University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 28087
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 am

SolRs wrote:Soooo no one has any idea of additional scholarships, right?

For 2-3L and for the full. Apparently they give a few full, but I haven't seen anyone post about it, here or on lsn.com.

On another note, anyone planning on attending the open houses?

I mean, this is how it works for 2L/3L:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:There are a bunch of internal scholarships you can apply for for years 2 and 3. I honestly don't know how much the average person gets from them - you have to write essays on specific prompts and they don't have specific amounts attached (iirc). It probably depends on how many people take the time to apply. You probably won't be qualified to apply for all of them (e.g. You might need to be from the Western slope/going into tax law/etc).

I really don't think there's any way to predict exactly what you'd get because again, a lot of them have prompts/eligibility requirements and it depends who else applies. But you could ask the admissions office for numbers about what the average person who applies for these gets from them.

hobbes1989
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hobbes1989 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Does anyone else really, really, really want to live in Colorado for the stereotypical reasons but is underwhelmed by CU's post-graduation employment numbers? I would love to pull the trigger, but I'd literally be making more (albeit in a far shittier city/state) at my current job than the 75th percentile of 2015 CU grads...

bbmayes
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bbmayes » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:41 pm

hobbes1989 wrote:Does anyone else really, really, really want to live in Colorado for the stereotypical reasons but is underwhelmed by CU's post-graduation employment numbers? I would love to pull the trigger, but I'd literally be making more (albeit in a far shittier city/state) at my current job than the 75th percentile of 2015 CU grads...

Stick with current (full disclosure; I just want that seat)

SolRs
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SolRs » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:14 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
SolRs wrote:Soooo no one has any idea of additional scholarships, right?

For 2-3L and for the full. Apparently they give a few full, but I haven't seen anyone post about it, here or on lsn.com.

On another note, anyone planning on attending the open houses?

I mean, this is how it works for 2L/3L:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:There are a bunch of internal scholarships you can apply for for years 2 and 3. I honestly don't know how much the average person gets from them - you have to write essays on specific prompts and they don't have specific amounts attached (iirc). It probably depends on how many people take the time to apply. You probably won't be qualified to apply for all of them (e.g. You might need to be from the Western slope/going into tax law/etc).

I really don't think there's any way to predict exactly what you'd get because again, a lot of them have prompts/eligibility requirements and it depends who else applies. But you could ask the admissions office for numbers about what the average person who applies for these gets from them.



Thanks for your input. This is what I gather too, and its really hard to balance with full scholarships elsewhere. Although I'd rather be in Colorado, the unknown financial is tough to swallow in comparison to to the other offers! eeeeeekkkk

User avatar
sushibarwxam
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:35 pm

In as in 2 hours ago!

texasfight16
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby texasfight16 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am

In! Took forever, but thankful for the result. Should at very least be a great visit!

Windjammer
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Windjammer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

hobbes1989 wrote:Does anyone else really, really, really want to live in Colorado for the stereotypical reasons but is underwhelmed by CU's post-graduation employment numbers? I would love to pull the trigger, but I'd literally be making more (albeit in a far shittier city/state) at my current job than the 75th percentile of 2015 CU grads...


I still find this exchangebetween a CU law prof and a prospective admit on Dean's scholarship to CU insightful. Observe especially this part:

If you go to CU you are likely to end up needing to get a job in Colorado. The difficulty with this is that you don’t appear to have any connections to the area, which puts you at something of a disadvantage in comparison to people who do. CU law graduates are currently having quite a bit of difficulty getting real legal jobs, meaning full-time long-term employment that requires a law degree. Not having connections to the area will be a problem for you, all other things being equal.


Do not simply look at income stats, but look at where grads earn that money. If I recall correctly, the most recent (2015?) ABA report said 124 of 126 reported salaries go with Colorado. And then the above quote applies, in spades. The kind of money you earn in Colorado depends on a lot more than simply your ranking in law school, some glowing LORs from Prof #87 and whether or not you made law review.

Of course a couple of things have changed since that 2012 post. The average house price in Boulder is now 950k dollars; this extends beyond the city limits to many smaller settlements in Boulder County. The Denver Metro area is similarly on the rise. The State has seen massive economic growth in the past 5 years (owing to the pot industry, among others) but been unable to keep up with rising housing demand.

Google is moving in with hundreds of employees into downtown Boulder, and 2020 CU law grads will compete for housing and other goods in the area against a growing and well-salaried tech crowd. Good luck to that, say I.

In short, you have to measure CU law earning potential against the rising living costs in the State - because you will live in Colorado. New York and SanFran pays lawyers salaries in line with the exorbitant living costs. You won't have that in Colorado.

JaxBeachLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:49 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JaxBeachLaw » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:28 pm

^^this post^^ gives me extreme pause, but I do think that 2012 does leave enough time for things to have improved, coming out of the financial crisis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't growth in the local economy help spur jobs in the legal sector too? I understand COL in the area is high when there are more high-paying jobs, but overall economic growth shouldn't hurt job prospects, right?

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 pm

JaxBeachLaw wrote:^^this post^^ gives me extreme pause, but I do think that 2012 does leave enough time for things to have improved, coming out of the financial crisis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't growth in the local economy help spur jobs in the legal sector too? I understand COL in the area is high when there are more high-paying jobs, but overall economic growth shouldn't hurt job prospects, right?


I graduated in 13 and now work in a state across the country. I am doing well, and I know other graduates who left Colorado and they are all doing well. You should be hesitant to take my anecdotal outcome as anything more than that, but the poster you quoted should also be leery of putting too much stock in one post from 2012, especially a post from a blog called the law school scam. CU is a very good school that will give you the opportunity to have success in the legal field, whether that be in Colorado or elsewhere. The same is true of other schools in that LSAT range. Your success will be on you. If you understand that, you'll probably do well wherever you go.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1592
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:24 pm

hobbes1989 wrote:Does anyone else really, really, really want to live in Colorado for the stereotypical reasons but is underwhelmed by CU's post-graduation employment numbers? I would love to pull the trigger, but I'd literally be making more (albeit in a far shittier city/state) at my current job than the 75th percentile of 2015 CU grads...


Do you think the same type of student goes to CU-Boulder and Fordham, just to pick a large east coast urban school for arguments sake? CU attracts a good chunk of people who aren't looking to make more than fifty thousand dollars a year trying to save whales or defend the defenseless.

You said it all in your post. You want to live in Colorado for stereotypical (quality of life) reasons. So if you graduate from CU, are you going to spend 80 hours a week in the office maximizing your income?

JaxBeachLaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:49 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JaxBeachLaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
JaxBeachLaw wrote:^^this post^^ gives me extreme pause, but I do think that 2012 does leave enough time for things to have improved, coming out of the financial crisis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't growth in the local economy help spur jobs in the legal sector too? I understand COL in the area is high when there are more high-paying jobs, but overall economic growth shouldn't hurt job prospects, right?


I graduated in 13 and now work in a state across the country. I am doing well, and I know other graduates who left Colorado and they are all doing well. You should be hesitant to take my anecdotal outcome as anything more than that, but the poster you quoted should also be leery of putting too much stock in one post from 2012, especially a post from a blog called the law school scam. CU is a very good school that will give you the opportunity to have success in the legal field, whether that be in Colorado or elsewhere. The same is true of other schools in that LSAT range. Your success will be on you. If you understand that, you'll probably do well wherever you go.


Thank you for your honesty! It is much appreciated!

chemistry2law
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chemistry2law » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:43 am

Has anyone successfully negotiated upwards from the full/10/10 scholarship offer? I put in a re-consideration letter about a month ago and haven't heard anything back.

User avatar
cmt11
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cmt11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 pm

In via email. Hopefully the financial aid packages gets here quickly!

nickles96
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby nickles96 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:20 pm

cmt11 wrote:In via email. Hopefully the financial aid packages gets here quickly!


Congrats!!
I'm 'In Review' as of yesterday, 3/14.
Can you share your status checker timeline?

User avatar
TripleM
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TripleM » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:22 pm

In by email today. Applied mid-Feb. Eagerly awaiting financial aid info.

lawdog2017
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawdog2017 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:31 pm

nickles96 wrote:
cmt11 wrote:In via email. Hopefully the financial aid packages gets here quickly!


Congrats!!
I'm 'In Review' as of yesterday, 3/14.
Can you share your status checker timeline?


Also "In Review" as of yesterday (3/14).
To the people who were accepted by email today - did your status checkers update as well? How long were you in review?

User avatar
cmt11
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cmt11 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 pm

nickles96 wrote:
cmt11 wrote:In via email. Hopefully the financial aid packages gets here quickly!


Congrats!!
I'm 'In Review' as of yesterday, 3/14.
Can you share your status checker timeline?


Thank you! :D

Sent in the app 2/11, went UR 2/14 I believe, but they held it for my second Feb LSAT score to be released. So just about 2 weeks of actually being under review.

Edit: I checked today around 11:30 and didn't see any change or indication that a decision was made, so they must update it just before notifying.

User avatar
hethebearded
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hethebearded » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?

chemistry2law
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chemistry2law » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:18 pm

hethebearded wrote:Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?


Just for the record, I was awarded the full/10/10 scholarship and sent a scholarship reconsideration letter just over a month ago -- still no word from them.

User avatar
TripleM
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TripleM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

hethebearded wrote:Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?

What is the full/10/10?

User avatar
Kopetz
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:06 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Kopetz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

TripleM wrote:
hethebearded wrote:Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?

What is the full/10/10?


Full ride for 1L / 10k each year following (generally also with in-state tution for 2L and 3L)

User avatar
TripleM
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 8:35 am

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby TripleM » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Kopetz wrote:
TripleM wrote:
hethebearded wrote:Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?

What is the full/10/10?


Full ride for 1L / 10k each year following (generally also with in-state tution for 2L and 3L)

Got it. Thanks. I'm only just beginning the $ process and so I've got nothing to offer this discussion but I'll let you know. I also know a bunch of their alum so I'll let you know what I find out.

chemistry2law
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chemistry2law » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 pm

chemistry2law wrote:
hethebearded wrote:Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?


Just for the record, I was awarded the full/10/10 scholarship and sent a scholarship reconsideration letter just over a month ago -- still no word from them.

Just heard back... they bumped it to full/15/15.

User avatar
hethebearded
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hethebearded » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 am

chemistry2law wrote:
chemistry2law wrote:
hethebearded wrote:Has anyone been able to negotiate up from full/10/10? Is there an award above that offered?


Just for the record, I was awarded the full/10/10 scholarship and sent a scholarship reconsideration letter just over a month ago -- still no word from them.

Just heard back... they bumped it to full/15/15.


Thanks for relaying that info. Does that extra 10K make a big difference for you?

chemistry2law
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Re: University of Colorado Boulder C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby chemistry2law » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am

*shrug* Every little bit helps, I suppose




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], chrysippusofsoli, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], TheKingLives, thepsychedelic, virginia_direwoolf and 10 guests