University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
somedeadman
Posts: 436
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby somedeadman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:04 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:Got the package in the mail.

Q: I know UIUC is traditionally a strong engineering school and LS has especially a strong Patent law focus. UIUC boasts about 25% Big Law placement. Is this number inflated by the number of grads getting into Patent and the actual non-patent big law could be significantly lower than a comparable school with similar biglaw number without a strong patent law focus (i.e. UNC)?

Great question that I'm also interested in learning more about

User avatar
Chardee_MacDennis
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:57 pm

somedeadman wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:Got the package in the mail.

Q: I know UIUC is traditionally a strong engineering school and LS has especially a strong Patent law focus. UIUC boasts about 25% Big Law placement. Is this number inflated by the number of grads getting into Patent and the actual non-patent big law could be significantly lower than a comparable school with similar biglaw number without a strong patent law focus (i.e. UNC)?

Great question that I'm also interested in learning more about


No, it's not disproportionately IP. In fact, it's most likely the opposite.

Also, not trying to be rude, but where did you get the idea that the school has a strong patent focus?

User avatar
shotgunheist
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shotgunheist » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Loved my visit, best conversations with students from any admitted weekend, great campus area, seems like such an underrated school. So glad I applied. See y'all in the fall!

JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JohnMaynardKeynes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:59 am

For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

ChambanaMan
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby ChambanaMan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:48 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

I met with the Dean of Admissions one-on-one a few weeks ago and asked about the 2015 employment numbers and she said to expect a bump with C/O 2016.

JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JohnMaynardKeynes » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:40 pm

ChambanaMan wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

I met with the Dean of Admissions one-on-one a few weeks ago and asked about the 2015 employment numbers and she said to expect a bump with C/O 2016.


Thanks! I know the stats should be out any day now but need to decide soon with deposits looming.

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carasrook » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:01 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

I met with the Dean of Admissions one-on-one a few weeks ago and asked about the 2015 employment numbers and she said to expect a bump with C/O 2016.


Thanks! I know the stats should be out any day now but need to decide soon with deposits looming.


it just came out!! https://law.illinois.edu/careers/employment-data/

posted this in the c/o 2020 thread already, but if my math is correct it looks like we're at about a 79% employment score (long term, full time, bar passage required) vs. 65% for the c/o 2015

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

Biglaw (100+) increased from 25% to 33.5% !

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Btw, Anyone heard back on scholly negotiation?

User avatar
guynourmin
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby guynourmin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:58 pm

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Btw, Anyone heard back on scholly negotiation?

yes. took over a month! was successful, though.

User avatar
shotgunheist
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shotgunheist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:16 pm

carasrook wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

I met with the Dean of Admissions one-on-one a few weeks ago and asked about the 2015 employment numbers and she said to expect a bump with C/O 2016.


Thanks! I know the stats should be out any day now but need to decide soon with deposits looming.


it just came out!! https://law.illinois.edu/careers/employment-data/

posted this in the c/o 2020 thread already, but if my math is correct it looks like we're at about a 79% employment score (long term, full time, bar passage required) vs. 65% for the c/o 2015



WOW love it

JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JohnMaynardKeynes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:53 pm

shotgunheist wrote:
carasrook wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

I met with the Dean of Admissions one-on-one a few weeks ago and asked about the 2015 employment numbers and she said to expect a bump with C/O 2016.


Thanks! I know the stats should be out any day now but need to decide soon with deposits looming.


it just came out!! https://law.illinois.edu/careers/employment-data/

posted this in the c/o 2020 thread already, but if my math is correct it looks like we're at about a 79% employment score (long term, full time, bar passage required) vs. 65% for the c/o 2015



WOW love it


Thoroughly impressed with the numbers!

Consensus seems to be about a month for scholarship negotiations?

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carasrook » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
shotgunheist wrote:
carasrook wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:For those that attended the ASD, were there any hints at what the C/O 2016 employment stats look like?

I met with the Dean of Admissions one-on-one a few weeks ago and asked about the 2015 employment numbers and she said to expect a bump with C/O 2016.


Thanks! I know the stats should be out any day now but need to decide soon with deposits looming.


it just came out!! https://law.illinois.edu/careers/employment-data/

posted this in the c/o 2020 thread already, but if my math is correct it looks like we're at about a 79% employment score (long term, full time, bar passage required) vs. 65% for the c/o 2015



WOW love it


Thoroughly impressed with the numbers!

Consensus seems to be about a month for scholarship negotiations?


not sure (i didn't negotiate), but FYI the deposit deadline is Monday.

slcpunk12
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby slcpunk12 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Is anyone still under review? Submitted late late Jan. and went under review 3/19. Sort of starting to get paranoid, considering the deposit deadline is this week.

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Watababe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Has anyone been successful in negotiating their scholarship up from full tuition to also covering fees? Before I paid the first deposit none of my other offers really seemed strong enough to convince them to do that but there's a chance I'll have an offer later this week that I wouldn't feel ridiculous using to try to negotiate up but I just wanted to check in and see if anyone has pulled it off yet.

Lialaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Lialaw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Anyone hear anything/know anything about the waitlist?

Hopeful4
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:13 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Hopeful4 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 am

[quote="Lialaw"]Anyone hear anything/know anything about the waitlist?[/quote

I am still waiting. Have you heard anything? Should I just call it quits at this point?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: randomtlsaccount, urmlaw17 and 2 guests