UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
peremc12
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:42 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby peremc12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm

bbmayes wrote:
cookab wrote:Anyone who was placed on Hold hear anything yet?

No



how about now?

bbmayes
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bbmayes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:49 pm

peremc12 wrote:
bbmayes wrote:
cookab wrote:Anyone who was placed on Hold hear anything yet?

No



how about now?

In last Thursday

User avatar
HangingAround
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HangingAround » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:22 pm

If anyone is looking for a summer sublease in Chapel Hill let me know!It would run until early August so not right up until school starts.

BostonOrBust
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BostonOrBust » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:07 pm

dianersg wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:Accepted today with scholarship of 17500 a year. Im wondering if its worth it to negotiate scholarship money, I received 22,000 from Emory per year (although they're more expensive) and could use that as leverage. But curious as to if they would go any higher considering they're already pretty high now.


It doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt they will increase from $17,500 because that is the next step down from Chancellor's (at least if you are in-state), which they've already announced, and the in-state tuition is so cheap compared to Emory and most other schools.


FYI, you're probably correct for in state, but I've been having a back and forth with someone in admissions which makes me believe that this is not necessarily the case for out of state students. I don't have anything confirmed but there is at least some willingness to negotiate-- particularly to have a percentage of in state tuition paid that is larger than the percentage out of state tuition paid the first year.

User avatar
HangingAround
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby HangingAround » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
dianersg wrote:
emilycyoung1 wrote:Accepted today with scholarship of 17500 a year. Im wondering if its worth it to negotiate scholarship money, I received 22,000 from Emory per year (although they're more expensive) and could use that as leverage. But curious as to if they would go any higher considering they're already pretty high now.


It doesn't hurt to try, but I doubt they will increase from $17,500 because that is the next step down from Chancellor's (at least if you are in-state), which they've already announced, and the in-state tuition is so cheap compared to Emory and most other schools.


FYI, you're probably correct for in state, but I've been having a back and forth with someone in admissions which makes me believe that this is not necessarily the case for out of state students. I don't have anything confirmed but there is at least some willingness to negotiate-- particularly to have a percentage of in state tuition paid that is larger than the percentage out of state tuition paid the first year.


Interesting look at Emory/UNC being virtually identical in terms of overall biglaw placement if you want biglaw

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=275408

Also worth noting the nation's 100 largest law firms that chart is based on won't include a decent amount of NC/regional firms' NC offices that are highly desirable to/achievable by top UNC students. Seems like Atlanta firms/Atlanta offices of firms would be more likely to be in the 100 largest national firms Just a guess though.

I remember when I was looking at schools, it seemed like Emory was propped up by its huge portion of school funded positions. Not sure if that is the case any longer, but I remember Above the Law usually had them ranked around 40 (with UNC in mid 20s) after discounting for that.

mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Has anyone checked their Connect Carolina account for financial aid info? Would love to see if I will receive any grants or not, but it still says aid pending

User avatar
tncats
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tncats » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.

BostonOrBust
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:31 pm

tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.


Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D

User avatar
tncats
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby tncats » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.


Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D


Thanks! :D :D Are you for sure going to UNC or still deciding?

BostonOrBust
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby BostonOrBust » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 pm

tncats wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.


Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D


Thanks! :D :D Are you for sure going to UNC or still deciding?


90%. Still waiting on Vandy, which is unlikely but is the only place left that would change my mind. I'm visiting UNC next week and figure it will seal the deal as the campus is supposed to be beautiful and I'm expecting more of the fantastic interactions I've had with students/staff/alumni so far.

bbmayes
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby bbmayes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:40 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.


Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D

Got in Thursday with no notice of scholarship. Not expecting anything but maybe they are just waiting to see what is left over...

mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:45 pm

bbmayes wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.


Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D

Got in Thursday with no notice of scholarship. Not expecting anything but maybe they are just waiting to see what is left over...


Make sure you check your spam folder! Mine went there last year

User avatar
SeanORaff33
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SeanORaff33 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:02 am

BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:
tncats wrote:I'm so anxious waiting to hear back. I assume since they haven't admitted me yet, there will probably be almost no scholarship money left if they do admit me. Really hoping for another wave of decisions tomorrow.


Don't lose hope! They are still negotiating schollys which to me says there is still $$ to be had. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fellow Tar Heels. :D


Thanks! :D :D Are you for sure going to UNC or still deciding?


90%. Still waiting on Vandy, which is unlikely but is the only place left that would change my mind. I'm visiting UNC next week and figure it will seal the deal as the campus is supposed to be beautiful and I'm expecting more of the fantastic interactions I've had with students/staff/alumni so far.



Just want to give you a heads up, while the campus is gorgeous, the law school building itself is not that great. I just dont want you to be disappointed

onecallthats all
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby onecallthats all » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 am

Tomthecat wrote:In with some $


Stats? If you dont mind?

mj33
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mj33 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm

Have any Feb LSAT takers heard back yet?

User avatar
SeanORaff33
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SeanORaff33 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:52 am

Trying to decide between visiting on 4/7 and 3/31. What day are you all going??

idontknowyou
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby idontknowyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...

idontknowyou
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby idontknowyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:Trying to decide between visiting on 4/7 and 3/31. What day are you all going??


3/31

mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:10 pm

idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.

User avatar
SeanORaff33
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SeanORaff33 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:48 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.



I'm living at Laurel Ridge off of 54.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.

idontknowyou
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby idontknowyou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:19 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.


Can you live at Mason Farm's if you don't have a family and not married? Or is that restriction just for baity hill?

mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

idontknowyou wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.


Can you live at Mason Farm's if you don't have a family and not married? Or is that restriction just for baity hill?


Yep, Baity Hill is families, Mason Farm is any grad students. There aren't kids in the Mason farm apartments, so no worries about noise. I don't hear my neighbors anyway though. It's super nice because they let you defer rent payments until your financial aid comes in each semester (and you can defer for the whole summer, as well as a bridge program, so if you get a 1L job somewhere else, you only pay half rent while you're gone)

mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:29 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.



I'm living at Laurel Ridge off of 54.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.


Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are

User avatar
SeanORaff33
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby SeanORaff33 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm

mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.



I'm living at Laurel Ridge off of 54.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.


Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are


Yeah, I toured. It's like 2.5 miles from the law school and like a 25-35 minute bus ride according to google

mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:
mjm1315 wrote:
idontknowyou wrote:Does anyone know where they're living yet?? I started calling apartment leasing offices and quite a few singles have already been completely leased... And I definitely don't want a roommate... I don't want them to witness all the potential breakdowns next year...


I'm getting a house next year, but I lived this year on campus in the family/grad housing and it's very nice. My husband is a pharmacy student and several students in his cohort switched to the 1 bedroom grad apartments from off campus places because of the convenience. All inclusive too which is nice on hot August days when you want the air conditioner on full blast. Probably a 15-20 minute walk to the law school or a quick 5 minute bus ride.



I'm living at Laurel Ridge off of 54.

Anyone have reviews of the complex? I might be in a 1 br, I might be in a 2 town house.


Have you visited before? I know the address is 54, but it's technically almost in Carborro. It's not the 54 that the law school is off of. 54 splits and turns into 15-501, which is where Laurel Ridge is. Still not a bad location and near a good Chinese takeout place and a grocery store, but I didn't want you to think it's super close to the law school like Glen Lennox and Meadowmont are


Yeah, I toured. It's like 2.5 miles from the law school and like a 25-35 minute bus ride according to google
.

Ok great! Just didn't want you to think it was a short walk away. I've seen past students post that anything on 54 is really close, but the roads split so not necessarily everything is walkable on 54.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heyduchess, hotdog96, InterLaw, Ntp73821, OakBrook2021, Publius1, ThatOneAfrican, xinaialice and 8 guests