UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mjm1315
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:23 pm

UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby mjm1315 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm probably the first to be admitted- because I deferred and I'm already in :wink:

I submitted my application last year around 11/20 and got in 12/03, so they were very quick! My scholarship offer went to the spam folder, so make sure you keep an eye out for that.

Good luck and excited to see who else will be going to UNC next year! Chapel Hill is an awesome little town.

20170322
Posts: 3251
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby 20170322 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Submitted mid-October. Didn't finish my supplemental app until a few days ago.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 489
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 pm

Wouldn't mind going here. I visited Chapel Hill during Hurricane Matthew, so I feel like I can say I've seen the worst of NC weather. I really like the state and area.

Just seems like the merit aid is a little stingy compared to the school's peers. Seems like it's hard for out-of-staters to go here without taking on too much debt. I guess we'll see how this cycle plays out, maybe they shell out more $.

User avatar
hipcatdaddio
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby hipcatdaddio » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:57 am

Hi all, I'm a 3L at UNC. I can answer any questions here or via PM. As far as aid goes, UNC will always offer less than peer schools, mostly because it's funded by the North Carolina General Assembly and they're pretty stingy, especially in recent years. However, the new dean, Dean Brinkley has done an excellent job fundraising from alumni, including an all-time high over this past year. Ideally, this will translate into more scholarships offered, or more competitive scholarships offered.

Best of luck to everybody. Be sure to choose the school that fits you, your financial situation, and your goals best.

User avatar
GriefBacon
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby GriefBacon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Does anyone know how UNC deals with deferrals for residency?

I'm a North Carolina native, and would love to move back and practice there. My parents are there (though that's not a selling point), I still have an NC driver's license, and I still vote in NC. I know NC is super strict about residency, and I totally respect that. This is putting the cart before the horse a bit (I'm still finishing up my UNC application at this point), but if I were to be accepted and deferred for a year, would I be allowed to establish residency during that time? I feel pretty certain I could make the case for a bona fide domicile, being that I've retained certain advantages of residency that make it clear I intended to return.

(I would qualify for residency in a new state, if I chose that state's public law school...but the difference in in-state tuition between the two would, over the course of 3 years, be more than the what a year at UNC costs)

lawcapture
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawcapture » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Anyone heard back on UNC yet? Typically first admits are this week... grew up in Chapel Hill + went here for undergrad and absolutely loved it

User avatar
trmckenz
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby trmckenz » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:53 pm

GriefBacon wrote:Does anyone know how UNC deals with deferrals for residency?

I'm a North Carolina native, and would love to move back and practice there. My parents are there (though that's not a selling point), I still have an NC driver's license, and I still vote in NC. I know NC is super strict about residency, and I totally respect that. This is putting the cart before the horse a bit (I'm still finishing up my UNC application at this point), but if I were to be accepted and deferred for a year, would I be allowed to establish residency during that time? I feel pretty certain I could make the case for a bona fide domicile, being that I've retained certain advantages of residency that make it clear I intended to return.

(I would qualify for residency in a new state, if I chose that state's public law school...but the difference in in-state tuition between the two would, over the course of 3 years, be more than the what a year at UNC costs)


Admissions told me that 80% of law student residency requests are accepted... I don't think you will have a problem getting in-state tuition for years 2 and 3. Any scholarship for out-of-state tuition gets prorated and applied to the in-state tuition amount.

Faithneverfails
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Faithneverfails » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Has anyone gotten acceptance notices yet? My application just went complete today after completing the supplemental application yesterday. The application process opened on 10/1 so I am wondering if anyone has heard anything.

lawcapture
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawcapture » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:18 pm

Faithneverfails wrote:Has anyone gotten acceptance notices yet? My application just went complete today after completing the supplemental application yesterday. The application process opened on 10/1 so I am wondering if anyone has heard anything.


Don't think so, I applied around noon on 10/1 and submitted my supplment two days later and went complete within a few days. No word which is weird considering they almost always release the first wave of decisions in late november

Faithneverfails
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Faithneverfails » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:17 pm

I heard the applicant pool was down this year, like not as many people so they could be holding out.

User avatar
smashbash
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby smashbash » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:10 pm

Just submitted my app! Took me a little longer to submit this one since I pretty much had to write a whole new PS.

User avatar
smashbash
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby smashbash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:05 am

Hopefully there will be some movement this week... last year decisions were sent out as early as November. Either way mine will probably be a minute because I just sent my app in over the weekend, but still hoping that they'll get this party started for those of you that submitted earlier

User avatar
smashbash
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby smashbash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Faithneverfails wrote:My application just went complete today after completing the supplemental application yesterday.


How soon after getting your status checker email did you get sent the supplemental app? I still haven't received it and I received the status checker email like at 6 am (MST).

User avatar
trmckenz
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby trmckenz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:01 pm

In today via email - scholarship info is supposedly being sent in another email, but it is posted on the status checker too.

User avatar
Giro423
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Giro423 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:22 pm

In today via email, may end up being a strong option for me.

lawcapture
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby lawcapture » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:39 pm

also in, go heels

User avatar
smashbash
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby smashbash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:57 pm

lawcapture wrote:also in, go heels
Giro423 wrote:In today via email, may end up being a strong option for me.
trmckenz wrote:In today via email - scholarship info is supposedly being sent in another email, but it is posted on the status checker too.


congrats guys!! I just saw on LSN that there was movement and got excited!

User avatar
Giro423
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:26 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby Giro423 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:02 pm

smashbash wrote:
lawcapture wrote:also in, go heels
Giro423 wrote:In today via email, may end up being a strong option for me.
trmckenz wrote:In today via email - scholarship info is supposedly being sent in another email, but it is posted on the status checker too.


congrats guys!! I just saw on LSN that there was movement and got excited!


thanks! yayuhhhh

cd1945
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby cd1945 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Congrats yall! Lets get the party started!

Checking in btw! Went complete 11/23, UNC is at the top of my list, hopefully hear from them soon.

atlantahoo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby atlantahoo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:32 pm

In via status checker! Does anyone know if the scholarship info they list is yearly or cumulative?

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby carasrook » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 pm

also in! hoping the status checker scholarship amount is per year...

User avatar
smashbash
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby smashbash » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:01 pm

How long did it take you guys to hear back? I know this was the first wave, but I'm wondering if any of you applied late November-ish or if all you applied earlier..

josh9308
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby josh9308 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:09 am

Ok people, make sure you check your status checker for scholly info. The email didn't list anything, but status checker gave a scholly info. As you guys said, I hope that info is per year and not per 3 years... based on past LSN users it seems like it's per year. The scholly bit on the status checker says for Fall 2017 Term, so, again, I'm thinking it's per year.
Last edited by josh9308 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

josh9308
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby josh9308 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:17 am

smashbash wrote:How long did it take you guys to hear back? I know this was the first wave, but I'm wondering if any of you applied late November-ish or if all you applied earlier..

Submitted like 10/25, but with all the damn supplemental info, I probably went complete like 10/30

User avatar
dianersg
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:09 am

Re: UNC c/o 2020 applicants (2016-2017)

Postby dianersg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:26 am

In yesterday via email! Does anyone know if receiving a scholarship amount means I am not being considered for Chancellor's? I am pretty sure that my numbers would at least guarantee consideration, but the status checker shows a $17,500 per year scholly.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests