UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bbmayes

New

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Post by bbmayes » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:12 am

njdevils327 wrote:In today with 17,500 scholly. Anyone know how easy it is to get UNC instate tuition right away? They made it sound easy in the email, but if it's not that's gonna make the school basically an instant elimination for me, since I was expecting more of a scholarship than that and with tuition costs rising year over year I could end up spending a good chunk of change more than I was hoping to for not as great a return on investment.
You have to establish "domicile" for a year or have a parent that claims you who is a resident. I was a resident as an undergrad, pay taxes on 2 houses in NC, but because I changed residency in the military, I'm OOS for admission. They are about as strict with the definition as it gets.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 am

Does their LRAP have a cap? I literally can't find any details on it.

Would it make UNC feasible for someone who'd have to take out 140k to attend?

raeofsunshine

New

Post by raeofsunshine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:32 pm

pirate101 wrote:I just received an email that my application was placed on hold. Is that any better than getting waitlisted? Any tips from anyone?
Have you had any movement on the hold? Happened to me also

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Stylnator wrote:Does their LRAP have a cap? I literally can't find any details on it.

UNC's LRAP is intended to work in combination with the other available loan repayment/forgiveness plans. In other words, it's going to help make up the difference that the public sector loan forgiveness plan and others don't cover. All that being said, please don't take out 140k to attend a regional school. I don't care what regional school it is. Don't do that. I love UNC as much as anybody (went for UG and JD). That being said, I would say 80k is the absolute most that anybody should take out to attend a regional school (and even then, it's gotta have good employment numbers). Just my $0.02. For more info about the UNC LRAP:

http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/finan ... /policies/

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Does their LRAP have a cap? I literally can't find any details on it.

UNC's LRAP is intended to work in combination with the other available loan repayment/forgiveness plans. In other words, it's going to help make up the difference that the public sector loan forgiveness plan and others don't cover. All that being said, please don't take out 140k to attend a regional school. I don't care what regional school it is. Don't do that. I love UNC as much as anybody (went for UG and JD). That being said, I would say 80k is the absolute most that anybody should take out to attend a regional school (and even then, it's gotta have good employment numbers). Just my $0.02. For more info about the UNC LRAP:

http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/finan ... /policies/
I contacted their office and was able to find out a lot more! Basically, it just helps you make your monthly student loan payments. It is not a forgiveness program itself which is the impression that I was under.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 pm

Anyone had any success negotiating schollys? I emailed friday and haven't received a response. I figure because it was a holiday weekend there might not have been much staff on Friday so I'm trying not to sweat it. Just feeling really great about UNC but not so great about what I'd have to pay at this point. I'm so hoping they can help me work something out.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:03 am

BostonOrBust wrote:Anyone had any success negotiating schollys? I emailed friday and haven't received a response. I figure because it was a holiday weekend there might not have been much staff on Friday so I'm trying not to sweat it. Just feeling really great about UNC but not so great about what I'd have to pay at this point. I'm so hoping they can help me work something out.

Im waiting to hear back from a few other schools. Will probably start trying in a few weeks

tncats

Bronze

Post by tncats » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:00 am

Can one of you admitted students please tell me when the admitted student events are? I haven't heard anything back yet, but I want to be hopeful with how I schedule my school visits.

cd1945

New

Post by cd1945 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 am

tncats wrote:Can one of you admitted students please tell me when the admitted student events are? I haven't heard anything back yet, but I want to be hopeful with how I schedule my school visits.
March 31/April 7. It's actually posted on their website for everyone to see.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emilycyoung1

New

Post by emilycyoung1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 am

How long does it take from going complete to getting back a decision? I went complete on Feb. 9 and thought I was going to hear back by now because a lot of people have said you hear back within 2 weeks. My LSAT is in median and GPA is 4.0. Anybody hear back after longer than two weeks?

bbmayes

New

Post by bbmayes » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am

emilycyoung1 wrote:How long does it take from going complete to getting back a decision? I went complete on Feb. 9 and thought I was going to hear back by now because a lot of people have said you hear back within 2 weeks. My LSAT is in median and GPA is 4.0. Anybody hear back after longer than two weeks?
Took about a month to get "held" decision. 161/3.12 but pretty unique WE.

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 pm

FYI for anyone trying to negotiate $$, they responded that they can't award now but will be reevaluating closer to the seat deposit deadline.

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:38 pm

SeanORaff33 wrote:
BostonOrBust wrote:Anyone had any success negotiating schollys? I emailed friday and haven't received a response. I figure because it was a holiday weekend there might not have been much staff on Friday so I'm trying not to sweat it. Just feeling really great about UNC but not so great about what I'd have to pay at this point. I'm so hoping they can help me work something out.

Im waiting to hear back from a few other schools. Will probably start trying in a few weeks
I keep reading in old threads that they do not negotiate. Im hoping this isn't the case still!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cd1945

New

Post by cd1945 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Any word on the c/o 2020 FB page?

BostonOrBust

Bronze

Post by BostonOrBust » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:27 am

Giro423 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:

I keep reading in old threads that they do not negotiate. Im hoping this isn't the case still!
It was absolutely not a blanket no at this point, so I'm hoping they'll be more flexible. UNC is a top choice for me, but it's truly difficult to justify the loan amount when I have full at other schools, even if they're lower ranked.

Giro423

Bronze

Post by Giro423 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:34 pm

BostonOrBust wrote:
Giro423 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:

It was absolutely not a blanket no at this point, so I'm hoping they'll be more flexible. UNC is a top choice for me, but it's truly difficult to justify the loan amount when I have full at other schools, even if they're lower ranked.
Good to know, I'm going to try next week most likely. I'll keep you all posted.

Kreigler

New

Post by Kreigler » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Giro423 wrote:
SeanORaff33 wrote:

I asked about scholarship negotiations on my tour in October. They said that they will be negotiating this year even though they have not some years in the past. Hopefully they have not changed their minds since then
Last edited by Kreigler on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kreigler

New

Post by Kreigler » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:02 am

In 12/20 with $$. I finally stopped lurking on TLS haha. If anyone has any questions about Chapel Hill or the surrounding area I am happy to answer them. I am from Chapel Hill and went to UNC for undergrad. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! UNC is a great place for so many reasons.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:09 am

Kreigler wrote:In 12/20 with $$. I finally stopped lurking on TLS haha. If anyone has any questions about Chapel Hill or the surrounding area I am happy to answer them. I am from Chapel Hill and went to UNC for undergrad. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! UNC is a great place for so many reasons.

I am looking for the absolute cheapest apartments that allow dogs and is still either walk/bike distance or on the bus line. Where should I be looking?

Kreigler

New

Post by Kreigler » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:56 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:
Kreigler wrote:In 12/20 with $$. I finally stopped lurking on TLS haha. If anyone has any questions about Chapel Hill or the surrounding area I am happy to answer them. I am from Chapel Hill and went to UNC for undergrad. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! UNC is a great place for so many reasons.

I am looking for the absolute cheapest apartments that allow dogs and is still either walk/bike distance or on the bus line. Where should I be looking?
The Villages Apartments in Carrboro and Chelsea Commons (I think now called 180 west or something) are two complexes right next to each other and they're on a bus line. I know there are some other apartments along NC 54 that students live in called kingswood and Laurel ridge. They are also on a direct bus line. I think most of them allow dogs. These are probably the cheapest options that I know of.

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:17 pm

Not sure if anyone else saw the ridiculous proposal by the UNC Board of Governors to end the legal work of UNC centers, but here's some info!

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/ ... 16094.html

Would encourage folks to write to the Board of Governors as prospective students to urge them to reject this proposal. I did today, and apparently they've received 27 emails so far against this. Even if the Center for Civil Rights doesn't sound like your thing (which would be unfortunate, but alas, I'm not here to convince anyone that civil rights matter), still this move has a lot of negative ramifications for UNC's reputation as a whole. DM me if you want the email for the Board, or you can just search it in Google. There's a standard public comment email that any board member's contact info will send you to.
Last edited by dmc1275 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Did anybody else get their financial aid reward (grant, not scholarship)? I got an email saying mine was ready but I can't access it through the website they gave. I'm annoyed

Edit: Nevermind. I accessed it. I just don't know what it means. Lol

jlobrien14

New

Post by jlobrien14 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 am

dmc1275 wrote:Not sure if anyone else saw the ridiculous proposal by the UNC Board of Governors to basically eliminate all clinical law programs in the UNC system, but here's some info!

Would encourage folks to write to the Board of Governors as prospective students to urge them to reject this proposal. I did today, and apparently they've received 27 emails so far against this. Even if the Center for Civil Rights doesn't sound like your thing (which would be unfortunate, but alas, I'm not here to convince anyone that civil rights matter), still this move has a lot of negative ramifications for UNC's reputation as a whole. DM me if you want the email for the Board, or you can just search it in Google. There's a standard public comment email that any board member's contact info will send you to.

Dude, this is a total misrepresentation of what the proposal does. It does not "basically eliminate all clinical law programs in the UNC system." It prevents the UNC Center for Civil Rights (not a clinical program at UNC Law) from suing private entities. It's kind of like a think tank within the school - you are waayyyyy overstating this. It also wouldn't eliminate the Center for Civil Rights, so I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say it would have a lot of negative ramifications for UNCs reputation as a whole. Take it down a notch.

SeanORaff33

Bronze

Post by SeanORaff33 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:07 am

jlobrien14 wrote:
dmc1275 wrote:Not sure if anyone else saw the ridiculous proposal by the UNC Board of Governors to basically eliminate all clinical law programs in the UNC system, but here's some info!

Dude, this is a total misrepresentation of what the proposal does. It does not "basically eliminate all clinical law programs in the UNC system." It prevents the UNC Center for Civil Rights (not a clinical program at UNC Law) from suing private entities. It's kind of like a think tank within the school - you are waayyyyy overstating this. It also wouldn't eliminate the Center for Civil Rights, so I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say it would have a lot of negative ramifications for UNCs reputation as a whole. Take it down a notch.

And it explicitly states that the proposal would only apply to the Center for Civil Rights. I wish the measure wasnt being proposed but what was originally descrbed is vastly different from whats in that aticle

dmc1275

New

Post by dmc1275 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:56 am

SeanORaff33 wrote:
jlobrien14 wrote:

And it explicitly states that the proposal would only apply to the Center for Civil Rights. I wish the measure wasnt being proposed but what was originally descrbed is vastly different from whats in that aticle
Okay okay so I admit I misunderstood the clinical portion based on the article. I'm going to edit my original post to be more precise. I read the full proposal and the board member's memorandum, and I see now that this only applies to "centers and institutes." That said, clinics at other schools pursue challenges all the time that are pretty much exactly like the ones the Center for Civil Rights pursues, and I find all the arguments distinguishing clinics and centers as justifications that already had the end goal in mind of eliminating the center's legal work. I guess you're right in saying it won't "eliminate" the center. Just fundamentally will change what it is able to do and what it was founded to do. Regardless of how you feel about it, it's the kind of thing that will drive public interest-minded students away from UNC, and is a pretty clear instance of the board, which has micromanaged a bunch of programs already in the past, working to shut down the activities of a center whose politics it doesn't agree with as a whole.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”