Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
emilycc1026
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby emilycc1026 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 pm

onecallthats all wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
onecallthats all wrote:Checking in. Admitted today! LSAT:161, GPA:3.58 :D :D


Congrats! It seems we applied to a similar range of schools, based on your postings recently. I also got into Utah and OSU, hard to weigh options since Utah doesn't send $ info for a little while. Have you received your scholarship email from Ohio State yet?


Congrats on Utah as well! Are you on LSN? And I have not received a scholarship email! I just got the email today for acceptance. I am super eager to learn about scholarship information, I would looooove to be a buckeye. Have you gotten a scholarship email yet? And if so, for how much?

If you dont mind me asking, what were your numbers? Sorry I am asking so many questions lol


No worries at all. I'm not on LSN, but damn I should be.

I got scholarship info the same day (or day after) the acceptance email at OSU - I was granted 16K in merit aid. OSU is definitely a very intriguing possibility at this point! As for my numbers, I had a 3.4/161. Hope this helps!


Well I am 6 days out from my acceptance email and still no scholarship email... it is not looking good at this point :roll: :roll:


Try to stay sane, my friend. I know January is a big month for admissions offices, and they may just be slower due to the task load of putting together everyone's financial packages. University of Utah doesn't even send their financial info till February, and I heard back from them at the beginning of this month. I'd give it at least a week and a half before you start to fret, and even then you can just email and ask about scholarship info.


FINALLY!! $13,000 scholly per year!



Congrats!!!!!!!!! :D :lol: :mrgreen:

User avatar
emilycc1026
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:40 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby emilycc1026 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

These were added to my requirements list after being accepted, anyone know what it could mean/had it on theirs? I'm dying waiting a week or two to find out about scholarship information.

Financial Need Grant App Received (Opt)
Moritz Merit Scholar App Complete (Opt)
Moritz Merit Scholarship App Received
Moritz Merit Scholarship Essay
Moritz Merit Scholarship LOR received

User avatar
em15
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby em15 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

emilycc1026 wrote:These were added to my requirements list after being accepted, anyone know what it could mean/had it on theirs? I'm dying waiting a week or two to find out about scholarship information.

Financial Need Grant App Received (Opt)
Moritz Merit Scholar App Complete (Opt)
Moritz Merit Scholarship App Received
Moritz Merit Scholarship Essay
Moritz Merit Scholarship LOR received


I think it just means that they are now deciding on how much $$$ to give you, so they are just now verifying if they received the materials needed for that.

manhattandr3amin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby manhattandr3amin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Hey everybody! Just created an account and searched for this thread and thought I'd check in.

Was admitted 1/19 and received my scholarship email 1/26! I have yet to receive anything via snail mail. How long does that normally take?

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:23 pm

manhattandr3amin wrote:Hey everybody! Just created an account and searched for this thread and thought I'd check in.

Was admitted 1/19 and received my scholarship email 1/26! I have yet to receive anything via snail mail. How long does that normally take?


I never received anything via snail mail from OSU - it's been well over a month since I got in so I'm assuming they won't send anything.

manhattandr3amin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby manhattandr3amin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:48 pm

smow4029 wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:Hey everybody! Just created an account and searched for this thread and thought I'd check in.

Was admitted 1/19 and received my scholarship email 1/26! I have yet to receive anything via snail mail. How long does that normally take?


I never received anything via snail mail from OSU - it's been well over a month since I got in so I'm assuming they won't send anything.


Okay, seems odd they don't send anything but thanks for the heads up! I noticed on the 'Admitted Students' page it says you will receive a password when admitted to access the site, but I never received one. Have you received one/how long did that take?

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:57 pm

manhattandr3amin wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:Hey everybody! Just created an account and searched for this thread and thought I'd check in.

Was admitted 1/19 and received my scholarship email 1/26! I have yet to receive anything via snail mail. How long does that normally take?


I never received anything via snail mail from OSU - it's been well over a month since I got in so I'm assuming they won't send anything.


Okay, seems odd they don't send anything but thanks for the heads up! I noticed on the 'Admitted Students' page it says you will receive a password when admitted to access the site, but I never received one. Have you received one/how long did that take?


Hmmmm. I got mine 3 days after I got the admissions email. If you haven't heard in a few days/by the end of the week I'd just shoot them an email asking about it. They've been super responsive to my inquiries thus far - maybe I should ask if we're going to get a hard copy packet of admissions stuff...

manhattandr3amin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby manhattandr3amin » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 pm

smow4029 wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:Hey everybody! Just created an account and searched for this thread and thought I'd check in.

Was admitted 1/19 and received my scholarship email 1/26! I have yet to receive anything via snail mail. How long does that normally take?


I never received anything via snail mail from OSU - it's been well over a month since I got in so I'm assuming they won't send anything.


Okay, seems odd they don't send anything but thanks for the heads up! I noticed on the 'Admitted Students' page it says you will receive a password when admitted to access the site, but I never received one. Have you received one/how long did that take?


Hmmmm. I got mine 3 days after I got the admissions email. If you haven't heard in a few days/by the end of the week I'd just shoot them an email asking about it. They've been super responsive to my inquiries thus far - maybe I should ask if we're going to get a hard copy packet of admissions stuff...


Haha may not be a bad idea to ask! I love getting stuff in the mail. Thanks for the info! I may just email in the morning since it has already been over a week.

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:40 am

manhattandr3amin wrote:
Haha may not be a bad idea to ask! I love getting stuff in the mail. Thanks for the info! I may just email in the morning since it has already been over a week.


Sounds like a solid idea. If you ask about a hard copy packet, would you check in here and let us know what you find out?

manhattandr3amin
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby manhattandr3amin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:37 pm

smow4029 wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:
Haha may not be a bad idea to ask! I love getting stuff in the mail. Thanks for the info! I may just email in the morning since it has already been over a week.


Sounds like a solid idea. If you ask about a hard copy packet, would you check in here and let us know what you find out?


I definitely will. I received an acceptance letter in the mail this evening but that is all!

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

manhattandr3amin wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
manhattandr3amin wrote:
Haha may not be a bad idea to ask! I love getting stuff in the mail. Thanks for the info! I may just email in the morning since it has already been over a week.


Sounds like a solid idea. If you ask about a hard copy packet, would you check in here and let us know what you find out?


I definitely will. I received an acceptance letter in the mail this evening but that is all!


Cheers! I was really hoping to get a full packet from them with further info (I found their admitted students website very helpful, but hate the navigation - I'd rather have it all in hard copy in front of me).

User avatar
sushibarwxam
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:46 am

Has anyone called them about scholarship reconsideration/negotiating with your other schollys?

lk7999
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby lk7999 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:48 am

What is the typical timeline for receiving the status checker access email from Ohio State?

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 pm

sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone called them about scholarship reconsideration/negotiating with your other schollys?


I haven't done this yet - I was waiting on another school's info first, but plan on at least asking. I was probably going to email, but would much prefer to talk to someone on the phone. Have you reached out yet?

User avatar
sushibarwxam
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:12 pm

smow4029 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone called them about scholarship reconsideration/negotiating with your other schollys?


I haven't done this yet - I was waiting on another school's info first, but plan on at least asking. I was probably going to email, but would much prefer to talk to someone on the phone. Have you reached out yet?


Not yet, I was planning on doing it ASAP but too busy with work/school. I've had friends do it for other schools and they called them rather than email.

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 pm

sushibarwxam wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone called them about scholarship reconsideration/negotiating with your other schollys?


I haven't done this yet - I was waiting on another school's info first, but plan on at least asking. I was probably going to email, but would much prefer to talk to someone on the phone. Have you reached out yet?


Not yet, I was planning on doing it ASAP but too busy with work/school. I've had friends do it for other schools and they called them rather than email.


Cheers. I'd much rather call, so it's good to know that it's a viable option. From what I've read about negotiations, it seems most people elect to send emails.

User avatar
sushibarwxam
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

smow4029 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:
smow4029 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:Has anyone called them about scholarship reconsideration/negotiating with your other schollys?


I haven't done this yet - I was waiting on another school's info first, but plan on at least asking. I was probably going to email, but would much prefer to talk to someone on the phone. Have you reached out yet?


Not yet, I was planning on doing it ASAP but too busy with work/school. I've had friends do it for other schools and they called them rather than email.


Cheers. I'd much rather call, so it's good to know that it's a viable option. From what I've read about negotiations, it seems most people elect to send emails.


Do you think a big scholarship from Case (among another school T-25) could persuade them? Or would they not even consider Case?

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:14 pm

sushibarwxam wrote:
Do you think a big scholarship from Case (among another school T-25) could persuade them? Or would they not even consider Case?


That's a question that will get better answers from more experienced heads on this forum, I think. From what I understand, schools give much more weight to rank than applicants do (or should), so a school that's lower in the rankings won't be considered a "peer" school. This is just my (admittedly blurry) understanding, but a school like IU or Wisconsin would ostensibly carry more weight in negotiations. That said, I've been told that big scholarships from lower schools can still be leveraged, and there's really no harm in trying. I hope someone else in here can provide a clearer answer for you.

User avatar
sushibarwxam
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby sushibarwxam » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 pm

smow4029 wrote:
sushibarwxam wrote:
Do you think a big scholarship from Case (among another school T-25) could persuade them? Or would they not even consider Case?


That's a question that will get better answers from more experienced heads on this forum, I think. From what I understand, schools give much more weight to rank than applicants do (or should), so a school that's lower in the rankings won't be considered a "peer" school. This is just my (admittedly blurry) understanding, but a school like IU or Wisconsin would ostensibly carry more weight in negotiations. That said, I've been told that big scholarships from lower schools can still be leveraged, and there's really no harm in trying. I hope someone else in here can provide a clearer answer for you.


Hopefully I can find someone who previously went through this. I appreciate your help though!

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby floatie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:18 am

Just got my scholly offer: $13k/year! Not bad with in-state tuition, but was still hoping for a little more. I'll probably try and negotiate (another T1 school gave me $22k/year).

Is there a deadline for the scholarship acceptance form? I didn't see one listed.

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:13 am

floatie wrote:Just got my scholly offer: $13k/year! Not bad with in-state tuition, but was still hoping for a little more. I'll probably try and negotiate (another T1 school gave me $22k/year).

Is there a deadline for the scholarship acceptance form? I didn't see one listed.


I don't think there's a formal time frame for acceptance. However, my email had text that said something along the lines of "While acceptance does confirm your intent to matriculate at Moritz, it is not a binding commitment and merely helps us plan our class makeup better."

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby floatie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:51 am

smow4029 wrote:
floatie wrote:Just got my scholly offer: $13k/year! Not bad with in-state tuition, but was still hoping for a little more. I'll probably try and negotiate (another T1 school gave me $22k/year).

Is there a deadline for the scholarship acceptance form? I didn't see one listed.


I don't think there's a formal time frame for acceptance. However, my email had text that said something along the lines of "While acceptance does confirm your intent to matriculate at Moritz, it is not a binding commitment and merely helps us plan our class makeup better."


Thanks - I'm going to plan on sending this back (if I decide to matriculate) on/before the April 1 seat deposit deadline

User avatar
em15
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby em15 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm

floatie wrote:Just got my scholly offer: $13k/year! Not bad with in-state tuition, but was still hoping for a little more. I'll probably try and negotiate (another T1 school gave me $22k/year).

Is there a deadline for the scholarship acceptance form? I didn't see one listed.


I got the same offer (also in-state) this morning! Congrats! I was disappointed that it isn't even half tuition. Is the $22k/year from a state school out of state? I applied to other Big 10 schools (still waiting to hear back for scholarships to compare), but I wasn't sure how it looks to compare a scholarship for an out of state tuition to the in state tuition.

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby floatie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 pm

em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:Just got my scholly offer: $13k/year! Not bad with in-state tuition, but was still hoping for a little more. I'll probably try and negotiate (another T1 school gave me $22k/year).

Is there a deadline for the scholarship acceptance form? I didn't see one listed.


I got the same offer (also in-state) this morning! Congrats! I was disappointed that it isn't even half tuition. Is the $22k/year from a state school out of state? I applied to other Big 10 schools (still waiting to hear back for scholarships to compare), but I wasn't sure how it looks to compare a scholarship for an out of state tuition to the in state tuition.


Yeah, the $22k/year is from William and Mary.

smow4029
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Re: Ohio State c/o 2020 Applicants

Postby smow4029 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:48 pm

em15 wrote:
floatie wrote:Just got my scholly offer: $13k/year! Not bad with in-state tuition, but was still hoping for a little more. I'll probably try and negotiate (another T1 school gave me $22k/year).

Is there a deadline for the scholarship acceptance form? I didn't see one listed.


I got the same offer (also in-state) this morning! Congrats! I was disappointed that it isn't even half tuition. Is the $22k/year from a state school out of state? I applied to other Big 10 schools (still waiting to hear back for scholarships to compare), but I wasn't sure how it looks to compare a scholarship for an out of state tuition to the in state tuition.


My theory is that if you get another offer from a similarly ranked or peer school that would make overall COA less than OSU even with in-state tuition, it's a solid negotiating position. I'm not sure if it'll play out that way in practice, but figure it's worth a shot.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackmamba8, chargers21, Exabot [Bot], TheKingLives and 6 guests