UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mudiverse

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mudiverse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:
mudiverse wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Anyone receive their admissions packet yet?

Not I - they said around this week and I am assuming it's going to come by physical mail. Very curious to see any scholarship $$ since I'm from out of state.

Nice. UCI is pretty much in my backyard, so hoping I get it soon. Will update when it comes. Good luck to you.

Same to you brother. Can I ask you as a local, how would you describe the area to someone who has never been there? Is the legal industry doing well in the area? I'm planning a visit this Spring but just trying to wrap my head around the whole SoCal thing.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

SoCal is awesome.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:08 pm

mudiverse wrote:
mudiverse wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Anyone receive their admissions packet yet?

Not I - they said around this week and I am assuming it's going to come by physical mail. Very curious to see any scholarship $$ since I'm from out of state.

Nice. UCI is pretty much in my backyard, so hoping I get it soon. Will update when it comes. Good luck to you.

Same to you brother. Can I ask you as a local, how would you describe the area to someone who has never been there? Is the legal industry doing well in the area? I'm planning a visit this Spring but just trying to wrap my head around the whole SoCal thing.

Well I've only lived in the area for about 9 months, but my partner is from the area and I've gathered what I think is a good sense of the scene in my time here.

Orange County is divided into north and south county. North county is more racially and economically diverse. South county is largely white and more upper-middle class to upper class. These factors bring different results - I would say in north county you have more possibilities to do public interest work - immigration, criminal defense, etc. In south county, it seems more corporate/business and representing people with large pockets. It's sort of like in every town, where there is the poor side and the rich side, except it's more about regions in the county here. All this is to say I think the legal industry is doing well here, whether you're interested in PI or corporate.

In terms of the area, it's beautiful. Only now that it's December are the temperatures going down, but even then it's in the low 60s. Lots of beaches not too far from UCI (15-20min). Driving blows. It's like LA traffic just a little smaller. At least in south county there are a lot of shitty drivers that feel entitled to the right of way. But I think it goes hand in hand with the area feeling pretty safe (ppl act different than if they were on the road in LA). Also, it's its own little hub. There's the LA area, then OC area, then San Diego. They're all relatively close (an hour- hour and a half), but sort of exclusive of each other.

Once again, these are just my insights, so don't take it as gospel. I may be wrong. But that's what I've observed since moving here. It's a great place to be. I'd like to stay if I could. But yeah, let me know if you have any other questions!

And update - no packet in the mail today.

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Received my packet in the mail today and the offer was very competitive. I'm continuously impressed with UCI and will have to start thinking seriously about it. My only concern is that UCI employment stats more or less lock you into public interest, which I like but am not certain is a sustainable lifetime career path.

cyclawps

Bronze

Postby cyclawps » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:31 pm

mudiverse wrote:Received my packet in the mail today and the offer was very competitive. I'm continuously impressed with UCI and will have to start thinking seriously about it. My only concern is that UCI employment stats more or less lock you into public interest, which I like but am not certain is a sustainable lifetime career path.

Congratulations!!

The packet has arrived at my place as well, but I haven't made it home yet to open it. I won't be there for several hours, unfortunately.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:34 pm

cyclawps wrote:
mudiverse wrote:Received my packet in the mail today and the offer was very competitive. I'm continuously impressed with UCI and will have to start thinking seriously about it. My only concern is that UCI employment stats more or less lock you into public interest, which I like but am not certain is a sustainable lifetime career path.

Congratulations!!

The packet has arrived at my place as well, but I haven't made it home yet to open it. I won't be there for several hours, unfortunately.

Sameee.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:16 pm

More UCI alumni work in the private sector than in the the public sector. You have a larger percentage of people going into the public sector than other schools because those people self-select UCI for its public interest mindedness. However, everyone who wanted to work in the private sector is doing just that... It is actually harder to get in the public sector jobs people are gunning for.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 pm

zot1 wrote:

More UCI alumni work in the private sector than in the the public sector. You have a larger percentage of people going into the public sector than other schools because those people self-select UCI for its public interest mindedness. However, everyone who wanted to work in the private sector is doing just that... It is actually harder to get in the public sector jobs people are gunning for.

Are these mostly small firms or how easy is it to get into mid-size/large firms? Thanks for your insight.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:53 pm

zot1 wrote:

Are these mostly small firms or how easy is it to get into mid-size/large firms? Thanks for your insight.

This information is public. If you go to UCI's website or the website where schools report (I'm forgetting at the moment) you can see this information.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 pm

zot1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

This information is public. If you go to UCI's website or the website where schools report (I'm forgetting at the moment) you can see this information.

I've looked and when I did, Mudiverse's theory that many UCI grads are destined to PI seemed solid to me as well. I'm asking your experience, as numbers only say so much.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:07 pm

zot1 wrote:
zot1 wrote:

I've looked and when I did, Mudiverse's theory that many UCI grads are destined to PI seemed solid to me as well. I'm asking your experience, as numbers only say so much.

I see the problem. 95% of the people in clerkships are going to biglaw.

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Zot1, thanks for the info you're obviously more informed on this and I need to do more homework.

Another question for you - how does a clerkship translate to BigLaw? Does your judge give you a referral and that funnels you into a BigLaw position? I thought that the most common way into a large law firm was through OCI or else by a lateral move using a recruiter after gaining a few years experience.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:26 pm

I'm not obviously more informed than you. I just know the people and stay informed.

People who already have a biglaw offer go to a clerkship, which the firm is fully supportive of, then they finish, go back to their firm, and get a nice clerkship bonus.

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:39 pm

Interesting. So I see that UCI Law has 17% of the class going into clerkships in 2015 (reference: http://www.law.uci.edu/careers/students ... -2015.html). Most of these guys got recruited into BigLaw prior to entering the clerkship?

And this number isn't represented in the "Law Firm" employment count (14 people in firms with 250+)? If so, I'm surprised that the outcomes are better than I thought.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Yes, most of the clerks in the class of '15 are currently starting their first year in their biglaw firm if they were doing only one year clerkships.

No, they are not double counted. The school has to report what the student is doing at the time of the survey, not what their plans for the future are.

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:04 pm

Got my packet on Friday. No full ride, but pretty damn close. :)

dannyswo

Gold

Postby dannyswo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Got my packet on Friday. No full ride, but pretty damn close. :)

Damn, nice.

mudiverse

Bronze

Postby mudiverse » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:07 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Got my packet on Friday. No full ride, but pretty damn close. :)

Big congrats. You thinking of being an anteater?

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:54 pm

mudiverse wrote:

Big congrats. You thinking of being an anteater?

Thanks man. Definitely. Probably my number 1 choice right now, as it could be a chance to have a debt free law degree.

Megs12

New

Postby Megs12 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Just got accepted by email :D

When did you submit?

Assasindowntheavenue

Silver

Postby Assasindowntheavenue » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Megs12 wrote:
Assasindowntheavenue wrote:Just got accepted by email :D

When did you submit?

9/16

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Wait, so is there no status checker for Irvine?

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:23 pm

chandhi wrote:Wait, so is there no status checker for Irvine?

No. It's impersonal, and it will drive you nuts.

chandhi

Gold

Postby chandhi » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:17 pm

In via email! That was really quick! Submitted 12/7.

loslakers

New

Postby loslakers » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 pm

in via email (got it at about 12:30) applied 12/1 and complete 12/2.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?