University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Toplawschool0000000
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Toplawschool0000000 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 pm

Is it possible to get a stipend to Illinois? I read in another thread that tuition+fees is the highest they'll go, but I'm wondering if these ceilings for scholarships can be broken.

curry4bfast
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby curry4bfast » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Toplawschool0000000 wrote:Is it possible to get a stipend to Illinois? I read in another thread that tuition+fees is the highest they'll go, but I'm wondering if these ceilings for scholarships can be broken.


Curious about this too. Looking at their ABA report it said 15 people got more than full tuition scholarships while only 1 person got a full tuition scholarship but idk really what that means

https://law.illinois.edu/wp-content/upl ... port-1.pdf

Toplawschool0000000
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Toplawschool0000000 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:30 pm

curry4bfast wrote:
Toplawschool0000000 wrote:Is it possible to get a stipend to Illinois? I read in another thread that tuition+fees is the highest they'll go, but I'm wondering if these ceilings for scholarships can be broken.


Curious about this too. Looking at their ABA report it said 15 people got more than full tuition scholarships while only 1 person got a full tuition scholarship but idk really what that means

https://law.illinois.edu/wp-content/upl ... port-1.pdf


That might be including the fees since fees aren't part of tuition. Would be cool to attend Illinois with a nice 5k stipend, though lol.

Edit: I see part of the issue. How could only one person have a full tuition scholly when it seems like that's more common than tuition + fees? Interesting...

User avatar
em15
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby em15 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Toplawschool0000000 wrote:
curry4bfast wrote:
Toplawschool0000000 wrote:Is it possible to get a stipend to Illinois? I read in another thread that tuition+fees is the highest they'll go, but I'm wondering if these ceilings for scholarships can be broken.


Curious about this too. Looking at their ABA report it said 15 people got more than full tuition scholarships while only 1 person got a full tuition scholarship but idk really what that means

https://law.illinois.edu/wp-content/upl ... port-1.pdf


That might be including the fees since fees aren't part of tuition. Would be cool to attend Illinois with a nice 5k stipend, though lol.

Edit: I see part of the issue. How could only one person have a full tuition scholly when it seems like that's more common than tuition + fees? Interesting...


I'm guessing a lot of the people who got full tuitions chose to go to other schools so they don't show up there??

Toplawschool0000000
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:32 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Toplawschool0000000 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Definitely possible. Those who get full scholarships+ want to attend must negotiate up, and Illinois must be fairly responsive to those who get full tuition scholarships and want to attend.

JDrat
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby JDrat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:15 am

Does anyone know if Illini negotiates scholarships? I'm an international with 167/Superior and have been offered 40k/year. What is the full tuition amount that's been offered? Please PM me someone with a full scholly!

helpmedecide222
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby helpmedecide222 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:38 am

In with 75k! Feel a bit lowballed, but happy to finally here.

that1one1guy
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:39 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby that1one1guy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:49 pm

.
Last edited by that1one1guy on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carasrook » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:02 pm

is there an admitted students facebook page?

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:44 pm

In with full tuition.

No idea how I got it, both my LSAT and GPA are below 75%.

User avatar
shotgunheist
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shotgunheist » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:In with full tuition.

No idea how I got it, both my LSAT and GPA are below 75%.


wow congrats! pm stats?

User avatar
shotgunheist
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shotgunheist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm

wow in with full ride too. not expected. may have to think about illinois now!

Dirtyolmuskrat
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:06 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Dirtyolmuskrat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Waitlisted. 2.7 167

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carasrook » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:03 pm

anyone committed to UIUC yet?

User avatar
shotgunheist
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby shotgunheist » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 pm

Just noticed that they have 0 stipulations on their scholarships. No GPA or anything. Wow thats pretty awesome.

User avatar
emilycc1026
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby emilycc1026 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:18 pm

In with a full ride after they took months to get back to me. Lol I hope it's good bargain power

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carasrook » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:46 pm

shotgunheist wrote:Just noticed that they have 0 stipulations on their scholarships. No GPA or anything. Wow thats pretty awesome.


ya, and guaranteed tuition for all 3 years

Houzy
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Houzy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:56 pm

The 4k per year yearly fees is kind of a turn off tho. And is specifically stated that tuition does not include the university fees.

Not trying to be a downer, but I do think that's a detail some people over look. I know I did.

Pinkpanda24
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pinkpanda24 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Houzy wrote:The 4k per year yearly fees is kind of a turn off tho. And is specifically stated that tuition does not include the university fees.

Not trying to be a downer, but I do think that's a detail some people over look. I know I did.

Agree. Anyone have any idea why their ranking might have dropped so much??

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Got the package in the mail.

Q: I know UIUC is traditionally a strong engineering school and LS has especially a strong Patent law focus. UIUC boasts about 25% Big Law placement. Is this number inflated by the number of grads getting into Patent and the actual non-patent big law could be significantly lower than a comparable school with similar biglaw number without a strong patent law focus (i.e. UNC)?

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 am

In with 90K. Really hoped to get more. International applicant with 167 and superior evaluation. Writing to them for reconsideration asap. Good luck to all!

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:53 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:In with 90K. Really hoped to get more. International applicant with 167 and superior evaluation. Writing to them for reconsideration asap. Good luck to all!


I really don't understand what basis the adcom uses to determine scholly $$$. My LSAT is 162 (below 75th) and GPA slightly below the median yet they offered me full ride (not a URM). It makes no sense to get any thing less than a full ride with your stats.

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:51 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:In with 90K. Really hoped to get more. International applicant with 167 and superior evaluation. Writing to them for reconsideration asap. Good luck to all!


I really don't understand what basis the adcom uses to determine scholly $$$. My LSAT is 162 (below 75th) and GPA slightly below the median yet they offered me full ride (not a URM). It makes no sense to get any thing less than a full ride with your stats.


The only explanation I can think of is that they might think that someone with higher stats might not attend school and therefore they don't want to set aside a huge sum of money for them. They might not do YP because with the ranking freefall they've been in, YP (with its low weightage in rank determination) would be the least of their concerns.

If that's the logic they subscribe to, I am sure they would be open to reconsideration if someone with high stats commits to attending (or at least states it's a top choice) subject to a substantial schol jump. I will believe that's the case and write to them :)

Congrats for your free ride, btw :) in-state or OOS?

DaOneandOnly
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby DaOneandOnly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:16 pm

In with full scholarship out-of-state! Applied the first week of January and received the admissions e-mail several days ago.

Will be visiting during the ASD and hoping that the location/general ambience will be a good fit.

Pinkpanda24
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2020 Applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Pinkpanda24 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:12 am

carasrook wrote:anyone committed to UIUC yet?

Me :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], black_mirror, fattsdomino, neverland, principalagent, rowdy and 21 guests