UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kingwhereofis
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kingwhereofis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:You are really harping on singular words and ignoring the general point. Of course, UCI is not going to waterboard Chem until he calls twenty judges. But whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students.

@Yeezy, bringing UCI down? To the contrary. I'm a big UCI fan, and have encouraged my employers to hire them. But the notion that Chem's absence will not have an appreciable effect on employment rates is fiction.

Again, no offense, but that's just not how our community works.


You're not saying anything of substance. Tell me how the community works.


Our professors are given almost absolute academic freedom. They can teach how they want, research what they want, recommend who they want, use whatever materials they want. It is just one way that we've attracted a faculty that ranks 6th in the nation.

No one pressures, and indeed never would pressure, the Dean or any professor to recommend any more students than he or she wanted.


Goodness. Read my posts. I did not say (or mean to imply) that the school would force Chem to recommend people. What I said was that the school is obviously well-aware of his significance on clerkships, and would encourage him to continue to do so if he took a reduced role. I envision it would be as simple as "x student is tremendous, we think she has a good shot of y clerkship."

I truly, TRULY do not understand what (or why) you are disputing here. Sure, UCI's faculty is great, but every law professor has "absolute academic freedom." Every Dean recommends students for clerkships, why wouldn't they? My ultimate point was that assuming Chem does not leave, the clerkship rate will decrease, but stay healthy. That's it.


Calm down, I'm not attacking you. Here is where the dispute is. You claimed:

The school is obviously well-aware of Chem's placement power (despite the assertions to the contrary above), and would push hard to keep that train moving.


You then softened that statement claiming:

whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students


I disagreed with those statements based on my experience of the community here, the fact that our professors love to talk about how much academic freedom they've been given here at UCI, how collegiate the community is overall, and my observations of faculty interactions with other faculty members and the administration in general.

I can't speak to whether or not other law schools are the same way--all I know is it is pretty unthinkable that anyone would dare to encourage our Dean to recommend any more students than he wanted. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I'm a UCI student, I'm allowed to give my opinion on matters that concern UCI to admitted students. You're allowed to disagree. We can all get along. :)

WheninLaw
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:56 pm

abcdefg1234567 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:You are really harping on singular words and ignoring the general point. Of course, UCI is not going to waterboard Chem until he calls twenty judges. But whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students.

@Yeezy, bringing UCI down? To the contrary. I'm a big UCI fan, and have encouraged my employers to hire them. But the notion that Chem's absence will not have an appreciable effect on employment rates is fiction.

Again, no offense, but that's just not how our community works.


You're not saying anything of substance. Tell me how the community works.


Our professors are given almost absolute academic freedom. They can teach how they want, research what they want, recommend who they want, use whatever materials they want. It is just one way that we've attracted a faculty that ranks 6th in the nation.

No one pressures, and indeed never would pressure, the Dean or any professor to recommend any more students than he or she wanted.


Goodness. Read my posts. I did not say (or mean to imply) that the school would force Chem to recommend people. What I said was that the school is obviously well-aware of his significance on clerkships, and would encourage him to continue to do so if he took a reduced role. I envision it would be as simple as "x student is tremendous, we think she has a good shot of y clerkship."

I truly, TRULY do not understand what (or why) you are disputing here. Sure, UCI's faculty is great, but every law professor has "absolute academic freedom." Every Dean recommends students for clerkships, why wouldn't they? My ultimate point was that assuming Chem does not leave, the clerkship rate will decrease, but stay healthy. That's it.


Let's say he does go to Cal in the Fall, do you think that UCI's chancellor, faculty, and administrators wouldn't do all that they could to recruit an equally if not more influential dean in his place?


I'm sure they will do everything they can, and end up with someone great. But will they find someone more influential with respect to employment placement? Probably not.

Look, y'all are staking me out a position I did not take. From the beginning, all I've argued is that (i) Chem has an appreciable effect on the clerkship/boutique firm rate; (ii) if he leaves, there will be a decrease; and (iii) UCI will be fine, overall. I am not predicting the end of UCI or some free-fall in the rankings.

WheninLaw
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:59 pm

kingwhereofis wrote:I disagreed with those statements based on my experience of the community here, the fact that our professors love to talk about how much academic freedom they've been given here at UCI, how collegiate the community is overall, and my observations of faculty interactions with other faculty members and the administration in general.

I can't speak to whether or not other law schools are the same way--all I know is it is pretty unthinkable that anyone would dare to encourage our Dean to recommend any more students than he wanted. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I'm a UCI student, I'm allowed to give my opinion on matters that concern UCI to admitted students. You're allowed to disagree. We can all get along. :)


We can totally get along. I'm not defensive, just sensitive to my posts being taken out of context. And I agree with you - you have your experiences, and I have mine. I respect yours.

kingwhereofis
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby kingwhereofis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:02 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:I disagreed with those statements based on my experience of the community here, the fact that our professors love to talk about how much academic freedom they've been given here at UCI, how collegiate the community is overall, and my observations of faculty interactions with other faculty members and the administration in general.

I can't speak to whether or not other law schools are the same way--all I know is it is pretty unthinkable that anyone would dare to encourage our Dean to recommend any more students than he wanted. I don't know why you're being so defensive. I'm a UCI student, I'm allowed to give my opinion on matters that concern UCI to admitted students. You're allowed to disagree. We can all get along. :)


We can totally get along. I'm not defensive, just sensitive to my posts being taken out of context. And I agree with you - you have your experiences, and I have mine. I respect yours.


I apologize for taking your posts out of context then. I admit I don't have as much time for careful reading this time of year as I would like.

abcdefg1234567
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby abcdefg1234567 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:12 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
abcdefg1234567 wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:
kingwhereofis wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:You are really harping on singular words and ignoring the general point. Of course, UCI is not going to waterboard Chem until he calls twenty judges. But whomever the new Dean is + career services + clerkship office will certainly encourage him to reach out on behalf of star students.

@Yeezy, bringing UCI down? To the contrary. I'm a big UCI fan, and have encouraged my employers to hire them. But the notion that Chem's absence will not have an appreciable effect on employment rates is fiction.

Again, no offense, but that's just not how our community works.


You're not saying anything of substance. Tell me how the community works.


Our professors are given almost absolute academic freedom. They can teach how they want, research what they want, recommend who they want, use whatever materials they want. It is just one way that we've attracted a faculty that ranks 6th in the nation.

No one pressures, and indeed never would pressure, the Dean or any professor to recommend any more students than he or she wanted.


Goodness. Read my posts. I did not say (or mean to imply) that the school would force Chem to recommend people. What I said was that the school is obviously well-aware of his significance on clerkships, and would encourage him to continue to do so if he took a reduced role. I envision it would be as simple as "x student is tremendous, we think she has a good shot of y clerkship."

I truly, TRULY do not understand what (or why) you are disputing here. Sure, UCI's faculty is great, but every law professor has "absolute academic freedom." Every Dean recommends students for clerkships, why wouldn't they? My ultimate point was that assuming Chem does not leave, the clerkship rate will decrease, but stay healthy. That's it.


Let's say he does go to Cal in the Fall, do you think that UCI's chancellor, faculty, and administrators wouldn't do all that they could to recruit an equally if not more influential dean in his place?


I'm sure they will do everything they can, and end up with someone great. But will they find someone more influential with respect to employment placement? Probably not.

Look, y'all are staking me out a position I did not take. From the beginning, all I've argued is that (i) Chem has an appreciable effect on the clerkship/boutique firm rate; (ii) if he leaves, there will be a decrease; and (iii) UCI will be fine, overall. I am not predicting the end of UCI or some free-fall in the rankings.


I don't mean to argue with you. In fact I agree with all of your points except that should he leave there will be a decrease in clerkship/boutique firm placement. I mean, let's say a vital component of an aircraft breaks down. One would expect it to be replaced with an equally if not better one. The same can be said about him leaving UCI. He is not the entire school but rather a part of the whole and should he leave, I believe that everyone at UCI will do all that they can to sustain or increase placements.

WheninLaw
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby WheninLaw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:18 pm

abcdefg1234567 wrote:I don't mean to argue with you. In fact I agree with all of your points except that should he leave there will be a decrease in clerkship/boutique firm placement. I mean, let's say a vital component of an aircraft breaks down. One would expect it to be replaced with an equally if not better one. The same can be said about him leaving UCI. He is not the entire school but rather a part of the whole and should he leave, I believe that everyone at UCI will do all that they can to sustain or increase placements.


Fair enough. If he leaves, we can come back to this in 2019 and see who is right :)

TannerRogers
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TannerRogers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Hey everyone, congrats to everyone who got accepted to UCI, it's going to be a great time. Anyone who got admitted, or is still considering attending feel free to join the Facebook page for the class of 2020, that way questions on anything from deciding, to finding roommates is all in one place.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Tanner Rogers

https://m.facebook.com/groups/166349648 ... =bookmarks

calgoldenbear
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby calgoldenbear » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Still waiting. Is there any hope?

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby it's allgood » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

Everyday without a rejection is a good day!

Dawg32
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:49 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dawg32 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby it's allgood » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Dawg32 wrote:For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.


Thank you for the update! That is good to know. :D

BobBoblaw
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:43 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BobBoblaw » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:54 pm

it's allgood wrote:
Dawg32 wrote:For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.


Thank you for the update! That is good to know. :D


YMMV on this. I applied on the 1st of March, was accepted about three weeks later. Splitter, FWIW.

User avatar
it's allgood
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby it's allgood » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:
it's allgood wrote:
Dawg32 wrote:For anyone that is still waiting, admission said that if you applied towards the end of the cycle, you'll be expecting to hear back in mid May, but it might be sooner than that. So it might be after your deposit deadlines for other schools. Atleast that's what they told me when I called. The suspense is killing me lol. Oh well, hurry up and wait.


Thank you for the update! That is good to know. :D


YMMV on this. I applied on the 1st of March, was accepted about three weeks later. Splitter, FWIW.


That gives me hope!! Thank you for posting your experience. :D

Legallylawyer2020
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Legallylawyer2020 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm

WL via snail mail today. Good luck to those still waiting!

Stevie_Rave_On
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Stevie_Rave_On » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm

calgoldenbear wrote:Still waiting. Is there any hope?


Yeah. I had friends who applied in December and were accepted towards the end of May. I, personally, was rejected. I figured if I didn't hear back by ASW, it was probably a no-go. I was correct. It's impossible to tell either way, so try not to worry about it.

Mikey947
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 am

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Mikey947 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Legallylawyer2020 wrote:WL via snail mail today. Good luck to those still waiting!

are you gonna wait it out?

mmeissn2
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mmeissn2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:12 am

IF ANYONE IS SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT ATTENDING UCI, PLEASE WITHDRAW.

I'm on the waitlist and am very desperate to get in as you can tell haha.

User avatar
charles117
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby charles117 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:41 am

mmeissn2 wrote:IF ANYONE IS SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT ATTENDING UCI, PLEASE WITHDRAW.

I'm on the waitlist and am very desperate to get in as you can tell haha.

its past the sir deadline so everyone who isnt coming barring waitlist movement from other schools has already withdrawn...

mmeissn2
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mmeissn2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 am

charles117 wrote:
mmeissn2 wrote:IF ANYONE IS SURE THAT THEY'RE NOT ATTENDING UCI, PLEASE WITHDRAW.

I'm on the waitlist and am very desperate to get in as you can tell haha.

its past the sir deadline so everyone who isnt coming barring waitlist movement from other schools has already withdrawn...

True. But it's not just people waiting for waitlist movement from other schools though, could also be waiting for scholarship increases, late admissions, or just people who were unsure of their decision at the time of the deposit date

User avatar
Kimmysradscreenname
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kimmysradscreenname » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:31 pm

TannerRogers wrote:Hey everyone, congrats to everyone who got accepted to UCI, it's going to be a great time. Anyone who got admitted, or is still considering attending feel free to join the Facebook page for the class of 2020, that way questions on anything from deciding, to finding roommates is all in one place.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,
Tanner Rogers

https://m.facebook.com/groups/166349648 ... =bookmarks


Hey Tanner- Thanks for making the page. I humbly submit you should probably change your username to something that isn't your real name. I would also recommend not trying to friend everyone who joins the page- anyone with sense is going to click "no" until we have actually had lots of beers together and are sure you're not the next Ted Bundy.

vho1791
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby vho1791 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:04 am

To all those who were waitlisted, did you get a letter only informing of the waitlist? Or did you get an email too?

And has anyone been accepted
From the waitlist yet?

User avatar
BarMan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BarMan » Tue May 09, 2017 11:14 am

vho1791 wrote:To all those who were waitlisted, did you get a letter only informing of the waitlist? Or did you get an email too?

And has anyone been accepted
From the waitlist yet?


Just a letter

despacito
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby despacito » Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :D

Anybody still waiting for a decision?

lawdog2017
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawdog2017 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:47 pm

despacito wrote:Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :D

Anybody still waiting for a decision?


Oh hai. Mid jan applicant here.

despacito
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine c/o 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby despacito » Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm

lawdog2017 wrote:
despacito wrote:Hi! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. :D

Anybody still waiting for a decision?


Oh hai. Mid jan applicant here.


Hello, comrade!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], BobSaget22, BronxToBoston, carmtastic, cybele07, dallinpackard, Exabot [Bot], KENYADIGG1T, malysh, newyork14, texasreznikoff, tinyrickkk, wannabegenius, Zero Hedge and 23 guests