Miami Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoYouEvenTLS

Re: Miami Law c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:16 am

zerato5 wrote:Tried to negotiate the scholarship amount and was shot down. Oh well

Hey, mind sending me a PM about this? I'm curious to see how it went down. I planned on doing some negotiating in the coming months as well. Mind sending stats as well if you're ok with it?

donosti

Postby donosti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:20 am

zerato5 wrote:Tried to negotiate the scholarship amount and was shot down. Oh well

Would you mind PMing me as well?

jag13

Postby jag13 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Also tried negotiating and completely shot down.

DoYouEvenTLS

Postby DoYouEvenTLS » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:32 pm

jag13 wrote:Also tried negotiating and completely shot down.

Dang. Miami really stingy, huh?

jag13

Postby jag13 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:12 pm

DoYouEvenTLS wrote:
jag13 wrote:Also tried negotiating and completely shot down.

Dang. Miami really stingy, huh?

Seems like it, they weren't very high on my list anyways.

0LawSchool

Postby 0LawSchool » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Has anyone successfully requested an application fee waiver?

jag13

Postby jag13 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:18 pm

0LawSchool wrote:Has anyone successfully requested an application fee waiver?

I got an unsolicited one, to be honest I would just ask. I can't imagine they wouldn't give you one.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Damn Mimai is fast, went complete on 1/4 got a decision on 1/5. No mention of scholly though so hopefully I get a call in a few days like everyone else.

redbulls2595

Postby redbulls2595 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Hey guys! I recently got accepted to Miami back in late December via email, but I haven't received any admissions package or scholarship notification email since then. I wanted to know if anyone got their admissions package recently.

smashbash

Postby smashbash » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:28 pm

redbulls2595 wrote:Hey guys! I recently got accepted to Miami back in late December via email, but I haven't received any admissions package or scholarship notification email since then. I wanted to know if anyone got their admissions package recently.

It was at least 2-2.5 weeks after being admitted that I got the call from the dean offering me scholly... and then even longer to get the acceptance package (*folder).

emmbeegee

Postby emmbeegee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:34 am

Still waiting on my CAS to be completed... my UG transcript finally mailed on 1/12 despite putting in my request on 12/1. I requested my grad transcripts the same day and LSAC had them within a week. Infuriating, whatever.

3.65 and 166, had a great meeting with a dean last week, hoping for serious $$ and feeling cautiously optimistic based on results that have been posted here and on LSN. Because of my husband's job, relocation options are limited and Miami is the best fit for both of us. I'm really glad to hear that decisions have been made so quickly, I'm ready to have plans for next year in place.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:18 pm

emmbeegee wrote:Still waiting on my CAS to be completed... my UG transcript finally mailed on 1/12 despite putting in my request on 12/1. I requested my grad transcripts the same day and LSAC had them within a week. Infuriating, whatever.

3.65 and 166, had a great meeting with a dean last week, hoping for serious $$ and feeling cautiously optimistic based on results that have been posted here and on LSN. Because of my husband's job, relocation options are limited and Miami is the best fit for both of us. I'm really glad to hear that decisions have been made so quickly, I'm ready to have plans for next year in place.

Hey, this might be awkward, but I think we talked on Reddit like a week ago lol! How'd you're meeting with the dean go and how'd you like the campus?

emmbeegee

Postby emmbeegee » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:29 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
emmbeegee wrote:Still waiting on my CAS to be completed... my UG transcript finally mailed on 1/12 despite putting in my request on 12/1. I requested my grad transcripts the same day and LSAC had them within a week. Infuriating, whatever.

Hey, this might be awkward, but I think we talked on Reddit like a week ago lol! How'd you're meeting with the dean go and how'd you like the campus?

hahaha yes thats me! I recognize your name. I think it went REALLY well, thanks for asking! He mentioned a lot of specific details from my PS and CV (had read my application with some degree of interest at least) and we spent an hour or so talking about normal admissions stuff, plus some mutually interesting art-related cases from recent years. Got a lot of good info on electives and internships/SAs that people with similar interests have taken... As a K-PhD-JD, I was worried about being seen as a "professional student" type, and I feel much better now that we spoke one on one and I was able to make it clear that I have a specific goal in mind.

I know Miami isn't exactly HYS, but like I said, with a husband and stepchild, relocation options are limited and this is a good match. My stats are at/above their 75th, and I'm a good fit for the "arts" segment of the sports/entertainment/art track that they're really trying to build right now, so my fingers are crossed for full scholly.

What's your status right now?

lonola

Postby lonola » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:27 pm

emmbeegee wrote:I know Miami isn't exactly HYS, but like I said, with a husband and stepchild, relocation options are limited and this is a good match. My stats are at/above their 75th, and I'm a good fit for the "arts" segment of the sports/entertainment/art track that they're really trying to build right now, so my fingers are crossed for full scholly.

Based on how they've been giving out scholarships this year you should be a shoe-in.

also any y'all going to the scholarship weekend deal in late february? holleratcha boy

WamBamThankYouMaam

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:35 pm

emmbeegee wrote:

hahaha yes thats me! I recognize your name. I think it went REALLY well, thanks for asking! He mentioned a lot of specific details from my PS and CV (had read my application with some degree of interest at least) and we spent an hour or so talking about normal admissions stuff, plus some mutually interesting art-related cases from recent years. Got a lot of good info on electives and internships/SAs that people with similar interests have taken... As a K-PhD-JD, I was worried about being seen as a "professional student" type, and I feel much better now that we spoke one on one and I was able to make it clear that I have a specific goal in mind.

I know Miami isn't exactly HYS, but like I said, with a husband and stepchild, relocation options are limited and this is a good match. My stats are at/above their 75th, and I'm a good fit for the "arts" segment of the sports/entertainment/art track that they're really trying to build right now, so my fingers are crossed for full scholly.

That's good, it sounds like you got some great info about the kind of law you want to do. I'm still waiting to hear about scholarships, but I'm not as worried because in the acceptance package it says scholarship notification is generally 3-4 weeks after admission. I live in South Florida right now and I'd love to stay here if they show me the money. I'm interested in public interest law more than anything else so I'm trying to minimize debt as much as possible.

ae5672

Postby ae5672 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Applied 1/16 and Accepted 1/18

3.5 GPA
159 LSAT

offered $26,000 a year dean's merit scholarship

do they offer need-based grants later in the spring??

emmbeegee

Postby emmbeegee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 pm

emmbeegee wrote:

That's good, it sounds like you got some great info about the kind of law you want to do. I'm still waiting to hear about scholarships, but I'm not as worried because in the acceptance package it says scholarship notification is generally 3-4 weeks after admission. I live in South Florida right now and I'd love to stay here if they show me the money. I'm interested in public interest law more than anything else so I'm trying to minimize debt as much as possible.

Did you apply for the Miami Scholars Public Interest program? Hope you hear good news soon.

Are you close to Miami or will you need to move if that's where you go? We're under contract on a condo in Ft Lauderdale... I know the commute will be a bitch, but I've had a 90 commute for the last five years so it's nothing new I guess.

emmbeegee

Postby emmbeegee » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 am

lonola wrote:
emmbeegee wrote:I know Miami isn't exactly HYS, but like I said, with a husband and stepchild, relocation options are limited and this is a good match. My stats are at/above their 75th, and I'm a good fit for the "arts" segment of the sports/entertainment/art track that they're really trying to build right now, so my fingers are crossed for full scholly.

Based on how they've been giving out scholarships this year you should be a shoe-in.

also any y'all going to the scholarship weekend deal in late february? holleratcha boy

Full ride baby! Got the call last night.

templehayden

Postby templehayden » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Anyone know if they offer a stipend to go down and visit the campus on ASD?

ap23

Postby ap23 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Anyone else still waiting on scholarship info? I was accepted on 1/11 and never received a call for scholarship info. Received the admitted students packet but that did not have scholarship info either. Lots of others on LSN who were accepted after me have posted their info, so starting to be a bit curious.

soneill2113

Postby soneill2113 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:31 pm

ap23 wrote:Anyone else still waiting on scholarship info? I was accepted on 1/11 and never received a call for scholarship info. Received the admitted students packet but that did not have scholarship info either. Lots of others on LSN who were accepted after me have posted their info, so starting to be a bit curious.

Same. I am starting to think that means no $$$

smashbash

Postby smashbash » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 am

soneill2113 wrote:
ap23 wrote:Anyone else still waiting on scholarship info? I was accepted on 1/11 and never received a call for scholarship info. Received the admitted students packet but that did not have scholarship info either. Lots of others on LSN who were accepted after me have posted their info, so starting to be a bit curious.

Same. I am starting to think that means no $$$

I wouldn't lose all hope. When I got accepted I felt like everyone had gotten a call from the Dean either the day of admittance, or the day after, and I received it about 2 weeks later (and the scholarship letter even later). Plus, it may take even longer now since it's later on in the cycle. If your GPA and/or LSAT is above the median you probably will receive something. Some schools that I've gotten into that I've been below both medians I've even gotten some money.

On another note, has anyone had any luck getting more $$ finally? I keep putting off negotiating and I really need to get on it.

BarMan

Postby BarMan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Yeah I'm in the same boat--- got accepted only a week ago via e-mail with no scholly info. From what it looks like, Miami doesn't seem to have a standard system for acceptances or providing scholly info--- some get e-mails, letters, or calls and find out about $$ at different times. So hopefully, for all of us, it's upcoming!

WamBamThankYouMaam

Postby WamBamThankYouMaam » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:12 pm

BarMan wrote:

Yeah I'm in the same boat--- got accepted only a week ago via e-mail with no scholly info. From what it looks like, Miami doesn't seem to have a standard system for acceptances or providing scholly info--- some get e-mails, letters, or calls and find out about $$ at different times. So hopefully, for all of us, it's upcoming!

I'm also in the same boat, Miami is also pretty stingy for being ranked where they are. According to their 2015 509 only 38% of students received a scholarship. I sent them my offers from W&L and SMU and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I won't be attending Miami at sticker.

emmbeegee

Postby emmbeegee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:19 pm

BarMan wrote:

Can confirm, no standard system. My admissions phone call included my scholly offer, then my snail mail packet had nothing in it about my scholarship (which may or may not have caused a brief panic that I misunderstood what the dean told me on the phone about funding, haha), and finally I got an email with the scholly details in writing after that.

I hope you get an answer soon so you can start making plans for yourself!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”