have a process to apply for a scholarship post-acceptance (correct me if I'm wrong).

Which one should I choose? Obviously, GW's offer of $50k per year is a really good amount. At the same time, GULC is a T-14 and I don't want to regret not enrolling there.

If anyone could provide their opinion/feedback on this, with reasons why they'd lean one way or the other, it would be very helpful! Thank you!

neither, retake to get better options or don't go

salonim

New

Postby salonim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:28 am

addie1412 wrote:Any other options?

Yeah, I was also accepted at Duke and UCLA so far.

UCLA let me know that they are considering me for a merit scholarship, and Duke has a scholarship application process starting in December.

salonim

New

Postby salonim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:30 am

Leliana wrote:It's still really early in the cycle... wait and see if you get $$ from GULC. The Georgetown thread says they probably won't be sending out scholly info until February or so.

Also, did you apply to any other schools you could use to negotiate with GULC? Might be a good idea.

Oh okay!

I may be able to negotiate if Duke, UCLA, or some other school offers me a scholarship.

salonim

New

Postby salonim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:31 am

proteinshake wrote:well what are your stats relative to GULC's medians? based on that you can figure out how much money to expect from them.

I have a 167 LSAT and 3.85 GPA. Not greater than GULC's 75th percentile LSAT, but definitely on the higher end of their range.

galeatus

Silver

Postby galeatus » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:44 am

salonim wrote:
Leliana wrote:It's still really early in the cycle... wait and see if you get $$ from GULC. The Georgetown thread says they probably won't be sending out scholly info until February or so.

Oh okay!

I may be able to negotiate if Duke, UCLA, or some other school offers me a scholarship.

I think you need to fill out a form in order to be considered for scholly (for both merit and need-based) at Duke after being accepted

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 am

curry1 wrote:
salonim wrote:Hi everyone,

Which one should I choose? Obviously, GW's offer of $50k per year is a really good amount. At the same time, GULC is a T-14 and I don't want to regret not enrolling there.

neither, retake to get better options or don't go

I agree with a retake, but 150k at GW is not an objectively terrible decision and I don know if "don't go" is necessarily the right advice.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:34 am

salonim wrote:
proteinshake wrote:well what are your stats relative to GULC's medians? based on that you can figure out how much money to expect from them.

I have a 167 LSAT and 3.85 GPA. Not greater than GULC's 75th percentile LSAT, but definitely on the higher end of their range.

why are you only considering GULC and GW? you will get ~$100K from Cornell with those numbers.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Postby Justtrying2help » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:38 am

Last edited by Justtrying2help on Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:51 am

proteinshake wrote:
salonim wrote:

why are you only considering GULC and GW? you will get ~$100K from Cornell with those numbers.

Probably impatience

salonim

New

Postby salonim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:06 pm

proteinshake wrote:
salonim wrote:

I'm definitely considering other options as well, I'm waiting on a few other schools to get back to me. I just wanted an initial comparison of GW vs GULC, with the scholarship in mind.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists�